PDA

View Full Version : Can't we all just get along?? Well, actually... yeah (sometimes... maybe).

Steve
31st March 10, 10:09 PM
Hey, hey! Perhaps this will ease some tensions between the two countries??? Yeah, I doubt it will either.

India and Pakistan unite in sporting marriage

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/IPsports.jpg(CNN) -- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza has used her Twitter page to thank well-wishers following the announcement of her marriage to Pakistan cricketer Shoaib Malik.

The wedding, which will take place in April, brings together two nuclear powers historically divided by political and sporting rivalry.

On Tuesday, the 23-year-old Mirza greeted her 13,205 followers with the message: "Hi Guys! Me & Shoaib are very happy in this new phase of our life.Want to thank the media & all you guys for the wishes. Lots of love to all."
Mirza divides opinion in India, drawing criticism from strict Muslim groups for her short tennis skirts and jewellery, while gaining plaudits and fans for her achievements on the court.

She became the first Indian to win a WTA Tour title in 2005, reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open later that year and won the Australian Open mixed doubles last year.

The announcement of the marriage between the two Muslims comes two months after Mirza broke off her engagement to a childhood friend.

"I have been in the constant glare for too long and would appreciate the privacy at this very personal moment in my life," her statement said.

Malik, 28, is a former national captain who is currently serving a year-long ban from the Pakistan Cricket Board due to indiscipline on a tour of Australia.

He caused controversy in 2007 when, after losing to India in the World Twenty20 final, he thanked Muslims from "all over the world" for their support.

India and Pakistan have fought three wars since their independence in 1947.

-------------------------------------

Link. (http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/tennis/03/31/tennis.mirza.malik.cricket/?hpt=T2)

Still nice to see some high profile people in this department. Indians and Pakistanis marrying has always been a sticky issue for their cultures; maybe the grudge might end, one tiny wedding vow at a time.

EuropIan
31st March 10, 10:16 PM
a way of securing diplomatic relations in the past was marriage of royalty.

This isn't the equivalent but the parallel can be drawn.

Steve
31st March 10, 10:33 PM
Indeed. How have you been, Ian? Are you still in the states?

(everyone excuse the derail)

EuropIan
31st March 10, 10:37 PM
yeah I'm still chillin' in new york...

Steve
31st March 10, 10:44 PM
Cool.

AAAhmed46
1st April 10, 12:55 AM
I bet her breaking the engagement to the close friend was the same reason that chick from Slumdog millionare broke her engagement: "Har har har, imma tooo good for ya now har har har" and then jumped to a famous person.

Looks the same here.

Aphid Jones
1st April 10, 04:21 AM
I bet her breaking the engagement to the close friend was the same reason that chick from Slumdog millionare broke her engagement: "Har har har, imma tooo good for ya now har har har" and then jumped to a famous person.

Looks the same here.
Yep.

Ajamil
1st April 10, 01:31 PM
Heard this on NPR. The lady was trying to downplay her parents bigotry. "You know, they are very high minded people, you know. And they told me, "We do not look down on this because of the religious thing." No. They are simply concerned he is from Pakistan, and there has been so much trouble from those people."

Good for them - I hope they can be happy. I'm glad to see (hopefully) those two at least can see past racial difference.

Steve
1st April 10, 01:50 PM
I heard the same story and I think you confused the religion part. The couple in the OP are both Muslim.

Toby Christensen
2nd April 10, 09:52 PM
In answer to your fundamental question

No. No we can't all get along.

Ajamil
2nd April 10, 11:49 PM
But you can usually ignore, annoy, or kill those you don't get along with.

Steve
3rd April 10, 02:05 AM
In answer to your fundamental question

No. No we can't all get along.

So if Sirc had a sister that liked you and you liked her, you wouldn't date her?

Toby Christensen
6th April 10, 02:06 AM
Yes I would. Sirc is creepy and insecure, but that doesn't mean the rest of the apples have not rolled far from the tree.

Steve
6th April 10, 02:22 AM
But that would mean that you would have to deal with Sirc DIRECTLY.

Toby Christensen
6th April 10, 02:24 AM
So? It's not like he poses a threat to a 210lb manic savage.

He OWES me.

Steve
6th April 10, 02:26 AM
You don't think his sister would mind that?

Toby Christensen
6th April 10, 03:07 AM
Well if she minds Sirc's creepy behaviour, she minds it. It's simple.

Steve
6th April 10, 03:15 AM
I mean your desire to fight her brother.

Toby Christensen
6th April 10, 03:19 AM
Oh.

Well, Sirc is a stalking, ignorant, effeminate little tool.

I have documented evidence of it.

Steve
6th April 10, 03:31 AM
Oh, ok.

:rolleyes:

Ajamil
6th April 10, 10:20 AM
I now want a sci-fi series to star a manic 210 lbs. hero with an earth-shattering headbutt where the season finale reveals that the girl the hero has been slowly falling in love with is the sister to the evil effeminate space overlord SIRC.