PDA

View Full Version : Korean Internet Gamers Starve Baby To Enjoy Games

OZZ
28th May 10, 11:31 AM
This just about takes the cake for malpractice...
Internet and gaming addiction is a serious problem in Asian countries. I think this is one of the worst cases i have heard about..

Internet addicts guilty of starving baby to death Module body

1 hour, 45 minutes ago

By Sangwon Yoon, The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

SEOUL, South Korea - A South Korean couple were convicted Friday of abandoning their newborn daughter, who starved to death while they addictively played an online game raising a virtual child.

The husband, a 41-year-old taxi driver, and his 25-year-old wife were sentenced to two years in prison, but the woman's term was suspended because she is pregnant.

The couple played at Internet cafes on average 10 hours every day and bottle-fed their baby only once a day, prosecutors said in an affidavit.

The girl, who was born prematurely and weighed 5 pounds (2.25 kilograms), was often fed rotten formula and was beaten when she cried out of hunger, the affidavit said.

They found her dead when they returned to their home in Suwon, just south of Seoul, after an all-night gaming session last September, the ruling said. They hid at a relative's home after a autopsy found the baby died of malnutrition.

"This constitutes an inhumane crime where the defendants abandoned even the most basic responsibilities as parents, and is unforgivable beyond any excuse or reason," the Suwon District Court said in the ruling.

The mother will avoid jail time if she stays out of trouble for three years. The couple, who have only been identified by their surnames, Kim, have seven days to appeal.

The case shocked South Korea and raised concern over the severity of online gaming and Internet addiction in the nation of 49 million. The government says there are 2 million "Internet addicts" in the nation considered one of the world's most technologically wired.

Carpe Noctem
28th May 10, 12:38 PM
I'd like to say shit like this surprises me, but I'd be a liar.

Un-fucking-real. As a father, I just can't wrap my head around this. Letting their daughter die, to play a game raising a virtual child...

Some folks just don't need to be breathing.

Ajamil
28th May 10, 12:39 PM
Oof, maybe NK should bomb them. The fact that they were raising a virtual child just makes it that much more heinous.

Then again, the first thing I thought of was the American father who wouldn't leave his game console to check on his daughter - who had fallen into a crate in her closet and subsequently suffocated to death.

Iscariot
28th May 10, 01:00 PM
Can a mod please change the title of this thread to "Selfish Child Interrupts Parent's Social Life" to remove the Republican bias?

Kthxbai.

EvilSteve
28th May 10, 01:06 PM
Yeah, seriously, that baby was a DICK.

lant3rn
28th May 10, 01:13 PM
The cruelty all depends on what game they were playing

Ajamil
28th May 10, 01:14 PM
It only took 4 posts to blame the baby for requiring food. Good job, internet.

The cruelty all depends on what game they were playingThey were raising virtual children!

You know, that leads to an interesting idea. Just take their kid and put it behind a computer screen. I bet she would've been raised perfectly and grown up to take over SE Asia that way.

lant3rn
28th May 10, 01:23 PM
What?

There just sympathetic to the parents point of view

The parents past parenting experience proably came from online games and tamagochi toys; must have beleived it had a reset button.

OZZ
28th May 10, 02:31 PM
Sad thing is they probably won't get a severe enough punishment and the stupid mother is pregnant AGAIN..

Fearless Ukemi
28th May 10, 02:34 PM
But if they go to jail, the virtual baby might die. We need to consider the virtual children.

Before I opened this thread I was expecting it to be World of Warcraft.

Kiko
28th May 10, 02:38 PM
When their next baby is born, he/she should be given to someone who will care for it properly.

Yes, I went there.

Kein Haar
28th May 10, 02:46 PM
Why did you go there, Kiko?

lant3rn
28th May 10, 02:47 PM
When their next baby is born, he/she should be given to someone who will care for it properly.

Yes, I went there.

Like YOU?

IF the koreans just neutered them, then they wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

It would also set a strong precedent for deterence.

Ajamil
28th May 10, 03:28 PM
Welcome to Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr. has determined that you have no way to support your children. Carl's Jr. has confiscated your children for their betterment...

Feryk
28th May 10, 03:41 PM

Yes, I went there.

by comparison, foster homes look good. + rep when I am able to.

Conde Koma
28th May 10, 04:44 PM
This is completely unreal. It boggles the mind how ridiculously stupid people can be sometimes.

Kiko
28th May 10, 06:37 PM
Why? Cause I DID game alot, but I either logged out or went afk if my kids needed me. The worst thing that happened was that dinner got a bit burned. You can ask them, honest!

Ironically, now that they're old enough to fend for themselves, I'm kinda meh about MMORPGs. Anyone know of a good one?

jkdbuck76
28th May 10, 08:59 PM
They were raising virtual children!

Yes. That would be like Hitler being nice to virtual Jews.

And they get a slap on the wrist for killing their child?

Ajamil
28th May 10, 10:46 PM
I wasn't excusing them. Someone asked what game they were playing. I think it makes it that much worse. Like a pro-fighter wasting training time playing UFC Undisputed.

Wounded Ronin
29th May 10, 04:28 PM

Yes, I went there.

I don't think it's really that controversial. CPS does the same thing, and only idiots think CPS is dubious.

CoffeeFan
4th June 10, 05:11 PM
A South Korean couple were convicted Friday of abandoning their newborn daughter, who starved to death while they addictively played an online game raising a virtual child.

I don't know if that counts as ironic, but it sure is pathetic.

Kein Haar
4th June 10, 08:58 PM
Is there a point to that post?

Harpy
5th June 10, 04:47 AM
Kein, humans need to express their feelings. Your virtual puppy needs you.

Spade: The Real Snake
5th June 10, 11:31 AM
two dozen posts and not one "LOLZ PWND U N00B!"?

Arhetton
5th June 10, 12:02 PM
oh yeah?

http://www.stuffwelike.com/stuffwelike/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/star-craft-2.pngthis actually happened a long time ago, this is the verdict of the case.

Kein Haar
6th June 10, 01:53 AM
An infant is a n00b. Ha!

nihilist
7th June 10, 02:51 AM
The couple should have tried virtual fucking.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
7th June 10, 04:23 AM
This would never of happend in North Korea

Kein Haar
7th June 10, 05:27 AM
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.