PDA

View Full Version : Sean Penn Rallys for Chavez - But Does He know That Of Which He Speaks?

OZZ
31st March 10, 04:36 PM
We all know that Sean Penn generally likes anyone who stands up to the USA, and was particularly vehement in his rejection of the Bush administration and the war in Iraq - but now he is tooting his horn over Chavez down in Venezuela and, according to one of his former co stars, he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.
Maria Conchita Alonso, btw, is an accomplished actor and singer who likely knows a lot more about the politics of Latin America then Sean Penn ever will. She was also an incredibly beautiful woman when she was young..well, she still is, actually.
Anyways, I will be interested to see if he replies to this and what his response will be.
Maybe he should do his homework before shooting his mouth off?
I actually like Penn and I think he is a great actor, but he sometimes lets his passion get the best of him.

Sean Penn Under Fire from Former Costar
by Lindsay Robertson March 29, 2010
Sean Penn's costar in the 1988 cop drama "Colors" has written an impassioned open letter to the actor about recent remarks Penn made praising Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.

Actor Maria Conchita Alonso penned the letter, titled "An Open Letter to Sean Penn," on the website Newsbusters. In it, she expresses her disappointment at Penn's statements made on the March 5 episode of HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher." On the panel-based talk show, Penn praised the Venezuelan president, saying Chavez had been elected in "14 of the most transparent elections in the globe, and been elected democratically." Conchita Alonso, who was born in Cuba 52 years ago but raised in Venezuela, begs to differ.

"Dear Sean, WHY?" she begins. "Even though I have great respect for your artistic talent, I was appalled by a recent television interview where you vigorously showed support for the regime of Hugo Chavez. Therefore, I've decided to set the record straight for you regarding the Chavez regime, supporting my case based not only on my political ideologies, but on proven facts you choose to ignore. Otherwise, I believe your position would be different."

In a fervent yet respectful tone, Conchita Alonso goes on to lay out her case against Chavez, citing lack of free speech, disputed elections, international posturing, and escalating violence and poverty, among others, as issues facing Venezuela under and because of Chavez. "My intention isn't to convince you," Conchita Alonso writes, "but to let you know what is truly happening in this beautiful country of noble people, Venezuela. I would encourage you to investigate in depth the 'inside story' and realize for yourself the dark side behind the person you choose to idolize."

In an interview with Fox News today, Conchita Alonso speculated that Penn just doesn't know what he's talking about. "Either he is ignorant in the subject of Venezuela and Chavez -- and by the way, the Castros in Cuba, because, you know, he likes them -- or I don't know why he's talking about that," the former Miss Venezuela said.

Penn, who is currently volunteering in Haiti, is no stranger to the open-letter format. He's written several missives against the war in Iraq and the Bush Administration that have been published on the Huffington Post and elsewhere.

Penn has not yet publicly commented on Conchita Alonso's letter. Conchita Alonso's publicist says Penn "has not been in touch at all" to address her concerns

Phrost
31st March 10, 04:39 PM
No, he does not know what he's talking about. He should get plastic surgery, a tan, learn Spanish, and then go to Venezuela with empty pockets to live there for the next 10 years.

Then maybe he'd know what the hell he was talking about.

Cullion
31st March 10, 04:55 PM
Rich brat from a hollywood dynasty is convinced everybody else should hate the society that made him famous and rich.. because....

Meh, fuck it. We all know how this works.

HappyOldGuy
31st March 10, 05:19 PM
Sean Penn makes it too easy for you Cullion.

At least he actually has discernable talent in other areas.

Or maybe that makes it worse, I dunno.

Cullion
31st March 10, 05:28 PM
I agree, It's a moot point once Penn comes into it. It's a new form of Godwin.

Sean Penn is a mediocre actor with extensive training and opportunities due to family contacts, as are most modern day Hollywood lefties.

Spade: The Real Snake
31st March 10, 06:09 PM
Chris Penn > Sean Penn

SFGOON
31st March 10, 07:00 PM
He's a Madonna-battering 'tard!

mrblackmagic
31st March 10, 07:22 PM
This is why I always separate artist from their personal lives because they will always disappoint you IRL.

Also, Penn is a great actor just not when he is directing himself.

jkdbuck76
31st March 10, 07:28 PM
Venezuelans have gotten poorer under Chavez I think.

For instance, my Director of Latin American Sales went down there last year (he's been going there for 10 years now) and said that people are living in mud huts now.

Mud. Fucking. Huts.

elipson
1st April 10, 08:05 AM
I don't hate Chavez because of the way he is running his economy, that's just funny to me.

I hate Chavez because he is making a habit of arresting opposition officials and shutting down critical media stations. THAT makes me hate him and it make me call hypocrisy on all the leftist assholes who think he is a great guy while he is doing all the same shit they hated Bush for doing.

Ajamil
1st April 10, 01:17 PM
Sean Penn...he played the mentally disabled dude, right?

Venezuelans have gotten poorer under Chavez I think.

For instance, my Director of Latin American Sales went down there last year (he's been going there for 10 years now) and said that people are living in mud huts now.

Mud. Fucking. Huts.
People in the US would be living in floorless shacks if your money didn't pay for the govt. to build them a house.

Anyway, mud is an excellent building material: plentiful, easy to use, easy to repair, insulates well, and if you can fire them you get bricks.

Spade: The Real Snake
1st April 10, 01:33 PM
Full-Retard

Ajamil
1st April 10, 02:39 PM
You can only say that when relating to speed, now.

jkdbuck76
1st April 10, 07:27 PM

People in the US would be living in floorless shacks if your money didn't pay for the govt. to build them a house.

Anyway, mud is an excellent building material: plentiful, easy to use, easy to repair, insulates well, and if you can fire them you get bricks.

Until it rains. Sod is where its at!

OZZ
2nd April 10, 01:41 PM
I agree, It's a moot point once Penn comes into it. It's a new form of Godwin.

Sean Penn is a mediocre actor with extensive training and opportunities due to family contacts, as are most modern day Hollywood lefties.

I disagree..he's a great actor, very versatile and not afraid to star in roles that many actors wouldn't touch.
Who are these family connections you are speaking of?

resolve
2nd April 10, 02:44 PM
Son of director Leo Penn & actress Eileen Ryan and brother of actor Chris Penn.

OZZ
4th April 10, 10:39 AM
Chris Penn is dead, btw..
Never heard of his dad or his mom.I didn't know that he had family in the business.
In any event, he's a great actor. Bad Boys, The Falcon and the Snowman, Carlito's Way, Milk..his resume is outstanding.

HappyOldGuy
4th April 10, 12:15 PM
In any event, he's a great actor. Bad Boys, The Falcon and the Snowman, Carlito's Way, Milk..his resume is outstanding.

Yeah, attacking his acting is kneejerk.

It's just his political stances that are retarded.

Cullion
4th April 10, 12:24 PM
No, I actually don't think his acting is very good. I don't like Clint Eastwood's acting either, and as far as I know there's nothing much about his politics I'd disagree with.

elipson
4th April 10, 02:03 PM
You're a Chavez fan?