PDA

View Full Version : MR2 SMT

MrGalt
2nd June 10, 07:39 AM
I was looking around on Yahoo! autos hoping to buy something in August when I visit the U.S. again. I have wanted an MR2 Spyder since I first saw one as a college student. I have done the 4-door thing and the station wagon thing and right now I'm doing the Japan Rail pass thing. I want something ridiculously irresponsible before it's minivan time.

I test drove one of these at a Carmax in Salt Lake City a long time ago but I didn't have the money at the time. The one I drove then was a 5-speed. The one I'm looking at now has a sequential manual transmission. Motor Trend magazine tells me it's a "true" SMT, not just an automatic with a faux shifter. I still don't particularly know what that means in terms of reliability and maintenance or whether I'd be happy with such a thing.

http://knoxvilleroadrunner.autorevo.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2532065
Here's the car. I don't dig the gold wheels and I'd honestly rather have the car in yellow and black instead of green and brown, but there's a big jump in price to the cheapest one I can find in the color I want.

Anybody have an opinion on the MR2's SMT? Should I give this car a pass because of it? Is there a better place I should look?

Ajamil
2nd June 10, 02:58 PM
There's a lot of really snazzy minivans out there, you know.

Otherwise, I doubt I could fit into that thing - at least comfortably, and certainly if I tried to get behind the wheel. Looks nice though, kind of a merger between a Ferrari and a Miata.

Phrost
2nd June 10, 06:09 PM
Get the stick man, the SMT is going to make it heavier.

And vaginaier.

MrGalt
2nd June 10, 07:15 PM
I can't seem to find a comparison of the weights of the two transmission options. Apparently the SMT is the same gearbox as the regular manual. Reviewers definitely agree with your second rather imaginative adjective though. Heavier or not, it upshifts lackadaisically and takes over half a second longer to go 0-30 than the stick.

Meh, we'll see. I hit the shores of Americaland in 62 days, so this one will probably be sold and a different one will be available in my price range somewhere else by then. If it's still on the lot though, I might go for it at $9,000. Being an expat I'm not sure I'd pass a credit check for financing and $9K is all the cash I have on hand.

Neildo
4th June 10, 03:59 AM
Sirc is our local MR2 expert, despite having sold his. pretty sure he had the mk. 2 turbo.

i don't know why you guys think a sequential transmission is vaginaier. sequential transmissions are sweet, so long as it actually works like it's supposed to and not hooked up to a computer that will change the gear when it wants to as opposed to when you want to.

as far as cars go, if you want a 2-seater mid-engined sports car and don't want to spend a shit-ton of money, you're pretty much stuck with an MR2.

I want a supercharged mk.1 black on black.

WhiteShark
4th June 10, 10:58 AM
I think I recognize that car. I wouldn't buy it. I'm pretty sure the previous owner was an avid Autocross racer.

MrGalt
4th June 10, 06:22 PM
WhiteShark, you're serious? You recognize a green MR2 with gold wheels? I guess it could be the only one.

EDIT: Did some Google Image searching. I found a green with yellow wheels in some race photos, a green SMT with a V6, and one with a spoiler. I know spoilers can be removed and wheels can change, but I haven't found the same car exactly.

Phrost
4th June 10, 09:21 PM
I had a MK 2 N/A (didn't know better, but neither did the chicks who got all moist thinking it was a fast car... aww hell yeah.)

Xioxou
5th June 10, 04:27 PM
Then you got a TT. You're all about the lamemobiles, Phrackypoo.

Phrost
6th June 10, 12:55 AM
It was fun; I'd get another if I found a deal on one.

billy sol hurok
6th June 10, 06:49 AM
Phase II was comfier, but at the expense of Phase I's whippy, go-kart feel.

Haven't driven a Phase III yet, but supposedly it hearkens back to the original model's feel. Which it oughta, as they sacrificed even a semblance of a trunk.

So, I guess it was worth letting Da Shark in: MrGalt prolly doesn't want a car that's been autocrossed.

Neildo
7th June 10, 02:41 AM
saw an MR-S (the mk.III) at a dealership today. i really don't like the styling. it's got big gaudy headlights and it's all bubbly looking. a toyota MR-whatever should be sleek and sort of stealthy but the new one is a little too happy looking. especially in yellow, ew. the mk.ii in yellow is cool though

Sirc
8th June 10, 02:20 PM
I was looking around on Yahoo! autos hoping to buy something in August when I visit the U.S. again. I have wanted an MR2 Spyder since I first saw one as a college student. I have done the 4-door thing and the station wagon thing and right now I'm doing the Japan Rail pass thing. I want something ridiculously irresponsible before it's minivan time.

I test drove one of these at a Carmax in Salt Lake City a long time ago but I didn't have the money at the time. The one I drove then was a 5-speed. The one I'm looking at now has a sequential manual transmission. Motor Trend magazine tells me it's a "true" SMT, not just an automatic with a faux shifter. I still don't particularly know what that means in terms of reliability and maintenance or whether I'd be happy with such a thing.

http://knoxvilleroadrunner.autorevo.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2532065
Here's the car. I don't dig the gold wheels and I'd honestly rather have the car in yellow and black instead of green and brown, but there's a big jump in price to the cheapest one I can find in the color I want.

Anybody have an opinion on the MR2's SMT? Should I give this car a pass because of it? Is there a better place I should look?

The SMT int he spyders are ok, I think they suck personally. Just get the 5speed, the transmission is rock solid and very awesome. Why would you want a neutered transmission anyway?

Sirc
8th June 10, 02:22 PM
I can't seem to find a comparison of the weights of the two transmission options. Apparently the SMT is the same gearbox as the regular manual. Reviewers definitely agree with your second rather imaginative adjective though. Heavier or not, it upshifts lackadaisically and takes over half a second longer to go 0-30 than the stick.

Meh, we'll see. I hit the shores of Americaland in 62 days, so this one will probably be sold and a different one will be available in my price range somewhere else by then. If it's still on the lot though, I might go for it at $9,000. Being an expat I'm not sure I'd pass a credit check for financing and $9K is all the cash I have on hand.

The SMT adds a solid 200ish lbs to the car. The SMT weights in around 2250 while the 5speed depending on the year weighs in anywhere between 2050 and 2150. At that low of a weight, every pound starts affecting the car absurdly.

Sirc
8th June 10, 02:28 PM
Then you got a TT. You're all about the lamemobiles, Phrackypoo.

There never was a twin turbo version. Common misconception by those who think they know vs. those who don't know.

It was a twin scroll turbo which basically meant that the inlet on the intake side of the turbo had twin inlets one being for low end performance and one for high end or in the case of the MR2, mid-range performance. One had a sharper angle of intake and the other one not so much. It allowed for faster spooling, but sacrifice of peak power.

The MKIII is awesome and is the fastest MR2.

Neildo
8th June 10, 07:21 PM
i think xioxou meant phrost got an audi tt. because he did.

Sirc
9th June 10, 12:09 AM
Oh ok.

Ajamil
9th June 10, 04:26 AM
Closest we'll ever see Sirc get to saying he was wrong.

Neildo
9th June 10, 11:06 AM
his statement wasn't incorrect, it was miscorrect

Sirc
9th June 10, 01:44 PM
My bad.

MrGalt
20th June 10, 10:44 AM
The SMT adds a solid 200ish lbs to the car. The SMT weights in around 2250 while the 5speed depending on the year weighs in anywhere between 2050 and 2150. At that low of a weight, every pound starts affecting the car absurdly.

20. Not 200.
http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/05_mr2.pdf

Even so, I got my sister in law to check this one out and she said it vibrated badly and the dealer refused to acknowledge it. Paid for the Carfax and they've had the thing sitting on their lot on the biggest street in Knoxville since October at that price. It must be junk.

I'll look elsewhere and get whichever one the price is right on and I'm not going to worry about which transmission it has too much.

Sirc
21st June 10, 02:43 AM
20. Not 200.
http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/05_mr2.pdf

Even so, I got my sister in law to check this one out and she said it vibrated badly and the dealer refused to acknowledge it. Paid for the Carfax and they've had the thing sitting on their lot on the biggest street in Knoxville since October at that price. It must be junk.

I'll look elsewhere and get whichever one the price is right on and I'm not going to worry about which transmission it has too much.

That's all well and good, but I've corner weighed an SMT and a 5speed. Both with roughly half a tank of gas with me in it.

The difference was about 150lbs. 200 is a high end estimate. There's all sorts of different reasons for weight discrepancies for weight. It really depends on the year though.

2000's were the lightest, 03-04's were the heaviest.

MrGalt
21st June 10, 09:23 AM
That's all well and good, but I've corner weighed an SMT and a 5speed. Both with roughly half a tank of gas with me in it.

The difference was about 150lbs. 200 is a high end estimate. There's all sorts of different reasons for weight discrepancies for weight. It really depends on the year though.

2000's were the lightest, 03-04's were the heaviest.

Same year? You didn't stop at Taco Bell first did you?

The stuff I read about the 2001 suggested that it's the same gearbox on the manual and the SMT and that the SMT was essentially just a computer-mediated device that clutched for you. Why would that thing weigh 200 pounds? That's really big. Where would it go? I know these are dumb questions because I'm honestly pretty dumb about cars.

I'm not mechanically inclined to tell you the truth. I don't want to be sold a bill of goods either way. I know you're a more serious driver than I am. Hell, this thing's going to get 3 weeks of use a year. I get the impression that you're a purist and that a manual transmission is the only thing you'd accept. I'm more ambiguous about it. The only other manual I have driven regularly was a 6-speed Ford Focus SVT. It was pretty okay. I loved it in the country, hated it in the city.

I'll probably get a hardtop for it before I leave Japan, so it's going to get heavier.

MrGalt
11th July 10, 10:25 AM
Epilogue:

I ended up going with a 2003 with the 6-speed SMT. I sent the money to the US and my mother in law picked it up for me. I'll actually see it in 25 days.

Steve
11th July 10, 09:01 PM
It'l like the same thing with me and my laser.

Except I don't know if I'll ever actually get it. :/

Japuma
11th July 10, 10:49 PM
*Cue Sad Trombone....

WhiteShark
30th July 10, 03:43 PM
Even so, I got my sister in law to check this one out and she said it vibrated badly and the dealer refused to acknowledge it. Paid for the Carfax and they've had the thing sitting on their lot on the biggest street in Knoxville since October at that price. It must be junk. .

Told you I recognized that car. The MR2 spyder was a rare but very well classed autocross car a couple years ago. There are not a lot in the Southeast and the Knoxville SCCA has a very active Autocross group.

MrGalt
30th July 10, 06:40 PM
Told you I recognized that car. The MR2 spyder was a rare but very well classed autocross car a couple years ago. There are not a lot in the Southeast and the Knoxville SCCA has a very active Autocross group.

Yeah, thanks for the tip. My in-laws who are actually driving it seem to really like the one "I've" bought instead. My wife's aunt now uses a picture of herself in my car as her facebook profile page and my sister in law has pretty horrible sunburn complete with seatbelt strap from driving it to work one day.

I guess the SMT was a good idea for when this left leg falls off and I can't push a clutch any more.

Sirc
26th August 10, 02:56 PM
Same year? You didn't stop at Taco Bell first did you?

The stuff I read about the 2001 suggested that it's the same gearbox on the manual and the SMT and that the SMT was essentially just a computer-mediated device that clutched for you. Why would that thing weigh 200 pounds? That's really big. Where would it go? I know these are dumb questions because I'm honestly pretty dumb about cars.

I'm not mechanically inclined to tell you the truth. I don't want to be sold a bill of goods either way. I know you're a more serious driver than I am. Hell, this thing's going to get 3 weeks of use a year. I get the impression that you're a purist and that a manual transmission is the only thing you'd accept. I'm more ambiguous about it. The only other manual I have driven regularly was a 6-speed Ford Focus SVT. It was pretty okay. I loved it in the country, hated it in the city.

I'll probably get a hardtop for it before I leave Japan, so it's going to get heavier.

A lot of weight is nickel and dimed to death. Different materials here that weigh an extra 2-3lbs, a few changes to the wiring that adds another 1lb, maybe a little more sound deadening, etc. etc. They don't reweight and give out numbers usually. They just say, "Yeah it's all the same." Because they don't really give a fuck because as long as the MPG stays pretty similar, they won't tell you that the newer, safer models, weight 200lbs more.

Sirc
26th August 10, 02:58 PM
hey is that auto-x spyder still for sale? because I bet I could get it and fix it for cheap.

MrGalt
26th August 10, 09:23 PM
hey is that auto-x spyder still for sale? because I bet I could get it and fix it for cheap.

I was home on vacation and that green spyder is still sitting on the lot. They won't come down on the price at all though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the weight difference. I'm pretty happy with it anyway though. I did the math and on the interstate doing 70 in sixth gear I got 34.8 mpg for two tanks, so the fuel efficiency is definitely still satisfactory. I also read that the SMT was the only one with cruise control, which since this is my only car and not just for play will pay for itself in avoided citations.

Now I have to figure out if I'm better off buying a hardtop here in Japan and shipping it back to Tennessee or buying one in the US that has already been shipped.

Sirc
26th August 10, 10:54 PM
Buy it from japan. It'll be cheaper. There's a dealership in Florida that will import it for you, I'll try to find the link for you. It's roughly like $1300 from Florida.

I think there's one in LA too.

MrGalt
26th August 10, 11:42 PM
Buy it from japan. It'll be cheaper. There's a dealership in Florida that will import it for you, I'll try to find the link for you. It's roughly like $1300 from Florida.

I think there's one in LA too.

That would be great. The dealer the MR2OC boards recommend is charging $2520. I just don't know the particulars of shipping something that size to the US from Japan, paying customs, all that.

I have a friend in the AF who might be able to help me but he's already quasi-legally shipping a bunch of Skyline parts for some other guys.

Sirc
27th August 10, 02:37 AM
Customs isn't bad if you show a receipt for less than a certain amount. I don't know what it is specifically.

PS: Fuck MR2OC. That place is a shithole.

http://www.spyderchat.com is ok, but the best place for you to go is http://mr2.com/vba_cmps.php

I used to be a huge fucking troll there with as much of a prolific status as I do on bullshido, but eventually got bored when I found bullshido. Give it a whirl. They're a great crowd and MUCH more knowledgable than mr2oc.

MrGalt
27th August 10, 09:38 AM
Customs isn't bad if you show a receipt for less than a certain amount. I don't know what it is specifically.

PS: Fuck MR2OC. That place is a shithole.

http://www.spyderchat.com is ok, but the best place for you to go is http://mr2.com/vba_cmps.php

I used to be a huge fucking troll there with as much of a prolific status as I do on bullshido, but eventually got bored when I found bullshido. Give it a whirl. They're a great crowd and MUCH more knowledgable than mr2oc.

Spyderchat is some interesting reading. MR2OC looks like all Americans while these guys vary more. After seeing them light into a guy asking after a hardtop I suspect I have some lurking and whatnot to do. It looks like at the mileage mine has it's past the time when the notorious problem with the pre-catalytic converter should have done its damage.

The guy I had already found selling the $2500 hardtop was even in the thread. I guess it's a small community.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll learn a lot about this new car that I won't get to see again for 11 more months in the coming days.

Sirc
27th August 10, 01:40 PM
Yeah, i stopped going to spyderchat to be a part of the community when every single member turned out to be a forum full of oldman34 combined with lebell. It has really good information though. The community is small and the community at large has 0 knowledge about anything, but specific members are a WEALTH of knowledge.

MR2OC is an entire forum full of Rudy Abels. The MR2.com guys are the best group of dudes, except for a few guys (shimric) who are the dumbest of dumbfucks and the most pathetic of human beings. But it does have a HUGE awesome database of knowledge.

Personally, I don't really go to any of them anymore as I don't have an MR2 anymore. I also don't go to NASIOC or any of the impreza forums because they're full of retards and I have to try really hard not to murder myself when I'm on there.