PDA

View Full Version : Australia, China get down to bidnez

danno
21st June 10, 10:04 PM
i thought some of you might be interested in how australia and china are getting along.

as far as i understand things, it's mostly about china needing resources that australia has in spades. the chinese are investing a lot of money here, which is strengthening our relationship and affects other things like regional security.

our prime minister also speaks fluent madarin, and his chinese alias is "Lù Kèwén".

CHINA'S heir apparent and Kevin Rudd have agreed to set up a forum "to inject new vitality" into the relationship between the countries.

Vice President Xi Jinping said the countries had to “seize the opportunities to build on the momentum in the relationship across the board.”

The forum, to be a first for China, will include people representing all sectors – business, education, culture and other groups as well politicians and officials.

Mr Xi and Mr Rudd earlier witnessed the signing of agreements covering ten projects that may be worth more than $10 billion, chiefly related to infrastructure development for resources in Queensland and Western Australia.

They both spoke to an economic forum of 500 Chinese and Australian businesspeople in parliament’s Great Hall, the biggest such gathering yet.

The positive tone of the speech by Mr Xi – who talked about his “great pleasure to come to beautiful Australia” which he has now visited four times – confirmed that the dark days in the relationship last year that were triggered by the Stern Hu case, the failed Chinalco move on Rio Tinto and the Rebiya Kadeer visit, are now consigned to the past.

The mining projects will create $10 billion coal development near Bowen in Queensland and with also see Chinese engineers will work on the expansion of Fortescue's iron ore projects in the Pilbara worth $5 billion a year in exports.

Mr Rudd’s spokesman said the Prime Minister and Mr Xi met over dinner last night at The Lodge with senior cabinet ministers and again this morning with ministers in the Cabinet Room.

“The two leaders discussed Australia-China bilateral relations, which they agreed should be developed from what is already a high level,” the spokesman said. “They agreed that China’s and Australia’s joint interests would grow.”

Subjects to be discussed further included strategic and military issues, trade, the economy and human rights.

“They discussed the historical development of the relationship, including the role of the Whitlam Government in first recognising China,” the spokesman said.

The leaders also discussed the bilateral economic partnership and agreed on the importance of concluding the Free Trade Agreement soon.

“They discussed the strength of the bilateral resources and energy trade and Australia’s important role as a reliable long-term supplier of resources,” the spokesman said.

“They noted the large number of agreements in this field being signed during the visit. They discussed further engagement on resource-related issues including carbon capture and storage and climate change.”

The leaders described the relationship between China and Australia as “dynamic” and agreed to talks soon on ways to increase tourism in both directions.

“They discussed the increase in investment by China in Australia, and looked forward to closer partnership in shared interests such as the development of the Square Kilometre Array telescope.”

The leaders discussed regional security and agreed to continue to work closely together for peace and security in the Asia Pacific region.

The spokesman said the leaders discussed Mr Rudd’s plan for a new regional body and tensions between North and South Korea. “Together with a range of Cabinet ministers, they discussed other bilateral issues including human rights,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/politics/rudd-forges-closer-ties-with-chinas-vice-president-xi-jinping/story-e6frgczf-1225882422556

if anyone has further insights into this stuff i'd like to hear it.

Dark Helmet
21st June 10, 10:56 PM
I would be suspicious if I were you.

HkP_eYtrF6I

WarPhalange
21st June 10, 11:44 PM
i thought some of you might be interested in how australia and china are getting along.
Typical Australian pompousness, thinking anybody cares about your stupid penal colony.

lol penile

danno
22nd June 10, 12:04 AM
chinese-american relations seem a little tense at times. stable, but kind of... i don't know, suspicious. the communism and emerging superpower thing, i suppose.

we seem to have a much more comfortable relationship with china.

HappyOldGuy
22nd June 10, 12:11 AM
we seem to have a much more comfortable relationship with china.

That's cause they are trying to steal you from us.

That's how pimps play it.

Cullion
22nd June 10, 06:22 PM
I don't like the look of this. People running their economies on producing real stuff by digging it out of the ground or farming it, and then selling it to people who pay well for it and make other stuff out of it? That's not how it's supposed to work.

Why don't you just borrow money from China, pay the bankers who shuffle the loans around millions of dollars a year, and then turn the rest of the country over to a mix of public-sector makework or providing retail services to those bankers? It's called 'trickle down'.

It worked for us in the U..

Oh.

danno
22nd June 10, 11:44 PM
do you even have anything left to dig up?

we're lucky to have a massive amount of land and resources with no one living on it.

Japuma
22nd June 10, 11:52 PM

we're lucky to have a massive amount of land and resources withno one living on it.

Do you realize what you've done?!?!? You've just summoned Toby, Lord Master of the Aboriginal Fapping Guild!

danno
22nd June 10, 11:56 PM
sheeeiit

well, there are still large areas where even abbos don't live. the only other problem in that case is environmental i suppose.

Cullion
23rd June 10, 03:20 AM

we're lucky to have a massive amount of land and resources with no one living on it.

There's still a little bit of mining going on, and pretty much everything that doesn't have concrete on it is used as farmland. We should have a lot more manufacturing capability than we do though.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
23rd June 10, 03:55 AM
Manufacturing what?

Cullion
23rd June 10, 04:04 AM
The things we could've manufactured had our monetary and tax policy not favoured financial services at the expense of other sectors of the economy. I'm not proposing that the government start picking what to build.

Yiktin Voxbane
23rd June 10, 09:00 AM
I wonder if our potential new PM will have the same relationship wit the Asian(s) .

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
23rd June 10, 09:21 AM
The things we could've manufactured had our monetary and tax policy not favoured financial services at the expense of other sectors of the economy.

Such as?

Cullion
23rd June 10, 09:34 AM
All kinds of things, from cars to vacuum cleaners.