PDA

View Full Version : Euros. Answer me now.

Spade: The Real Snake
16th June 10, 02:15 PM
How do your allegiances lie in matches that don't involve your country's team?

Do you root for or against other countries by nature?

Do you root for a team that has a player that plays in your country's pro league?

What is your mindset if your country is matching against another country that features a player that you like who plays in your Premier or Serie A league?

EuropIan
16th June 10, 02:58 PM
I don't root for any team that comes from South of the Alpes

Cullion
16th June 10, 02:58 PM
I don't get into soccer and am hypothetically willing to bet against my own country's team purely for personal gain (I didn't this time, even though I was tempted).

I do take Rugby a bit more seriously though. My loyalties go in this order:-

England
Ireland (My mother's Irish)
Scotland and Wales
New Zealand and Australia
South Africa
The rest of the Commonwealth.
Everywhere else.

Odacon
16th June 10, 04:16 PM
We're allowed support England now that our irrational hatred is directed towards the French.

Cullion
16th June 10, 04:17 PM
Why have you started hating the French ?

bob
16th June 10, 04:49 PM
The Germans told them to.

16th June 10, 04:52 PM
Why have you started hating the French ?
TRLWMeDCx_U
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01526/thierry-henry-hand_1526268c.jpg

Adouglasmhor
16th June 10, 04:58 PM
I don't get into soccer and am hypothetically willing to bet against my own country's team purely for personal gain (I didn't this time, even though I was tempted).

I do take Rugby a bit more seriously though. My loyalties go in this order:-

England
Ireland (My mother's Irish)
Scotland and Wales
New Zealand and Australia
South Africa
The rest of the Commonwealth.
Everywhere else.

Scotland
(The British and Irish Lions)
Ireland
(The Barbarians)
(Combined Services)
Wales
France
England
Japan
Everyone else

I put in the Lions, the forces and the Baa baas as they do sometimes play against national sides.

I wish the Association Football World Cup was over so I won't have to hear those plastic fucking horns ever again.

What's the difference between an onion and a vuvuzela.

No one will cry when you cut up a vuvuzela.

16th June 10, 05:03 PM
dougie, why Japan?

Cullion
16th June 10, 05:04 PM
France before England ?

I'm not sure if I'm going to feel alright about recommending good restaurants to you in future. That's pretty dark.

16th June 10, 05:06 PM
Cullion, all that means is if France is playing England, he will root against you, but if England is playing Japan, he's got your back

Harpy
16th June 10, 05:42 PM
dougie! The fact that Australia is not above England on that list pains me, it is only made up by the fact you have the Frenchies above the Poms.

French rugby team are players, we ended up in a bar with the team during World Cup 2003. Mostly they were trying to get all the wimminz to go back to their hotels with them.

Adouglasmhor
16th June 10, 05:44 PM
dougie, why Japan?

Underdog thing - plus is really funny watching them bouncing of islanders and europeans.

16th June 10, 05:51 PM
Underdog thing - plus is really funny watching them bouncing of islanders and europeans. so does that mean you rooted for the US against Brazil in the '94 cup (round of 16)

Adouglasmhor
16th June 10, 05:54 PM
France before England ?

I'm not sure if I'm going to feel alright about recommending good restaurants to you in future. That's pretty dark.

I am Scottish I put England the best place I could.

Cullion
16th June 10, 05:57 PM
Cullion, all that means is if France is playing England, he will root against you, but if England is playing Japan, he's got your back

The cultural connotations of a neighbour with a land-border with whom we share a Queen, a military and a parliament, putting a country across the sea with whom we share none of those things, ahead of us, are profound.

Let's say, I dunno, that people from Texas and California liked to rib each other about their cultural differences.

Now imagine those Californians rooting for Russia against Texas in an international American Football match. And putting Texas down the list after Canada and Mexico in the list of teams they would support internationally.

That's what Dougie just did.

For shame.

Adouglasmhor
16th June 10, 06:03 PM
The cultural connotations of a neighbour with a land-border with whom we share a queen, a military and a parliament, putting a country across the sea with whom we share none of those things are profound.

Let's say, I dunno, that people from Texas and California liked to rib each other about their cultural differences.

Now imagine that Californians rooting for Russia against Texas. And putting Texas down the list after Canada and Mexico.

For shame.

~Many Scots would not even put you on the list.

16th June 10, 06:07 PM
The cultural connotations of a neighbour with a land-border with whom we share a Queen, a military and a parliament, putting a country across the sea with whom we share none of those things, ahead of us, are profound.

Now imagine those Californians rooting for Russia against Texas in an international American Football match. And putting Texas down the list after Canada and Mexico in the list of teams they would support internationally.

For shame.

You should probably pick more sympathetic states then Texas and California

Cullion
16th June 10, 06:47 PM
~Many Scots would not even put you on the list.

And they should be ashamed of that.

bob
16th June 10, 07:50 PM
I will tend to barrack against whoever is sitting next to me, just to make it interesting. I've been known to do this against my own state or country if the wind-up factor is particularly tempting.

Aside from that I don't really care, though I do enjoy watching South Africans lose at rugby.

Yes, I know you didn't ask me.

16th June 10, 09:50 PM
I will tend to barrack against whoever is sitting next to me, just to make it interesting. I've been known to do this against my own state or country if the wind-up factor is particularly tempting.

Aside from that I don't really care, though I do enjoy watching South Africans lose at rugby.

Australians are like honorary Euro to us

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th June 10, 11:21 PM
an aside: who the fuck came up with this mascot
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/m22309_mascota_zakumi.jpg
I don't know if I should pick him for my futboll team or pay him fifty bucks for a blowjob.

Ajamil
17th June 10, 12:48 AM
Cats don't really suck all that well.

Would you say it's like how California seems to actively try to help out and give money to Mexico, while Texas is about two steps away from it's state govt. joining in with the secessionist groups?

bob
17th June 10, 12:54 AM
Australians are like honorary Euro to us

;(

EuropIan
17th June 10, 01:09 AM

You guys cheat at cricket

bob
17th June 10, 01:13 AM
You guys cheat at cricket

Can you think of any other way to make cricket interesting?

Adouglasmhor
17th June 10, 01:21 AM
And they should be ashamed of that.

I don't think they should, I put up with years of casual discrimination from some English people when I was in the forces and for many Scots that is what they associate England. With Every time a mouth breather complained about Brown being Scottish or talks about the Prime Minister of England or the Queen of England we are reminded that a lot of English people don't want us to be equals in the union or don't understand the union.

This especially tends to manifest itself in sports where a Scots athlete or team will be British until they lose, then they default to Scottish.

I bet this attitude will be mirrored in Ireland* and Wales.

*It's an all Ireland not jut ROI. (not at Cullion).

Plus the French players are much prettier than yours.

Cullion
17th June 10, 05:37 AM
Have you ever been beaten up for being Scottish ?

Madgrenade
17th June 10, 11:13 AM
I don't think they should, I put up with years of casual discrimination from some English people when I was in the forces and for many Scots that is what they associate England. With Every time a mouth breather complained about Brown being Scottish or talks about the Prime Minister of England or the Queen of England we are reminded that a lot of English people don't want us to be equals in the union or don't understand the union.

This especially tends to manifest itself in sports where a Scots athlete or team will be British until they lose, then they default to Scottish.

I bet this attitude will be mirrored in Ireland* and Wales.

*It's an all Ireland not jut ROI. (not at Cullion).

Plus the French players are much prettier than yours.

Thats all bullshit. The Scots are still pissed off about the clearances.

I went to Glasgow to look at a drama school, and some fat ginger bitch goes... "Och, di ye nae have drama schools in England." as if I had violated some unspoken agreement that the English should stay south of the border. At at night only the students would be welcoming, with faces all across the spectrum hardening when their ears were exposed to our dulcet Surrey tones.

I found Glascow to be the most unwelcoming city it has been my misfortune to visit. The bowl it sits in would be quite picturesque were it no for the grey scab nestled at the bottom. Wheras in Surrey people are nice to pretty much everyone and even if they aren't, they would never have the sheer bad manners to fail to conceal the fact.

Get over it Scotland. Braveheart was fifteen years ago. Fnuking racists.

As for football involving third party countries, I always prefer to see the team that showed the most skill during the match win. Because they deserve to. That's just the way we are round here.

17th June 10, 11:26 AM
As for football involving third party countries, I always prefer to see the team that showed the most skill during the match win. Because they deserve to. That's just the way we are round here.
Let's use Argentina -vs- South Korea today.

It was a foregone conclusion that Argentina would likely win although South Korea kept it fairly tight until the sub towards the end of the match brought on some fresh legs.

Argentina is more talented but Maradona is a fat cunt and South Korea showed spunk....so who do you root for, Falkland Islands notwithstanding.

Madgrenade
17th June 10, 11:35 AM
Can't really comment having not watched the game. Only if im watching can I identify a playstyle that I like. If I don't watch then I don't care. It's like, what did the guy twenty doors down from me who I don't know have for breakfast this morning. Who really gives a shit? Wake me up when its the finals. That's when they start really playing.

17th June 10, 11:42 AM
Can't really comment having not watched the game. Only if im watching can I identify a playstyle that I like. If I don't watch then I don't care. It's like, what did the guy twenty doors down from me who I don't know have for breakfast this morning. Who really gives a shit? Wake me up when its the finals. That's when they start really playing.

What is a playstyle you appreciate?

How much of this is determined by your own skill or weakness on the pitch?

How much does national pride affect who you root for or against (Falklands Island joke)

Madgrenade
17th June 10, 12:35 PM
I like to see a team move the ball around alot making good use of their entire team. I love to see a goal that came out of some heavy midfield action and left the other team breathless and confused, then a sly pass to the unmarked man, easy shot. To me that kind of play demonstrates that the team has trained well together and that they deserve the win. Generally the best team usually wins but its especially nice when you can tell they worked really hard for it and applied their preparation.

Not really being a football "fan" I can say that I don't really care who wins or loses. The fanatacism that surrounds football in this country has always been a curiousity to me. I tend to regard football as the major religion in England. It's holy days are on a Saturday and Sunday. The ref is like the Pope for ninety minutes. The managers and coaches are the bishops and priests and the players are their acolytes running around to please the great god, whoever it maybe. Being an outsider I am not sure what exactly the tenets of this faith are, but they seem to teach a kind of basic survivalist pack mentality. Anyone who dies in a fight on a Derby goes onto surely goes on to spectate in some collosal stadial Valhalla where the referee never makes a wrong decision, the pies are always hot and the players never tire or get injured.

To me it's a bunch of blokes running round chasing a ball. The result, while interesting, doesn't really affect me. While it would probably please me to see my national side win a mayor tournament, it's amusing watching grown men cry when we lose. To me eleven guys winning or losing doesn't really tell me how great my country is. Or why football would have a greater status than other team games already mentioned, or athletics, which to me is a greater display which country has got the best humans for doing certain thing.

Now thats twice you mentioned the Falklands so I will say this. When the Argies took the Falklands they what they didn't know is that the locals already built a football pitch on the island, and we British would never let a holy site of our greatest religion be desecrated by the stomping of Argie boots for long. So withing a few weeks we travelled half the world, had blown up half their airforce and sent our mighty warriors (many of whom were Scots.) to kick their arses not just off the pitch, but right out of the fnuking stadium. So who's the best country really? Fuck you Maradonna.

17th June 10, 12:51 PM
I like to see a team move the ball around alot making good use of their entire team. I love to see a goal that came out of some heavy midfield action and left the other team breathless and confused, then a sly pass to the unmarked man, easy shot. To me that kind of play demonstrates that the team has trained well together and that they deserve the win. Generally the best team usually wins but its especially nice when you can tell they worked really hard for it and applied their preparation.
To me that demonstrates a breakdown on defense.
I hate matches where the entire game is played on one-half of the pitch because you know a goal will come about just from the eventual sloppy play or coverage or not having someone in the squad drop back for even strength on defense, hedging their bets for a one-man advantage break the other way.
To me that doesn't demonstrate well-trained, it demonstrates the eventuality that defense=always one step behind trying to make up ground

Not really being a football "fan" I can say that I don't really care who wins or loses. The fanatacism that surrounds football in this country has always been a curiousity to me. I tend to regard football as the major religion in England. It's holy days are on a Saturday and Sunday. The ref is like the Pope for ninety minutes. The managers and coaches are the bishops and priests and the players are their acolytes running around to please the great god, whoever it maybe. Being an outsider I am not sure what exactly the tenets of this faith are, but they seem to teach a kind of basic survivalist pack mentality. Anyone who dies in a fight on a Derby goes onto surely goes on to spectate in some collosal stadial Valhalla where the referee never makes a wrong decision, the pies are always hot and the players never tire or get injured.
:Lebell will be along to call you a "creepy xtian":

Now thats twice you mentioned the Falklands so I will say this. When the Argies took the Falklands they what they didn't know is that the locals already built a football pitch on the island, and we British would never let a holy site of our greatest religion be desecrated by the stomping of Argie boots for long. So withing a few weeks we travelled half the world, had blown up half their airforce and sent our mighty warriors (many of whom were Scots.) to kick their arses not just off the pitch, but right out of the fnuking stadium. So who's the best country really? Fuck you Maradonna.
Hand of God still pokes sure and deep, eh?

Madgrenade
17th June 10, 01:04 PM
To me that demonstrates a breakdown on defense.
I hate matches where the entire game is played on one-half of the pitch because you know a goal will come about just from the eventual sloppy play or coverage or not having someone in the squad drop back for even strength on defense, hedging their bets for a one-man advantage break the other way.
To me that doesn't demonstrate well-trained, it demonstrates the eventuality that defense=always one step behind trying to make up ground

Hand of God still pokes sure and deep, eh?*

But if a team is able to put that much pressure on the opponents half a guarentee a goal through sheer number of shot then it seems obvious to me that they are the better team and deserve every goal they get.

*Chuckles.

17th June 10, 01:07 PM
But if a team is able to put that much pressure on the opponents half a guarentee a goal through sheer number of shot then it seems obvious to me that they are the better team and deserve every goal they get.
As a defender, I think too many times strikers think dropping back is beneath them.....moreso with many elite level players.
They won't venture past the half-field mark.

*Chuckles.
=)

Madgrenade
17th June 10, 01:11 PM
You think I'd get published?

17th June 10, 01:35 PM
Yes, faygz like NOB would eat that ghey writing up with a spoon

Adouglasmhor
17th June 10, 04:41 PM
Thats all bullshit. The Scots are still pissed off about the clearances.

I went to Glasgow to look at a drama school, and some fat ginger bitch goes... "Och, di ye nae have drama schools in England." as if I had violated some unspoken agreement that the English should stay south of the border. At at night only the students would be welcoming, with faces all across the spectrum hardening when their ears were exposed to our dulcet Surrey tones.

I found Glascow to be the most unwelcoming city it has been my misfortune to visit. The bowl it sits in would be quite picturesque were it no for the grey scab nestled at the bottom. Wheras in Surrey people are nice to pretty much everyone and even if they aren't, they would never have the sheer bad manners to fail to conceal the fact.

Get over it Scotland. Braveheart was fifteen years ago. Fnuking racists.

The clearances are a myth. Really anyone that fucked of to another country paid for the privileges. less than 10% of the population lived in those areas anyway. Mty GF is from Coventry and her experience does not mirror yours, are you sure people did not pick on you just because you are a cunt?

Adouglasmhor
17th June 10, 04:48 PM
so does that mean you rooted for the US against Brazil in the '94 cup (round of 16)

Possibly I did I cant' remember I am not that passionate about footie.

USA are reigning Olympic champs at Rugby Union. http://wapedia.mobi/en/United_States_national_rugby_union_team#1. But it goes in the Olympics in 2012 or 2016 as 7s.

Adouglasmhor
17th June 10, 04:53 PM
Have you ever been beaten up for being Scottish ?

No but i have been attacked for being Scottish* and done a runner as well when being chased for being Scottish`.

*In Lisburn.
`In London near Elephant and Castle, to be fair they were boneheads and I was in biker gear the Scottish thing only kicked of during the interview stage.

Have you ever been attacked for being English?

Madgrenade
18th June 10, 07:03 AM
The clearances are a myth. Really anyone that fucked of to another country paid for the privileges. less than 10% of the population lived in those areas anyway. Mty GF is from Coventry and her experience does not mirror yours, are you sure people did not pick on you just because you are a cunt?

Could be, could be. But I'd hardly call Coventry south.

Cullion
18th June 10, 09:25 AM
No but i have been attacked for being Scottish* and done a runner as well when being chased for being Scottish`.

*In Lisburn.
`In London near Elephant and Castle, to be fair they were boneheads and I was in biker gear the Scottish thing only kicked of during the interview stage.

Have you ever been attacked for being English?

Yes, twice. In Corby. By people with pseudo-Glaswegian accents.

Adouglasmhor
18th June 10, 01:00 PM
Yes, twice. In Corby. By people with pseudo-Glaswegian accents.

I was warned when visiting Kettering for a wedding not to go into a certain pub with my accent because of the Corby thing. It's retarded. Sorry you got dragged into it.

Why would you want to go to Corby anyway?

Background for others, Corby is a town in Northamptonshire England that has a large ethnic Scots minority imported from mostly Lanarkshire in the 1950s, the steelworks shut down in 1973 but there are still people who have "Scottish" accents and there are grudges with neighbouring towns like Kettering, Peterborough, Market Harborough and probably Leicester as well.

Adouglasmhor
18th June 10, 01:02 PM
Could be, could be. But I'd hardly call Coventry south.
It's south of here.

And you never mentioned south in your other post.

I got grief for talking in RP on leave in Glasgow when I was training as a radio telegraphist . But I had the balls to tell people to fuck of when it happened to me.

Cullion
18th June 10, 01:47 PM
I was warned when visiting Kettering for a wedding not to go into a certain pub with my accent because of the Corby thing. It's retarded. Sorry you got dragged into it.

Why would you want to go to Corby anyway?

It's near to where I grew up. I knew a few good people from there, but some of the pubs are extremely rough.

They still had a highland games in Corby when I was a kid.

Adouglasmhor
18th June 10, 02:11 PM
It's near to where I grew up. I knew a few good people from there, but some of the pubs are extremely rough.

They still had a highland games in Corby when I was a kid.

The time in Kettering there were two pubs side by side one was quiet and had bombardier on draught, the other was noisy. I went into the quiet one and ordered a pint, barman says what part of Corby are you from?
I replied I am from Glasgow.
He said they all say that what part?
I gave him the big spiel. Born in Stirlingshire, lived in the West End till aged 6 then Springburn.

He then asked me what I was doing in Kettering, I said an army mate was getting married.

He then thawed out, told me he had been a RMP and was a local police Sgt, his wife owned the pub and told me to be careful where I went.
I had a couple of more pints went to a local pizza place for something to eat, ran into my mate's fiancée's hen party at the end of their night, got asked if one of the bridesmaids could stay with me in my hotel (I was not aware of this custom, madgrenade is right English people are much friendlier). I did get some travelling salesman types in the hotel gossiping behind my back the next morning.