PDA

View Full Version : Friands

Harpy
24th June 10, 05:52 PM
They've never looked great to me but I had a warm raspberry friand this morning and dammit...NOM NOM NOM.

Downloaded some recipes and going to try it this weekend. A little too sweet and I realise now that its packed with icing sugar so will try to halve the quantity in the recipe and see how that goes.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2008/01/blueberry-friand-recipe.html

http://www.jeffreyburk.com/images/friand-diptych-2.jpg

Ajamil
24th June 10, 06:10 PM
And here I thought you misspelled friends. How is that not a muffin?

Harpy
24th June 10, 06:14 PM
Not a muffin as it only has egg whites (no yolks), icing sugar (instead of caster sugar) and a mix of almond meal (instead of just plain flour).

So very different texturally. Yummy too but that one was way too sweet.

Ajamil
24th June 10, 07:02 PM
Ahh. OK. A specialty muffin. Looks nummy.

Harpy
24th June 10, 07:07 PM
I'm embarrassed that this is on the front page.

Do you bake Arjuna?

syberia
24th June 10, 08:36 PM
They look good. Mini cakes!

I bake. Sometimes. For occasions. Unfortunatly my metabolism wouldn't handle it if I baked as much as I wanted too.

Which is why I dont work in a bakery.

Harpy
24th June 10, 08:54 PM
sybs, you're tiny, you can eat friands.

I see them all the time at the bakery, alongside the Portugese tarts (which look gross). This morning I tried one and was pleasantly surprised.

Mini-cakes ftw.

syberia
24th June 10, 09:02 PM
sybs, you're tiny, you can eat friands.

I see them all the time at the bakery, alongside the Portugese tarts (which look gross). This morning I tried one and was pleasantly surprised.

Mini-cakes ftw.

I've just overhauled my diet and exercise regime, so I dont think I'm allowed to, trying to lose around 7kg's (Europe wasn't good to me)...
So no mini-cakes for Sybs. *sniff*

But now we're talking about it I really want to make a batch of Choc cupcakes or Sand cookies (which dont actually involve sand)...

Harpy
24th June 10, 09:12 PM
Cut the sugar in half, use wholemeal flour and have some cake woman. You can't get svelte unless you're having a sustainable diet (including chocolate and cake).

Whenever I bake my husband eats about a quarter of it, then his kid brother will somehow just know I've baked and dropped by and literally eat half of it (he's a skinny runt), then people drop by and it's all gone. I might only get a small slice. Cake is best when shared.

syberia
24th June 10, 09:16 PM
Cut the sugar in half, use wholemeal flour and have some cake woman. You can't get svelte unless you're having a sustainable diet (including chocolate and cake).

Stop temping me, demon!

Whenever I bake my husband eats about a quarter of it, then his kid brother will somehow just know I've baked and dropped by and literally eat half of it (he's a skinny runt), then people drop by and it's all gone. I might only get a small slice. Cake is best when shared.

People always seem to know when you've just whipped up a cake, and they appear, all inoccent like, and you sort of have to offer.

This is why I live in the middle of nowhere, chances of visitors are much less.

Ajamil
24th June 10, 09:18 PM
I can bake. I do for work, but rarely for myself. I would love to bake with others. Cooking is a rather social thing for me.

Harpy
24th June 10, 09:23 PM
People always seem to know when you've just whipped up a cake, and they appear, all inoccent like, and you sort of have to offer.

This is why I live in the middle of nowhere, chances of visitors are much less.
You are so correct, there must be a cake radar. I'm getting sick of one particular friend of my husband's who turns up every weekend in hopes of cake. I feel so pressured because he's so sweet (he even washes dishes for me) and so well-behaved but it aggravates me trying to match up to his idea of some little home-maker.

It's like the Chicken Little story.

syberia
24th June 10, 09:43 PM
Turn up at his place next weekend and suggest that some cake would go down real well...

Cooking is a rather social thing for me.

Me and the siblings love to get together and make things. Then we ususally argue while one of us does all the work... Ah, family.

Harpy
24th June 10, 09:46 PM
Turn up at his place next weekend and suggest that some cake would go down real well...

Yeah, at like 6am in the morning. Good idea Sybs, this is why I like you :lovey:

Me and the siblings love to get together and make things. Then we ususally argue while one of us does all the work... Ah, family.
God, I haven't done that since I was about 11 years old. We used to have baking weekends with my aunt in NZ or my sisters and I would bake with mum. I used to think baking one of those pre-mixed cakes by myself was awesome.

syberia
24th June 10, 09:56 PM
Yeah, at like 6am in the morning. Good idea Sybs, this is why I like you :lovey:

Thats all? I have many other good qualities!

Like...

Um...

You know... ;)

God, I haven't done that since I was about 11 years old. We used to have baking weekends with my aunt in NZ or my sisters and I would bake with mum. I used to think baking one of those pre-mixed cakes by myself was awesome.

Some of those pre mixed things are the bomb, though. And I still cook like a ten year old.

That is, I make a lot of mess and eat a lot of the batter...

Harpy
24th June 10, 10:03 PM
Some of those pre mixed things are the bomb, though. And I still cook like a ten year old.

That is, I make a lot of mess and eat a lot of the batter...

Kitchen p0rn (in before one of the neanderthals says it) and "you can lick my batter baby" (in before STEEV).

Oh definitely, those pre-mixes have saved my butt a few times. Take that how you will.

Adouglasmhor
24th June 10, 11:56 PM
Portuguese tarts are a custard tart with cinnamon, they are pretty nice.

Kiko
25th June 10, 01:31 PM
Hmmmmm..
Cake.... (search youtube for Jim Gaffigan's thoughts on cake...)
o-u4IwXkbE

Conde Koma
25th June 10, 05:55 PM
malformed ID....

Anyhow, I like looking at this site for tarty goodness:
http://epicute.com/

Spade: The Real Snake
25th June 10, 06:50 PM
Where is Serge and his muffin threads?

Harpy
25th June 10, 07:49 PM
He is staying out of BS until they act like real men. Sambo is not effeminate. Sambo means no drama. Sambo is not a liar.

And finally, Sambo is all about the muffins.

Harpy
28th June 10, 06:15 AM
I made a Friand Cake today:

120g butter, melted and cooled
180g icing sugar
75g self-raising flour
60g almond meal
60g hazelnut meal
4 egg whites lightly beaten
120g dried or fresh raspberries to sprinkle on top before baking

(I cut down the egg whites from 6 to 4, cut sugar down by 60g, cut butter by 30g, substituted hazelnut meal in equal proportion to almond meal instead of all almond. Obviously to lazy to bake in friand or muffin tin)

9/10 rating by my husband.

1. Pre-heat fan forced oven to 160 Celsius
2. Mix all ingredients in order of listing above
3. Pour batter in lined tin, sprinkle with raspberries
4. Bake for 28 minutes