PDA

View Full Version : Problems with rice

Tyrsmann
5th July 10, 01:50 PM
Hey folks

I've been eating alot of rice lately. Nothing too exciting just simple stuff out of a packet. Anyway when I'm done cooking it and Scooping it out of the pan I find that a portion of it sticks to the pan. This makes me feel kind of guilty since I feel like I'm wasting it. What can I do to get less rice to stick to the pan?

Aphid Jones
5th July 10, 01:54 PM
You probably have the heat on too high. Cook it on a slightly lower temperature for a longer period of time. After it's finished cooking, let it sit for at least 10 minutes with the lid on; this will help "steam" off rice stuck to the pot in a manner similar to deglazing.

Kiko
5th July 10, 01:58 PM
Microwaving cooks it nice, even and easy. For about a cup of rice, 5 minutes on high and then 25 on half power. See if your nuker has a 'rice' setting.

Ajamil
5th July 10, 03:17 PM
Both of those are awesome. Thanks, guys. What type of rice are you eating? Basmati? Long grain? Salted/spiced/plain white? Wild? Uncle Ben's?

WarPhalange
5th July 10, 03:34 PM
Give me brown rice or give me death!

jubei33
5th July 10, 03:41 PM
you could also get a rice cooker. those keep the rice ready for you when you want it. You could try at one of those asian foods stores or order online (http://www.target.com/Rice-Cookers-Steamers-Kitchen-Appliances/b?ie=UTF8&node=3518671) target has a zojirushi there, but its kind of expensive. We had one of those without complaint.

Adouglasmhor
5th July 10, 04:03 PM
Both of those are awesome. Thanks, guys. What type of rice are you eating? Basmati? Long grain? Salted/spiced/plain white? Wild? Uncle Ben's?

Brown Basmati or Brown American Long Grain.

billy sol hurok
5th July 10, 06:19 PM
you could also get a rice cooker. those keep the rice ready for you when you want it.
They're the joint. Even our no-name crappo twennybuck unit has been idiot proof for well over 10 years.

But rice can stick to it as well; does better with a little spritz of Pam on the bottom.

Basmati ftw.

SFGOON
5th July 10, 06:23 PM
You could add a little bit of boric acid to the water. This will keep it from sticking to anything including the inner wall of your intestines, giving you a case of the shits you won't believe. No malice here, mind you. Just a funny prank. Post pics!

billy sol hurok
5th July 10, 06:31 PM
Bork acid ya say?

Z1PPM7q4ziY

SoulMechanic
5th July 10, 06:52 PM
3rding rice cooker. Jasmine rice FTW.

DAYoung
5th July 10, 07:18 PM
Rice cooker with basmati or jasmin.

I have spoken.

Kiko
5th July 10, 07:46 PM
JNY64nYD_fQ

bob
5th July 10, 07:50 PM
Cous-cous > rice

[the final word]

SoulMechanic
5th July 10, 08:08 PM
Cous-cous =I am a homosexual

[the final word]

bob
5th July 10, 08:55 PM
I'm comfortable with that.

Ajamil
5th July 10, 11:41 PM
Basmati rice lightly salted and cooked with tumeric till pasty, add oregano. Eat with dahl and chapati for Hare Krishna rice and bean burrito - even throw on some sour cream (or unsweetened yoghurt for authentic).

Oh, and scrape the pot.

DAYoung
6th July 10, 01:28 AM
BornSceptic, stop trying to hurt the gluten intolerant.

bob
6th July 10, 01:30 AM
My ricist attitude > your intolerance.

DAYoung
6th July 10, 01:33 AM
My ricist attitude > your intolerance.

You cook Nazi Goreng.

bob
6th July 10, 02:02 AM
I can't help my deeply in-grained prejudices.

DAYoung
6th July 10, 02:24 AM
I can't help my deeply in-grained prejudices.

You love risOtto Strasser.

SoulMechanic
6th July 10, 02:31 AM
Do not forget about Uncle Benito and his minute rice.

Shotgun Christening
12th July 10, 06:42 AM
The Uncle Bens rice bags are good an easy. They also make a single serving cup. I think its brown rice only though. I like brown rice better but I make my own sushi so I use medium grain white quite a bit.

Ming Loyalist
12th July 10, 08:45 AM
i second the suggestion for a zojirushi rice cooker. it even plays you a nice melody when your rice is ready.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
12th July 10, 02:50 PM
Non stick pan.

Cullion
12th July 10, 02:55 PM
Thai Jasmine and Cous Cous man when I'm not eating a paleo diet.

Angry Mandrill
12th July 10, 02:59 PM
buckwheat groats

Adouglasmhor
12th July 10, 03:45 PM
buckwheat groats

Is that the same as kasha? If so I agree.

Shotgun Christening
12th July 10, 09:04 PM
Thai Jasmine and Cous Cous man when I'm not eating a paleo diet.

I love me sum cous cous. I stir fry it (after cooking) with vegetables and teryaki sauce.

Angry Mandrill
12th July 10, 09:36 PM
Is that the same as kasha? If so I agree.

yessir. groats, kasha, all the same. cook it up the same as rice, way tastier though.

Kiko
13th July 10, 07:14 PM
http://www.picturesofwalls.com/Database/Filestore/rice.jpeg