PDA

View Full Version : Police Use of Force and Their Creative Reports

BadUglyMagic
22nd April 10, 11:17 AM
What happens when there is a failure to communicate, , , , er respect their authooritay:

Man Hospitalized After Deputy Uses Taser On Him

Posted: 10:49 pm EDT April 21, 2010Updated: 10:56 am EDT April 22, 2010

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. -- A Kannapolis man is in critical condition after his family said he fell from a tree stand.

According to an incident report, deputies shocked Dale Cook with a Taser.

Cook was taken to Carolinas Medical Center for treatment and is in fair condition. The report says Cabarrus County deputies went to a home on Simmons Street Monday to serve Cook with a warrant in response to a domestic call.

Neighbors said Cook climbed into a tree stand and sat down while two deputies waited on the ground. Multiple neighbors told Eyewitness News they saw one of the deputies shoot Cook with a Taser gun from the ground.

They said Cook showed signs of pain, stood up and then fell.

"If you're posing no threat to an officer and you're that far up in the air, why would you think that's your only choice of getting him down?" Debbie Bare, a neighbor who witnessed the incident, said.

The police report confirms a Taser was used, but also says Cook implied he had a knife. It describes Cook's fall as a suicide attempt, and says the case is closed.

Witnesses said they did not see Cook threaten the officers.

Calls to the sheriff were not immediately returned.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 11:29 AM
They shoulda had the wife go get him. It was essentially a citizen's arrest anyway.

All this hand-holding is ridiculous.

Police should only be there to "spot" a person filing a criminal charge against another, and to provide moral support.

That way they won't end up hurting people who are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 11:57 AM
Tell us how it would've gone down if you'd been their Keinhaar. Would there have been a stern but patient talking to, a Kimura? Would you have snorted derisively when he 'implied' the knife, perhaps looking over the top of your sunglasses ?

Make it like an episode of Hill Street Blues for us, constable.

DerAuslander108
22nd April 10, 11:57 AM
Ed Norris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Norris): How many NYPD officers does it take to throw a man down the stairs?

DerAuslander: I dunno. Two?

Ed: None. The suspect lost his balance & fell.

WarPhalange
22nd April 10, 12:44 PM
It is downright scary to see what cops think tazers should be used for. It's for situation where a guy is going apeshit, but there's no reason to kill him. Not when some guy doesn't want to get out of a car or come down off of a tree.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 02:08 PM
there's no reason to kill him.

He's not in fair condition?

These less-lethal things are actually pretty handy to head-off a descent into ape-shit going.

Like this enormous field negro CO we recently tased. Us waiting for him to go ape-shit first would have gotten us beaten like rented mules.

Commodore Pipes
22nd April 10, 02:10 PM
I thought it said critical condition, but I haven't been keeping up with it. His condition has been upgraded since the article was published?

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 02:11 PM
"Cook was taken to Carolinas Medical Center for treatment and is in fair condition."

It's more eye-catching to say critical in the beginning.

Commodore Pipes
22nd April 10, 02:22 PM
Ah. Thank you. I need to be a better reader.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 02:28 PM
We all have things to work on.

My wang, for example, terrifies peasant women.

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 02:29 PM
Like this enormous field negro CO we recently tased. Us waiting for him to go ape-shit first would have gotten us beaten like rented mules.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 02:31 PM
Bunny ears, freedom fighter. Bunny ears.

http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Pixland_JI/p_1936791.jpg

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 02:58 PM
Like this enormous field negro CO we recently tased.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 03:03 PM
See, I got in "trouble" for this before, comparing some african american brawl to chimps. It was the most apt short-hand description available. A big dust cloud of noise, chaos, etc. Apt. Not my problem.

The terms are used for affect. I don't have to use invidividual adjectives, we immediately conjure a vibrant image in our head of someone big, dark-skinned, muscular, coarse, simple etc. Hopefully we could even share some lulz considering what he did to his equally black wife on whose behalf we were acting.

And it's addtionally funny since I'm "the man", and it's all unprofessional and stuff.

Fucking christ, your posts have always been so grim and tense. Always. Lighten up.

Nobody gives a damn when I lampoon hill billies. Never.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 03:08 PM
It's okay Kein. We know you are a little tense right now. And we know what you need to unwind. If you need to use our forum to hook up with cute, flexible, bi, twinks we don't begrudge it.

Your codewords are safe with us. We don't want you hanging out in public restrooms risking run ins with your coworkers in vice.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 03:13 PM
Someone finally gets it. ^

Spade: The Real Snake
22nd April 10, 03:14 PM
Your codewords are safe with us. We don't want you hanging out in public restrooms risking run ins with your coworkers in vice.
Yes.
You can save those encounters for post workouts in the Department's gym.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 03:22 PM
Wait a second...is HOG frankly pimping out Hedgehogey to me?

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 03:30 PM
And this is the FIRST I'M HEARING ABOUT IT???

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 03:31 PM
We're all men here. We understand needs, even if they aren't our particular flavor.

WarPhalange
22nd April 10, 03:41 PM
These less-lethal things are actually pretty handy to head-off a descent into ape-shit going.

I see. So the cops just tazed him because they didn't want to risk him climbing down, getting a knife, climbing back up, and then threatening them with the knife? They just decided to head that off, right?

22nd April 10, 03:49 PM
I see. So the cops just tazed him because they didn't want to risk him climbing down.....
you fucking racist.
quit making King Kong references you fucking racististic piece of racistical shit racisty racist.

RACISM BAN PLZ

kracker
22nd April 10, 04:06 PM
Fuck I came up with better excuses for doing stupid shit when I was like 4. They don't just hire lying sociopaths, they hire incredibly dimwitted lying sociopaths.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 04:10 PM
Hush you, this is hedgies bear hunt.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:10 PM
See, I got in "trouble" for this before, comparing some african american brawl to chimps. It was the most apt short-hand description available. A big dust cloud of noise, chaos, etc. Apt. Not my problem.

The terms are used for affect. I don't have to use invidividual adjectives, we immediately conjure a vibrant image in our head of someone big, dark-skinned, muscular, coarse, simple etc. Hopefully we could even share some lulz considering what he did to his equally black wife on whose behalf we were acting.

And it's addtionally funny since I'm "the man", and it's all unprofessional and stuff.

Fucking christ, your posts have always been so grim and tense. Always. Lighten up.

Nobody gives a damn when I lampoon hill billies. Never.

If you even think about apologising to a Hedge again, imma gonna impregnate your wife and make you raise 'it'.

The culture war is about claiming the dialectic and rewriting the rules, not cravenly wondering how to navigate around the neuroses of faggots.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 05:17 PM
If you even think about apologising to a Hedge again, imma gonna impregnate your wife and make you raise 'it'.

The culture war is about claiming the dialectic and rewriting the rules, not cravenly wondering how to navigate around the neuroses of faggots.

You too flufferbunny. This is their special moment.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:20 PM
I am in Kein Haar's corner, whether he likes it or not.

Madgrenade
22nd April 10, 05:23 PM
I really don't get it. Whats so badass about modern people that wasn't the same ten years ago. Kein Haar you seem to be a force veteran. Are people really that much more badly behaved that they need a good shocking to get them out of a tree? Or are todays Police just that much lazier? Why get up and change the channel when you can just use the remote control? Fucking gadgets.

22nd April 10, 05:25 PM
I am in Kein Haar's corner, whether he likes it or not.
I don't think you are the dealbreaker.
You are just the cream on the crumpet.

Knave
22nd April 10, 05:27 PM
Greetings.

I see. So the cops just tazed him because they didn't want to risk him climbing down, getting a knife, climbing back up, and then threatening them with the knife? They just decided to head that off, right?

Deputies had a warrant for his arrest, correct?

Instead of being arrested, he climbs a tree.

Deputies aren't going to say "aw fuck it, he's in a tree now so we can't arrest him."

They're going to say "You're under arrest. Come down willingly or we will use force to get you down."

He did not come down willingly.

The question at this point should be what is the ideal type or level of force to be used in this unusual situation. Would you prefer they gas him out? Call out the fire department and hose him out? Cut the tree down? Set the tree on fire? I honestly want to know what you think the best way of going about it is, other than "try to climb the tree and get kicked in the teeth repeatedly on the up." Officer safety is always more important than suspect safety.

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 05:28 PM
Field Negro

Notice i'm not saying anything else here. Besides that. And that. Etc.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 05:33 PM
Etc.

Coy is the right game, but you've gotta give him a little guidance. He's new to this and a little shy and confused. Top from the bottom. You know you can.

22nd April 10, 05:34 PM
FIELD N
the logical next step

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 05:35 PM
I don't think KeinHaar is comfortable in any sexual situation in which he's not a bug chaser

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 05:43 PM
The terms are used for affect. I don't have to use invidividual adjectives, we immediately conjure a vibrant image in our head of someone big, dark-skinned, muscular, coarse, simple etc.

That is indeed a very succinct description of how racist stereotypes work.

22nd April 10, 05:43 PM
Notice i'm not saying anything else here. Besides that. And that. Etc.

I don't think KeinHaar is comfortable in any sexual situation in which he's not a bug chaser

wait...but I thought you......

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:45 PM
Shhh... Hedge hasn't finished explaining racism yet.

Hedgehogey
22nd April 10, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I kindof succumbed to temptation there. I know he likes it when his partners stay silent too, so double oops on that.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:51 PM
How do you know ?

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 05:55 PM
Anything but!

I want to hear ALL about revolutionary tourism during our gay time together.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:56 PM
Did you just accuse Hedge of being a tourist?

Hush your mouth. He knows what it is to suffer.

22nd April 10, 06:03 PM
FIELD http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 06:05 PM

That:

-You think someone in fair condition is dead
-Shooting people in the legs is a fair alternative to deadly force
-Suicidal people are always simply benign depression cases (Stop projecting. Your blood is a goddamn pharm party anyway).

I'll have to defer back to Hedgehogey for a more reasonable discussion here. At least he's distracted by a socially conscious point of contention, which I can begin to understand.

Who knew I'd say that.

Cullion,

I said something pretty darn offensive. No way around that. Let him work this out. PM me if you want to know why this process is important for both of us.

kracker
22nd April 10, 06:09 PM
Greetings.

Deputies had a warrant for his arrest, correct?

Instead of being arrested, he climbs a tree.

Deputies aren't going to say "aw fuck it, he's in a tree now so we can't arrest him."

They're going to say "You're under arrest. Come down willingly or we will use force to get you down."

He did not come down willingly.

The question at this point should be what is the ideal type or level of force to be used in this unusual situation. Would you prefer they gas him out? Call out the fire department and hose him out? Cut the tree down? Set the tree on fire? I honestly want to know what you think the best way of going about it is, other than "try to climb the tree and get kicked in the teeth repeatedly on the up." Officer safety is always more important than suspect safety.

Did he deserve to die for his crimes, yes or no? My answer is no because I am a Western patriot who believes in liberty. If yours is yes, please move to North Korea, they'd like you over there.

Kein Haar
22nd April 10, 06:11 PM
Who is dead?

22nd April 10, 06:16 PM
http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif

syberia
22nd April 10, 06:18 PM
Who is dead?

You mean, in general?

Because thats a pretty long list.

Sucks that he fell out of a tree, and i'm sure being tazed ins't all that fun. Use of force for cops is a lovley grey area. But, how the hell else would you get a guy down from a tree?
A lasso?
Oh, that would have been sweet.

The bit about the knife seems random. But whatever.

DerAuslander108
22nd April 10, 06:24 PM
Did he deserve to die for his crimes, yes or no? My answer is no because I am a Western patriot who believes in liberty. If yours is yes, please move to North Korea, they'd like you over there.

Sorry, it's your turn to go fuck yourself.

WarPhalange
22nd April 10, 07:00 PM
That:

-You think someone in fair condition is dead

I do?

-Shooting people in the legs is a fair alternative to deadly force

No. I realize that now. There's like, veins and shit in your legs that will ruin your shit if they are busted.

-Suicidal people are always simply benign depression cases

It's a huge leap in logic (even for you) to go from "Suicidal people are not always benign" to "let's bust in his hows, guns drawn, and tear that fucker a new one for thinking about offing himself."

Or whatever the fuck your point is. I don't even know when you're trolling or not anymore. You're like a less homo NOB.

(Stop projecting. Your blood is a goddamn pharm party anyway).

It glows in the dark!

Commodore Pipes
22nd April 10, 11:10 PM
I want to kiss all you guys on the mouth.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 11:12 PM
This is the gayest, and sexiest, "police brutality, or no?"-thread ever.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 11:20 PM
Also..I donÝt think Kein Haahr is tazer happy.

He rocks it old school, with scary ass animals trained to go after your balls

SFGOON
22nd April 10, 11:54 PM
Poops, what if I told you that confronting a suicidal person is one of the very most dangerous, pants-shitting kinds of calls you commonly get?

Remember how you felt when you were on vyvanse? Overstimulated, anxious, maybe irritable? Multiply it by about 100. That's what they're like. Not some Kurt-Kobain-esque slug who can't get out of bed.

Anyways, next time you're in town how about we re-create this scenario? I'll obtain a taser, a baton, some chemical mace and a pistol. After some training on how to use them properly, I'll climb a cottonwood tree and you come get me down.

Every minute over five that I'm in that tree after you've told me to come down, you owe me five dollars. Every minute under five, I owe you $100.

What can I say - I've been balls deep in chemistry and biotech these last four months, so much so that the idea of climbing a tree so that some doofy Pole can instantly zap me out of it sounds fun.

EuropIan
22nd April 10, 11:57 PM
Just so we're clear.

Explanation =/ Justification

bob
23rd April 10, 06:58 AM
Why can't you guys just handle it like Riggs and climb up next to the guy, handcuff him and jump off together. Fucking pussies.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 09:15 AM
The man's lucky he didn't "fall" onto some bullets. Seriously - he climbed a tree to avoid dealing with cops? Would you want to the cops to sit there and ask "pretty please come down?" Would you want them to try and climb the high hide - that would put them at a real risk for stabbing if the guy had a knife. Should they have tried to dislodge him from the hide? Tasing seems like an ok response here. I just hope they warned the guy first. "Sir, come down or we will be forced to tase you."

SFGOON
23rd April 10, 01:22 PM
Just so we're clear.

Explanation =/ Justification

It depends on who's doing the explaining. What cops do makes some sense to me, and a lot of sense to Kein, (who has managed to last more than 60 days on patrol, unlike me.)

Most of the time, the courts employ what's called a "reasonable person" standard. That meaning, would the guy in the 1985 Pontiac Firebird with flames painted on the hood and plastic wheel covers say that a particular use of force was reasonable. This is the standard applied for most "self defense" scenarios.

The courts also have special considerations to follow, i.e. "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an upturned knife."

When it comes to use of force by LEOs, however, the Firebird guy doesn't get any say. What it applied instead is the "Reasonable Police Officer Standard." Or, would a consensus of law enforcement officials, given all the facts of the encounter, find a use of force justified?

Now, had dickhead not said "I got a knife!" I wouldn't have said the level of force was justified. But - he did. He escalated the encounter from fleeing arrest to deadly.

So, that puts the cop in a corner. He's just received credible information from a resisting suspect that he intends to use deadly force. If he doesn't do something to end the encounter quickly, something VERY BAD could happen.

Allowing the suspect to escape at this point is not an option. Someone with that degree of audacity cannot be allowed to wander around in public.

I would not want to climb a tree and wrestle a guy with a knife. Oh no, oh hell no.

For that reason, the baton is out, too. You have to engage this ass from a distance. But how?

Pistol? Maybe. If he produces a knife he'll find himself at gunpoint. If he agresses towards me - even a little - it's lights out. But he's just stated he has a knife, soo...

OC? Show me a freak who climbs a tree and tell cops he's got a knife and I'll show you a freak who could fight through a face full of mace. That's out.

That leaves the taser. It immobilizes, it works from a distance. The risk of an injurious fall will have to be accepted, as it's the only workable option. Remember, this has become a deadly force scenario.

The suspect created those conditions by resisting arrest, scaling a tree then escalating the encounter to a deadly force level. Given the totality of the circumstances, the option used had the highest probability of a safe outcome for everyone - the suspect, the officers, and the people in the area.

As Arjuna noted, the suspect is lucky to be alive at all. That officer probably could have shot him without even getting fired.

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 01:44 PM
What about a man-catcher?

FickleFingerOfFate
23rd April 10, 03:48 PM
I support the 'burning him out of the tree' option.
As long as no white robes are involved, it would be a socio-politically correct solution.

[/Oldman34]

kracker
23rd April 10, 04:02 PM
The man's lucky he didn't "fall" onto some bullets. Seriously - he climbed a tree to avoid dealing with cops? Would you want to the cops to sit there and ask "pretty please come down?" Would you want them to try and climb the high hide - that would put them at a real risk for stabbing if the guy had a knife. Should they have tried to dislodge him from the hide? Tasing seems like an ok response here. I just hope they warned the guy first. "Sir, come down or we will be forced to tase you."

How about "Fuck it, he's in a tree let's go grab a doughnut. It's not like he murdered someone or raped any kids. If he kills himself it's his own fault." That's what cops would be like in my vision of utopia.

DerAuslander108
23rd April 10, 04:14 PM
How about "Fuck it, he's in a tree let's go grab a doughnut. It's not like he murdered someone or raped any kids. If he kills himself it's his own fault." That's what cops would be like in my vision of utopia.

I should stab you for stupidity.

Cullion
23rd April 10, 04:16 PM
Maybe they should try infrasound as the basis of a knockout device. Probably have less trouble with accidental deaths from people with heart trouble etc..

EuropIan
23rd April 10, 04:18 PM
Like a warbler grenade?

Cullion
23rd April 10, 04:39 PM
Never heard of those. I know a guy got convicted in the UK back in the late 90s for rigging horse races using an infrasound device he built and concealed in a set of binoculars. Horses ahead of the one he bet on were just collapsing whilst in the lead.

Commodore Pipes
23rd April 10, 04:43 PM
Cullion, just out of curiosity, when do you sleep?

Cullion
23rd April 10, 04:51 PM
~1am to 8am usually.

FickleFingerOfFate
23rd April 10, 05:15 PM

This is because you are a complete idiot.

23rd April 10, 05:25 PM
How about "Fuck it, he's in a tree let's go grab a doughnut." That's what cops would be like in my vision of utopia.

You just like it when cops punch your doughnut

SFGOON
23rd April 10, 06:11 PM
Here's another article, with a picture of the scene. The Sherriff is denying a taser was employed at all.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/23227449/detail.html

How about "Fuck it, he's in a tree let's go grab a doughnut." That's what cops would be like in my vision of utopia.

No, in you version of utopia you'd be gagging on Dale Cook's cock as he slowly singed the skin off his wife with a soldering iron, knowing you were next.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 06:59 PM
Looking at that, how far up was this tree stand? I was imaging no more than 10-13 feet, but if we're talking 15-25, would the taser nodules even reach that far? And if it's true the man was cutting himself and threatening self-harm, then that's a big nod in favor of the idea of him jumping.

SFGOON
23rd April 10, 10:50 PM
There's no way a taser could reach a dude on that platform. I could do the maths, but I don't know anything about triangles. On a taser, one probe goes out straight, one goes out at an inferior angle that I forget (something like -17 degrees?)

And then Pythagorean theorem, squares of things, Kracker pressing his floppy asshole up against the prison bars on visiting day, maximum range of the taser is 20' and "I CAN'T GO TO JAIL!" as famous last words.

No way in hell he was zapped out. Oh yeah, and kracker rubs one out to his boa constrictor eating kittens while he picks at the scabs on his scrotum.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 11:30 PM
Now internet mode has set in, and I'm picturing the guy trying suicide by cop.

"I've got a knife, man! You're gonna have to shoot me!"
"I'm not gonna shoot ya, I'm gonna tase ya."
"Wai-wha? Y-you can't do that! I'm in a tree!"
*aims*
"I can't go to jail, man!!"

Doritosaurus Chex
24th April 10, 12:42 AM
One day, kracker will be inspired by Andrew Ryan and create a utopia and invite people who share his ideals to live a harmonious life under the sea. Instead of his ideal society falling apart and cause a civil war because of unrealistic expectations, everyone drowns to death because he happened to be the smartest guy to follow that idea.

bob
24th April 10, 02:12 AM
When it comes to use of force by LEOs, however, the Firebird guy doesn't get any say. What it applied instead is the "Reasonable Police Officer Standard." Or, would a consensus of law enforcement officials, given all the facts of the encounter, find a use of force justified?

That's interesting. I know that they've moved away from this definition in professional negligence cases in Australia. Not sure about LEO though.

BadUglyMagic
28th April 10, 12:12 PM
According to TASER.com, law enforcement versions ( x26) have a range of 35 feet.

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 12:14 PM
The only ones we have in stock are 21 and 25 feet.

It's the cartridge, not the body.

kracker
28th April 10, 03:07 PM
Oh yeah, and kracker rubs one out to his boa constrictor eating kittens while he picks at the scabs on his scrotum.

Project much?

FickleFingerOfFate
28th April 10, 03:10 PM
Project much?

Wish you could?

Your largest projection is your nose.

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 04:54 PM
Guys, please keep in mind that Kracker is very close to being a semite. Please be sensitive.

Wounded Ronin
28th April 10, 07:54 PM
SWAT 4 convinced me that flexible baton rounds fired from a shotgun are the best toy ever invented. They should have shot that guy in the leg with one of those.

WarPhalange
28th April 10, 09:21 PM
Anyways, next time you're in town how about we re-create this scenario? I'll obtain a taser, a baton, some chemical mace and a pistol. After some training on how to use them properly, I'll climb a cottonwood tree and you come get me down.

Every minute over five that I'm in that tree after you've told me to come down, you owe me five dollars. Every minute under five, I owe you $100.

Whoa whoa whoa. Who said there was a time constraint? Cops get paid overtime, yes? So what was the hurry to get him down if he was unarmed?

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 09:39 PM
Because other sorts of calls happen throughout the day.

One incident like this occupies multiple cops.

Like, if this were my town, there might only be 4 people on duty...and that's about what you'd want for a suicidal goofball stand-off with a bunch of question marks.

Right?

I don't know. Help me understand a day-in-the-life, poops.

Go head. I'm listening.

P.S. Goon, Antifa never followed through my challenge (which he agreed to) involving a demonstration of the ease with which he can handcuff someone who doesn't want to be. Why would you think Poops would be down for this?

Zendetta
28th April 10, 10:34 PM

For the record, what set me off was the Hat Trick of German term implying "skinhead", German Shepherd Fetishism, and the "Who knew Blacks don't like being compared to monkeys?" schtick.

Now I know you are actually not a Natzee, but merely jaded and politically incorrect beyond all normal reckoning. I can respect that; I just don't like Natzees.

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 10:40 PM
The german term for an actual skinhead would be Glatzkopf...I think.

See, I knew that...and avoided it. That's sensitive.

Btw, what do you do for a living?

Zendetta
28th April 10, 10:42 PM
I teach massage therapy.

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 10:43 PM
Is that lucrative? Or are you kind of a poor person?

Zendetta
28th April 10, 10:47 PM
It could and should pay more, like most teaching gigs. But there are some benefits and I often love the work. I'm still broke as hell most of the time, but I spend a lot of money on food.

I'm about to pan-fry some swordfish for me and my gal.

Would I have to stop smoking weed to be a cop?

Zendetta
28th April 10, 10:57 PM
Fun fact: I used to train with, and (I think) HOG currently trains with the (recently retired) Berkeley PD CQ guy.

I wasn't with that gym long enuff to learn the anti-hippie baton kata tho.

HappyOldGuy
28th April 10, 10:58 PM
I'm still on injured reserve, so we just pass the occasional facebook message back and forth, but I thought he had a couple months left?

WarPhalange
28th April 10, 11:03 PM
Because other sorts of calls happen throughout the day.

One incident like this occupies multiple cops.

Like, if this were my town, there might only be 4 people on duty...and that's about what you'd want for a suicidal goofball stand-off with a bunch of question marks.

Right?

I don't know. Help me understand a day-in-the-life, poops.

Go head. I'm listening.

I guess it must depend on where you live. Over here the cops have nothing better to do than give people tickets for running stop signs on their bikes and beat up protesters.

I think I see your point, though. It's totally justified to hurt someone who posed no threat to you or anyone but himself, cuz, liek, you have other shit to do, amirite?

Kein Haar
28th April 10, 11:08 PM
Yes, urite.

Japuma
28th April 10, 11:59 PM
beat up protesters.

This is important.... What else are hippies and college kids supposed to complain about?

Zendetta
29th April 10, 12:27 AM
I'm still on injured reserve, so we just pass the occasional facebook message back and forth, but I thought he had a couple months left?

Nah, he retired like a month ago. I hear the new gym is real cool too.

nihilist
29th April 10, 12:49 AM
Don't taze the tree dwellers bro.

Kein Haar
29th April 10, 12:58 AM
k

SpringHeeledJack
29th April 10, 03:43 AM
Maybe it's strange, but I almost always agree with Kein Haar when this type of issue comes up.

I spent a lot of my 30 years as a pissant, petty criminal, and I've had my share of run-ins with the boys in blue. Much of my time time was spent avoiding cops and trying to get away with as much as I could. I wasn't always as slick as I thought I was, and I had to deal with police from time to time.

Common sense told me certain actions were likely to result in certain reactions from the police. I accepted that. If I was a smartass I knew I'd either get smacked around a bit and sent on my way(small town justice, I guess) or be charged with some bullshit and end up having to pay a fine. If I tried to fight a cop I knew I'd get my ass kicked in the end. Pulling a weapon meant I was likely to get shot. It's hard for me to understand what people expect when they do shit like this.

What do people expect to happen when some unstable weirdo holes up in a tree while proclaiming to have a knife? Do you guys really expect the cop to just walk away from that situation? That reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It seems the guy was lucky he only got tased.

nihilist
29th April 10, 03:46 AM
Smart criminals know how to not get caught and play the game when things get tight.