PDA

View Full Version : Man Scheduled To Die by Firing Squad in Utah

OZZ
23rd April 10, 05:13 PM
I knew there was still one US State where the Firing Squad was still on the books as a viable method of execution..
Talk about old-school...

Condemned Utah killer will face firing squad Module body

2 hours, 0 minute ago

By Jennifer Dobner, The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

SALT LAKE CITY - The state of Utah is scheduled to execute a convicted killer by firing squad on June 18, renewing a debate over what critics see as an antiquated, Old West-style of justice.

State court Judge Robin Reese signed the warrant Friday morning for Ronnie Lee Gardner, who killed a man during a failed escape 25 years ago.

Under state law, Gardner, 49, was given the choice of being killed by lethal injection or shot by a five-man team of executioners firing from a set of matched rifles, a rarely used relic that harkens back to the western state's territorial history.

After Reese said Gardner's avenues for appeal are exhausted and that he would sign the warrant, Gardner told the judge: "I would like the firing squad, please."

Of the 35 states with the death penalty on the books, Utah is the only one to use the firing squad as a method of execution since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976.

Two men have died in a hail of bullets since that decision: Gary Gilmore, on Jan. 17, 1977 after famously uttering the last words, "Let's do it" and John Albert Taylor on Jan. 26, 1996.

Oklahoma is the only other state that considers a firing squad an acceptable option, but by law would only use it if lethal injection was deemed unconstitutional. The state has never used the method.

Utah's death row inmates were for decades allowed to choose how they wanted to die. State lawmakers removed that choice in 2004 and made lethal injection the default method, though inmates sentenced before then still have a choice.

The repeal of the firing squad wasn't tied to any discomfort with the method itself. Rather, state lawmakers disliked the heaps of negative media attention that firing squads focused on the state, said Republican state lawmaker Sheryl Allen, who twice carried legislation to change the law.

In 1996, more than 150 media outlets descended on Utah to cover Taylor's execution, painting the firing squad as an Old West style of justice that allows killers to go out in a blaze of glory that embarrasses the state.

"I was just hoping to end that focus," said Allen, adding that she's displeased with the prospect of another firing squad execution. "I fear that the proper attention will not be paid to the victims of the crime and the atrocity of the crime."

Still, lawmakers did not retroactively ban the firing squad out of fear that it would give condemned inmates a new avenue of appeal, she said.

Gardner is one of at least four of 10 men on Utah's death row who have said they want to die by firing squad.

Defence attorneys had asked Reese not to sign the warrant and convert the sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A stay of the execution could still be sought. Gardner could also ask the state's Board of Pardons and Parole to commute his sentence.

Lydia Kalish, Amnesty International's death penalty abolition co-ordinator for Utah said her organization opposes the state's effort to see Gardner executed. But despite Utah's strong religious roots it's the home of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon church most here support the use of the death penalty.

"I think in Utah, when it suits their purposes, they go back to the Old Testament and the 'eye for an eye' kind of thing," Kalish said. "These people may be the worst of the worst, but if the best we can do is repeat the same thing, it's so obviously wrong."

Gardner was convicted of the fatal shooting death of Utah attorney Michael J. Burdell during an escape attempt and shootout at the old Metropolitan Hall of Justice in downtown Salt Lake City on April 2, 1985.

Adouglasmhor
23rd April 10, 05:17 PM
Well if they are good enough shots they can harvest organs or eye parts from him for transplant. Killing is killing and lethal injection is just suffocation by proxy.

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd April 10, 05:51 PM
don't fuck with repressed Mormons

SFGOON
23rd April 10, 06:04 PM
He shot the government man, now the government man gonna shoot him. That's what the elves call "Justice of the Unicorn!"

Kiko
23rd April 10, 06:34 PM
I heard this on the radio today and first thing in my head was... "I bet there'll be a great thread about it!"

Hell, he chose it. Too bad there's not more states like this!

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 06:55 PM
I've heard some bad things about lethal injection. I think I'd rather be executed by hanging. Something about having my eyes pop out appeals to me.

And the raging death boner would be hilarious.

Truculent Sheep
23rd April 10, 06:58 PM
T5Xl0Qry-hA

Phrost
23rd April 10, 07:22 PM
I'd much rather go by firing squad than lethal injection; that's only "humane" for the people watching it. For the condemned, it's horrible.

Harpy
23rd April 10, 10:22 PM
They should secretly terminate him via lethal injection. Have Death Row prisoners choose the method and then do the opposite.

Publicize falsified videos to the public. Win-win.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 10:38 PM
You are an evil woman lily. Also, if one of mine was going to be put down I would gladly foot the bill for the bullet and would expect the same consideration in return.

Side note. I do understand it to be a contradiction in my faith but in this case especially I see it more then fit to revert to old testament law and go with an eye for an eye.

Toby Christensen
23rd April 10, 10:43 PM
Silly Utah justice!

They should wait for prisoners to try to escape so they can shoot them.

In the balls or vadge.

Honestly, can't that saltpan of a desert state do ANYTHING?

Neildo
23rd April 10, 11:24 PM
They should do it like the chinese. Shoot him in the head and send his widow the bill for the bullet.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 11:24 PM
Silly Utah justice!

In the balls or vadge.

They tried that - he killed someone during. Didn't you read?

jkdbuck76
23rd April 10, 11:41 PM
A bullet has to be cheaper than the lethal injection.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 11:57 PM
^^ That was my whole point, and more humane.

Harpy
24th April 10, 12:25 AM
So 20 bullets must be 20 times more humane right?

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 12:31 AM
Yes, and much more then 20 times cheaper. If I am a convicted fuckup, by all means do not spare the rod for the child has long been spoiled and due for expiration.

bob
24th April 10, 12:43 AM
I wonder if they'll use the old firing squad tradition that one gun is secretly loaded with a blank so that each man can console himself that maybe he didn't kill a man.

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 12:46 AM
^^ Yes that is a tradition that has not and I am guessing will not ever pass.

WarPhalange
24th April 10, 01:49 AM
I'd much rather go by firing squad than lethal injection; that's only "humane" for the people watching it. For the condemned, it's horrible.

This was going to be my post pretty much.

Though, if I were to be hanged, I'd try and time it so that I jump right as the hatch is opened so that I gain extra momentum for possible decapitation. :D

WarPhalange
24th April 10, 01:51 AM
I wonder if they'll use the old firing squad tradition that one gun is secretly loaded with a blank so that each man can console himself that maybe he didn't kill a man.

I never understood that. Isn't it obvious that when you shoot and you see absolutely nothing happen? Or is it really just that hard to tell that your bullet hit?

Secondly, I think I'd rather aim for the most lethal spot and console myself by trying to end his life as quickly and painlessly as possible.

bob
24th April 10, 02:03 AM
Given the choice, I'd like to go Running Man style.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 02:10 AM
Correct

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 02:12 AM
I never understood that. Isn't it obvious that when you shoot and you see absolutely nothing happen? Or is it really just that hard to tell that your bullet hit?

Secondly, I think I'd rather aim for the most lethal spot and console myself by trying to end his life as quickly and painlessly as possible.
In those days they were using bolt action rifles and if you fired a blank you would know.
I never understood how anyone swallowed that one.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 02:15 AM
Silly Utah justice!

In the balls or vadge.

What if the prisoner is a cripple and can't get over the wall with his wheelchair?

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 02:51 AM
In those days they were using bolt action rifles and if you fired a blank you would know.
I never understood how anyone swallowed that one.
Says the man who talks out his ass.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 03:25 AM
Says the man who talks out his ass.

Fuck you retard. If you have ever fired a manual rifle you will know the difference., (your BB gun does not count) Or do the laws of physics not aptly to weapons on your planet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil#Perception_of_recoil

Note bullet weight is a major factor you uneducated wanker. What is the bullet weight of a blank? (hint the projectile as such is non existent). 303. ball weighs almost half an ounce say 180gr (12g) x velocity (2.573 fps)(782mps) gives you about 2,600 foot pounds force or 3,500 j

If you did not fire exactly on command you would also know you did not hear your bullet going down range. (If you did fire exactly on command you would not know because everyone else's round would sound the same).

Plus who the fuck is going to fire a rifle some cunt else has loaded.?

Try thinking before you post. You couold have asked why and you would not have looked such a tool.

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 03:39 AM
One of us is full of shit .

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 03:47 AM
One of us is full of shit .

I'll give you that.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 03:48 AM
Plus I am in a better mood now I have had some tea and toast.
Please remember I am a Weedgie and all insults are purely for punctuation purposes and not meant.

Neildo
24th April 10, 05:12 AM
why do they even need to use riflemen? i've seen videos on youtube of 15 year olds that can program autonomous airsoft sentry guns. how hard can it be? just load up a minigun and program a laptop. job done.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:14 AM
Neildo,

Wanna get tickets and get all fucked up and watch it?

Neildo
24th April 10, 05:20 AM
hold on, they sell tickets to that? how much?

Ajamil
24th April 10, 09:13 AM
You just have to lose a loved one to the condemned.

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 03:02 PM
Fuck you retard.

Try thinking before you post. You couold have asked why and you would not have looked such a tool.
Being a tool is kinda my thing. ; )

HappyOldGuy
24th April 10, 04:19 PM
Correct

How so? The poisons are pretty fucked up, but how horrible can anything be that happens while you are tanked to the gills on sodium pentothol?

Prepared to be edumacated.

OZZ
24th April 10, 04:26 PM
To me, the shittiest thing about getting executed (besides getting executed) is that you have to wear fucking diapers !! At least for lethal injection and electrocution you do ..probably hanging too..that just sucks.
I would choose firing squad as long as you don't have to wear diapers.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 04:34 PM
How so? The poisons are pretty fucked up, but how horrible can anything be that happens while you are tanked to the gills on sodium pentothol?

Prepared to be edumacated.

People have had SP as pre-op then undergone surgery without the anaesthetic taking hold properly and felt everything but been unable to move, Michael Portillo did an excellent documentary on the death penalty as a pro deather who wanted the most humane method and found people who had had that experience.

Nitrogen Narcosis/suffocation was found to be the best way to die.

HappyOldGuy
24th April 10, 04:45 PM
Okay, I'm edumacated.

Also kinda terrified to go under the knife again.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:15 PM
Are you afraid you'll actually wake up again; to the family?

HappyOldGuy
24th April 10, 05:17 PM
Are you afraid you'll actually wake up again; to the family?

It's like the sound of a door closing. Even if you weren't trying to go through right this moment.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:26 PM
Want me to pretend to be an intern and watch the surgery and then "accidentally" step on some important tube giving you life-sustaining stuff?

HappyOldGuy
24th April 10, 05:29 PM
You're the sort of buddy who would save one bullet.

I appreciate that about you. I'll let you know.

Ajamil
24th April 10, 05:48 PM
Why not have them slowly overdose on truth serum? That way the family can really learn the type of person he/she was, and they'll just slowly drop away into a never waking sleep?

Toby Christensen
25th April 10, 12:07 AM
Keeping people locked away alone , same basic meal 3x a day, religious books and similar if you're good, guards with rights to shoot to kill and nothing to look forward to but menial labour=

Cheap labour.

Throw in fortnightly visits with a hypnotist and their broken wills won't stand.

Adouglasmhor
25th April 10, 01:50 PM
Keeping people locked away alone , same basic meal 3x a day, religious books and similar if you're good, guards with rights to shoot to kill and nothing to look forward to but menial labour=

Cheap labour.

Throw in fortnightly visits with a hypnotist and their broken wills won't stand.

We kinda tried that (minus the hypnotist) it was called transportation to the colonies. We ended up with you.