PDA

View Full Version : Is my refrigerator running?

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 02:12 PM
Okay, it's running, but I think I have a problem with it. Shit inside gets wet. Say I stick in a bag of rolls or whatnot to keep them from drying up. Water will accumulate inside the bag after a while. I understand why this would happen if i put a container of warm food inside of it, but this is room-temperature stuff we're talking about. Also, my package of cheese had water collect inside. Same with my fucking margarine. I open the lid and see water droplets on it. WTF?

I can't tell 100% if this should or should not be happening because I have no experience with leaving food in there for that long. Back home there were 5 of us, so food went pretty quickly.

Kiko
5th July 10, 02:28 PM
When you say 'bag', are you talking paper, ziplock, plastic or hopefully not burlap?

What setting is the fridge on? Is the milk going bad?

Some have a humidity setting, but I've only seen it on the bins where you put veggies or cold-cuts.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 02:38 PM
It's a plastic bag, like the ones that bread comes in for example. Not exactly air-tight, but I didn't think there would be that much moisture inside of it. I need to put paper towels inside to soak up the moisture, otherwise the bread gets soggy.

The milk goes bad maybe a bit sooner than the expiration date, which I guess should be a red flag that it's not set cold enough.

Kiko
5th July 10, 02:44 PM
Invest in some ziplocks. See if they help. Maybe get some cheap containers too.

Um.. put the bread in the toaster for a little bit?

Either drink more milk or buy a smaller container.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 03:00 PM
The milk goes bad a day or two before the expiration date at most, so it's not really that big a deal. I already buy the smallest containers and eat cereal almost every day for breakfast. It's only really a problem when I decide not to eat cereal for a few days for whatever reason (usually just cuz I get sick of it).

I have ziplocks already. I might just have to transfer everything to them instead of leaving them in the regular bags. What about the margarine, though? I never remembered opening the container and seeing water droplets on the bottom of the lid before. It's weird.

The cheese was in a resealable package, too. Maybe not as good as a ziplock, though...

Kiko
5th July 10, 03:03 PM
Inside the lid?

Condensation means make it colder...

Steve
5th July 10, 03:06 PM
What does your fridge sound like? I mean is it constantly running or does it seem like you never hear it at all? Did this just start pretty recently without screwing around with the temp setting and how cold do you have it turned to now?

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 03:12 PM
It's been going on forever, and I don't know what it sounds like to be honest. I just checked the temp settings and it was on 4 out of 7, so I stuck it on 5.5. Though I would have thought warmer = less condensation, since coldness makes condensation easier...

jubei33
5th July 10, 03:35 PM
try a box of baking soda.

sounds like it might be going.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 03:39 PM
I thought baking soda only captured smells and shit?

It could be breaking down, I guess. I don't know how long it's been here. I'll do some more tests (ziplock bags, baking soda, different temperatures), and if shit is still getting wet, I'll just call up the housing people and have them tell me to fuck off or something.

jubei33
5th July 10, 03:50 PM
even better, you could get a box of a desiccant salt, like calcium sulfate or some silica. you can reuse it to, throw it in an over for an hour or two.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 03:54 PM
I'll try that. Is that something I can buy at a grocery store? That salt stuff?

Spade: The Real Snake
5th July 10, 04:01 PM
Is this at your apartment? Call the superintendent if it is their unit. If your food is spoiling because of a faulty accoutrement of the unit, they could possibly be on the hook for replacement of the groceries, as this happened to me while living in SF.

It is likely the compressor is going and/or needs some refrigerant. It might also be dried/cracked seals allowing for moisture or humidity to get into the unit and/or not allowing it to be as cold as it could be.

How hot is your apartment? The hotter the outside of the unit, the harder it has to work. Is it getting decent airflow behind it? Is the intake fan working properly or is it all gunked up and full of crap and hair and shit?

Also, Randy Nickle is correct. Get a box of baking soda and silica for absorbency

Ajamil
5th July 10, 04:10 PM
You know that's a "sell by" date, right? Milk should be good at least two/three days after the date. As long as you're not leaving it out. And it really does sound like simple condensation. Make your fridge colder.

Edit: You know what? Making your fridge colder sounds very silly unless you've gone for a year with an unplugged fridge. Nevermind.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 04:10 PM
Is this at your apartment? Call the superintendent if it is their unit. If your food is spoiling because of a faulty accoutrement of the unit, they could possibly be on the hook for replacement of the groceries, as this happened to me while living in SF.

I won't charge them for groceries as I spend like $30 every two weeks or something like that (I eat out a lot).

But my main point for this thread was to determine if this is supposed to happen or not, and I'm guessing the answer is "no".

5th July 10, 04:17 PM
I won't charge them for groceries as I spend like $30 every two weeks or something like that (I eat out a lot).
It happened to me and the building owner was really super concerned to know that I could bill them for spoiled groceries.....SF tenants laws

But my main point for this thread was to determine if this is supposed to happen or not, and I'm guessing the answer is "no".
well, you are in SoCal, now, right?
you are going to get more condensation then you did in Washington, because of the larger disparity between ambient temperature in the apartment and inside the fridge...but what you are describing is indicative of the unit needing servicing.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 04:31 PM
But there is way less humidity here than in Washington.

partyboy
5th July 10, 04:32 PM
Same with my fucking margarine

and now we all know what Poops uses for lube...

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 04:33 PM
Oddly enough, my non-fucking margarine is just fine.

Ajamil
5th July 10, 05:06 PM
Humidity wouldn't be as important as dewpoint in determining condensation.

Yay Meteorology 101 had a point!

jubei33
5th July 10, 05:08 PM
I'll try that. Is that something I can buy at a grocery store? That salt stuff?

Sometimes, but you could probably go over to one of the chemistry labs at your school and ask nicely if 'professor Meoff' can have some for some kind of experiment. Its not really that expensive, you could buy it in jars and such from a chemical supplier, but then you have a ton lying around with you looking like al qaeda receiving large quantities of bulk chemicals.

if its just something small, like a leaky door seal them you might be able to work it out with regular baking soda.

Ajamil
5th July 10, 05:12 PM
Silica packets come in a lot of packaged things for the purpose of keeping them dry. All those little doods that have DO NOT EAT printed all over it.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ate-silica.jpg

Save them up and keep them in a corner of the fridge.

JohnnyCache
5th July 10, 06:04 PM
jesus. First, stop putting bread in the fridge. My mom does that and it annoys the crap out of me. Put your bread in a roughly bread sized plastic tub, in indirect sunlight.

@arjuna you can buy huge jars of that stuff and not have to save them like a hobo. You can get it at gun stores, sporting goods places, cigar shops, etc.

What are you doing to your milk? Milk should be decent days after the sell-by. And it actually doesn't need to be kept all that cool if it's pasteurized. (organic milk in a paper carton should be drinkable for 10-14 days after the sell by)

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 07:10 PM
jesus. First, stop putting bread in the fridge. My mom does that and it annoys the crap out of me. Put your bread in a roughly bread sized plastic tub, in indirect sunlight.
And watch it get dry and hard in less than a day?

What are you doing to your milk? Milk should be decent days after the sell-by. And it actually doesn't need to be kept all that cool if it's pasteurized. (organic milk in a paper carton should be drinkable for 10-14 days after the sell by)

Absolutely nothing. I just keep it in the fridge, in the bottle it came in, opening it only to pour some into a bowl and promptly putting it back in. Perhaps it's just Albertson's that's shitty?

Humidity wouldn't be as important as dewpoint in determining condensation.

Yay Meteorology 101 had a point!

Dew point depends on relative humidity. Yay physics!

JohnnyCache
5th July 10, 07:35 PM
bottle? It comes...in a bottle? Where do you live, the fifties?

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 07:53 PM
bottle? It comes...in a bottle? Where do you live, the fifties?

The fuck do you call something like this, then?

https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/images/eCommerce/catProdSearch/product/041163/04116369030.jpg

SFGOON
5th July 10, 07:54 PM
If you don't want to go defraud Prof. Mehoff out of dessicant salts, just buy your own at Walgreen's.

Get some Epsom Salts, slap 'em in the oven, cool them in an airtight container, (shut) then burp it open an pop it in the fridge.

Bada-bing, bada bang.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 08:29 PM
Can't I just stick an open box of cotton balls in the fridge?

SoulMechanic
5th July 10, 08:30 PM
Get a damn breadbox motherfucker. From your photo, I would wager you already know your way around a walmart.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 08:35 PM
How is a bread box different than leaving it in the bag?

SFGOON
5th July 10, 08:59 PM
Can't I just stick an open box of cotton balls in the fridge?

No. You need a salt with the electrochemical properties to hold a lot of water (many of them do.)

Before you ask, a magnet will not work.

How did I know you were going to ask that?

SoulMechanic
5th July 10, 09:04 PM
It keeps the bread in a cool(er) dry and dark place. If the bread is still in the plastic bag or a ziploc bag for that matter your bread should stay moist and fluffy on the inside with the integrity of the crust intact to boot. Granted, the breadbox does not keep the bread fresh for as long as the fridge does. But I hate cold and soggy bread, that and the fact that the breadbox keeps a loaf and any pastries I may have fresh for roughly 7-8 days I never have a problem with my bread going stale figuring I go through one loaf a week. As for your cheese, wrap that shit in a cheesecloth then place it in a ziploc. Now you have two cheep things on your walmart shopping list.

Steve
5th July 10, 09:13 PM
If you really want your bread to last a long time, slap it in the freezer then toast it when you want to make a sandwich or whatever. I learned that trick from an old gf but then she only used bread to make toast for breakfast.

Also, I'm thirding keeping bread and other products (like tortillas, for instance) out of the fridge. It just tastes better at room temperature and you don't have to worry about the crap you're dealing with.

5th July 10, 09:15 PM
The fuck do you call something like this, then?

https://shop.albertsons.com/eCommerceWeb/images/eCommerce/catProdSearch/product/041163/04116369030.jpg
That is a jug. A JUG of milk

This (http://www.rd.ca/cms/images/image/galleries2007/cutwaste_milk.jpg) is a carton of milk

This (http://www.freefoto.com/images/09/20/09_20_51---Bottle-of-milk_web.jpg) is a bottle of milk

and quit buying Wonder Bread

5th July 10, 09:17 PM
. Now you have two cheep things on your walmart shopping list.
Three.
He needs some more tightie-whities.

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 11:18 PM
Let's get a few things sorted here. THESE are jugs:

http://www.google.com/images?q=jugs&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Just look at the image searches.

Secondly, I say "bread" because I assume you knuckle-draggers don't know what to do with a roll. I only buy the fresh-baked shit.

Third, seven to eight days??? Jeez... three to four and my shit gets as hard as a rock.

Ajamil
6th July 10, 12:04 AM
@arjuna you can buy huge jars of that stuff and not have to save them like a hobo. You can get it at gun stores, sporting goods places, cigar shops, etc. They're already giving it to me. It's free. Not even asking for it. Why am I buying it again?

Dew point depends on relative humidity. Yay physics!
Grr, no. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point)

Associated with, not dependent on, determines specific, and determines the temp of condensation.

WarPhalange
6th July 10, 12:07 AM
I hate Mountain Dew.

Adouglasmhor
6th July 10, 12:54 AM
That is a jug. A JUG of milk

This (http://www.rd.ca/cms/images/image/galleries2007/cutwaste_milk.jpg) is a carton of milk

This (http://www.freefoto.com/images/09/20/09_20_51---Bottle-of-milk_web.jpg) is a bottle of milk

and quit buying Wonder Bread

That was going to be my question - is it Chorley Wood process bread you are keeping in your fridge?

Get a breadbin or better a bread crock. Get your fridge serviced. Most Bread will go stale quicker in the fridge because of "retrogradation" of starch crystals (around 6 times faster at fridge temp than room temp). Freeze Half and use half.

SoulMechanic
6th July 10, 02:08 AM
Arjuna is right, king Poopy is wrong.

bob
6th July 10, 02:47 AM
Defrost that sucker.

sochin101
6th July 10, 02:55 AM
Check your door seal.
If it's become brittle/rigid, it could be allowing warm moist air into the fridge.
This would also make the fridge work extra hard.
If the seal is cracked, or there are noticeable gaps/undulations, it's probably worth changing the seal (if that's possible).

The other thing to try on a stiff seal is a hair dryer. Warm the seal up until it becomes soft and then shut the door and hope that the undulations come out and the thing compresses how it should.
This will really only work on a stiff/undulating/kinked seal.

Also, there are many, many innuendos in there. Knock yourselves out.

Ajamil
6th July 10, 07:56 AM
Bad seal is why I turned my fridge off. That thing would run for around a half hour, then only pause for about 10-15 minutes before kicking in again.

That and I only really kept milk and butter in there. Easier to just buy sparingly.

6th July 10, 08:57 AM
Check your door seal.
If it's become brittle/rigid, it could be allowing warm moist air into the fridge.
This would also make the fridge work extra hard.
If the seal is cracked, or there are noticeable gaps/undulations, it's probably worth changing the seal (if that's possible).

The other thing to try on a stiff seal is a hair dryer. Warm the seal up until it becomes soft and then shut the door and hope that the undulations come out and the thing compresses how it should.
This will really only work on a stiff/undulating/kinked seal.

Also, there are many, many innuendos in there. Knock yourselves out.

^^^ and this is why Sochin has gotten a little 'sumthinsumthin' from all the neighborhood birds.

SFGOON
6th July 10, 10:09 AM
Defrost that sucker.

Yeah.

At sub-freezing temperature, ice sublimates into water vapor (much like dry ice.) If you've got loads of frost in your freezer, it's possible that water vapor is migrating from the freezer into the refrigerator and depositing on the foods and shit.

Worth a shot.

KO'd N DOA
6th July 10, 10:17 AM
Q - Is your refridgerator running?

A - Yes...

Punch line - Then you better go catch it!!

I rue the day call display was invented.

WarPhalange
6th July 10, 11:12 AM
Arjuna is right, king Poopy is wrong.

It happens. Even to me. :(

WarPhalange
6th July 10, 11:19 AM

A - Yes...

I rue the day call display was invented.

That's what I was thinking of while writing the title. :)

GOON: No frost in my freezer.

nihilist
7th July 10, 11:07 AM

A - Yes...

I resisted the urge to post that along with the PL phrase LOL! AMIRITE?

It took a good deal of self-control.

Aaranar
7th July 10, 11:50 AM
I'd have to second checking the door seal.

What you may want to try is putting thermometers in the freezer and fridge and see what temps you are getting over a few days. You can probably look up the fridge you have and see what temps it should be getting at what settings.

nihilist
7th July 10, 12:04 PM
refrigerant.