PDA

View Full Version : Psychology Today - Mental Health Professionals Not Terribly Mentally Healthy

TheMightyMcClaw
14th May 10, 11:44 PM
I just dug up this old article today:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200909/why-shrinks-have-problems
The basic gist of it, mental health professionals are prone to poor mental health, and a couple hypotheses as of why.
This was of particular interest to me, as my own experience has been pointing me in the direction of "watch out for psychologists, those fuckers are crazy" for a while. My parents have numerous associates in the mental health profession; most of them are, as I understand it, divorced. In college, I had approximately one fuckton of friends who majored in psychology; they generally excelled beyond their peers in terms of scope and breadth of personal neuroses.
It's nice to finally get an insider's perspective and some relevant statistics on these issues.

EuropIan
15th May 10, 12:08 AM
It's also ironic that to become a therapist, one has to undergo a year of supervision, Which is basically therapy.

SFGOON
15th May 10, 12:46 AM
I actually read (most of) the article. I can substantiate one part with absolute certainty; dealing with insane people, tragedy, and all that other heinous shit infects your personality in a pretty profound way.

I'm already starting to see it in a lot of my academy classmates. They've gone from optimistic kids to looking and acting all worn out and chronically annoyed. They've finished 5% of their careers at this point. I can't say I'm sorry things went the way they did for me.

nihilist
15th May 10, 01:11 AM
It's also no big stretch to assume that a good number of people get involved or interested in the field to sort out their own issues.

WarPhalange
15th May 10, 01:11 AM
I can see what GOON is saying. Whenever I read fmylife.com for prolonged periods of time (i.e. going through the old ones) I start to feel depressed and angry at the world. I have to snap out of it and realize that most of the world is not like that.

Similarly, I can totally see someone who is around people in shitty situations in their lives to start to lose it themselves.

nihilist
15th May 10, 01:12 AM
You really shouldn't talk about Kein that way.

Kiko
15th May 10, 06:08 AM
Ah, geeze. Now I have to read it. My daughter is going to college this fall and guess what she's choosing as a major/career? (No, I will not post pics of her, nor tell you where she's going...)

Does this study/article make a distinction between the various levels? Psychiatrist/social worker, etc?

Oke, read it. *yawn* Psychology Today isn't really very credible, it's a rag. But the topic could be fun for us....

Kein Haar
15th May 10, 07:43 AM
I had to go to a marriage seminar before getting married, and the psychologist/seminar-giver said that same thing about himself and his ilk.

Truculent Sheep
15th May 10, 07:50 AM
Psychology researchers are some of the nicest, friendliest people you could meet, but they'd probably be nodding all the time whilst reading this thread.

I had the chance to take psychology at university, but turned it down: Prodding one's self-conscious and that of others seemed a bit masochistic somehow.

mrblackmagic
15th May 10, 10:40 AM
I had the chance to take psychology at university, but turned it down: Prodding one's self-conscious and that of others seemed a bit masochistic somehow.

Same here

In my experience, there are three types of psychologist. People who wanted to help other people, but didn't want to be M.D. or clergy; people who wanted to figure out how their own mind worked; and pseudo-Hannibal Lecters who got kicks from playing around in people's heads.

Lebell
15th May 10, 10:45 AM
hehehe i remember this article in a dutch newspaper, it was wrtten by a psychologist who claimed that at least 80% of psychologists got motivated to study the mind because there was something wrong with their own.

some days later there was a letter in the editorials:
' i strongly disagree with the statistics as given in the article by the psychologist, he states it's 80%, this is clearly wrong, it should be 95%.
A. Janszen, psyciatrist, amsterdam.

i lmao for 2 minutes.

jkdbuck76
15th May 10, 12:23 PM
This is no surprise. I've heard "nobody ministers to the ministers".

This is the same thing.

Cullion
15th May 10, 05:50 PM
It's also no big stretch to assume that a good number of people get involved or interested in the field to sort out their own issues.

^ This.

There certainly seems to be some proportion of therapists who seem to think 'becoming a therapist' is what you 'graduate to' after a certain amount of your own therapy.