PDA

View Full Version : Government Libertarians

JohnnyCache
24th April 10, 04:53 PM
How many people on this forum identify as libertarian, constitutionalists, right of republican, RHINO, etc

while working for the government in the armed services or law enforcement?

Just a thing I am wondering.

SFGOON
24th April 10, 05:18 PM
You're wondering about the "Oath Keepers?"

Or as I call them, the "Coup Encouragers?"

I do personally know some such idiots. But, realize that containing people like that has been critical to statecraft for thousands of years.

Mostly, they're just gasbags.

EuropIan
24th April 10, 05:19 PM
Being a hypocrite is essential to maintaining your gasbag status.

Cullion
24th April 10, 05:26 PM
How many people on this forum identify as libertarian, constitutionalists, right of republican, RHINO, etc

while working for the government in the armed services or law enforcement?

Just a thing I am wondering.

Did you get confused between 'libertarian' and 'hardline anarcho-capitalist'?

Because only the latter group think that soldiers and police officers shouldn't be on the public payroll, and there aren't any of them on this forum.

HappyOldGuy
24th April 10, 05:27 PM
We're also relatively lacking on currently active LEO's and serving military compared to BS.

Although I think several of the BSers lurk and laugh at us sometimes.

EuropIan
24th April 10, 05:31 PM
I don't get anarcho-capitalism..

For me, it's an oxymoron.

Keith
24th April 10, 05:38 PM
I'm ex-military and I'd say most of my views of government would probably fall on the libertarian side of things. But I don't associate with the party and I'm not active duty.

JohnnyCache
24th April 10, 05:45 PM
You're wondering about the "Oath Keepers?"

Or as I call them, the "Coup Encouragers?"

I do personally know some such idiots. But, realize that containing people like that has been critical to statecraft for thousands of years.

Mostly, they're just gasbags.

no idea what you mean

jvjim
24th April 10, 05:49 PM

Black Chris is an anarcho-capitalist.

JohnnyCache
24th April 10, 05:49 PM
Did you get confused between 'libertarian' and 'hardline anarcho-capitalist'?

Because only the latter group think that soldiers and police officers shouldn't be on the public payroll, and there aren't any of them on this forum.

Not really. Although I think many of both ARE confused about that line.

It's just very interesting to me that people who like to talk about the role of government, and have very strong opinions about decisions about say, medical care for the general public, choose to solve their employment/benefits issues by working for the government. I mean, the military as a whole in the US is very right-leaning, which is funny because it's a bunch of 20-30 year olds making <50k a year.

To me, it's a very interesting example of HOW people prioritize. Most people have hot issues - very few people REALLY vote or work from a position of personal involvement or motivated self interest, until it's post facto.

I watched a staunchly "republican" friend of mine basically flip like a coin over the last 18 months as he got a terrible taste of the shaft end of the health care system in this country, for example.

Cullion
24th April 10, 06:01 PM

It's where you have actual anarchy, i.e. there's no government going around making people share things, and no spiritual or scientific revolution has occurred which fundamentally transforms human nature or does away with the concept of scarcity.

If you're a young ivy-league economics graduate with very little grasp of human nature and no historical knowledge of actual societies with no government, it all makes so much sense.

EuropIan
24th April 10, 06:16 PM
It's where you have actual anarchy, i.e. there's no government going around making people share things, and no spiritual or scientific revolution has occurred which fundamentally transforms human nature or does away with the concept of scarcity.

If you're a young ivy-league economics graduate with very little grasp of human nature and no historical knowledge of actual societies with no government, it all makes so much sense.
Ok, I can digg it.

Actually I can't but I understand it slightly better.

Black Chris is an anarcho-capitalist.

Black Chris is also an oxymoron onto himself.

WarPhalange
25th April 10, 06:54 PM

It also helps if you don't like to think much. "It'll work itself out, dammit!" isn't a very good economical philosophy.

Arhetton
25th April 10, 08:40 PM
I accepted benefits for 6 months as a student before I started reading and listening to a lot of libertarian material, and it really affected my personal sense of pride and value so I started working again.

I have had a job since I was 15, and have paid for pretty much all of my entertainment, personal belongings, and education beyond high school.

I have earned less than 20K every year that I have been a student. I have lived rent free with my parents for the majority of that time (bar one year when I lived out of state).

I have found that work does impact on study results and understand also why people choose to accept student benefits.

Cullion
26th April 10, 04:43 AM
It also helps if you don't like to think much. "It'll work itself out, dammit!" isn't a very good economical philosophy.

Hardline anarcho-capitalism is basically what happens when people get so over-excited about the benefits to economic growth and efficiency offered by free markets, that they start saying nutty things like 'let everybody just hire their own cops!' without thinking through how quickly society would revert to feudalism.

I'm amazed how educated some of the people are who can't see these problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Friedman

This is why I have 'moderate' in front of Libertarian.