PDA

View Full Version : Conservative MP Throws Tantrums, MP husband gets off Coke rap..

OZZ
31st March 10, 11:04 AM
Here's our politicians at work for us..
This woman is a damn embarassment and her politician husband recently plea bargained his way out of a cocaine possession and drunk driving charge.He got off with a $500.00 fine..must be nice.Anyone else would be in jail a minimum of 30 days for cocaine possession.

Cabinet minister throws airport tantrumCabinet minister apologizes for cursing at security staff in P.E.I.Published On Fri Feb 26 2010EmailPrintRepublishAdd to Favourites Report an errorShare Share280 ArticlePhotos (2)Comments (143)Ads by Google
Murphy Bed Ottawa

Quality, Variety - Easy to Install
Call 866.877.7803, Free Shipping!
www.WallBedsByWilding.com/Murphy
Les Whittington

Richard J. Brennan
Ottawa Bureau OTTAWA–Junior cabinet minister Helena Guergis has issued an apology for her rude behaviour at the Charlottetown airport, where she allegedly threw a tantrum and screamed obscenities at staff who asked her to take her boots off for security screening.

"On Feb. 19, I was rushing to catch a flight at the Charlottetown airport and spoke emotionally to some staff members," Guergis, the minister of state for the status of women, said in an unusually abject mea culpa. "Regardless of my workload and personal circumstances, it was not appropriate and I apologize to airport and Air Canada staff."

It is just the latest setback for Guergis and her husband, former Conservative Edmonton MP Rahim Jaffer, once thought to be one of the capital's golden couples. Jaffer faces a March 9 court date in which he is expected to enter a plea bargain on drunk driving and cocaine possession charges.

Liberal MP Wayne Easter circulated an anonymous but carefully detailed account of the incident believed to have been written by an airport employee who witnessed the events of last Friday.

Martin Paquet, a spokesman for Guergis, was read the account of the airport meltdown circulated by Easter. He did not deny the account, but would not comment on the specifics of the incident. He said the apology issued by Guergis speaks for itself.

According to the account, Guergis and aide Emily Goucher arrived a few minutes before the scheduled takeoff of an Air Canada flight from Charlottetown to Montreal.

In the pre-boarding area, Guergis refused to remove her boots despite being informed that they might set off the security alarm in the metal detector, according to the letter received by Easter. When the alarm sounded, she was asked to sit down and remove her footwear.

Guergis "slammed her boots into the bin" provided by security personnel and then, according to the account, said to one of the airport staff: "Happy f---ing birthday to me. I guess I'm stuck on this hellhole."

Guergis, the MP for Simcoe-Grey, turned 41 on Feb. 19.

After her boots cleared the X-ray conveyor, Guergis, according to the account, yelled at Goucher: "Get those for me. I'm not walking around here in sock feet."

Guergis then allegedly tried to force open the locked door that separates the pre-board screening room from the area where the aircraft was waiting.

When a few moments later the minister was reminded that most passengers are asked to arrive at the airport two hours before boarding time, Guergis shouted back, according to the account: "I don't need to be lectured about flight time by you. I've been down here working my ass off for you people."

Guergis and her aide were ultimately allowed to board the flight.

A spokesperson for Air Canada Jazz said the airline would not comment on an anonymous letter.

"For privacy reasons, (we) will not provide information on a situation that occurred with one of our passengers," Manon Stuart said in an email. "Our employees have dealt with the situation directly with the passenger. Our customer service agents are well-trained to manage various types of circumstances."

Easter, who represents Malpeque in Prince Edward Island, said he has spoken to people who work at the airport and has absolutely no doubt that the account is accurate. Word of the incident spread quickly in Charlottetown, he said.

Employees "were appalled at this performance," he said of his talks with airport staff. "They're good security, but they're typical islanders – they're friendly, jolly. To be berated the way they were was just an absolute shock, especially coming from somebody that had come in to the airport as a VIP."

A spokesperson for Prime Minister Stephen Harper said of her apology: "That's the end of the matter as far as we are concerned."

Jaffer, 37 was arrested and charged on Sept. 14, 2009, at a village near Orangeville, Ont., after being stopped for speeding.

Jaffer, who married Guergis in 2008, represented the riding of Edmonton-Strathcona from 1997 until he was defeated in the 2008 election. He was staying in Angus, Ont., in Guergis' riding when his vehicle was pulled over by the OPP.

In her apology issued Thursday, Guergis said: "It was certainly not my intention to create any additional stress for airport or Air Canada employees who already have a very difficult job.

"My father was born in Summerside (P.E.I.) and many of my relatives still live on the island, which I love and visit almost every year. To me, it is a very special place that demonstrates the best Canada has to offer. I wish to express my appreciation to all the hard-working people who make it so welcoming."

OZZ
31st March 10, 11:34 AM
Here's more on her...this woman represents a riding about two hours south of my city.

Tory minister says misleading letters 'inappropriate' but she didn't know

By The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Embattled junior Conservative cabinet minister Helena Guergis says she had no idea her office assistant has been sending pro-Guergis letters to local newspapers posing as a regular voter.

Guergis, already under fire for an airport security tantrum last month in Charlottetown, says her riding assistant has agreed the letter campaign was inappropriate and has apologized.

The assistant used her married name, rather than the maiden name she uses in her professional life, to send letters defending Guergis to newspapers in her Simcoe-Grey riding northwest of Toronto - without any hint that they came from a Guergis employee.

Adding to the drama late Tuesday, Maclean's reported another Guergis employee had penned a glowing letter to the magazine about her boss, without identifying herself as the MP's spokesperson.

Valerie Knight, who has been on Guergis' staff in her Alliston, Ont., constituency office for three and a half years, signed off with only her name and personal contact information.

She told Maclean's that it didn't occur to her to disclose her affiliation with Guergis when she sent the letter to the editor on March 14.

The letter, in response to the magazine article "Power couple, unplugged", listed awards Guergis received and had Knight conclude, "power couple-I don't know. Smart, hard working, accomplished-you bet."

Knight told the magazine that Guergis wasn't aware of her letter.

That isn't sitting well with others on the Hill.

Liberal MP Wayne Easter notes that all cabinet members have a media clipping service that details every newspaper reference, so it is simply "unfathomable" that Guergis or her department didn't know about the letters.

Easter calls it another embarrassment for the Harper government and says he can't understand why Guergis, the minister responsible for the status of women, remains in cabinet.

The situation is also an embarrassing reminder of an incident involving the minister's husband, former Conservative MP Rahim Jaffer, who once apologized for allowing an aide to impersonate him for a Vancouver radio interview.

Jaffer was in the news last month after charges of drunk driving and cocaine possession were dropped in favour of a plea bargain conviction for careless driving and a $500 fine.

Guergis told the Commons on Tuesday that she had just spoken with assistant Jessica Craven and that Craven told her she had submitted letters to the editor under her married name, Jessica Morgan.

"We did discuss that it was inappropriate," Guergis told the House.

"She apologized and assured me that it will not happen again."

The minister did not otherwise comment on her aide's behaviour

OZZ
9th April 10, 04:44 PM
That stupid woman has stepped down from her MP post at the behest of the Conservative party.
One can only get so much bad press before the big boys start feeling the heat and come for your resignation..looks good on her and her asshole husband- who is also most likely on his way out due to his own bullshit.
I can't stand these politicians who are only in it to serve themselves and try to get rich..they don't give a damn about helping people or serving the public that brought them to office in the first place.And I love it when they are exposed and get hung out to dry by their own party members..it reveals the underbelly of the political game and shows you how dirty a lot of these people really are.The guy gets off a cocaine and DUI rap with a $500.00 fine - anyone else would have gotten a minimum of 90 days for coke possession and had their licence suspended for 30 days at the least.

Grim Harper calls in Mounties, Guergis resigns from cabinet
Module body

1 hour, 4 minutes ago

By Jennifer Ditchburn, The Canadian Press

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper has asked the RCMP and the Commons ethics commissioner to investigate unnamed allegations around former junior minister Helena Guergis, bouncing her from the Conservative caucus until the matter is resolved.

Guergis, the minister of state for the status of women, had offered her cabinet resignation to Harper on Friday morning as newscasts and newspapers recounted the latest controversies surrounding her husband, former MP Rahim Jaffer.

Harper made it clear that the allegations that spurred him to take action were about Guergis directly, but would go into no detail about what they involved.

"Last night my office became aware of serious allegations regarding the conduct of the Honourable Helena Guergis," Harper told reporters hastily assembled in the foyer of the House of Commons.

"These allegations relate to the conduct of Ms. Guergis and do not involve any other Ministers, MPs, senators or federal government employees."

Guergis had sent a letter to Harper on Friday morning, and had also spoken to him by phone.

"It has become apparent through baseless allegations and unfounded assertions made about my family that I need to step aside to allow for the good work of our government to continue serving Canadians," Guergis said in the letter obtained by The Canadian Press.

Earlier this year, opposition MPs reacted strongly when cocaine-possession and impaired-driving charges against Jaffer were dropped and he was fined $500 after pleading guilty to careless driving.

Allegations emerged this week that Jaffer had been promising access to the halls of power through his environmental consulting business.

The Toronto Star had reported that a business connection of Jaffer's had emailed associates telling them that Jaffer had opened doors for them in the Prime Minister's Office. Jaffer's own website had described how his experience as a parliamentarian helped him in his work pursuing government contracts.

The story also suggested that Jaffer had been handing out MP business cards, although he was defeated in the 2008 election.

Jaffer's business partner at Green Power Generation Corp. sent out a news release Thursday rejecting the story and threatening a lawsuit against the Toronto Star.

Up until Friday, Harper had stood by Guergis, at least uncomfortably.

In February, she was forced to apologize when it emerged she had thrown a tantrum at the security checkpoint in Charlottetown airport, saying she couldn't wait to get out of the "hellhole."

In a more general statement emailed to The Canadian Press on Friday, Guergis apologized again for the incident.

"The past nine months have been a very difficult time for me. I have made mistakes for which I have apologized. I want the people of PEI to know that when I spoke emotionally I was speaking about the airport as I would never insult my father's birthplace," said Guergis.

"I apologize again. I have worked hard for Canadian women and I am proud of my record of my accomplishments on their behalf."

She added that she would stay on as the MP for Simcoe-Grey north of Toronto.

Guergis was again called late last month to explain why members of her staff had been writing letters to media outlets in her defence, without identifying their positions.

But it wasn't until the front-page story in The Toronto Star this week spurred a new, more damaging wave of coverage across the country that the wheels of her ouster were set in motion.

"I'm very disappointed. It's a very sad day," Harper said of the affair.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff also described the situation as sad, saying it cast a pall on all MPs.

He said Harper had a responsibility to shed more light on the allegations he had referred to, in the interest of transparency and accountability.

Ajamil
9th April 10, 11:29 PM
"The past nine months have been a very difficult time for me. I have made mistakes for which I have apologized. I want the people of PEI to know that when I spoke emotionally I was speaking about the airport as I would never insult my father's birthplace," said Guergis.lol

"I'm very disappointed (I got caught). It's a very sad day (for the people I'm shifting blame to in my head)," Harper said of the affair.
(She should be) Fixed!

OZZ
21st April 10, 09:21 PM
I am not going to keep posting on this one, and I haven't kept up with all the events because its Canadian politics and I know hardly anybody on here even knows who these people are and could care less. But suffice to say, both the husband and wife are being investigated by the RCMP and their careers are pretty much ruined.
They have been accused of everything from taking bribes/offering inside help to snorting blow at parties ( which isn't a big deal in itself but they were caught on camera at a party doing it !!).
Jaffer says he never used drugs or lobbied government Module body

Wed Apr 21, 4:12 PM

By The Canadian Press

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA - Former Tory MP Rahim Jaffer says he never lobbied the government on behalf of his company - nor has he ever used illegal drugs.

Jaffer is in the hot seat before a Commons committee Wednesday looking into accusations of improper lobbying.

He says any conversations he had with ministers, MPs or senators never went beyond social chit chat about his new career in business.

He also choked up briefly as he apologized to his wife - former cabinet minister Helena Guergis - for embroiling her in his problems.

Jaffer was arrested while driving home from a business dinner last September and was charged with drunk driving and possession of cocaine.

Those charges were eventually dropped and he paid a $500 fine for careless driving

OZZ
22nd July 10, 10:28 PM
Seeing as how I bashed her and her husband, it seemed only fair that I post this..apparently the female MP has been found not guilty of misappropriations in cabinet so there will be no charges and no further investigation.
Her husband is still being investigated though..and he is a giant douche.
I smelled a potential scandal and jumped on it..man, I would have made a good reporter.

RCMP ends Guergis probe with no action taken: lawyer

By The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - The lawyer for deposed cabinet minister Helena Guergis says the RCMP has given his client a clean bill of health.

Howard Rubel says an inspector with the Mounties has advised him that an RCMP probe found "no substance" to any of the issues raised by the Prime Minister's Office.

"Insp. John Kueper advised Mr. Rubel that the RCMP has concluded that there was no substance to any of the issues forwarded to them by the Prime Minister's Office," said a statement issued Wednesday.

Rubel says the RCMP assured him that all concerns related to Guergis have been "resolved" and that there will be no further action.

"No issues remain outstanding," said the statement.

Earlier this year, Guergis was booted from cabinet as status of women minister after allegations surrounding misuse of her office by her husband, ex-Tory MP Rahim Jaffer.

She was also kicked out of the Conservative caucus and made to sit as an independent.

Guergis, who represents the Ontario riding of Simcoe-Grey, denied any wrongdoing, saying Prime Minister Stephen Harper never made clear what allegations he had passed on to the Mounties.

Kein Haar
23rd July 10, 02:11 AM
Quality, Variety - Easy to Install
Call 866.877.7803, Free Shipping!
www.WallBedsByWilding.com/Murphy
Les Whittington

OZZ i5 spam bot. ban plx.

ICY
23rd July 10, 04:58 AM
I wonder if she'll be let back into caucus...kind of doubt it, even if what she's done isn't illegal, she's still a fucking moron and Jaffer, while I think he had huge potential, now has way too much baggage and zero popularity in his old riding.

As for this:

This woman is a damn embarassment and her politician husband recently plea bargained his way out of a cocaine possession and drunk driving charge.He got off with a $500.00 fine..must be nice.Anyone else would be in jail a minimum of 30 days for cocaine possession.

That's fuckin bullshit. Nobody goes to jail for simple possession on their first offence. In fact, if he hadn't been busted for drunk driving at the same time, I doubt they would've even charged him at all, and may not even have confiscated the coke, speaking from experience.

OZZ
23rd July 10, 01:43 PM
I wonder if she'll be let back into caucus...kind of doubt it, even if what she's done isn't illegal, she's still a fucking moron and Jaffer, while I think he had huge potential, now has way too much baggage and zero popularity in his old riding.

As for this:

That's fuckin bullshit. Nobody goes to jail for simple possession on their first offence. In fact, if he hadn't been busted for drunk driving at the same time, I doubt they would've even charged him at all, and may not even have confiscated the coke, speaking from experience.

Well, in Jaffer's case he likely has no priors, so yes, he likely would not have gotten time for a coke possession charge.
However, I know that here in Ontario the cops and courts tend to treat 'simple possession' quite differently depending on the substance. Pot, hash etc. is no big deal but If you have any priors and get caught with a gram of coke or a few points of heroin - you will get 30 days easy. I have not been bagged myself, but I know people who have.
And a cop in Ontario would NEVER let a person keep a gram of coke if they found it on them. Maybe in BC they are liberal enough.While some cops in Ontario might let you keep a few joints..there is no way they wouldn't confiscate cocaine or heroin, or even unprescribed oxycontin for that matter.
ICY - if you actually had a cop let you walk away with a gram of coke you should consider yourself lucky because in this neck of the woods it would rarely happen.

ICY
23rd July 10, 06:35 PM
I've had them let me walk away with morphine and lsd before but never coke, although the amount of lsd was distribution level and I just said it was only for me and since they knew I wasn't dealing, they didn't care. And I had just been arrested under the mental health act.