PDA

View Full Version : Buying and wearing second-hand clothes from eb4y - ewww

Harpy
1st July 10, 08:27 PM
Does anyone here do that?

There are some ladies at the office who buy shoes and clothes that are second hand off e-Bay. One in particular who is 5 months pregnant was in my office talking about buying "6 tops for $17".

She said one of the articles of clothing was "worn" but all in all, she was happy with the great deal she got.

Ewwww.

Ewwww. I don't know what to say anymore.

fes_fsa
1st July 10, 08:35 PM
it's kind of pointless to buy new maternity clothes.

why buy a new wardrobe that you're not even going to wear for more than year?

Harpy
1st July 10, 08:49 PM
Yeah...but imagine wearing the clothes of a person you don't know.

If it was a close friend or family member, maybe. I guess it's my 'thing' about vintage/recycled clothes.

Harpy
1st July 10, 08:50 PM
And shoes...what if they had tinea?

fes_fsa
1st July 10, 09:01 PM
yeah. i have quite a few 2nd hand clothes.

alot of them belonged to my mother. but i've bought a few of them at a thrift store.

totally agree with you about shoes, though. that's just fucking gross.

Harpy
1st July 10, 09:11 PM
The clothes thing, as long as one is not buying second-hand underwear, probably okay.

Coats, sweaters for maternity wear I can see that one might only use them for a few months.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest, it creeps me out too. I tend to believe the energy of the owner comes along with the item (page Kein/Ghostbusters!!!).

Frank White
1st July 10, 09:15 PM
My wife owns a vintage clothing boutique. Nothing to worry about, but if your buying shoes and you are not sure, air them doggies out after a good dose of foot spray. Second hand undies is a no-no, unless that's what you're into.

fes_fsa
1st July 10, 09:15 PM
Sorry, just had to get this off my chest, it creeps me out too. I tend to believe the energy of the owner comes along with the item (page Kein/Ghostbusters!!!).

i feel that way about jewelry. especially since some people put so much personal and emotional value into some pieces. like rings or necklaces. i feel like i'm wearing somebody else's vibes.

Harpy
1st July 10, 09:21 PM
Agree.

There's a shop that sells estate jewellery and some of the pieces are to die for. However, I get different feelings from each piece and don't feel good to bring them home and wear them.

danno
1st July 10, 09:21 PM
i've worn second hand clothes all my life, about 1/4 the clothes i wear even now are second hand.

Harpy
1st July 10, 09:22 PM
Oh @#%, I knew someone would come and make me feel bad.

danno, are they your brother's or father's? Or...ummm, is it an artist thing?

If it's a gi, no problem.

FickleFingerOfFate
1st July 10, 09:31 PM
Because a garment that one only wears when they sweat profusely is going to have absolutely nothing at all disgusting about it.....

danno
1st July 10, 09:41 PM
Oh @#%, I knew someone would come and make me feel bad.

danno, are they your brother's or father's? Or...ummm, is it an artist thing?

If it's a gi, no problem.

they were a combination of hand-me-downs and clothes bought from op shops. we were pretty poor most of the time.

when i went to uni i could still only afford second hand clothes.

now i'll buy new clothes from time to time, but i still wear the old stuff cos i don't see the point in wasting perfectly functional clothing.

my first gi was second hand.

nihilist
1st July 10, 09:44 PM
Lily the best way to get over your fears is to face them.

Here's a list of homework assignments I want you to perform before the week is over:

1. I want you to pick a fight with a total stranger.
Then, after you have choked her out, take her shoes and walk triumphantly around her unconscious body.
2.Remove her underwear and wash them in a nearby bathroom sink, put them on and then grind in her face.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE GRADUATED STEP ONE!

You are now ready to move on to the used feminine hygiene product phase of the lesson!

Spade: The Real Snake
1st July 10, 09:44 PM
You USED to be able to buy women's "Gently Used Worn Panties, Shipped Sealed in a Ziploc Baggie For Freshness" from Ebay before they got all uptight and puritanical and shit.

just sayin'

nihilist
1st July 10, 09:45 PM
3. post pics.

Ajamil
1st July 10, 10:51 PM
"gently used?"

I gots no problem with wearing second-hand clothes, though it's hard for me because there aren't enough people built like me to provide them. Even shoes wouldn't bother me too much. Does anyone here ever rent bowling shoes or roller skates or ski boots - those are worn by hundreds of people. Granted there's a bit more upkeep between wearings.

The shoes thing for me would be more about how they feel. People have different foot shapes, and they leave impressions in the sole. I've had people completely ruin a good pair of shoes by imprinting them with weird feet.

nihilist
1st July 10, 10:55 PM
I don't care for sharing foot-fungus with anyone.
Not even you, Arjie.

Harpy
1st July 10, 11:17 PM
danno - okay, hand-me-downs, I grew up with that too just because kids outgrow their stuff quickly. I'm starting to recall that thread where we spoke a while back about fashion/style/function...makes sense and I guess our different experiences mold that. My parents would get us what was needed, functional. I was a tomboy so didn't give a fig what I wore and as an adult I just want what's needed, rarely do I make an impulse buy and I have nearly no 'one-off' pieces in my wardrobe. My younger sister on the other hand was the spoilt princess and to this day as a 27 year old, is a shoe/clothing hound. I don't get it.

p.s. - when you refer to being 'poor' I actually feel horrible and sad :( It seems too close to home. How do you live in a country like Australia, and you mentioned your father was in the force...and be poor. Didn't you get any allowances from the government.

Moleskin - I need you to make a video instructional demonstrating the steps. Run along now.

fes_fsa
1st July 10, 11:21 PM
okay. this is getting good.

lily... would you be terribly upset if i moved your thread to funkyzeit?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 10, 11:22 PM
Good vintage clothing is where it's at. You can get old Pendleton flannels for $5 if you look hard enough, but to buy an equivalent shirt new you're easily going to pay over $100. Vintage sweaters and jackets rock your face too.

Shoes just need a resoling.

You people are germophobic freaks.

Harpy
1st July 10, 11:24 PM
okay. this is getting good.

lily... would you be terribly upset if i moved your thread to funkyzeit?
Not at all fes.

nihilist
1st July 10, 11:35 PM
Moleskin - I need you to make a video instructional demonstrating the steps.

Surely you aren't that stupid.

Harpy
1st July 10, 11:36 PM
No...but you are.

Frank White
1st July 10, 11:52 PM
Good vintage clothing is where it's at. You can get old Pendleton flannels for $5 if you look hard enough, but to buy an equivalent shirt new you're easily going to pay over $100. Vintage sweaters and jackets rock your face too.

Shoes just need a resoling.

You people are germophobic freaks.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the pendletons. I sport those for sure, some off Ebay, some my wife finds when she's thrifting. She finds good deals on cool clothes and resells them to hipsters at a high mark-up. Here's a pic of her shop...
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5959/gggrb.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/gggrb.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 12:47 AM
I am almost entirely dressed in second-hand clothes. Only my socks, underwear and shoes are retail.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 10, 12:49 AM
I didn't think you wore clothes.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 12:50 AM
Sometimes. We do have winter here, you know.

Harpy
2nd July 10, 12:58 AM
DA - is it some sort of statement to wear second hand clothes for you? Where do you shop?

Does it feel weird? Or good...because you're able to work for yourself and manage things.

In a way...those who recycle clothes are not buying into marketing/advertising, the idea that one must have something or one will die.

Obviously new underwear and socks is a little luxury that one would not willingly choose to forego.

Adouglasmhor
2nd July 10, 01:05 AM
I have no problem with 2nd hand clothes. I recently scored a 1950s London made shawl collar tux that everybody loves, to have one made the same quality would have cost hundreds, it looked like it had been worn less than a dozen times.

Vintage shirts, Vintage coats. Shoes get a cobbler to renew the insole if needed, and let them dry out thoroughly with some Mycil or the like in them. You should be rotating which shoes you wear and using shoe trees if you want to avoid athletes foot and the like anyway and it keeps your shoes in good nick. I sometimes can smell the leather rotting on the feet of guys who wear the same shoes day in day out.

Lily if you go to a hotel or a hospital do you take your own sheets?

Harpy
2nd July 10, 01:11 AM
dougie - you're right, I should think harder about it and stop being so uptight.

Okay, is it a valid concern that wearing some unknown person's clothes could expose a person to a possible virus/bacteria the former owner had? Unknowingly of course...I guess I just wouldn't take the risk. We're already surrounded by them, why increase the potential risk?

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 01:12 AM
DA - is it some sort of statement to wear second hand clothes for you? Where do you shop?

Does it feel weird? Or good...because you're able to work for yourself and manage things.

In a way...those who recycle clothes are not buying into marketing/advertising, the idea that one must have something or one will die.

Obviously new underwear and socks is a little luxury that one would not willingly choose to forego.

It's no 'statement', although it's nice to avoid crappy fashion, and direct support of sweatshop labour.

In op-shops you get awesome clothes really cheaply. There's a greater range than retail shops.

I'm wearing a cotton shirt, over a long-sleeved cotton t-shirt and white t-shirt. I'm also wearing a pair of boot jeans. The entire outfit cost me about $10.

The outfit in this photo is about $16, which includes the peacoat.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/sittingsmaller.jpg

Harpy
2nd July 10, 01:17 AM
Really? That's surprisingly cheap.

Okay, another thing is I hate 'sale time'. I don't like how people get in a frenzy at the retail stores and touch and try everything. I also feel gross shopping during sale season so I don't. I'd rather pay retail than have my space violated.

Oh...which leads me to this DA, are op-shops and markets like this? Have you ever fought with someone for a piece of clothing?

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 01:40 AM
No. At least, not that I've noticed. You get the odd tight-wad trying to bargain at an op-shop, but no fighting over stuff.

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 01:43 AM
my mom does that shit.

something will be marked $5.99 and she'll say "five dollars", raising a brow like she's about to make the deal of a lifetime.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 01:45 AM
No thanks.

nihilist
2nd July 10, 01:49 AM
No...but you are.

Next time you pull out a "NO U" make sure it makes some sort of logical sense.

Ask Cy Q if you are unsure how to do it.

Harpy
2nd July 10, 02:03 AM
lisp lisp blah blah blargggggh
Uh huh.

Sure thing Mole, just like the 3,201 other pieces of advice you've given me, I'll file that in the Out tray.

nihilist
2nd July 10, 02:07 AM
Fat, stupid and unattractive is no way to go through life, dear.

Harpy
2nd July 10, 02:10 AM
fes, DA, danno - I might wander the op-shops of Sydney after my mid-semester exams. Never really been...

There's a site with ratings which is a start.

http://opshop.org/opshoplist/NSW/SYDNEY/

What's been your best second hand find?

nihilist
2nd July 10, 02:20 AM
Is there a big 'retro' resurgence in Australia? It's pretty prevalent here.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 02:23 AM

My peacoat is pretty awesome. A classic style, which fits perfectly, and was very cheap.

My jeans - two pairs in different cuts - are now too big, but they're still great for daily wear.

And I've discovered some very nice Ganton (http://www.ganton.com.au/) and YSL shirts, usually for about $3.

I've also picked up excellent books, fountain pens, shoes.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 02:24 AM
Is there a big 'retro' resurgence in Australia? It's pretty prevalent here.

Yes. It's hiked the prices up.

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 02:47 AM

oh.. i'm pretty sure i've hit the motherload.

i have a vintage multi-colored paisley kaftan and a black cocktail dress, both from Oscar De La Renta 70's and 80's.

i have slate gray mens swim trunks, which i wear as slim fit hip hugger short shorts, from Pierre Cardin, not sure what decade--i've had them since '94 and they still fit.

i have 2 dresses from 90's Betsy Johnson:

a black cocktail bustier dress with black and blood red lace flower print. it's got a full ruffly short skirt, similar to what she's putting out lately, only the tiers don't petal out.

and a black velvet knee length tank dress.

and of course... my pride and joy, something i can't wear unless i've waist trained properly with a corset for at least two weeks: i've got a charcoal gray wool 3 piece skirt suit, from the 50's. designed and tailored by Edith Head. to be fair, i got it at an estate sale in West Hollywood for $500. but it is a used article of clothing, probably worth thousands.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 02:49 AM
i've got a charcoal gray wool 3 piece skirt suit, from the 50's. designed and tailored by Edith Head. to be fair, i got it at an estate sale in West Hollywood for $500. but it is a used article of clothing, probably worth thousands.

Photos, please.

Steve
2nd July 10, 02:49 AM
i don't see the point in wasting perfectly functional clothing.

100% agree.

Lily, you do realize that there is a decent chance that the clothes you bought "new" were tried on or returned a few days after being purchased, right?

Old story, but worth posting again:

How Clean Are Your New Clothes? Find Out

When you buy new clothes, you expect them to be new, not already worn by someone else. But that's not always the case.

Consider what happens after you return a pair of pants or a blouse. Often it goes right back on the rack, to be resold instead of staying in the back room, retail experts told "Good Morning America."

"The customer probably gets the wool pulled over their eyes. … A lot of people just come home and if it has a tag attached, they think it's brand new and they wear it," Tori Patrick, a former retail saleswoman, said. "You really never know where it's been."

To see how clean some "new" clothes were, "GMA" bought everything from blouses to pants to underwear from three popular chain clothing stores ranging from high- to low-end and handed them over to Dr. Philip Tierno, director of microbiology and immunology at New York University, to test the 14 items for germs.

Tierno found disturbing results. There was flora, or bacteria, on several items.

"On this black and tan blouse we found representation of respiratory secretions, skin flora, and some fecal flora," Tierno said.

On a jacket, Tierno discovered evidence of feces, skin flora and respiratory secretions, especially in the armpit and "close to the buttocks," Tierno said.

The biggest surprise came when Tierno tested a silk blouse.

There, he said, he found vaginal organisms, yeast and more fecal germs.

Tierno said a couple of the items had extremely high counts of germs, far above normal.

"Some garments were grossly contaminated with many organisms … indicating that either many people tried it or ... someone tried it on with heavy contamination," he said. "In a sense, you are touching somebody's arm pit or groin. So you want to be protected that's all.

"You may not come down with anything and, most cases you don't, but it's potentially possible," he added.

Wash or Dry New Clothes

The organisms can survive weeks or even months on clothes, Tierno said.

Contracting a yeast infection this way is highly unlikely, though possible, experts say. And with the evidence of feces, viruses could also be passed along.

"A very bad type of diarrhea -- you can also transmit things like the norovirus, stomach virus. You can transmit things like MRSA [a staph bacteria]," Tierno said.

"Most people are unaware and think that they can't really catch anything from these clothes because they are dry, they are on the rack and they are new. They are not realizing that numerous individuals try them on and contact certain parts of their body that may transmit potential pathogens."

In order to protect yourself from harmful bacteria, Tierno recommended washing your new clothes or running them through one cycle in a hot dryer before wearing them. He also suggested wearing clothes underneath while trying on new clothes and washing your hands after shopping.

Link. (http://www.stylelist.com/2010/01/08/new-clothing-could-make-you-sick-gma-research-shocking/)

Yeah, so don't worry about buying second hand, it's all the same.

Harpy
2nd July 10, 02:52 AM
I do wash 'newly-bought' clothes as soon as I get home (even underwear etc.) with a eucalyptus wash.

fes - sound awesome. Do you get much wear out of these pieces? Other than the swim trunks (pix plz).

nihilist
2nd July 10, 02:54 AM
Yes and chances are the tampons have only been tried on by just one other woman so as you can plainly see, I am 100% correct once again.

Steve
2nd July 10, 02:54 AM
I do wash 'newly-bought' clothes as soon as I get home (even underwear etc.) with a eucalyptus wash.

So you are just being elitist then, k.

nihilist
2nd July 10, 02:58 AM
How does anyone really know where that eucalyptus wash has been?

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 03:04 AM
Photos, please.

i need a dress form. if i just lay it out on my bed, it looks like a dark gray suit.

if i put it on right now, i'll rip it--it really is for a tiny waist. on top of that, i wouldn't dare wear it unless i knew i could put it away clean. it's only a collector's item for me--i will never wear it out.

Do you get much wear out of these pieces? Other than the swim trunks (pix plz).

not really. i've worn the Betsey Johnson dresses to a couple parties. i've never worn the ODR kaftan, but i have worn the cocktail dress to dinner once.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 03:11 AM
i need a dress form. if i just lay it out on my bed, it looks like a dark gray suit.

if i put it on right now, i'll rip it--it really is for a tiny waist. on top of that, i wouldn't dare wear it unless i knew i could put it away clean. it's only a collector's item for me--i will never wear it out.

Fair enough. But we need some photos. This could become an awesome second-hand/thrift clothing thread.

This shirt, for example, is second-hand. A few dollars, if I remember.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/blueshirt2.gif

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 03:32 AM
oh definitely. at the estate sale, i was told that it was one of many clothing options that were designed for the Alfred Hitchcock film, Psycho. if you watch the movie, you'll notice that Vera Miles's character is wearing a light colored dress... and then when she steals the money from her job, she's wearing a dark dress. Edith designed and created several dresses, to subtly show the moral change of Lila Crane. in the end, it was way too hot to use the 3 piece suit.

it really should be in a museum. but because it was never actually in any movie, like many of her dresses, it's just a trophy for collectors.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 03:35 AM
At least break out the swim trunks for us.

Steve
2nd July 10, 03:38 AM
You just want to see her boobs...

So, break out the trunks already.

danno
2nd July 10, 03:41 AM
a couple of my favourite shirts are second hand. one is a faded red polo shirt with a white kit-kat logo embroidered on the left breast.

come to think of it, maybe about half the clothes i wear are second hand.

i also have a few shirts/caps/beanies from BJJ comps that they give you for entering or winning.

p.s. - when you refer to being 'poor' I actually feel horrible and sad :( It seems too close to home. How do you live in a country like Australia, and you mentioned your father was in the force...and be poor. Didn't you get any allowances from the government.

when he was actually in the police force, we had enough to live ok. he quit when i was about 6 or 7. after that we owned a pub and it wasn't so bad, but started to get worse. it got pretty bad when dad developed a gambling problem. no amount of welfare fixes that. at one point we lived in a garage on our 145 acre forested property for a couple of years.

i think it all made me much less materialistic. i really don't see the point in buying expensive clothes, and i hate to throw away things that still work or waste stuff. i like to buy second hand for the sake of it.

here's another thing that happened, our house burnt down to the ground, lost everything when i was about 14. all we had were the clothes on our backs. that gives you a new perspective on things.

there's no point in feeling sad for me about that though lily, it's all in the past. everything is pretty awesome at the moment. i wouldn't be who i am now if these things didn't happen anyway.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 03:42 AM
You just want to see her boobs...

This is not correct.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 03:45 AM
a couple of my favourite shirts are second hand. one is a faded red polo shirt with a white kit-kat logo embroidered on the left breast.

Perfect for a BJJ competition. "But it's time for a break!"

come to think of it, maybe about half the clothes i wear are second hand.

I'd say close to 90% for me, excluding underwear and socks.

danno
2nd July 10, 03:54 AM
yeah, underwear and socks are a no-go.

Steve
2nd July 10, 04:01 AM
This is not correct.

It may not be correct but the rest of us want to.

Steve
2nd July 10, 04:03 AM
And for the record, my favorite clothes are second hand. I like to consider them worn and with a story (even if I make it up), maybe I'll do better by them than their previous owners did.

DAYoung
2nd July 10, 04:05 AM
Polo neck jumper, second-hand. Less than $10. This week, for a birthday, I wore it with a hand-me-down Armani suit (light wool, in charcoal grey).

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/poloneckjumper.jpg

littleoldme
2nd July 10, 04:08 AM
I love vintage clothes.

I have a 1950s shape and most modern clothes just don't fit me right, they are too narrow at the hips and bust or too baggy at the waist.

My preferred vintage clothing is 1960s/ 70s polyester jersey dresses, soft, silky, stretch in all the right places and I never ever go to an event and discover that someone else is wearing the same dress as me.

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 04:15 AM
holy shit balls. they even sell them on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUTH-DONNELLY-COSTUME-CROSS-MY-HEART-EDITH-HEAD-/320555563746?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa299bae2

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDING-HIGH-1943-INDIAN-SHOWGIRL-EDITH-HEAD-DESIGN-SEXY-/330408967306?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cede8bc8a

fes_fsa
2nd July 10, 04:17 AM
we're in a recession...

we're in a recession...

we're in a recession...

we're in a recession...

we're in a recession...

we're in a recession...

danno
2nd July 10, 04:23 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/poloneckjumper.jpg

it's always nice to see a house with so many books.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 10, 04:56 AM
to have one made the same quality would have cost hundreds,

You wish.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 10, 05:02 AM
In op-shops you get awesome clothes really cheaply. There's a greater range than retail shops.

You ain't goin to the right retail shops. There a store on La Brea in Hollywood that I have a love-hate relationship with. It has exemplary brands of just about any style of fashion you could imagine, but on the other hand there's no much stylistic direction, what with Raf Simons denim and Levi's Vintage Clothing being sold right next to each other, or Engineered Garments sitting off with Rick Owens and Walter Van-fucking-Beirendonk while Rodeo Ralph Lauren and LVC are tucked away in the next room.

I usually have at least one or two designer pieces on at any given day which drives the value of any outfit way, way up. But it's possible to rock a $10 shirt and $15 jacket on top of $200 pants and $200 shoes, and not look ill-composed. You might think, "No one can tell the difference between my $10 Wrangler button front and your $150 APC oxford" but stack some cheapass shit like that on fine clothes and it just looks like you gave up halfway through getting dressed.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
2nd July 10, 05:04 AM
P.S. make friends with a tailor.

AND if you're really serious about scoring deals vintage shopping, I think it's worth it to make a trip out to your nearest fashion mecca and actually go in to one of these absurdly priced designer stores. How you gonna pick out fine clothing if you've never seen it before?

TheMightyMcClaw
2nd July 10, 08:42 AM
With patience and good eBaymanship, one can get ridiculously good deals; I have several pairs of boots that, while they would've cost well over a hundred new, I paid less than 25 dollars for. If you're really that gemophobic, just wash whatever you buy before wearing it.
Besides, why let good clothing go to waste?

Truculent Sheep
2nd July 10, 10:36 AM
Mrs. Sheep gets lots of clothes off eBay. The point is, if you buy off reputable sellers and wash the clothes before you wear them, there is no problem. In fact, second clothes often arrive cleaner and more hygienic than what you get out of the shops, as touched upon earlier in the thread.

nihilist
2nd July 10, 11:11 AM
Wearing used underwear and socks build character.

I don't really care that much about character building.

Adouglasmhor
2nd July 10, 01:34 PM
How does anyone really know where that eucalyptus wash has been?
Do Koalas not live piss and shit up eucalyptus trees?

nihilist
2nd July 10, 01:36 PM
zackly.

nihilist
2nd July 10, 01:37 PM
They wipe their koala nuts with the leaves.

Adouglasmhor
2nd July 10, 02:06 PM
You wish.

Hand stitched buttons, buttonholes, linen gorge and pocket reinforcing, canvased, hand prick stitched front facings (it's silk satin not crossgrain but I can live with it) There was a Dusk Grey one the same size and tailors (Norton & Sons) in the charity shop I got it from but it was gone when I went back, I thought it had been a Maître D's or some such and did not realise what a rarity they are. I put it on and I think I should be driving a vintage jag or bentley.

Kiko
2nd July 10, 05:49 PM
Sometimes, the more I read these threads...

I'm scared... fes, hold me!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 03:32 AM
Hand stitched buttons, buttonholes, linen gorge and pocket reinforcing, canvased, hand prick stitched front facings (it's silk satin not crossgrain but I can live with it) There was a Dusk Grey one the same size and tailors (Norton & Sons) in the charity shop I got it from but it was gone when I went back, I thought it had been a Maître D's or some such and did not realise what a rarity they are. I put it on and I think I should be driving a vintage jag or bentley.

It would cost more than a few hundred to have another one made.

Adouglasmhor
3rd July 10, 03:37 AM
I reckon I could get one for £700 (obviously not from Nortons they would take over a grand) possibly £200 less in HK. I really regret the grey one though. I hope whoever got it knows what they have.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 04:02 AM
But do you have shoes fly enough to wear with it?

Adouglasmhor
3rd July 10, 07:03 AM
But do you have shoes fly enough to wear with it?

I have a pair of patent Oxfords which are pretty good with it. But I would love proper Albert slippers or opera pumps.

My Oxfords
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1070113/P-CHAT-PAT-300.jpg

Albert Slipper.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7333/churchs65asize10cx5.jpg

Opera Pump
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Footwear/brooks_brothers_pump.gif

The long lost Grey one you are suposed to wear grey suede shoes with.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 08:04 AM
You should pioneer sneakers + tux. I recommend these:
http://fluxuryb.com/uploads/2009/02/rick-owens-trainer-boot1.jpg

Adouglasmhor
3rd July 10, 08:34 AM
Hmmm, I think I can tell when I am being made fun of. So no thanks. Training shoes and a suit was big with hoodlums in Scotland in the 70s and 80s though.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 08:46 AM
You're not being made fun of. I have a personal grudge against that particular pair of sneakers.

Adouglasmhor
3rd July 10, 08:49 AM
They do fit the monotone ethic of black tie though, I will give you that.

Anyway when are you going to give me some advice on a bag?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 08:54 AM
His site layout is garbage but this man is the best deal for anything leather.
http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/. He does custom bags.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 10, 10:14 AM
p.s. they are duotone