PDA

View Full Version : Social cuts rsponsible for syphilis!!!

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
14th May 10, 07:45 AM
Michigan has been undergoing a massive carving festival of state services for nearly a decade, with each progressive year finding lawmakers cutting more from the budget than the previous year. Lawmakers say they are long past cutting fat and muscle and are now down to carving out bone.

And that just might be the reason three of the state's 83 counties are reporting an upsurge of syphilis cases, as I reported in the Michigan Messenger on April 29.

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/michigans_syphilis_problem_increases

Uhuh thats right you need state intervention to stop you getting sex

HappyOldGuy
14th May 10, 10:32 AM
Max, I think you need a basic lesson in how public health services control venereal disease.

14th May 10, 10:37 AM
They use a fence or sumit?

HappyOldGuy
14th May 10, 10:38 AM
They test and notify people who have been exposed so they will take their penicillin and not infect other people.

(mind you, I think the OP article may be reaching, syphilis rates have gone up in some other places also)

Cullion
14th May 10, 11:16 AM
I'd say the meeting strangers on the internet to anally probe is more responsible, but I guess that's a left-right thing.

14th May 10, 11:20 AM
Yes it would seem that right wingers are more likely to know about such things

Cullion
14th May 10, 11:26 AM
Absolutely.

Wounded Ronin
14th May 10, 07:40 PM
They use a fence or sumit?

If you didn't know anything about syphillis, how would you know that you had it? :f-off:

15th May 10, 10:06 AM
If you didn't know anything about syphillis, how would you know that you had it? :f-off:

If I was stupid enough to have unprotected sex with unknown partners then I guess I would be too stupid to realise that I might catch something, your right.

Wounded Ronin
16th May 10, 10:29 AM
If I was stupid enough to have unprotected sex with unknown partners then I guess I would be too stupid to realise that I might catch something, your right.

What is more is that the initial symptoms of syphillis are a bit subtle and actually go away after a short while. So if someone were ignorant they'd think they "got better", and then they'd be on their merry way spreading it around.

That's why county-level public health agencies do contact investigations for this kind of thing. They actually find out who you had sex with, find all of those people, and bring them in for testing and treatment.

So now you've answered your question. Seeing as some people are ignorant and don't necessarily get the concept of asymptomatic contagious disease, if you didn't have those contact investigations, certain diseases would be a lot more likely to spread through the population.

17th May 10, 06:16 AM
You've had a bad experience I take it

Wounded Ronin
17th May 10, 09:33 PM
I'm a disease investigator. I deal with crap like that all the time.

Ajamil
18th May 10, 12:12 AM
Well, just like my bout of syphilis, this thread has worked itself out with no effort on my part.

Wounded Ronin
19th May 10, 06:25 PM
Well, just like my bout of syphilis, this thread has worked itself out with no effort on my part.

Ha ha, the chancre went away by itself, did it? :seppuku:

Ajamil
19th May 10, 06:48 PM
I think the herpes killed that part off. They're a jealous virus.