PDA

View Full Version : Humanity extinct in 100 years!!!

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
23rd June 10, 04:59 AM
LONDON: An Australian scientist, who helped eradicate smallpox from the world, has created a new sensation by predicting that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.

Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and "unbridled consumption".

"Homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years," Fenner said. "A lot of other animals will, too."

GAME OVER (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Home/Science/Humans-will-be-extinct-within-100-years-says-Australian-scientist/articleshow/6070347.cms)

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!! !!!!!!!

Cullion
23rd June 10, 05:37 AM
He's just pulling shit out of the air.

23rd June 10, 06:21 AM
Yes he's a little alarmist.

What do make of Prof Nicholas Boyle of Cambridge University who rekons that 2014 is going to be the crunch point?

How to survive the next global crisis - Prof N Boyle (http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2010061701)

Cullion
23rd June 10, 06:25 AM
I read about him in the press, I think it was last week. Whilst I've got a generally pessimistic view of foreign and economic policy in the US and Europe, what he's doing sounds like hokey numerology to me.

bob
23rd June 10, 06:44 AM
Dude's 95. He's just fucking with people from his deathbed for lulz.

Kein Haar
23rd June 10, 06:46 AM
Does that mean I should live for today?

bob
23rd June 10, 06:48 AM
If it were anybody else asking I'd say yes. But I think your best days are behind you.

Kein Haar
23rd June 10, 06:49 AM
Oh, I disagree.

Die Wurst is yet to come.

And I love sausages.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 06:55 AM
Does that mean I should live for today?

Not before you take your gunbelt off.

Hedley LaMarr
23rd June 10, 09:25 AM
This is obviously sensationalist garbage. The professor is a microbiologist and should not be regarded as an expert on climate change or anthropology. To me this sounds like the reporters who wrote this up are exploiting a 96 year old man.

A side question, what field(s) of science generally study climate change?

Arhetton
23rd June 10, 10:21 AM
but the machines need us

EvilSteve
23rd June 10, 10:23 AM
Well, I guess this explains the old question "if time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?"

WarPhalange
23rd June 10, 11:57 AM
Well, I guess this explains the old question "if time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?"

http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100613.gif

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1907#comic

resolve
23rd June 10, 02:00 PM
Black rider's turn now?

http://munchies.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/four-horsemen-mikh-l.jpg

danno
23rd June 10, 04:01 PM
i reckon nothing short of a massive bolide impact is going to cause human extinction.

i fail to see how even worst case scenario warming would cause us to disappear from the planet. i think that anyone who makes such a claim discredits themselves on the subject.

he says "We'll undergo the same fate as the people on Easter Island... The human species is likely to go the same way as many of the species that we've seen disappear."

for the record, the inhabitants of easter island didn't disappear. they were surviving just fine, though the island couldn't support a large population, especially after deforestation. despite the ecological disaster, population decline and warfare, they weren't going to die out.

european slave traders and the smallpox they brought with them killed many of those who were left.

and yet, most of the people who still live there today are natives. they're still kickin'.

A side question, what field(s) of science generally study climate change?

you're probably after "climatology", which in itself covers quite a few fields. and there are many other fields which intersect.

EvilSteve
23rd June 10, 04:10 PM
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100613.gif

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1907#comic

Or: Q.E.D. In the future everyone will realize how awesome molesting bunnies is.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 04:19 PM
Do you think any Greco-Roman thinkers wrote about the extinction of humanity through resource depletion? I bet some did.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 04:33 PM
Plato and Aristotle did, according to my encyclopedia.

Kein Haar
23rd June 10, 04:50 PM
MJS,

They also had bath-houses.

Bath houses?

Cullion
23rd June 10, 04:51 PM
Those bath houses prevented at least 300 unwanted pregnancies.

Kein Haar
23rd June 10, 04:53 PM
That's getting close to blasphemy. You better clarify what the hell you mean.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 04:53 PM
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12276a.htm

Viz: 'unnatural love'.

Kein Haar
23rd June 10, 04:56 PM
Mmmmm....all right.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 05:06 PM
MJS,

They also had bath-houses.

Bath houses?

So does Japan, and they're leading the world in robotics and fashion so w/e.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 05:07 PM
Plato and Aristotle did, according to my encyclopedia.

Were they discussing imminent extinction or where they simply acknowledging the possibility of mankind eventually raping mother Gaea?

Cullion
23rd June 10, 05:14 PM
I dunno, I haven't read the pieces cited in the Catholic encyclopedia just linked.

But it says that they, amongst other ancients were concerned about over-population, discussed it, and abortion and homosexuality were sometimes encouraged in some greek city-states as a population control measure.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 05:21 PM
It's a hint, Cullion. Don't fight it anymore, you know you want to put your hands all over me.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 05:23 PM
Boobs or not, you're still a dude.

How's that search for an art or music school in Europe going? You can still stay at our place for a while if you're looking at ones in the UK.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 05:27 PM
Swimmingly. Let's try to keep MJS the man, myth and legend separate from MJS the Sociocide Persona.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 05:39 PM
'kay

Harpy
23rd June 10, 05:54 PM
Boobs or not, you're still a dude.

How's that search for an art or music school in Europe going? You can still stay at our place for a while if you're looking at ones in the UK.
Are you sure you want your male child exposed to alternate lifestyles this early on?

Cullion
23rd June 10, 06:03 PM
I never realised you were a hater.

Hedley LaMarr
23rd June 10, 06:10 PM
you're probably after "climatology", which in itself covers quite a few fields. and there are many other fields which intersect.
That's it? I was hoping for something that sounded sexier....

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 06:38 PM
Are you sure you want your male child exposed to alternate lifestyles this early on?

Who said he has to know?

Ajamil
23rd June 10, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure she meant the fashion.

How did this guy conclude that other species can survive population explosions and massive die-offs, but humans can't?

Hedley LaMarr
23rd June 10, 07:24 PM

How did this guy conclude that other species can survive population explosions and massive die-offs, but humans can't?
Because he does science so he obviously knows everything.

Duh.

danno
23rd June 10, 10:07 PM
That's it? I was hoping for something that sounded sexier....

i'm sorry to disappoint you.

some of the fields within it have names like "paleoclimatology", "dendroclimatology" and "paleotempestology", those words might suit your taste a little better.

danno
23rd June 10, 10:12 PM

cos he pulled his theory out of his arse. i wouldn't try to analyse it much further.

in reality, there are other species which will be able to survive in conditions that humans can't.

but i reckon his statements amount to "i dunno man, but i just got a feeling..."

i'll be happy to hear him explain things further, but on the surface, what he's saying appears to be pretty baseless.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 10, 11:01 PM

What you got against my duds nigga?

HappyOldGuy
24th June 10, 12:29 AM
Swimmingly. Let's try to keep MJS the man, myth and legend separate from MJS the Sociocide Persona.

Which one has boobs?

Anyhow, the ancients tended to place mankinds golden age in the past rather than the future. That differentiated them from the moderns, but kinda sorta links em with the posties. But not really.

WarPhalange
24th June 10, 01:18 AM
I hate these kinds of predictions. If you are wrong, nobody gives a shit cuz you're dead (wtf 100 years?). If you're right, you get to die a smug death.

I want to hurt that man for being a coward intellectually.

danno
24th June 10, 02:55 AM
there was no reason to report this guy's views to the public. it just creates more confusion.

i recently saw a headline saying "Could unbridled climate changes lead to human extinction?" the article went on to say we may be extinct in 100 years, and quoted an ocean scientist.

looking closer, i saw that the scientist and his team were making no such claims. his research suggest nothing of the sort. the journalist had made up a heap of bullshit to get a snappy headline. i looked for a news article based on the SAME research from a more reputable source, and the research had been interpreted in a completely different way, this time the title reading "Ocean ecosystems in decline: study".

either would give your average reader very, very different impressions, despite being based on exactly the same science article.

journalists are arseholes.

Ajamil
24th June 10, 04:06 AM
I didn't mean humans would die and the animals wouldn't from the same event. I meant species like the mice in Aus (where in Aus is there's a huge population explosion every couple a years? Saw it on a nature show.) can weather a huge growth which results in devastation of resources and a die-off, but don't go extinct. Why would humans be any different?

What you got against my duds nigga?Me, as soon as I save enough for a trip.

danno
24th June 10, 05:12 AM
I didn't mean humans would die and the animals wouldn't from the same event. I meant species like the mice in Aus (where in Aus is there's a huge population explosion every couple a years? Saw it on a nature show.) can weather a huge growth which results in devastation of resources and a die-off, but don't go extinct. Why would humans be any different?

well, that's kinda what happened on easter island.

about the mouse thing, it happens less often than every couple of years, but i remember one from when i was about 12 years old. pretty crazy shit, you could put a mouse trap down in the house anywhere and hear the *snap* about one minute later, i shit you not. we were repeatedly putting down 5 at a time and resetting them as often as we could be bothered.

24th June 10, 05:15 AM
he says "We'll undergo the same fate as the people on Easter Island... The human species is likely to go the same way as many of the species that we've seen disappear."

for the record, the inhabitants of easter island didn't disappear. they were surviving just fine, though the island couldn't support a large population, especially after deforestation. despite the ecological disaster, population decline and warfare, they weren't going to die out.

european slave traders and the smallpox they brought with them killed many of those who were left.

and yet, most of the people who still live there today are natives. they're still kickin'.

I thought it might of been a reference to the Hanau epe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanau_epe) who legend has it were wiped out by the Rapanui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapanui)

danno
24th June 10, 05:36 AM
I thought it might of been a reference to the Hanau epe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanau_epe) who legend has it were wiped out by the Rapanui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapanui)

well, that's more about warfare amongst humans than any environmental problems. that analogy wouldn't make much sense, unless i'm reading you wrong?

24th June 10, 07:58 AM
Its thought that the massacre of the Hanau epe was more to do with resources, or rather the lack of resources. Something which has been a re-occuring theme on Easter Island.

But as you pointed out, they are still there and still interbreeding!

danno
24th June 10, 08:20 AM
yeah, there was warfare due to limited resources. that's a pretty natural thing though, in fact it should be expected.

for example, in populations of certain monkeys, they end up dying from warfare more than disease or predators. the biggest threat comes from their own species. this happens only because there are limited resources.

the point is, humans didn't die out on easter island. they never have, there has been a consistent lineage ever since they first arrived, despite some great difficulties. that makes them a bad example in the context of what this old man is saying.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th June 10, 08:58 AM
Which one has boobs?

Both, but my internet persona has a third.