PDA

View Full Version : Homos Get Stanley Cup For Their Parade

OZZ
24th June 10, 04:25 PM
I just had to lol when I read this..
I am not even going to say anything at all, I will just laugh and people can form their own opinions.
I don't really have a problem with it..but it just seems, well..odd.

Text Size
CHICAGO - The Stanley Cup, which has been on more adventures than perhaps any other piece of championship hardware, will make its first appearance in a gay-themed event this weekend.

The Chicago Gay Hockey Association invited the Blackhawks to join Sunday's Gay Pride Parade after the team won its first Stanley Cup title since 1961 -- and the team said yes. So did the Chicago Cubs, who will have their own float in the parade for the first time.

According to the Hockey Hall of Fame's Phil Pritchard, it will mark the first time the NHL's championship trophy has been on display at a gay-themed event.

"We are thrilled that it worked out as it's important for the city and important for the franchise," Blackhawks spokesman Adam Rogowin said.

Defenceman Brent Sopel and his wife, Kelly, will accompany the Cup on a float in the parade. Sopel, who was traded this week to Atlanta, is a 33-year-old father of three who said he volunteered to honour the late son of Toronto general manager Brian Burke, his former boss in Vancouver.

Brendan Burke, 21, was killed in an auto accident in February, just three months after publicly disclosing his homosexuality.

"Anybody who has had to bury a child has suffered a heartbreak and this was the first thing that came to mind," Sopel said. "Everything that happened last year with Brendan coming out last year and dying three months later, it was a tragedy."

Sopel said he's not really trying to make a statement.

"But everybody is a person and we all have feelings," he said.

As for the Cubs, Hall of Famer Ernie Banks will ride in a vehicle decorated with a brick-and-ivy motif reminiscent of Wrigley Field's outfield wall. The ballpark is only a few blocks from the parade route, and the Cubs have supported various gay community causes over the past several years.

"We know we have many fans in the community," said Mike Lufrano, the team's vice-president of community affairs.

Kein Haar
24th June 10, 04:42 PM
I don't mind. I recognize that I'm not a true fan.

I only go when my wife takes clients to the skybox, so I don't have to sit with the plebians.

Skybox...you know...where rednecks go have lulz with their buddies instead of TRULY ENJOYING THE GAME.

I'm surprised at your lulz over homos, though.

You and Matt Mitrione should be the poster children for the progressive concept of emo faggots in violent sports.

You've come a long way, baby. :gaysmiley:

Spade: The Real Snake
24th June 10, 04:47 PM
Will you be riding on the float Haar?

Kein Haar
24th June 10, 04:47 PM
So? Shut up.

Cullion
24th June 10, 04:58 PM
I've never heard it called 'riding the float' before.

Saucy.

Spade: The Real Snake
24th June 10, 05:03 PM
GET THEE TO THE URBAN DICTIONARY!

STAT!

EvilSteve
24th June 10, 05:56 PM
Perhaps it's a necessary part of a disenfranchised group gaining acceptance in society to prominently declare that one is a part of the stigmatized group ("Hey, I'm gay and I can pull a hat trick"), but don't things like "Gay Hockey Assoc" or "Gay Firefighters Assoc" or "Gay Sausage Vendors Assoc" ghettoize gay people by making it more about the gay than about the activity itself?

Kein Haar
24th June 10, 06:01 PM
Yes.

Zendetta
24th June 10, 06:32 PM
I remember some dudes recently got cut from some Gay Team (baseball maybe? makes sense, they got the mustaches) because the didn't have teh r34l g4y.

bob
25th June 10, 05:27 AM
Is there some kind of locker room rite that you have to go through to prove that?

OZZ
25th June 10, 02:42 PM
There have been very few openly gay hockey players...the only one I can think of is Stephane Richer.I don't think he was all demonstrative..but I think it was well-known he was gay.
I can't think of anybody else. Generally, if you are gay and involved in hockey - you don't talk about it.

Zendetta
25th June 10, 03:03 PM
Is there some kind of locker room rite that you have to go through to prove that?

Oh, you'd like to know, wouldn't you!

I'm guessing that if you don't pop some wood in the showers you're off the team.

Ajamil
25th June 10, 05:09 PM
Hockey is one of the least gay sports. All that padding and punching. Baseball? Tight pants and ass slapping. Football? Moar tight pants and ass on hands and trying to grab men's legs and get them on the ground. Basketball? TINY pants and sweaty men rubbing against each other.

Soccer is next. Tight pants again, but now there's kicking and headbutting and everyone's focused on NOT touching balls with their hands.