PDA

View Full Version : Lily isn't the exception. She's the rule. (obesity)

partyboy
22nd April 10, 09:51 PM
"We'll soon be fat as Americans," health experts warn as obesity overtakes smoking as the biggest killer of Aussies.

By Natasha Wallace

Published: April 22, 2010 06:34 ET

SYDNEY, Australia — Hundreds of thousands of Australians will die unnecessarily over the next few years simply for being too fat.
Obesity has become the single biggest threat to public health in this country of 22 million.

Recent research by the Western Australia public health department shows that obesity has overtaken tobacco as the leading preventable cause of disease in that state and health experts have warned the data will be reflected across the country once it is carried out by other public health departments.

Fat Facts
66 percent of adult Australian males are overweight or obese.
55 percent of adult females are overweight or obese.
One in four children are overweight or obese.
Children’s energy outputs have dropped by 650 calories in the past 50 years (equivalent to about three hours of walking).
40 percent of children do not play organized sports.
It is estimated that if current trends continue, 80 percent of all Australian adults will be overweight or obese by 2020.
A minimum 140 Australians die prematurely every day from obesity-related disease.
Source: Obesity Prevention Australia.

It is a hard fact to swallow given that health experts warned the government of a looming ‘‘obesity epidemic’’ more than a decade ago but little action was taken beyond convening a few talk fests on the issue.

Obesity as a cause of illness and premature death has doubled in just six years, accounting for 8.7 percent of all disease in the state in 2006, according to the WA research published this month. Smoking accounts for 6.5 percent.

The data paints a dire picture for the population and the public purse over the next 20 years.

At least 140 Australians die prematurely every day from an obesity-related disease, amounting to more than 50,000 people a year, according to the non-profit group Obesity Prevention Australia.

It took nearly half a century to discourage people killing themselves with smoking — the latest Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development figures show the percentage of adults who smoke daily has halved from a rate of 35 percent in 1983 to 17 percent in 2007. But while Australia is a world leader in winning the war on tobacco, it does not have the luxury of time to arrest the dramatic escalation of obesity rates.

According to the latest nationwide data from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW), the prevalence of overweight and obesity among Australians aged 18 and over rose from 56 percent to 61 percent. The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes in Australia, based on self-reported information, almost tripled between 1990 and 2008.

Health experts say if government and individuals do not make hard decisions, such as introducing a so-called fat tax on high-fat and high-sugar foods and banning junk food advertising to children, Australians may see their life expectancy decrease for the first time.

“On the basis of present trends we can predict that by the time they reach the age of 20 our kids will have a shorter life expectancy than earlier generations simply because of obesity … and that’s an appalling legacy to leave our kids,” said professor Mike Daube, the president of the Public Health Association of Australia.
Daube, also the deputy chairman of the government’s National Preventative Health Taskforce, said “just like the U.S., obesity has crept up on us and we’ve been incredibly complacent.”

About 60 percent of Australian adults and about a quarter of children are overweight or obese.

“Americans are the world champions [for obesity] but we’re up there on the podium,” Daube said. “We’re getting fat and we’ll soon be as fat as Americans.”
Experts are now asking what more could have been done and who or what is responsible.

Access Economics estimates the total financial cost to Australia of obesity rose from $3.7 billion in 2005 to $8.2 billion in 2008.
This figure balloons to $58.2 billion when indirect costs such as lost productivity and quality of life are included.

The tripling of the rate of diabetes in the past 20 years is mostly attributed to excessive weight gain, dubbed "diabesity." Type 2 diabetes can lead to renal failure and blindness.

“It’s not just deaths, it’s condemning people to a lifetime of ill health," said Tim Gill, principal researcher at the Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition and Exercise at Sydney University. "Diabetes used to be a condition in 60-year-olds and 70-year-olds and now we’re seeing it in 30-year-olds because they’re seriously overweight.”

Gill says a whole-of-government approach is needed to fix the problem — not just health, but transport, roads and agriculture.

‘‘Everything is working against you in the same way that it was so hard to give up smoking. Everyone smoked, they were relatively cheap, they were readily available, in your face in displays at shops and pubs and they were marketed heavily, like chocolate is today, as a reward,’’ Gill said.

“We’re becoming more and more sedentary. Our work environment is almost totally sedentary now, our leisure time pursuits are mostly sedentary. Food, particularly high-fat high-sugar foods are much, much cheaper in relative terms now than they’ve ever been and we have a higher income.”

We have also become “immune” to being overweight, he said.
A remedy also lies in a dramatic cultural shift by individuals.

“People really don’t want to actually change very much because it’s about doing hard things. It’s about eating less and it’s about doing more," Daube said.

"Modern society is built for the motor car and it’s built for big portions.”

He said a government facing “hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths’’ needed to stand up to large manufacturing and advertising groups.

“If you thought the tobacco industry was powerful, look out for the junk food industry,” he said.

“In terms of government over the past two decades you’d probably give them one out of 10 for action.”

“If we were talking about preventing plane crashes or various kinds of disasters, we’d want governments to be 10 out of 10 and this is a disaster area. If we don’t act now we’re going to catch up with the States and that would be a catastrophe.”

Numerous taskforces have recommended better urban planning to make walking and cycling easier as well as bans on junk food ads during sporting matches, to no avail.

“Kids are being driven to school and any reductions on junk food promotion are voluntary codes,” Daube said.

A recent review by the health association of junk food advertising during television sport found the logo was visible 75 percent of the time, he said. “The producers and manufacturers are behaving outrageously.”

He praised the director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Thomas Frieden, for last year calling for a soda tax and would like to see the same in Australia.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/asia/100415/obesity-fat-australia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics? I thought Miranda Kerr was the norm down there?

Madgrenade
22nd April 10, 10:17 PM
Lily, is that you in the pic with the rifle? If it is, just so y'know, you're not past the point of no return. There are varying degrees of obesity. Don't let these skinny punks get you down.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 10:48 PM
^no, that is not her.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 11:13 PM
^no, that is not her.
Stop harshing my buzz dudes. First you guys tell me she's not really a hermaphrodite. Now you're trying to tell me she's not really 300 pounds. If you tell me she's not a redhead asses will be kicked.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 11:17 PM
If she is all those things in your heart, I will not stand in your way.

SoulMechanic
22nd April 10, 11:28 PM
I was all game for harpooning lily until I found out the horrific truth. She has an outy bellybutton! A bro's gotta draw the line somewhere.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 11:34 PM
Stop it, HoG is getting all hot and bothered.

Steve
22nd April 10, 11:47 PM
I was all game for harpooning lily until I found out the horrific truth. She has an outy bellybutton! A bro's gotta draw the line somewhere.

Aw, c'mon. Getting poked while poking ain't that bad, just ask ICY.

danno
23rd April 10, 01:14 AM
i'm sure that becoming the two fattest nations will only make our alliance stronger, especially when fighting wars against skinny countries.

but seriously, we eat a lot of american fast food now. our diets are almost identical, apart from that crazy corn syrup stuff in your fizzy drink.

EDIT - and it's an interesting marketing strategy - advertising junk food on sport. they're associating fatty, sugary food with our favourite athletes, effectively brute forcing away the connotation that only unhealthy people eat it.

here, kids: emulate your sporting role models by eating this shit food!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/kfccricket

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 01:25 AM
Welcome to the 4th America danno.

Steve
23rd April 10, 01:29 AM
i'm sure that becoming the two fattest nations will only make our alliance stronger, especially when fighting wars against skinny countries.

What's really funny is that the quality of fast food in Oz vs America is ridiculous. Your establishments produce food that tastes so much better, and frankly, are better staffed than ours as well.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 01:35 AM
America still wins the obesity wars due to their advanced obesity technology:

vLwEZRf3www

danno
23rd April 10, 01:38 AM
What's really funny is that the quality of fast food in Oz vs America is ridiculous. Your establishments produce food that tastes so much better, and frankly, are better staffed than ours as well.

seriously? how the hell does that happen?

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 01:44 AM
seriously? how the hell does that happen?
Shhhhh, just shut your mind up and run after the carrot.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 01:47 AM
A funny thing about American fast food chains outside of America is that they usually carry a slightly higher social status when compared with their original American counterparts.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 02:37 AM
I still wouldn't be caught dead eating a Royale-w-cheese.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 02:38 AM
Well that's because it's crap food.

nihilist
23rd April 10, 02:45 AM
Whenever I pass Icky D's I recall the scene from SUPERSIZE ME.

KO'd N DOA
23rd April 10, 09:59 AM
We just had some Outbacks open up - is the menu the same over there?

[don't I feel stupid...just looked it up, it is an American Franchise... and the only thing from that area, is the lamb from NZ ]

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 10:04 AM
There was an article in a local paper about some restaurant that was creating some Frankenstein monstrosity of a burger. It was three patties, four cheeses, bacon, the works with condiments, all stuffed between two grilled cheese sandwiches. I read that twice before tasting bile in my mouth.

So when do we seriously start looking at our screens as a culprit?

Doritosaurus Chex
23rd April 10, 10:27 AM
When I quickly glanced at the title, I thought this thread would be about how much Lily rules.

jkdbuck76
23rd April 10, 11:46 AM
We don't need an article to tell us that Lily rulez...

partyboy
23rd April 10, 01:45 PM
There was an article in a local paper about some restaurant that was creating some Frankenstein monstrosity of a burger. It was three patties, four cheeses, bacon, the works with condiments, all stuffed between two grilled cheese sandwiches. I read that twice before tasting bile in my mouth.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Robot Jesus
23rd April 10, 02:15 PM

actually that sounds quite good, it all comes down to portion size. on the unlikely chance that this fits in my hands I would totally eat it, but it will probably be the size of my head. still could be worse, they could used foie gras in it.
dammit, now I want some foie gras. I cant afford that shit.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 02:29 PM
ANqe3DTDg8M

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 03:38 PM
This guys is the jalapeno BACONATOR! Id ram my dick into one but it is so delicious and I dont want to get a pepper seed stuck in my peehole.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/Vodstok/baconator.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 03:48 PM
Hey.
Wendy's sucks ass.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 03:55 PM
Hey.
Wendy's sucks ass.
Ass, the only subject you can speak on behalf with authority.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 03:57 PM
KFC still wins by having a sandwich made out of chicken.

Made out of chicken

jkdbuck76
23rd April 10, 03:58 PM
Somebody g**gle the "bacon mug".

That is what killed Elvis.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 03:59 PM
Ass, the only subject you can speak on behalf with authority.

The way you mangle your sentences is kind of cute :3

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 04:08 PM
The way you mangle your sentences is kind of cute :3
Do not flirt with me boy. When I take over I am still going to deport you for being a faggot and a mexican.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 04:14 PM
woah woah woah mexican? do you want to die?

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 04:14 PM
He'll cut chu mang!

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 04:17 PM
<==== Black Belt In mexican Judo.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 04:18 PM
<====== doesn't give a fuck nigger

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 04:22 PM
LoL, I stand here shivering in my boots. I would bitch slap you into a fit of tears, then use said tears to lube up my shaft and facialize you.

Oh and I do believe the proper term is Afro-American you miniature brown savage. Please oh please do not attack me with the leaf blower!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 04:23 PM
Wouldn't blowing your load on a dude make you gay?

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 04:27 PM
That's dICY!

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 04:28 PM
No because A) I do not consider you a man and B) It would definitely not be consensual.(Prison rules)

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 04:31 PM
He needs you to feel this;

He can't stand to burn too long;

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd April 10, 04:32 PM
A) I do not consider you a man and

A boy. A guy. A dude. I still have a pee-pee.

B) It would definitely not be consensual.(Prison rules)

I wouldn't be so sure ;)

Cullion
23rd April 10, 04:34 PM
I am calling a mod conclave to have Soulmechanic's name changed to WhiteChocolate.

SoulMechanic
23rd April 10, 04:38 PM
I can dig on that. But Id really rather be re-named BlackerThenHalfrican.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 04:44 PM
"Housecracka"

Adouglasmhor
23rd April 10, 05:27 PM

but seriously, we eat a lot of american fast food now. our diets are almost identical, apart from that crazy corn syrup stuff in your fizzy drink.

EDIT - and it's an interesting marketing strategy - advertising junk food on sport. they're associating fatty, sugary food with our favourite athletes, effectively brute forcing away the connotation that only unhealthy people eat it.

here, kids: emulate your sporting role models by eating this shit food!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/kfccricket

I believe Scotland is fatter than Australia.

Cullion
23rd April 10, 05:35 PM
Scotland almost certainly has shorter life expectancies.

Adouglasmhor
23rd April 10, 05:52 PM
http://www.nursingtimes.net/Journals/1/Files/2010/2/22/Preventing%20Overweight%20and%20Obesity%20in%20Sco tland.pdf

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd April 10, 05:56 PM
http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/style_emoticons/default/censored.gifhttp://forums.guildofgreeters.com/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif

danno
24th April 10, 03:50 AM
We just had some Outbacks open up - is the menu the same over there?

[don't I feel stupid...just looked it up, it is an American Franchise... and the only thing from that area, is the lamb from NZ ]

i went to one once. expensive and nothing particularly australian about the food that i recall, apart from the fact we eat a lot of meat. maybe the basic meat and veggie thing.

here is a list of autralian foods they should add to their menu:

damper

lamingtons

pavlova

ANZAC biscuits

roo meat

billy tea

meat pies

vegemite

tomato sauce (ketchup)

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 03:57 AM
i went to one once. expensive and nothing particularly australian about the food that i recall, apart from the fact we eat a lot of meat. maybe the basic meat and veggie thing.

here is a list of autralian foods they should add to their menu:

damper

lamingtons

pavlova

ANZAC biscuits

roo meat

billy tea

meat pies

vegemite

tomato sauce (ketchup)

Walkabout is the UK equivalent, they used to sell Roo burgers and Croc steaks. They did not Sell Coopers ale which pissed me off.

danno
24th April 10, 04:00 AM
it'd be awesome if they could serve these, i haven't eaten this yet:

http://i1.treknature.com/photos/14718/witchetty_grub.jpg

danno
24th April 10, 04:00 AM
Walkabout is the UK equivalent, they used to sell Roo burgers and Croc steaks. They did not Sell Coopers ale which pissed me off.

can you get bundaberg rum over there?

it's my girlfriends home town.

Adouglasmhor
24th April 10, 04:18 AM

Yeah. It'd cost but you can get it.

Harpy
24th April 10, 05:42 AM
danno - the Pavlova is from NZ

How do they come up with these 'fattest nation' lists? It's stupid and meaningless.

Cullion
24th April 10, 07:25 AM

Yes, it's in the supermarkets where I live. For some reason you haven't started sending us your best beers yet, just the bland stuff like 4X and Fosters.

danno
24th April 10, 07:34 AM
danno - the Pavlova is from NZ

it probably was, but there has always been debate over it's origin and many australians consider it theirs.

also, ANZACS, plus aussies always claim anything good from NZ as their own. especially music.

danno
24th April 10, 07:36 AM
Yes, it's in the supermarkets where I live. For some reason you haven't started sending us your best beers yet, just the bland stuff like 4X and Fosters.

you know, the best beer i've tasted was bavarian. paulener weissbier (i think).

other than that it was stones ginger beer before they changed the recipe.

but i'm not much of a beer connoisseur.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:19 PM
<====== doesn't give a fuck nigger

Hedgehogey? I need your help here!

EuropIan
24th April 10, 05:21 PM
He's saying he won't give you a "fuck nigger" whatever the hell that is.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:23 PM
Whatever it is, I'm getting really anxious about that word.

SoulMechanic
24th April 10, 05:23 PM
fuck nigger is a popular Japanese T-shirt brand. MJS probably was just telling us about his new threads.

Kein Haar
24th April 10, 05:25 PM
I don't buy it, and I'm starting to tremble.

EuropIan
24th April 10, 05:29 PM
You should, you're the only one without a "fuck nigger".

And under our breath, we are taunting and deriding you for not having one.

bob
24th April 10, 05:34 PM
And we often give you our shittiest wine too.

Most people I've suggested this to have thanked me: (uk version) http://www.coopers.uk.net/products

Ajamil
24th April 10, 05:46 PM
I've seen fuck niggers in the trash once the gang bangers are done with them. Not the most appealing brand, but if I was desperate I'd slip one on.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th April 10, 02:33 AM
Hedgehogey? I need your help here!

Look, it's going in whether you want it to or not. You can relax and make this easy or you can pucker that asshole up and force me to demolish it.

Adouglasmhor
25th April 10, 11:52 AM
And we often give you our shittiest wine too.

Most people I've suggested this to have thanked me: (uk version) http://www.coopers.uk.net/products

I have had the sparkling and the pale you are correct to recommend them.

Kein Haar
25th April 10, 02:05 PM
Look, it's going in whether you want it to or not. You can relax and make this easy or you can pucker that asshole up and force me to demolish it.

You haven't seen me in goatse.cx?

AAAhmed46
26th April 10, 12:26 AM
Someone give me a picture of Lily, i feel the need to masturbate.

AAAhmed46
26th April 10, 12:27 AM
Seriously though, how exactly does she look like? I posted a picture way back when when sociocide was first spawned from hell, if anyone is curious as to how i look.

AAAhmed46
26th April 10, 12:30 AM
errr now i feel kind of bad for posting that.

Harpy
26th April 10, 12:54 AM
Aahmed, 'Lily' is a broad brush that encompasses all 'fat stupid vapid #%!*s who annoy you and who makes going gay a real option for men'.

I don't feel personally insulted as this is not exactly one of those elite dating sites where one has to be hot to sign up.

Adouglasmhor
26th April 10, 01:07 AM
Someone give me a picture of Lily, i feel the need to masturbate.

I used to wake up in the morning
I used to feel so bad
I got so sick of having sleepless nights
I went and told my dad

He said, "Son now here's some little something"
And stuck them on my wall
And now my nights ain't quite so lonely
In fact I, I don't feel bad at all

Pictures of Lily made my life so wonderful
Pictures of Lily helped me sleep at night
Pitcures of Lily solved my childhood problems
Pictures of Lily helped me feel alright

Pictures of Lily
Lily, oh Lily
Lily, oh Lily
Pictures of Lily

And then one day things weren't quite so fine
I fell in love with Lily
I asked my dad where Lily I could find
He said, "Son, now don't be silly"

"She's been dead since 1929"
Oh, how I cried that night
If only I'd been born in Lily's time
It would have been alright

Pictures of Lily made my life so wonderful
Pictures of Lily helped me sleep at night

For me and Lily are together in my dreams
And I ask you, "Hey mister, have you ever seen"
"Pictures of Lily?"

AAAhmed46
26th April 10, 01:37 AM
Long live sociocide.

EuropIan
26th April 10, 01:55 AM
sr1aDyHmWhk

-You must spread some reputation around before giving it to adouglasmhor again.

HappyOldGuy
26th April 10, 10:57 AM
Lily is a sort of a rorshach blot for masturbation. A blank canvas on which we can pour our...