PDA

View Full Version : Magistrate rules that calling a cop a 'prick' is acceptable in NSW, Australia

Harpy
3rd May 10, 06:51 PM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1047969/calling-a-cop-a-prick-is-ok-court

Some prick of a cop put a university student up in local court over an offensive language charge. The student had used the term on Senior Constable Adam Royds when confronted about jumping a barrier.

Local magistrate Robbie Williams (hahaha) had this to say:

"I consider the word prick is of a less derogatory nature than other words and it is in common usage in this country," Mr Williams said.

New South Wales (the state that Sydney is in) Police Association slammed the ruling as they believe this signals approval of such offensive language towards their police officers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this was the right call by the magistrate. It probably shouldn't even have been brought to court.

I actually like the police but do they really try to string up people for the smalles of things? If the student had shouted or been aggressive, there'd be a case. Looks like Senior Constable Royds was just being a prat.

NSW Police need to chill out. This isn't exactly some Supreme Court precedent.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd May 10, 06:54 PM
In America you can tell a cop to suck your nuts, go fuck himself, sit on a dick, whatever, as long as you don't actually threaten him.

It's not a great idea, it's just nice that we can.

elipson
3rd May 10, 08:31 PM
If you know the system there are always ways to fuck with a cops night.

However, they always have more ways of fucking with yours.

Hedley LaMarr
3rd May 10, 11:24 PM
In high school I always had fun making oinking noises whenever the school cop walked by.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 12:05 AM
Because you are a portly, wisconsin hayseed and that's simply how you communicate?

Harpy
4th May 10, 12:10 AM
There is probably no need for such language and it seems that when someone gets caught doing the wrong thing, they vent at the cops.

danno
4th May 10, 12:25 AM
this has already been dealt with a long time ago, or so i thought.

dad was hell pissed when they ruled that you can't lock people up for swearing at police in public. that happened in the 70s or early 80s i believe.

the next day people were taking advantage of it and calling police names.

he punched someone a few days later for calling him a fucking pig or something like that.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure what to think.

In the olden days, sass would warrant a beating...but sass was never illegal, per se. But that was the trade off, I guess. Pigs weren't terribly professional, so feel free to mouth off at your own unofficial peril.

Now, if you had an immaculate police force as tender as MJS's taint, and as professional as Stephen Covey...then maybe they don't deserve name calling.

But was that ever really the case in Oz?

I just don't know.

Now that police are getting more professional, the ability of a civilian to be a butt has not abated in any legal sense, and yet we're further from random beatings than we've ever been.

I'm the victim here. Me.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 12:44 AM
As someone who had to put up with years of being called a Brit Bastard, A Porridge Wog and a Cunt for doing my job, I think it is pretty low to allow someone to be verbally abused because of their occupation. Kein Harr is joking but right as well. He is the victim here.

Yiktin Voxbane
4th May 10, 01:36 AM
*Porridge Wog*

For some reason I giggled like a schoolgirl when I read that .

danno
4th May 10, 01:37 AM
i can't help sympathising with the police as well. i copped nightly verbal abuse as a guard. though i knew that it came with the job, it does start to fuck with you after a while.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 01:40 AM
I'm kind of kidding.

It's typically not bad, and when it is, it's not like one is concerned with winning the esteem of intelligent company anyway.

Usually, it's more along the lines of rhetorical questions about having nothing better to do, etc. Fair question. The answer is obviously no, since I'm there and talking to the person.

But then again, I always have the luxury of driving away from most incidents.

Bouncers, COs, security guads...holy jeebus. You need thick skin to have to literally stand there and take it. Come to think of it, the most acutely ridiculous asshole I ever had to deal with occurred in retail sales. I mean in terms of sober, unprovoked insults and RACE BAITING. I've never had race baiting occur that bad while policing...ever.

danno
4th May 10, 01:46 AM
there was this guy i used to work with who really couldn't take it. a couple of times i actually restrained him from attacking people. even though part of me wanted to let him do it...

bob
4th May 10, 02:04 AM
. The student had used the term on Senior Cunt-stable Adam Royds when confronted about jumping a barrier.

This is the usual format for circumventing offensive language laws by the young and feckless, with degree of emphasis varying depending on your comic paradigm.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 02:37 AM
In high school I always had fun making oinking noises whenever the school cop walked by.

Seconded.

I think it is pretty low to allow someone to be verbally abused because of their occupation.

I think protected speech is more important than your feelings.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 02:47 AM
I think whupping on pizza boys should be every manager's right.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 03:08 AM
Calm down you're fogging up your mirrored cop shades.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 03:24 AM
No, the humidity from your rectum is.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 03:34 AM
I think the glaze on your donut is melting.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 03:37 AM
I think you need to pop your trunk.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 03:50 AM
But how will my drugs stay hidden if I open my trunk?

jvjim
4th May 10, 04:02 AM
The British and the Austrailians don't have the level of reverance for free speech that we do in America (on a personal level that is, the American media has degnerated horribly). It's kinda weird to hear how pissed the Brits and Aussies are over this, particularly those who aren't cops. Of course, in the South if you pull that shit you're getting processed regardless.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 04:04 AM
But how will my drugs stay hidden if I open my trunk?

I meant the ass-hatch on your footie pajamas.

Edit: Let's make one thing clear. I am a gay, pedophile police officer.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 04:12 AM
Oh, good. I'm 19.

danno
4th May 10, 04:37 AM
The British and the Austrailians don't have the level of reverance for free speech that we do in America (on a personal level that is, the American media has degnerated horribly). It's kinda weird to hear how pissed the Brits and Aussies are over this, particularly those who aren't cops. Of course, in the South if you pull that shit you're getting processed regardless.

i don't consider it "free speech". it's actually weird for me to hear someone describing it that way.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 04:49 AM
Oh, good. I'm 19.

Very funny, kid.

You're a 15 year old azian kid. I do accept that you're male, though.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 04:51 AM
It might be hard to understand for someone who hates freedom.

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 04:59 AM
You just crossed a line.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 05:00 AM
Danno can handle himself Officer Barbrady.

jvjim
4th May 10, 06:33 AM
5PDBg7wYCQI

Hedley LaMarr
4th May 10, 09:08 AM
Because you are a portly, wisconsin hayseed and that's simply how you communicate?
We communicate in the language of cows, retard. I just took pig as a second language.

danno
4th May 10, 09:25 AM
just found this:

vvQXjh-NnLM

this, this would happen every time someone was getting restrained. some other cunt, or cunts would arrive and demand you let the bastard go, all the while they're screaming "assault! assault!"

every now and then a guard would get king hit by some cunt while busy with another. half the trouble was managing the other cunts who were watching.

(rant incoming)

all i wanna do is pay the bills, buy pizza and rent some DVDs when i get home from work. i don't want some cunt in my face calling me a "rent a cop wanna-be pig cunt" just because i was standing there in a black shirt minding my own business. why do you have to pick a fight? why do you have to spit on me? why ruin the night for other people? now i'm gunna be all pumped up and pissed off, unable to sleep for hours after going to bed.

fuck yooouuuuuu

Cullion
4th May 10, 11:22 AM
why don't you become a real cop with a gun, and take revenge?

Kein Haar
4th May 10, 02:33 PM
Bar people are awesome. There could be a fight with several people and possible weapons, and some drunk twat will always come up to you and be like; "haw....haww.....so...OMG...what ....did every cop show up to this? slow night?? HAWW.......HAW..."

When there are are like 3 or 4 of us.

Ajamil
4th May 10, 04:40 PM
Come to think of it, the most acutely ridiculous asshole I ever had to deal with occurred in retail sales. I mean in terms of sober, unprovoked insults and RACE BAITING. I've never had race baiting occur that bad while policing...ever.People who think they have power over you can be quite vicious - especially if they think (and are often correct) that bitching will get them what they want and more. I've had people go off on me about things that I have no control over while serving. I had one person bitch at me for something another customer was doing. I just held my tongue while my mind kept screaming, "Yell at them, asshole, and let me go get your fucking food so you don't have another reason to be pissed." They got a free meal and a coupon for next time they come in.

"The customer is always right" seriously needs to be rescinded.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 04:52 PM
Seconded.

I think protected speech is more important than your feelings.

What's protected about being a snidey little shit?
What's protected about people shouting lies about you?
I am neither a bastard nor a cunt, slander is not allowed even under protected speech (I am an oatmeal savage though, surprised to see you supporting racism though).

I think you are so fucking up your own arse you don't understand what protected speech is, you cheapen it with your inanity.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 04:57 PM
People who think they have power over you can be quite vicious - especially if they think (and are often correct) that bitching will get them what they want and more. I've had people go off on me about things that I have no control over while serving. I had one person bitch at me for something another customer was doing. I just held my tongue while my mind kept screaming, "Yell at them, asshole, and let me go get your fucking food so you don't have another reason to be pissed." They got a free meal and a coupon for next time they come in.

"The customer is always right" seriously needs to be rescinded.

One of the things I love about mom and pop pizza shops is that they're usually pretty badass about this kind of thing. The first guy I worked for actually booted a paying customer out of the shop because he was harassing me.

I am neither a bastard nor a cunt, slander is not allowed even under protected speech (I am an oatmeal savage though, surprised to see you supporting racism though).

It is not the same as slander. Sometimes free speech includes speech you don't like, whether it's a neo-nazi rally or someone calling you a cockgobbling cumslut.

HappyOldGuy
4th May 10, 04:59 PM

I think you are so fucking up your own arse you don't understand what protected speech is, you cheapen it with your inanity.

Everything is protected about being a snidey little shit. Slander (in the states) has a much narrower definition that you are giving it.

And I approve 100%. The UK libel and slander laws are often used to hide from legitimate criticism.

Cullion
4th May 10, 05:03 PM
We've lost a lot of our freedom of speech in the UK, but we always had rules about insulting a police officer.

Our police officers used to patrol on their own, on foot with only a wooden dildo and a helmet that looked sort of like a boob for protection, so I'm sure you can understand that they had to nip any sort of fighting talk right in the bud.

This was in an era when most people with no serious criminal record could still own a firearm, and police officers didn't have them.

'Insulting a police officer' used to be quite narrowly defined so that 'I think you are an idiot' was okay, but 'you are a fucking idiot' was not, IIRC.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:10 PM
One of the things I love about mom and pop pizza shops is that they're usually pretty badass about this kind of thing. The first guy I worked for actually booted a paying customer out of the shop because he was harassing me. so it's allright when someone else has their freedom of speech curtailed when it affects you.

It is not the same as slander.
slan·der
   /ˈslændər/ Show Spelled[slan-der] Show IPA
–noun
defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander.
a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.
Law. defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.
Sometimes free speech includes speech you don't like, whether it's a neo-nazi rally or someone calling you a cockgobbling cumslut.

So free speech include lying.

What a wonderful use of the law,the founding fathers must have meant that when they set things up.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:12 PM
Everything is protected about being a snidey little shit. Slander (in the states) has a much narrower definition that you are giving it.

And I approve 100%. The UK libel and slander laws are often used to hide from legitimate criticism.
As they are both civil matters if you can prove you are telling the truth you can say what you like.

HappyOldGuy
4th May 10, 05:18 PM
As they are both civil matters if you can prove you are telling the truth you can say what you like.
One of the many differences between US and UK law is that the burden is on the cunt not only to prove that they aren't one, but to prove that their accuser knew it at the time they spoke.

The burden is all on the cuntee, the cunter doesn't have to do anything.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 05:22 PM
Free speech doesn't apply to private facilities. A property owner can kick you off for looking suspicious, being a dick, or just because he doesn't like your face. It's all good, he owns the damn land.

I think it's cute how you want to pull out a dictionary definition of slander instead of the modern legal definition. Who are you, Lancelot? Are you going to challenge me to a duel on the field of honor because I called you a stupid bastard?

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:23 PM
One of the many differences between US and UK law is that the burden is on the cunt not only to prove that they aren't one, but to prove that their accuser knew it at the time they spoke.

The burden is all on the cuntee, the cunter doesn't have to do anything.

So you can say anything you want true or not so long as you can convince a court you did not know you were just making it up as you go along. This is better than relying on truth as a yardstick in what way?

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:27 PM
Free speech doesn't apply to private facilities. A property owner can kick you off for looking suspicious, being a dick, or just because he doesn't like your face. It's all good, he owns the damn land.

I think it's cute how you want to pull out a dictionary definition of slander instead of the modern legal definition. Who are you, Lancelot? Are you going to challenge me to a duel on the field of honor because I called you a stupid bastard?

The legal definition was no3 on the list. Sorry you missed it. Call me a stupid bastard at work and I am limited to either warning you I will hang up on you if you continue or having security ask you to leave the premises. You still haven't explained your acceptance of racial abuse on others yet?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 05:30 PM
The modern, American, legal definition isn't the same as someone calling you a cunt. It has to be done with malice as the intent and has to actually cause damage to your reputation. That's why Glennbeckrapedandmurdered.... was protected, which you didn't seem to have a problem with.

You still haven't explained your acceptance of racial abuse on others yet?

I don't accept it. I tolerate it.

HappyOldGuy
4th May 10, 05:32 PM
So you can say anything you want true or not so long as you can convince a court you did not know you were just making it up as you go along. This is better than relying on truth as a yardstick in what way?

It rely's on truth exactly as much as the other way. It just shifts the burden of proof from one party to the other. And it is better because it protects people so they can make accusations that they believe to be true without being able to prove them so in a court of law. That protects everyone from stand up comics to politicians to product liability whistleblowers. And the only price is that people might have to hear mean things said about them. If that bothers you, then harden the fuck up.

UK defamation laws are really fucked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8404803.stm
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090917/0354056223.shtml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/19/no-win-no-fee-lawyers-shackling-newspapers

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 10, 05:34 PM
I think it's very important to force people to have good manners on penalty of horrible prison rape.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:42 PM
It rely's on truth exactly as much as the other way. It just shifts the burden of proof from one party to the other. And it is better because it protects people so they can make accusations that they believe to be true without being able to prove them so in a court of law. That protects everyone from stand up comics to politicians to product liability whistleblowers. And the only price is that people might have to hear mean things said about them. If that bothers you, then harden the fuck up.

UK defamation laws are really fucked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8404803.stm
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090917/0354056223.shtml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/19/no-win-no-fee-lawyers-shackling-newspapers

People having mean things said about them once is not the issue. Having the same crap day in day out is a bit worse than having to harden the fuck up. Like I said earlier I don't believe anyone should have to suffer abuse for doing their job. We already have laws to protect whistleblowers. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Whistleblowingintheworkplace/DG_10026552

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:45 PM
I think it's very important to force people to have good manners on penalty of horrible prison rape.

You don't go to prison for Defamation in the UK, you have to apologise and pay both sides legal bills* if it gets that far. You have to pay compensation if awarded.
Prison rape is also less common here than in the states for some reason.

*Unless you are on legal aid then the evil state pays them.

HappyOldGuy
4th May 10, 05:51 PM
People having mean things said about them once is not the issue. Having the same crap day in day out is a bit worse than having to harden the fuck up. Like I said earlier I don't believe anyone should have to suffer abuse for doing their job. We already have laws to protect whistleblowers. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/Whistleblowingintheworkplace/DG_10026552

I don't think that anyone should either. But I think that giving cops one more way to fuck with people who complain is not in the best interests of liberty.

Or sanity.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 05:55 PM
I don't think that anyone should either. But I think that giving cops one more way to fuck with people who complain is not in the best interests of liberty.

Or sanity.

I have managed to reason and argue with cops on demos and actions many times without questioning their parentage or calling them an item of genitalia, cunt, prick, fanny, cock, bell end etc.
I also come fro the only place in the world I know of where you can be called a good cunt and it's a compliment.

HappyOldGuy
4th May 10, 05:57 PM
If you had let us call your boys cunts back in '76, we wouldn't have had to shoot you and we'd probably still be toasting to the queen.

Ajamil
4th May 10, 06:01 PM
Free speech doesn't apply to private facilities. A property owner can kick you off for looking suspicious, being a dick, or just because he doesn't like your face. It's all good, he owns the damn land.You have a right to free speech on private property, but your physical presence there is not protected under free speech. Their right to remove you for whatever reason - or no reason - is stopped only on provable discrimination grounds. And I think that only applies for private property of commercial businesses - a homeowner could indeed kick you off his property for spicness.

Adouglasmhor
4th May 10, 06:02 PM
If you had let us call your boys cunts back in '76, we wouldn't have had to shoot you and we'd probably still be toasting to the queen.

The colonial population actually had more rights and paid less taxes than people in the homeland at the time leading up to the war of independence. But the franchise was worth more than all those rights IMO.

jvjim
5th May 10, 06:16 AM
Just looked at Con Law Notes, I change my vote, f--- free speech.

Adouglasmhor
5th May 10, 04:34 PM
The modern, American, legal definition isn't the same as someone calling you a cunt. It has to be done with malice as the intent and has to actually cause damage to your reputation. That's why Glennbeckrapedandmurdered.... was protected, which you didn't seem to have a problem with.

I don't accept it. I tolerate it.

I don't live in America. Therefore I don't give a fuck about the modern, American, legal definition. The original post told a story about NSW which is also not in America. I know people sometimes forget the rest of the world exists but come on.