PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Is Pissed OFF !!

OZZ
3rd July 10, 12:09 PM
They pissed off Arny..
Look out!

Patriotic cover-up has Schwarzenegger fuming

1 hour, 11 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger voiced his anger at state highway workers who painted over a patriotic mural after deeming it graffiti.

The former Hollywood action hero was left fuming on Friday after learning that the 35-foot (10.5-meter) mural of the Stars and Stripes -- painted as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks -- had now been painted grey.

The flag image had adorned a concrete embankment near the busy Interstate 680 freeway linking San Francisco with Silicon Valley before it was painted over by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) just days ahead of the July 4 holiday.

"It has come to my attention that Caltrans has recently removed a patriotic and meaningful flag mural that was painted on the side of Interstate 680 following the tragic events of 9-11," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

"To do so only days before we celebrate our independence and reflect on the freedoms we are lucky enough to enjoy in America is unconscionable.

"I extend my apologies to the artists whose mural inspired drivers along 680 for over eight and a half years."

The artist who painted the mural was reportedly baffled by the decision to transform the mural into a featureless slab of grey concrete.

"It should not be classified as graffiti," Eric Noda was quoted as saying by KTVU-TV. "I mean it was a well-done flag and I felt like it's part of America

Tyrsmann
3rd July 10, 12:16 PM
They pissed off Arny..
Look out!

Patriotic cover-up has Schwarzenegger fuming

1 hour, 11 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger voiced his anger at state highway workers who painted over a patriotic mural after deeming it graffiti.

The former Hollywood action hero was left fuming on Friday after learning that the 35-foot (10.5-meter) mural of the Stars and Stripes -- painted as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks -- had now been painted grey.

The flag image had adorned a concrete embankment near the busy Interstate 680 freeway linking San Francisco with Silicon Valley before it was painted over by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) just days ahead of the July 4 holiday.

"It has come to my attention that Caltrans has recently removed a patriotic and meaningful flag mural that was painted on the side of Interstate 680 following the tragic events of 9-11," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

"To do so only days before we celebrate our independence and reflect on the freedoms we are lucky enough to enjoy in America is unconscionable.

"I extend my apologies to the artists whose mural inspired drivers along 680 for over eight and a half years."

The artist who painted the mural was reportedly baffled by the decision to transform the mural into a featureless slab of grey concrete.

"It should not be classified as graffiti," Eric Noda was quoted as saying by KTVU-TV. "I mean it was a well-done flag and I felt like it's part of America

That is pretty stupid.

HappyOldGuy
3rd July 10, 12:19 PM
How is it possible there is no ass in bureaucrat.

I hate english.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 12:19 PM
I approve. American flags are eyesores.

Robot Jesus
3rd July 10, 12:33 PM
this raises a more interesting question. if what is typically termed grafiiti can be art, what is the point is it tolerated?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 12:34 PM
When whoever owns the wall decides it is.

Ajamil
3rd July 10, 02:33 PM
Agreed. Graffiti artists basically give their work away to whoever owns the canvas for free, so they can't complain when the owner does whatever they want with it.

In this case, however, the "owner" is the govt. and it seems different parts of the govt. wanted different things. This shoiuld've been cleared up years ago - either by removing it at the earliest convenience or accepting it as non-commissioned art and leaving it.

The artist in this case has nothing to complain about. Legally he defaced property and got away with it for years and still won't get fined or arrested.

resolve
3rd July 10, 09:12 PM
It seems there's some confusion about this from this article.

There were 3 artists.

They painted it on a concrete slab THEY MADE NEAR the highway, not on the highway. There was a flyover during the broadcast I saw which showed it, it was about 70 feet from the highway on a hillside.

It was done as a mural tribute to 9/11.

CALTRANS determined it was on highway property and thus graffiti. There was no other California government involved.

I saw this on the TV news on the local News Station KSFX so no quote or link source, sorry.

WarPhalange
3rd July 10, 09:24 PM
Can't they just Photoshop it back?

resolve
3rd July 10, 10:33 PM
Arnold invited them to paint it again with a small "I'm sorry, but here's something for your troubles" stipend I'm guessing.

I don't see how this is really newsworthy honestly.

HappyOldGuy
3rd July 10, 11:04 PM
It seems there's some confusion about this from this article.

There were 3 artists.

They painted it on a concrete slab THEY MADE NEAR the highway, not on the highway. There was a flyover during the broadcast I saw which showed it, it was about 70 feet from the highway on a hillside.

It was done as a mural tribute to 9/11.

CALTRANS determined it was on highway property and thus graffiti. There was no other California government involved.

I saw this on the TV news on the local News Station KSFX so no quote or link source, sorry.
No, the wall already existed and on state property. It is back a long ways from the freeway, which apparently is why caltrans didn't it realize at first.

It's still tone deaf stupidity to paint over it right before the 4th.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_15422157
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24117983/detail.html

Ajamil
3rd July 10, 11:12 PM
Think they could sue CALTRANS for desecrating an American flag? Is that still illegal?