PDA

View Full Version : What, just because they're Mexican?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th April 10, 11:01 PM
So at roughly 5:00 today my house rumbled a little bit for about thirty seconds straight. Normally earthquakes are over before you even realize they happened, so for such a small tremor to go on for so long means it was big somewhere.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci14607652.php

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 7.2
Date-Time Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 22:40:40 UTC
Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 03:40:40 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 32.128N, 115.303W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
Distances 26 km (16 miles) SW (225) from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
60 km (38 miles) SSE (165) from Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
62 km (38 miles) SW (233) from San Luis Ro Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
167 km (104 miles) ESE (105) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 2.4 km (1.5 miles); depth +/- 31.6 km (19.6 miles)
Parameters Nph= 13, Dmin=70 km, Rmss=0.28 sec, Gp=259,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=2

I've heard 5.1, 6.9, and 7.2 being thrown around. The quake hit basically at the apex of the Gulf of California. There doesn't seem to have been any major damage this time, since the closet town was Guadalupe Victoria with a population of 18,000 people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8603073.stm BBC reports one dead

WarPhalange
4th April 10, 11:30 PM
I felt a few waves at my place. I didn't finish putting down my burger and leaving my room before it was over. My roommate ran out of the house screaming "Earthquake!"

Just how far south are you?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th April 10, 11:40 PM
About 50 miles north of you. We could totally hang out, but I don't think you're really in to social interaction.

Keith
5th April 10, 12:17 AM
I felt it as well. I was a bit drunk at the time so it's hard for me to say how long it lasted: my balance was screwed up so it was hard for me to determine how much of the motion was from the earthquake and how much was from the booze.

ojgsxr6
5th April 10, 01:13 AM
is it weird that we're having so many earthquakes recently? I know there seems to be a lot of minor earthquakes around the world, but it seems to be more medium to major ones.

jubei33
5th April 10, 01:46 AM
they're signs of the apocalypse. Better start praying, lukewarm: the bees are already prepared.

EuropIan
5th April 10, 04:06 AM
is it weird that we're having so many earthquakes recently? I know there seems to be a lot of minor earthquakes around the world, but it seems to be more medium to major ones.
Great Old Ones, stirring in their sleep

Ajamil
5th April 10, 04:48 AM
I was wondering that this morning too. Are we having more earthquakes, or are we reporting them more?

Cullion
5th April 10, 05:22 AM
It's Gaia punishing you for capitalism.

KhorneliusPraxx
5th April 10, 08:24 AM
Felt nothing in Indiana...I figure we will have a big one just as soon as the house is payed off.

partyboy
5th April 10, 08:40 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/seismic_waves.png

WarPhalange
5th April 10, 10:27 AM
About 50 miles north of you.
Then how did you feel the quake longer than I did? Was it magic? It was magic, wasn't it?

We could totally hang out, but I don't think you're really in to social interaction.

Truth.

Spade: The Real Snake
5th April 10, 12:05 PM
I didn't feel jack shit.

EuropIan
5th April 10, 12:08 PM
HOW COULD YOU BE SO INSENSITIVE!?

*storms off*

HappyOldGuy
5th April 10, 12:35 PM
I didn't feel jack shit.

He wasn't sitting on your face this time.

Spade: The Real Snake
5th April 10, 12:40 PM
He wasn't sitting on your face this time.
That must be why I didn't feel squat, either

EvilSteve
5th April 10, 01:04 PM
I checked this on earthquake.usgs.com. We're not having more earthquakes per se (tens of thousands of earthquakes happen every year- most of them in unpopulated areas or too small for anyone to care about), but we may be having slightly more significant quakes (the definition of significant being over 5.5 in this case). Last year there were 79 significant quakes. This year we've had 24 so far, which at this rate puts us on track fo 96. However, if the rate slows down, we may even have fewer this year than last.

WarPhalange
5th April 10, 08:04 PM
Okay, so I talked to some friends about it, and apparently it was for a good half-minute down here as well, but for some reason I only noticed it for like 5 seconds.

Cullion
7th April 10, 06:23 PM
Were you sitting on a space hopper at the time? because that would dampen some of the waves.