PDA

View Full Version : White Elephant Discovered in Asia

OZZ
29th June 10, 12:04 PM
An albino elephant has been captured in Myanmar..a rare find, these animals are considered to be good luck.
Betcha Kein would love to shoot it and have its head on the wall.

Rare white elephant captured in Myanmar jungle

By The Associated Press

YANGON, Myanmar - A rare white elephant has been captured in the jungles of northwestern Myanmar, a mostly Buddhist country where the animals are considered good omens, state media reported Tuesday.

Forestry officials found the animal Saturday, acting on a tip, in the jungles of Maungdaw township in northwestern Rakhine state, the New Light of Myanmar reported, describing the elephant as about 38 years old and 7 feet and 4 inches (2.2 metres) tall.

White elephants, actually albinos, have for centuries been revered in Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and other Asian nations. They were normally kept and pampered by monarchs and considered a symbol of royal power and prosperity.

The elephants are not necessarily white. They can look similar to other elephants except for certain features like fair eyelashes and toenails, light-colored hair or a reddish hue to the skin.

The newspaper did not say where the elephant would be housed. It will be the fourth white elephant held in captivity in Myanmar. The three others are at the Mindhamma Hill park, in suburban Yangon, where they live in an enclosure with spiraled pavilions, a manmade waterfall, ponds, trees and vegetation.

Soraida Salwala, of the Thailand-based Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation, said the group normally objects to placing elephants in captivity but stopped short of criticizing the capture of white elephants. In Thailand, all white elephants are traditionally handed over to the country's revered king.

"The white elephant is a sign of great blessings and fortune for the land," she said, adding that traditional Myanmar and Thai beliefs are similar on the subject.

Previous white elephants transported from the jungles have been heralded in lavish ceremonies where the Myanmar's military leaders sprinkle them with scented water laced with gold, silver and precious gems.

A war was fought in the 16th century between Thailand and Myanmar, then Siam and Burma respectively, over disputed ownership of four white elephants.

Phrost
29th June 10, 01:08 PM
Hi I'm OZZ and I post an article about a rarely-colored thing and don't include a picture of said thing.

Kiko
29th June 10, 01:18 PM
Perhaps because white elephants are um.. brown.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48210000/jpg/_48210672_48210673.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10452174.stm

Kein Haar
29th June 10, 03:02 PM
OZZ is still under the impression that I'm all internally flustered about trophy hunting.

No, u.

Would it make you unclench your jaw to know I don't have a single animal part in my house on display?

Let's try this one more time. Your convoluted philosophy has absoloutely nothing to do with me personally. I'm just the messenger.

Adouglasmhor
29th June 10, 04:00 PM
Would it make you unclench your jaw to know I don't have a single animal part in my house on display?

He keeps them all mounted in his special room.
I don't believe you are going to quote this
you loser

Feryk
29th June 10, 06:23 PM
And they aren't strictly speaking 'animal' parts.

fes_fsa
29th June 10, 06:31 PM
White elephants are only nominally white - they often look reddish-brown in the sun, and light pink when wet.
ha! i knew i wasn't drunk!

Feryk
29th June 10, 06:33 PM
Nope. Stoned. Pink elephants are from mushrooms, silly!

Harpy
29th June 10, 07:32 PM
They are 'albino' relative to the normal colouring of their species. The term 'white' is used incorrectly but then again we call killer sharks, killer whales. I don't think the animals give a shit.

Not too hard to understand is it people?

OZZ
29th June 10, 08:46 PM
OZZ is still under the impression that I'm all internally flustered about trophy hunting.

No, u.

Let's try this one more time. Your convoluted philosophy has absoloutely nothing to do with me personally. I'm just the messenger.

Yet you argued for pages about how trophy hunting was defensible..
I guess that makes you the idiot.

Kein Haar
29th June 10, 10:28 PM
It is, and I substantiated my case with coherent theories.

You just went into an emotional tail spin about rednecks and how you get your "rush" from hitting the gym and gardening. And that you just DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS DISCUSSION AS A CONSEQUENCE.

lol wut.

SoulMechanic
30th June 10, 02:54 AM
The only acceptable form of game hunting for Ozz is chasing after the dope man.

Kein Haar
30th June 10, 03:14 AM
I think you're right. I bet he has a basically addictive personality, which he currently serves by experiencing "the rush" of MMA.

Vieux Normand
30th June 10, 09:18 AM
Perhaps because white elephants are um.. brown.

Brown, but 'should be white'?

California has a solution:

http://www.bleachbum.com

OZZ
30th June 10, 11:42 AM
It is, and I substantiated my case with coherent theories.

You just went into an emotional tail spin about rednecks and how you get your "rush" from hitting the gym and gardening. And that you just DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS DISCUSSION AS A CONSEQUENCE.

lol wut.

You are hilarious..you tried to re invent the argument so many times you could have started three or four different threads.
You fail.

OZZ
30th June 10, 11:49 AM
I think you're right. I bet he has a basically addictive personality, which he currently serves by experiencing "the rush" of MMA.

I bet you are one of those guys who became a law enforcement officer because he wanted people to revere him and couldn't get respect any other way.:biggrin:

But I admit, I get a rush from sparring..who doesn't??
And my current addiction is to oatmeal/peanut butter cookies.Hence the need to keep my gym schedule on track.

Feryk
30th June 10, 12:31 PM
No shit. Being punched in the face is a rush for everyone isn't it?

Hell, I'm 41, and I still love to get beat up. What's that say about me?

Kein Haar
30th June 10, 02:11 PM
I bet you are one of those guys who became a law enforcement officer because he wanted people to revere him and couldn't get respect any other way.:biggrin:

But I admit, I get a rush from sparring..who doesn't??
And my current addiction is to oatmeal/peanut butter cookies.Hence the need to keep my gym schedule on track.

That's a common barbed remark, Ozz. I got the vaccine for that when I got hired, actually.

As far as your rush, It's the epic non-sequiturs in relation to your chosen hobbies.

And you do it so often that YOU JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS DISCUSSION. Oh, and gardening. Which is fine.

I'm just struggling to connect the dots, and so are you...that's why you're all in a tizzy.

BUH..WHUH....I....YEAH, WELL ENGLAND DOESN'T HAVE BEARS ANYMORE SO NYAH! YOU'RE A COP CUZ YOU NEED A GUN FOR RESPECT! UR AN IDIOT. hahahahah! THAT HIKER WAS AN IDIOT TOO!!1 SO ARE THOSE GUYS WHO USE PRACTICAL MODES OF TRANSPORTATION AND WERE LEGAL ORANGE CLOTHES...IDIOTTSSS! YA I WENT HUNINT TO BUT I HATED IT!!!1

GOTCHA SUCKERS!

Not so much, actually.

I'm also starting to question why I'm still involved in this discussion, because you seem to genuinely get mad at the internet, judging by the breakdown of cohesion in your points (but seem otherwise like a good and decent person), and...it's not right to intentionally provoke that, which I'm starting think I'm doing.

Feryk
30th June 10, 02:54 PM
So then, Kein, given your general apathy towards the people you work with: why are you a cop? Is it still the reason you became one in the first place?

OZZ
30th June 10, 03:08 PM
That's a common barbed remark, Ozz. I got the vaccine for that when I got hired, actually.

As far as your rush, It's the epic non-sequiturs in relation to your chosen hobbies.

And you do it so often that YOU JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS DISCUSSION. Oh, and gardening. Which is fine.

I'm just struggling to connect the dots, and so are you...that's why you're all in a tizzy.

BUH..WHUH....I....YEAH, WELL ENGLAND DOESN'T HAVE BEARS ANYMORE SO NYAH! YOU'RE A COP CUZ YOU NEED A GUN FOR RESPECT! UR AN IDIOT. hahahahah! THAT HIKER WAS AN IDIOT TOO!!1 SO ARE THOSE GUYS WHO USE PRACTICAL MODES OF TRANSPORTATION AND WERE LEGAL ORANGE CLOTHES...IDIOTTSSS! YA I WENT HUNINT TO BUT I HATED IT!!!1

GOTCHA SUCKERS!

Not so much, actually.

I'm also starting to question why I'm still involved in this discussion, because you seem to genuinely get mad at the internet, judging by the breakdown of cohesion in your points (but seem otherwise like a good and decent person), and...it's not right to intentionally provoke that, which I'm starting think I'm doing.

Genuinely mad? If I was I wouldn't be laughing..actually, I think you are the one getting mad now.
And that IS funny.
I devoted plenty of time to the 'discussion' ..just not more than some tool like you is worth.Yes, believe it or not Kein Haar..my garden and my fitness level are more important to me than debating with you. I come on here twice a day at most..no matter what threads I happen to be reading or taking an interest in.
As for why you continue with this debate..maybe its because you feel like you LOST and want to claw some sort of victory out by misrepresenting my position with silly language and argumentum ad baculums and argumentum ad hominems..the height of philosophical discourse, to be sure.

Just admit that trophy hunting is stupid already..

Kein Haar
30th June 10, 03:24 PM
We'll leave it at that, then.

Feryk
30th June 10, 03:26 PM
Wait, so you are not going to tell me why you are a cop?

KO'd N DOA
30th June 10, 03:39 PM
...this is a cliffhanger, is it sweeps week on Sociocide?

Ajamil
30th June 10, 05:55 PM
I thought white elephants were prone to be weak and sickly? Thus the term of giving someone a white elephant meaning it was a grandstanding gift that ended up costing more for the recipient than if they never got the stupid thing in the first place.

It would make sense for the tradition of a white elephant being good luck then, as it would be easier to kill and thus bring home meat for the tribe. I could see this later on turning into a tradition of demi-reverence for the creatures.

Anyway, best of luck to the elephant. Elephants are cool, and I'm sorry the one ISKCON had in Mayapur died of a foot infection before I could meet her. She would carry the Deities and do the offering ceremonies. Bad ass.

Vieux Normand
30th June 10, 07:46 PM
Elephants are cool, and I'm sorry the one ISKCON had in Mayapur died of a foot infection before I could meet her.

A hare-krishna pakiderm? Now I've heard it all. Did she beat little plastic things and sing out of tune?

Ajamil
30th June 10, 09:06 PM
She would serve as pujari, although I'm not finding pics of this, grr... (http://mayapur.com/main/?q=node/1007)

OZZ
1st July 10, 12:29 PM
We'll leave it at that, then.

Ok..but I made a mistake.you didn't commit the fallacy of argumentum ad baculum....I got mixed up.
Hey, its been three years since I taugh that course, give me a break.