PDA

View Full Version : This can't be our first EARTH DAY thread...

Kiko
22nd April 10, 07:17 AM
But it is!

Forty years after the first Earth Day (http://www.earthday.org/earthday2010), the world is in greater peril than ever. While climate change is the greatest challenge of our time, it also presents the greatest opportunity an unprecedented opportunity to build a healthy, prosperous, clean energy economy now and for the future.
Earth Day 2010 can be a turning point to advance climate policy, energy efficiency, renewable energy and green jobs. Earth Day Network is galvanizing millions who make personal commitments to sustainability. Earth Day 2010 is a pivotal opportunity for individuals, corporations and governments to join together and create a global green economy. Join the more than one billion people in 190 countries that are taking action for Earth Day.
http://societymatters.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/EarthDay-2010.jpg

We must need more hippies around here!

What are you gonna do for Earth Day??? Besides argue about global warming, I mean.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 08:00 AM
I'm going to do absolutely nothing different for Earth Day.

KO'd N DOA
22nd April 10, 08:52 AM
This is the year of biodiversity.

I just came back from Geneva, where an environment conference hosted by the UN on what was happening environmentally. Conclusion -- we are all doomed.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 08:56 AM
Today happens to be Lenin's birthday. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970, on what would have been Lenin's 100th birthday. If we're going to celebrate communist anniversaries at the UN's behest, let's be open about it.

danno
22nd April 10, 09:49 AM
i watched kick ass. shit was awesome.

Kiko
22nd April 10, 10:18 AM
There's gotta be at least one tree-hugger among us. If I have to plant stuff, I will, so help me!

Madgrenade
22nd April 10, 10:31 AM
It was a good civilisation, but it had to end sometime. Next time they'll do better.

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 10:49 AM
I'm going to put in a halfhearted day at work, go to the gym, cook a nice dinner, and then some combo of watching Top Chef on Tivo/playing a computer game/fucking around online till the Project Runway Finale comes on.

And MG, there won't be a next time until we are all oil. If we don't get our technology to the point of having cheap abundant renewable energy before we run out of oil, it'll be dinosaur years till our next technological civilization, and maybe not even then. So it's worth trying to keep this one around.

MSphinx
22nd April 10, 11:01 AM
Today happens to be Lenin's birthday. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970, on what would have been Lenin's 100th birthday. If we're going to celebrate communist anniversaries at the UN's behest, let's be open about it.

This makes about as much sense as the common troll that 4/20 celebrates Hitler's birthday.

And Earth Day has nothing to do with the UN. World Environment Day is the UN's environmental observance. Earth Day was started by a US senator.

It also happens to fall on the birthday of the man who started Arbor Day, which is as much of a meaningless coincidence.

Spade: The Real Snake
22nd April 10, 11:03 AM
It is kinda cold here, so I am burning some baby seals for warmth as they are a renewable energy source

MSphinx
22nd April 10, 11:05 AM
http://img.techpowerup.org/080505/Warranty%20void%20if%20seal%20is%20broken.jpg

HappyOldGuy
22nd April 10, 11:08 AM
It is kinda cold here, so I am burning some baby seals for warmth as they are a renewable energy source

If they really were renewable then I'm not the kind of environmentalist who cares.

22nd April 10, 11:10 AM
hold on.
I am trying to fashion an old CFL bulb into a skullbong

Fearless Ukemi
22nd April 10, 11:10 AM
I guess I'll take a crap in the woods today.

Kiko
22nd April 10, 12:00 PM
I guess I'll take a crap in the woods today.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!

22nd April 10, 12:33 PM
Lebell's IQ is not a renewable resource.

SAVE THE LEBELL BRAIN CELL!

Kiko
22nd April 10, 01:07 PM
I'll get some fertilizer and dirt!

Where shall we plant him?

22nd April 10, 01:10 PM
Toss him upon the stones and let the buzzards and vultures and crow perform and air burial.

GIVE BAX 2 MUDDER [email protected]

Kiko
22nd April 10, 01:13 PM
Oooh, let's build a HENGE!!

We can dance around it later on....

22nd April 10, 01:17 PM
truth be told, I just want to watch a vulture pick Lebell's carcass clean then puke him back upon its own nest to ward off Toby and piss on its own feet to stay cool

Kiko
22nd April 10, 01:22 PM
Turkey vultures are NASTY things. You want I should toss a pork chop on the roof and catch one for this endeavor of yours?

22nd April 10, 01:28 PM
Nah.
Plenty of roadkill out here to keep them fed.

Truculent Sheep
22nd April 10, 01:37 PM
We were recycling a washing machine today and I only flushed the toilet once. Fucking beat that!

Kiko
22nd April 10, 01:42 PM
What is the washing machine now that it's been recycled?

Truculent Sheep
22nd April 10, 03:16 PM
A WORKING washing machine!

22nd April 10, 03:21 PM
What is the washing machine now that it's been recycled?
A RAYPHAUS for rats?

Kiko
22nd April 10, 04:15 PM
So you REPAIRED the washing machine. Hell, I thought you turned it into a TV or a microwave or a popcorn machine or something else....

Good deal! I'd have thrown mine out, lucky it still works!

Cullion
22nd April 10, 04:56 PM
This makes about as much sense as the common troll that 4/20 celebrates Hitler's birthday.

Except that everything I said was true.

And Earth Day has nothing to do with the UN. World Environment Day is the UN's environmental observance. Earth Day was started by a US senator.

It also happens to fall on the birthday of the man who started Arbor Day, which is as much of a meaningless coincidence.

The same people who founded the UN were behind Senator Gaylord. The headquarters of the Communist Internationale was in New York.

This is a communist holiday, just like modern environmentalism is a thin veneer over a stupid attack on western industrial civilisation.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
22nd April 10, 05:08 PM
You're just making Earth Day sound way cooler, Cullion.

Cullion
22nd April 10, 05:14 PM
I didn't say I wasn't. It's just that my cock itches when people are mealy mouthed about what they really believe.

Truculent Sheep
22nd April 10, 06:54 PM
So you REPAIRED the washing machine. Hell, I thought you turned it into a TV or a microwave or a popcorn machine or something else....

Good deal! I'd have thrown mine out, lucky it still works!

What actually happened was that the original washing machine went the way of all flesh when its bearings went. This was at the cost of the drum so it had to go forever.

So my father-in-law bought a second-hand one off a Rastafarian at a car-boot sale for 40. This one also had a bearing problem but we've replaced those and now it works. Meanwhile the original washing machine sits in the garden but is going to be cannibalised for spare parts tomorrow.

As a rule, very little in the way consumer electrics get bought at Sheep Towers - I got two VCRs from a jumble sale for 1.00. One is a Sony and works shockingly well, and we're still arguing over whether to get a Wii now or until the market has enough good quality second hand ones. Most of our computers were actually found at the dump, given the once-over and now work perfectly.

What is shocking is how much gets thrown away which only needs a quick prod or some routine maintenance to work again. Good news for us, but it does give the house a certain Mad Max vibe...

Robot Jesus
22nd April 10, 07:29 PM
my apartment has all utilities included, so I guess I'll leave all the lights on and the water running.

Ajamil
23rd April 10, 09:04 AM
They put this little graph to show energy use on our electric bills. Their graph doesn't go low enough to show my amount of energy use.