PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists: do you suit up?

syberia
22nd April 10, 10:20 PM
I know there's already a thread on bikes, but hear me out.

I nearly died this morning. Things could have turned out very differently and I wouldn’t have had to sit through my HBA test. But I survived, and I think I even may have passed, so, so far, good morning all around.

I ride a Kawasaki ZZR. 250cc’s, 185kgs, twin exhaust, blah blah blah. I’m not a big fan of the blue, or the fairings and I’d like it to be bigger. But I love that piece of machinery like a goddamn brother.
It saves me a ridiculous amount of money on fuel. A frustrating amount of time saved finding a park. I ride it almost every single day. (My boyfriend gets very jealous.)
I’m a cautious rider, because that’s how I was taught. Be defensive on the road, was the message. Don’t expect anyone to see you, don’t think they respect you. You are always the smaller vehicle. Sure, sometimes I speed, hit corners to quick or should pay more attention. But I’m human, so I take basic precautions. I always have full gear on. Helmet. Gloves. Kevlar jeans. Jacket. Boots. My tire pressures and all else are checked regularly, I have a fuel tank full of petrol, my brakes work and the front lever was replaced last week.

Thank the Earth for all that, too, because when the asshole pulled out in front of me on the highway, if any of the things above had failed me I have no idea how things would have gone.
I’m doing 100kms an hour, the speed limit, there is a car behind me, some few hundred metres away, and a few oncoming cars around the corner, also going 100km/h.
A side road meets the highway, a large clear area with no sight problems. Apart from drivers, evidently.
I see him, and wonder; has he seen me? There is no way he’s going to… he does. He swaggers onto the road in his Ford shitbox and sputters along in first gear. He looks all of twenty (probably more) metres away.
Shit. I think to myself.
Instinctively, I set up and squeeze. My right hand holding the brake like its dear and right toe pressing on the back brake urgently. I hit the clutch to and kick down a few gears.
I honestly don’t know if I would have slowed down fast enough, stopped in time, to have avoided the back of his car. Maybe I would’ve. I don’t know. I felt like he was getting too close too quick so I let the front brake go and swerved around him, on his left and away from traffic. I shoot past the bastard like he’s standing still.

But it took a long time, for me, for this to happen. My head slowed down and abruptly everything else was going very, very, fast.
I was going too quickly, and it became glaringly apparent that there was exceedingly little between me and the road.
My Kevlar reinforced jeans suddenly seemed too light, too low slung and too loose. My jacket armour was suddenly very thin and frail. I couldn’t even remember why I’d put my helmet on.
It wasn’t the car I was worried about. If I hit the road, I thought, I’m going to die.

I didn’t. Thankfully. He pulled out and sped up, I probably wouldn’t have actually hit him, I was going the speed limit, slow enough to react, I had gear on to protect myself from the worst of things if I had come off.
But I think about what could have been. If he had pulled out slower, I had been speeding, if my brakes had failed, if my tires had been worn. If I hadn’t of been wearing my gear. It then becomes painfully clear that it was a near thing. It then becomes clear to me why my dad presses me with upkeep and checking tires and breaks and everything.

It then becomes clear to me that riding is a practice on the line of danger. In 08, according to the TAC (http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=12&tierID=1&navID=2B63301D7F0000010080CB01C9E47EBA&navLink=null&pageID=162), 1044 riders were seriously injured and 43 motorcyclists died on Victorian roads, 14% of the states road death. 44% of those deaths occurred on roads signed 100km/h or more. But only 24% of them involved another car. 3% (http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=13&tierID=1&navID=B4347615&navLink=null&pageID=206) of this states traffic is motorcycles and, looking around, it looks like a solid half of those ride without taking any precautions at all.

Someone once told me that there are two kinds of motorcyclists. Ones who’ve had accidents and expect another, and ones who haven’t and should expect one.
So why is it, then, that last week a man died (http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/3681-motorcycle-fatality-in-mildura.html) locally when he wasn’t wearing a helmet? Why, then, do I see motorcyclists riding without any gear? Too hot, too expensive and too time consuming. Are the excuses I hear from a few.
Similar excuses, I imagine, from those who have gravel rash, broken bones and totalled bikes.

So, those with motorbikes. Do you suit up?

Toby Christensen
22nd April 10, 10:39 PM
Oh Syberia!

It's so good you're SAFE.

(This is why I refuse lifts on motorbikes)

syberia
22nd April 10, 10:55 PM
Oh Syberia!

It's so good you're SAFE.

(This is why I refuse lifts on motorbikes)

Thanks... I get back on the bike later.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 12:25 AM
"My boyfriend gets very jealous."

Thought you were a cock hating lesbo with negroidal tendencies? This is the thread I want to read about.

syberia
23rd April 10, 12:37 AM
"My boyfriend gets very jealous."

Thought you were a cock hating lesbo with negroidal tendencies? This is the thread I want to read about.

Your concern is noted.

I don't not hate cocks, I assure you. Its just that this one came in a pakage deal with a good set of abs, a cute ass and a charming smile. I dont know how long it'll last, before i break it, but it's good value.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 12:44 AM
Remember now sybs, cocks are allot like mattresses, you rip the tag off and your expected to purchase and take it home. Either way you will foot the bill.

Toby Christensen
23rd April 10, 01:03 AM
SoulMechanic, is the woman in your avatar real? Cos she's sexy enough to make my hemispheres solder together.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 01:37 AM
SoulMechanic, is the woman in your avatar real? Cos she's sexy enough to make my hemispheres solder together.
I don't care what they say about the Tobz, he is tops in my book. She is real and for 24 bucks will give you this thing called the "Compton Waffle". Even if you are diabetic, you gonna dig her syrup.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 02:52 AM
When someone pulls out in front of you , go to the centerline and wheelie past them.

Frank White
23rd April 10, 02:58 AM
Here in California, helmets are mandatory. As a result, many folks wear fake helmets. Myself, I wear t-shirt in the summer if I'm skippin around town, leather in the winter or long rides. The "bikies" (that's what you call bikers, right?) wear full face helmets, but more for concealing identity than protection.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 03:12 AM
I don't ride anymore but when I did I never wore much of anything and rode like an insaniac.

I must have ten lives because I used at least nine of them up already.

Three of my buddies weren't so lucky.

syberia
23rd April 10, 03:26 AM
Here in California, helmets are mandatory. As a result, many folks wear fake helmets. Myself, I wear t-shirt in the summer if I'm skippin around town, leather in the winter or long rides. The "bikies" (that's what you call bikers, right?) wear full face helmets, but more for concealing identity than protection.

Helmets are law here to.

There are also laws about giving way. Apparently not everyone finds them to thier tastes.

Some of us call them bikies, i guess. Not me, personally.

I've always got my jacket on, at the very least. Its a light one, but it does get stuffy.
Even in 47 degree heat, i didn't consider taking it off.

syberia
23rd April 10, 03:28 AM
I don't ride anymore but when I did I never wore much of anything and rode like an insaniac.

I must have ten lives because I used at least nine of them up already.

Three of my buddies weren't so lucky.

Sorry for the loss of your mates. If you still rode, would you wear helmet/ leathers?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 03:28 AM
Do you wear one of those cool leather jackets or one of those lame ass Power Ranger jackets?

nihilist
23rd April 10, 03:31 AM
Sorry for the loss of your mates. If you still rode, would you wear helmet/ leathers?Absofrickinloutely.

Too much stupid on the road these days.

Always assume they are out to kill you.

syberia
23rd April 10, 04:38 AM
Do you wear one of those cool leather jackets or one of those lame ass Power Ranger jackets?

Jacket:
http://www.ridersdiscount.com/channel-images/78/78153/320x320-FULL.jpg

Leathers are a little over my budget right now. I'd like to get some, though.

And, just to clarify, did you just call my jacket lame?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 04:40 AM
Zordon called, he said Billy Cranston needs his jacket back.

syberia
23rd April 10, 04:53 AM
Absofrickinloutely.

Too much stupid on the road these days.

Always assume they are out to kill you.

I agree. There was a guy who hit the corner too quick out the front of my grandparents, he came off, slid across the road and then gravel and hit a sign.
The only damage was some bruising and a broken leg. The gear saved his skin.

Zordon called, he said Billy Cranston needs his jacket back.

I'm sorry.

Why dont you post your motorcycle gear?

Arhetton
23rd April 10, 05:01 AM
my best friend rides, is a maniac and has had multiple accidents (thankfully none have broken bones and hasn't come off the bike too fast).

He stopped wearing riding gear when the gear caused him to almost have an accident that would have killed him.

The boots and pants were too stiff to allow him to shift his weight quickly and turn around a truck which did something retarded.

Thats what he tells me anyway.

Sometimes I worry about him though.

Kiko
23rd April 10, 05:33 AM
Sybs, glad you're alright!
Only time I've ever been on a bike was to hitch a ride home from a party many many years ago. The rider made me put on a helmet and I hung on for dear life even though I didn't know him that well and it wasn't really a long ride.

Hell, it's law here for cyclists even kids to wear some kind of helmets. There is indeed too much stupid on the road everywhere.

Again, glad you're ok.

syberia
23rd April 10, 05:41 AM
my best friend rides, is a maniac and has had multiple accidents (thankfully none have broken bones and hasn't come off the bike too fast).

He stopped wearing riding gear when the gear caused him to almost have an accident that would have killed him.

The boots and pants were too stiff to allow him to shift his weight quickly and turn around a truck which did something retarded.

So he should buy the correct gear for him. The range is unbelievable, you can even just buy the armour. I dont wear motorcycle boots, i wear my GP's, but they're leather and pretty indestructable.

I'd be curious to know what gear he was wearing, and how he meant to shift his weight.

Sometimes I worry about him though.

If he's riding without gear, you probably should. I dont want to offend him, but it is, in my opinion, pretty silly.

Gravel rash is worse than broken bones. It takes months of skin grafts, unbelievable pain and physical therapy. If you get the chance, encourage him to do some research and reconsider.

Harpy
23rd April 10, 05:44 AM
Sybs....holy hell, thank your lucky stars (and for following all the safety requirements)

I have seen a motorcyclist die on Sydney roads some years back, one oft uncles has had multiple accidents and finally gave his bike up at the age of 50. I still see moron riders (and even cyclists!) on bikes who are playing with fire. Be safe and assume nothing about other fucktard drivers.

tom.f
23rd April 10, 08:51 AM
I have been getting a little lax on gearing up. If it's too warm I will put my leather jacket in the saddle bag. I always wear boots and gloves and a helmet though. The couple of close calls I've had were handled by the "ABS" brakes. (they can really stop the bike pretty quick and keep the bike in a straight line) It's those "sudden crisis" moments that make you aware of the value of proper equipment though.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 10:40 AM
I'm really glad you had the training to avoid a bad accident sybs, and the gear to get through it as best as possible if it were to happen.

Never been on a bike. It's not even the danger thing there - I just hate wind.

Ming Loyalist
23rd April 10, 11:02 AM
Gravel rash is worse than broken bones. It takes months of skin grafts, unbelievable pain and physical therapy. If you get the chance, encourage him to do some research and reconsider.

there are a lot of idiots riding around NYC on overpowered bikes, who wear shorts, t-shirts, sneakers and helmets only cause they have to by law. they race on the west side highway, and generally ride like assholes. they often carry their equally idiotic girlfriends on the backs, also totally without safety gear.

it warms my heart to know that they will face months of skin grafts and unbelievable pain, as that is exactly what they deserve. what would be even better would be if they were to pick up a nasty infection while in the hospital leading to amputation of a limb or 3, or even death. i only hope that *when* they crash, they manage to only hurt themselves, as unlikely as that is.

oh, and i own a bike i no longer ride (1969 triumph) but when i did it was heavy jeans, boots, leather jacket (yes MJS, the brando style one) and a helmet. if i lived somewhere even remotely safe to ride around, i would ride that beautiful bike, but for now, it's in a garage increasing in value instead of being destroyed on the streets of NYC.

tom.f
23rd April 10, 11:14 AM
there are a lot of idiots riding around NYC on overpowered bikes, who wear shorts, t-shirts, sneakers and helmets only cause they have to by law. they race on the west side highway, and generally ride like assholes. they often carry their equally idiotic girlfriends on the backs, also totally without safety gear.

it warms my heart to know that they will face months of skin grafts and unbelievable pain, as that is exactly what they deserve. what would be even better would be if they were to pick up a nasty infection while in the hospital leading to amputation of a limb or 3, or even death. i only hope that *when* they crash, they manage to only hurt themselves, as unlikely as that is.

oh, and i own a bike i no longer ride (1969 triumph) but when i did it was heavy jeans, boots, leather jacket (yes MJS, the brando style one) and a helmet. if i lived somewhere even remotely safe to ride around, i would ride that beautiful bike, but for now, it's in a garage increasing in value instead of being destroyed on the streets of NYC.

A "69" Triumph is a great old bike. Does it still run?

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 11:40 AM
A friend had a bad spill on a bike before I met him. He had a nasty scar on his neck where the tire slowed its spinning on his skin, and another biggie on his arm from burning where it lay on the exhaust pipe as he lay unconscious.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry.

Why dont you post your motorcycle gear? (http://76.163.239.94/uploaded_images/Navy-Flightsuited-Biker-723287.jpg)

TheMightyMcClaw
23rd April 10, 02:07 PM
Full chainmail riding suit; should I make one?

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 02:18 PM
I'd almost want to see you crash for the amount of sparks flying when you slide a quarter mile down the highway.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 03:22 PM
Absolutely! But before you go out and sell the things you must uhh, make sure they are waterproof and able to float.

Ming Loyalist
23rd April 10, 06:19 PM
A "69" Triumph is a great old bike. Does it still run?

i only wish it was a bigger model (it's the 250 "trophy" scrambler, with street tires.)

as to if it runs, the last time i tried, it was functional. after around 10 years in a garage i assume it might need a tune-up.

however, it's a triumph so that means that it only starts under ideal conditions anyway: warm (but not hot) outside, not raining or too humid, and the stars have to be in the right alignment.

considering the weather in england, i'm surprised that the company ever sold any bikes at all.

syberia
23rd April 10, 07:53 PM
That could be interesting...

I'm really glad you had the training to avoid a bad accident sybs, and the gear to get through it as best as possible if it were to happen.

Thanks, me to.

Never been on a bike. It's not even the danger thing there - I just hate wind.

I wear a closed helmet, wind isn't really the issue. We have a locust problem right now and its more when they splat into your visor...

Yeah. Ew.

Toby Christensen
23rd April 10, 08:02 PM
Does the motorcycle rider's training involve the "safety" position? (arms crossed and braced near head, legs tucked up, rolled into a ball).

Because if I was to ever get on one of those things, I would trust it would be a life preserver as I leapt clear. Or used the rider as a cushion as per grappling.

Motorbikes: The ultralight planes of terra firma.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 08:36 PM
I've been in an ultralight - those are fun. Nothing like two lawn chairs strapped together with wings and a motor.

syberia
23rd April 10, 08:45 PM
Does the motorcycle rider's training involve the "safety" position? (arms crossed and braced near head, legs tucked up, rolled into a ball).

No. You're taught not to come off.

The australian TAC recently launched a few ads dealing with gear. 'whats between you and the operating room?'

Frank White
23rd April 10, 10:39 PM
Riding a motorycle is dangerous with or without proper gear. Its an unnecessary risk and wearing a helmet is only slightly less foolish. Ask yourselves, is it worth the risk?

I say yes.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 10:54 PM
Sure. instead of road rash all you would have to deal with is decorative third-degree burns.

syberia
23rd April 10, 10:57 PM
Riding a motorycle is dangerous with or without proper gear. Its an unnecessary risk and wearing a helmet is only slightly less foolish. Ask yourselves, is it worth the risk?

I say yes.

Yes, it is worth the risk?

As in, no, you dont think wearing gear is beneficial?

nihilist
23rd April 10, 10:59 PM
Turn up your irony detector.

syberia
23rd April 10, 11:03 PM
Turn up your irony detector.

Oh, god. This essay is killing me.

Do you think the university would mind if i turned in 1500 words worth of 'fuck you?'

Steve
23rd April 10, 11:13 PM
Glad you are okay, syberia. My mum wouldn't let me get a motorcycle when I wanted one. I promptly proved she should have by totaling two 4 wheeled vehicles (not my fault though I thought it was a pretty good point at the time).

She still didn't change her mind and then I lost interest after camping with a decent SUV.

syberia
23rd April 10, 11:17 PM
My mum wouldn't let me

Awww, you poor thing. ;)

Thanks, mate.

Frank White
23rd April 10, 11:19 PM
Yes, it is worth the risk?

As in, no, you dont think wearing gear is beneficial?

wearing gear is beneficial of course, but riding is still dangerous. You can wear all the protection and be safe as possible, but you still have the idiots to contend with.

Around here you have the old timers who wear leather steel toe boots and fake helmets making fun of the new generation who wear full-face helmets and chuck taylors.

syberia
23rd April 10, 11:30 PM
wearing gear is beneficial of course, but riding is still dangerous. You can wear all the protection and be safe as possible, but you still have the idiots to contend with.

I agree with you there. Bloody idiots. Dont get me wrong, i've had my idiotic moments, and so far i've been lucky. But i dont go looking for trouble. In my opinion thats what people who are idiots on the roads are doing.

Around here you have the old timers who wear leather steel toe boots and fake helmets making fun of the new generation who wear full-face helmets and chuck taylors.

By 'fake hemlets' do you mean open faced? Or is this some kind of law evasion i'm just not aware of?

Frank White
23rd April 10, 11:41 PM
By 'fake hemlets' do you mean open faced? Or is this some kind of law evasion i'm just not aware of?

when helmets became mandatory in california, they made rules as to what made for a legal helmet. Then companies came out with fake versions which were much cheaper, more comfortable, and less effective. Some folks argue that the legal helmets increased the risk of neck injury and lessened peripheral vision. These are usually the folks who would prefer not to wear helmets. Pretty much everyone is wearing legal helmets now because of recent police harrasment.

syberia
23rd April 10, 11:54 PM
when helmets became mandatory in california, they made rules as to what made for a legal helmet. Then companies came out with fake versions which were much cheaper, more comfortable, and less effective. Some folks argue that the legal helmets increased the risk of neck injury and lessened peripheral vision. These are usually the folks who would prefer not to wear helmets. Pretty much everyone is wearing legal helmets now because of recent police harrasment.

I see. I find my full face helmet pretty comfortable, its a cheaper one, but it passes the aust standard. Haven't needed it yet, lets hope i never do.
My sister rides with an $800 Arai, good helmet.

In aus, as far as i'm aware, all helmets have to pass the standard. I think everything does. Even my jeans. But I could be wrong.

CannibalCrowley
24th April 10, 08:42 AM
Pretty much everyone is wearing legal helmets now because of recent police harrasment.

Meh, it's not like the legal beanies will do much more good than the unapproved ones.

Frank White
24th April 10, 12:22 PM
Meh, it's not like the legal beanies will do much more good than the unapproved ones.

true, but the full faces are better IMO. The legal brain buckets are to top-heavy and dorky looking anyway. It's still kind of wierd seeing bikers wearing full faces. The open face 70s style ones were cool, but since Harley started carrying ones with metal flake paint jobs, I guess that means those are overdone.

nihilist
24th April 10, 12:32 PM
Why not giant Nerfsuits?

That way you could just bounce off things until traffic dies down and then they could just roll you back onto your bike.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th April 10, 02:52 PM
Glad to hear you're alright.

I've had a few of those "buttpucker" moments, when you just sit on the bike for a few minutes until your derriere decides to unclench from the seat.

When I was riding I wore jeans,

a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket,

Alpinestar boots,

and gauntlet-style gloves.

My helmet is an Arai Quantum/e, it is the most gaudy race-rep. that was available in 1997.

But, I needed good equipment, since I rode this for 8 years.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/QUAD005.jpg

Frank White
24th April 10, 03:02 PM
finally some pics. Ming and Syberia, wheres yours? Tell me you got pictures of the triumph, and want to sell it cheap to support your habit...

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 04:26 PM
If I am just going into the city centre I wear my leather jacket and jeans (sometimes with Kevlar underneath), going on motorway it's full armour unless it's a club ride out in which case full leathers and my cut off. Funny enough when there are 20 odd of you riding together cars can see you and don't feel like fucking with you.

I have scars down one leg where I came of on wet cobbles wearing jeans when I was 17.

syberia
24th April 10, 08:17 PM
finally some pics. Ming and Syberia, wheres yours? Tell me you got pictures of the triumph, and want to sell it cheap to support your habit...

FickleFingerOfFate
24th April 10, 09:13 PM
They're so cute when they're that size....

syberia
24th April 10, 09:46 PM
They're so cute when they're that size....

I couldn't get the 600 because I was on my L's at the time and there is a size:weight ratio that has to be met for it to the restricted lisence legal.

I'm hoping to buy a 600 or 650 for my next one, now that i'm a real person.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th April 10, 10:20 PM
I couldn't get the 600 because I was on my L's at the time and there is a size:weight ratio that has to be met for it to the restricted lisence legal.

I'm hoping to buy a 600 or 650 for my next one, now that i'm a real person.

I started with the 600, but wrecked it a year later and bought the 1100.

The big Ninja never failed to put a grin on my face.

There was a vicious rumor at work that I never started it without crossing 100mph before I shut it off again.

I don't think I exceeded 100mph every time....

syberia
24th April 10, 11:21 PM
I started with the 600, but wrecked it a year later and bought the 1100.

The big Ninja never failed to put a grin on my face.

There was a vicious rumor at work that I never started it without crossing 100mph before I shut it off again.

I don't think I exceeded 100mph every time....

Nice, i'd have to push my 250 hard to get moving that quick for too long, but i've floored it a number of times on the open highways out to visit my sister. It's hard not to when the road is clear...

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Kein Haar
25th April 10, 01:14 AM
My favorite youtube videos are motorcycle crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvuZ1eL2zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLd1RJgOQs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eootaHR0Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTw5k31Ok4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2htSFO21MRE&feature=related

Leather for protection! lulz!

syberia
25th April 10, 03:02 AM
My favorite youtube videos are motorcycle crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvuZ1eL2zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxLd1RJgOQs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0eootaHR0Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTw5k31Ok4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2htSFO21MRE&feature=related

Leather for protection! lulz!
Really? Not so much for me. I can hardly watch the TAC ads for motorcycle saftey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYG089Hejmw

The last two seconds worries me.

FickleFingerOfFate
25th April 10, 10:39 AM
Nice, i'd have to push my 250 hard to get moving that quick for too long, but i've floored it a number of times on the open highways out to visit my sister. It's hard not to when the road is clear...

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I had mine at 150 a couple of times on empty highway. It was a little scary, but also very cool. Looking back it wasn't all that smart.

It was wound up pretty high in 5th gear, and things were happening too quickly.

I suppose it was a good thing I didn't go for 6th gear...

Adouglasmhor
25th April 10, 12:19 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/bigdougie/100_0317.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th April 10, 11:20 PM
It goes perfectly with your overdesigned New Balances.

Frank White
27th April 10, 12:56 AM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/155/crimson006.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/crimson006.jpg/)

Madgrenade
27th April 10, 12:20 PM
I ride a lightweight CG125 and I always suit up, even though it's a small bike with a 60mph top speed. I do this for several reasons.

1) If I knew where the next crash was coming from, it wouldn't happen. So I always suit up.

2) At 60mph your denims will survive tarmac abraision for about 0.6 seconds. At 30 they will do a bit better, maybe 1.5 secs, if they don't come apart at the seams first. So I always suit up.

3) I paid good money for my bike armour. If I crashed and am not wearing it, I might aswell have bet the money on a 500-1 horse. So I always suit up.

4) I have crashed in armour and was able to escape injury by executing a nifty little shoulder roll. Didn't feel a thing. Had I landed on my shoulder that hard without armour, I doubt I would have been able to ride off (or anywhere at all for quite some time). So I always suit up.

5) It can easily get too cold on a bike, but very rarely gets way too hot. (If it does you're going too slow.) Bike armour, especially textiles, is nice and snuggly. So I always suit up.

6) Same with the rain. A proper waterproof bike suit will keep you dry in the most tulmultous downpours. Your boots will give up long before a single drop works its way inside. So I always suit up.

Those are the main reasons. If you ride a bike, wear armour for Gods sake. Textiles too hot?- Get leathers.

Also Full Face vs Half lid is a non starter. Wear a full face lid you muppets. If you face plant coming off your bike in a half face lid you are gonna wish you'd been killed.

Happy biking guys. Tis the season to be jolly, falalala la la la AAAARRRgggggHHHH!

Srsly. Shiny side up.

Ajamil
27th April 10, 12:48 PM
When you say armour, do you mean the full-on GIJoe-looking stuff?
http://www.besportier.com/archives/motorcycle-body-armour-review-dainese-wave-v-1-2-3-neck-jacket.jpg

Or do you mean the kevlars/leathers?
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/129/308/469/0yIl.jpg

Adouglasmhor
27th April 10, 04:34 PM
Kevlar or leather.

syberia
27th April 10, 11:40 PM
My dad has a set of armour for when he goes dirt biking.

My riding jeans are reinforced with kevlar from my shin to my butt, makes them warm to wear, but they are ridiculously comfortable. Unless i feel a random need to do squats, they dont stretch that well.

My jacket has inset armour up the back, in the front, in the shoulders and elbows, much like the set pic above, surprisingly light and all replacable if i want to.

I have never worn leathers, but am looking foward to getting them someday. *sigh*

Oh and: full faced all the way.

If only for the reason that half lids look ridiculous.

Madgrenade
29th April 10, 07:48 AM
When you say armour, do you mean the full-on GIJoe-looking stuff?
http://www.besportier.com/archives/motorcycle-body-armour-review-dainese-wave-v-1-2-3-neck-jacket.jpg

Or do you mean the kevlars/leathers?
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/129/308/469/0yIl.jpg

Hey, If you can afford it and feel comfortable wearing it then go for it. A full back protector is never a bad idea, though all jackets should come with a back pad, which is better than nothing.

Note. When buying a new jacket check that the pad in the back is an actual back pad and not just a couple of pieces of polystyrene foam, as is often the case. While this material my be adequate for protecting your porcelain when you are moving house, it certainly isn't adequate for protecting your spine in a high speed crash vs rock. Knox sell good pads that should fit in the pockets in most bike jackets/ trousers. If your gear doesn't have pockets for this stuff and has no inbuilt pads you should probably be asking yourself why.

Shoulders
Elbows
Back
Hips
Knees

All these areas should be protected by at least some measure of hard pad.

The seams on your gear should be double, preferably triple stitched.

The leather biker jacket you bought at the Gap and the leather jackets you buy at your motorcycle dealership are not the same thing. Fashion jackets are stretched leather, soft and supple, and will not survive a crash intact.

Kangaroo leather (not stretched) is expensive. However it is lighter and tougher than cow leather. Always buy the best protection you can afford. (Don't get ripped off obvsly.)

Edit: Roo leather might be cheaper in Aus than elsewhere, since thats where roos come from. Alternativly, try scragging one off the side of the road somewhere, skin it, tan it, stitch it, wear it. Custom baby!

Adouglasmhor
29th April 10, 03:55 PM
Horse hide leather is what pricey bike jackets are made of here.

Adouglasmhor
29th April 10, 03:58 PM
It goes perfectly with your overdesigned New Balances.

You thought that was a GSXR didn't you. Schoolboy error.

honesty
30th April 10, 02:48 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/bigdougie/100_0317.jpg

Nice bike. Is it as unstable as they reported in the press or is that all gumph?

Adouglasmhor
30th April 10, 11:13 AM
It's better with an after market back shockie and the steering damper removed. Also i have the body mass to hold the bastard down.