PDA

View Full Version : That was harder than it should be.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 10:35 AM
Yesterday I deliberately ordered and ate a meal consisting of egg - end egg you could see and taste - for the first time in five years. It was a spinach wrap for breakfast.

Eggs still taste the same as I remember. I was never a huge fan of them, but they were fluffy and went well with the tomato, feta, and spinach.

"But, Arjuna! You're a Hindon't (thx, nohero) - you don't eat eggs!"

This has been weighing on me, and I'll try my best to lay out my thought processes. First, the injunction most often cited is here (http://vedabase.net/bg/9/26/en)*. It makes a very nice omission of meat, fish, and relevantly - eggs. However, I haven't "officially offered" my food to Krishna for just about as long as my leaving the temple. Which brings this one (http://vedabase.net/bg/3/13/en) up, and the idea that if certain items I eat are not offered it doesn't much matter what's in them since the very act of not offering makes it "sinful." I guess my thought here is if within the strict regulations of the religious factor - if I'm already doing it wrong, I might as well do it wrong in a healthier way.

On the other side - the ethical part where I actually think about why I'm following silly rules. I would say it's a matter of consciousness - I don't want to kill a being that fears, agonizes, and is terrified before death just so I can have easier access to protein, or even worse to simply enjoy a taste on my tongue. There are different stages to this - if I was by whatever means forced to eat an animal, I would prefer bugs, then fish, then reptiles, and essentially I would prefer to eat things with the least amount of chance to be aware of pain and impending death.

That said - I can't really make a case in my mind where an egg is at all conscious. They could become conscious, but they are stopped well before that happens. Most often store-bought eggs have almost zero chance of becoming fertilized - let alone getting to development stages that might have awareness.

I suppose I could say I wanted to protest the chicken and egg factory farming, but if that was true I'd do more than just not eat chicken and eggs. I'm not one for boycotting or protesting businesses. I'll not hide the fact that I don't like factory farming, and I'll most likely try to buy eggs from the farmers market to ensure home-grown and local small farm eggs (though this will increase the chance of a fertilized egg...). Still, I doubt I'll be buying a whole bunch of eggs now, so I feel this point is moot.

Thus, I have decided to bring eggs back into my diet and be one of those horrible horrible people that goes "Oh I'm vegetarian! I only eat fish and chicken."

I actually found it amusing that it was so hard to order an egg breakfast. I have been thinking on this for a few weeks, and at first when I decided to go, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Self-induced revulsion FTW!! I started with some processed foods that I knew had egg in them. A muffin or two, some cornbread, and I even managed to get through a sandwich with mayo on it. But buying food that was centered around egg. That would have egg taste, and visible egg - it was hard, and it took some staring at the wrap and one or two false starts at eating. But eat it I did.

I'd be worried about going to hell if I wasn't already dooming myself with other practices.

*I'll just leave links since quotes seem to pucker NoB's ring which must make his...activities...a little more difficult.

Adouglasmhor
27th April 10, 12:45 PM
Funny enough I was out last night and Phil and I had an Indian take away, the guy was surprised we ordered vegetable dishes and asked if we were vegitarian, I explained I was a back slider who eats fish, but Phil is vegan. He said he was a vegetarian Sikh but he ate meat every day (his hair was cut but he was wearing the Kara), he said because he was not a "pure Sikh" and ate meat he could not carry the Kirpan. His dad is the president of the biggest Gudwallah in Glasgow and does not eat meat but does like a drink.

I just liked the way he said he was veggie but ate meat, it was a cultural thing to him.

Kiko
27th April 10, 02:02 PM
Eggs are super wonderful. One of my earliest memories of being happy and safe involves soft-boiled eggs, but I'll spare you.

Glad you enjoyed 'em!

Cullion
27th April 10, 03:03 PM
Can't you just declare yourself a Ksatriya or something and enjoy meat and booze to your heart's content ?

That Hare Krishna thing you see white college dropouts dancing around to is hardly the entirety of Hinduism.

KO'd N DOA
27th April 10, 03:05 PM
Egg allergy. The smell alone makes me gag. This thread smells like sulphur.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 03:30 PM
You can declare and do whatever you want. That's not really the point. I am no ksatriya, though. I am sudra through and through, but that's about personal qualities.

Cullion
27th April 10, 03:45 PM
Not really bro, it's about what you were born into for real hindus. This is a made up thing for white people anyway, so you might as well just pick one that lets you eat what you want.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 03:58 PM
If we're going to go with teh r34l arguments, I will completely agree that what I got into is in no way affiliated with "Hinduism." It is ISKCON, or if you prefer it to sound more ancient, Vedic. The books clearly state it has nothing to do with birth, and that people could easily (well not easily, but what life change ever is?) change their status.

Feryk
27th April 10, 04:05 PM
Any religion that does not allow me to attain perfection and rule over others with an iron fist isn't worth worshipping in.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 04:19 PM
Do you want lordship over the demigods and all they control or the realm of Death?

Feryk
27th April 10, 04:24 PM
Lordship over the realm of Death would be nice, but I prefer my girls living, unlike Soul Mechanic. Demigods, meh. Unless they are hot Demigoddesses, then maybe. Dominion over the living sounds good, though.

I think I might be good at Smiting. I'd want to try it.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 04:49 PM
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/planetarium/yamaraj.jpg
Yamaraja was lord of Death, and kind of the Universal Supreme Court. Answered straight to the Big Guy, and had a bunch of yamaduta minions, who were basically the creepy shadow dudes in Ghost. You'd get final say on a person's karma tally, and while most of the time you'd be delegating judgement to the lawbooks and lesser demigods(you really want to preside over every death?), you could always step in and send a particular person to a great heaven or a really well-fitted hell.

Indra was basically Zeus/Thor and had almost the whole Rg Veda (I just learned this! Yay!) dedicated to how much smiting he did. He also is covered with working eyes, after having a curse lifted whereas he had vajayjays all over him instead. He rides a white, four tusked elephant.
http://www.harekrsna.com/philosophy/associates/demons/indra.gif

Harpy
27th April 10, 06:07 PM
I'd be worried about going to hell if I wasn't already dooming myself with other practices.

Wow, running and now eggs? Good work Arjie.

Now, you know I love you dearly, but WTF are you talking about?! Do you really believe this or is this some ISKCON brainwashing? Nothing against them, wonderful organisation but sometimes they propogate some whacky stuff (but then again, pretty normal for any sort of Hindu, I'd know).

SoulMechanic
27th April 10, 07:09 PM
I prefer my girls living, unlike Soul Mechanic.

Whahhh, come again?

Ajamil
27th April 10, 07:42 PM
Now, you know I love you dearly, but WTF are you talking about?! Do you really believe this or is this some ISKCON brainwashing? Nothing against them, wonderful organisation but sometimes they propogate some whacky stuff (but then again, pretty normal for any sort of Hindu, I'd know).What part did you want expanded? Should I assume the going to hell part? That was mostly facetious, but no - I don't think this will be my last life in the mortal coil. I know spiritually this life has been a success, but that doesn't mean I'm quite there yet, so really I have no idea where I'm headed next.

Edit: This isn't really about eggs anymore - CTC?

Harpy
27th April 10, 07:51 PM
Let's keep it about eggs.

When I was vegan a few years ago, I literally used to cry whenever my husband used to ask me to boil an egg for him. I was a bit of an idiot, I couldn't even bake (cos can't crack eggz).

Iscariot
27th April 10, 08:00 PM
I was a bit of an idiot
I see you still need lessons in the English language, you are confusing your tenses again.

Harpy
27th April 10, 08:08 PM
I'd have no trouble cracking your head.

Iscariot
27th April 10, 08:20 PM
I'd have no trouble cracking your head.
You know the rules of interwebs challenges, challenger travels.

EuropIan
27th April 10, 08:26 PM
Lily is addicted to to having the perceived moral high ground.

Harpy
27th April 10, 08:28 PM
Ian (lol Murderforce), is just grumpy.

Where's your humour bone Ian? Seriously...

EuropIan
27th April 10, 08:30 PM
I am being funny.

And yes, my name is funny.

Iscariot
27th April 10, 08:32 PM
Wait, did I just get threatened on the interwebs, called the person on it and nothing happen?

It's 2007 all over again....

Harpy
27th April 10, 08:35 PM
*chanting* Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Izzy - deep breaths. Just testing you.

Iscariot
27th April 10, 08:45 PM
A census taker tried to test me once....

Ajamil
27th April 10, 09:06 PM
I'd have no trouble cracking your head.trtdVEXuQro
I need to change my answer in the other thread...