PDA

View Full Version : Fully Armored, Ready to Kill

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 11:50 AM
After about fifteen months and well over a hundred hours of work, my armor is finally finished:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/i/2010/087/b/f/Full_Armor_by_MetalArtisan.jpg

I debuted it at the costume contest at the gaming convention I went to over the weekend, a contest which I promptly won first place in.
Ten buckles, seven sets of laces, twenty six spikes, and god knows how many scales and rings. The whole outfit probably weighs somewhere about twenty-thirty pounds.
At some point, I'm going to get a good photographer and get some detailed shots of the whole thing. But for now, I'll just revel in my glory.
I have a sword that I made to match the armor, but still no scabbard for it. That's the next project.

Artful Dentures
29th March 10, 12:37 PM
Must wear for entrance for your next MMA fight

Commodore Pipes
29th March 10, 12:42 PM
Hey, that looks pretty good, dude! Two questions:
1) why no crotch protection?
2)What materials are you going to use to make the scabbard?

Bonus Question: You ever attend the Ring Game in Dodgeville, WI?

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 03:05 PM
Hey, that looks pretty good, dude! Two questions:
1) why no crotch protection?
2)What materials are you going to use to make the scabbard?

Bonus Question: You ever attend the Ring Game in Dodgeville, WI?

1) I don't need crotch protection, as I have iron testicles.
Also, I like the look of the more cavalry-style split leg armor.
2) The scabbard is going to be made out of leather. I have a rough design in mind, but I still need to work things out. I also plan on writing the "Asura" (you know, the angry gods in Buddhism) in Manchu along the back of it.

Bonus Answer: No, what is it?

Commodore Pipes
29th March 10, 03:42 PM
The Ring Game is an large-scale LARP game that has been going on for like twenty years, based on the LotR. It pretty much takes over an emtire state park, with cliffs and rivers and shit. I've only gone once, but it blew my mind. Oh, yeah, I've seen some cool armor there - you'd look like a prince there, my friend.

A friend of mine has had great success with making the bodies of scabbard out of rawhide and then covering them with leather and fitting the metal throat and tip. He simply gets a large rawhide bone, soaks it in a bucket for a half hour, unwraps it and nails it to a large board until it dries into a sheet. Then he wets it again and shapes it around the blade, a little bit bigger than normal because it shrinks. He claims it is much easier than wood, so that's something to consider.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 04:26 PM
Awesome. I kind of want to get into LARPing, because honestly, I'm just not quite nerdy enough as it is.

Feryk
29th March 10, 04:41 PM
Congratulations McClaw. Huge accomplishment. How many hours do you figure it's taken you?

bob
29th March 10, 06:10 PM
I would like to see a reality youtube vid - McClaw walks around the city in armour for a day.

Just going to the bank, getting a cup of coffee, catching a bus. That kind of thing.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th March 10, 06:42 PM
You should make something more stylized next, like absurd asymmetrical armor with superfluous buckles. I'll shoot you some goth ninja shots you might find inspirational when I don't have to leave for work in ten minutes.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 07:06 PM
I would like to see a reality youtube vid - McClaw walks around the city in armour for a day.

Just going to the bank, getting a cup of coffee, catching a bus. That kind of thing.
You know, that's a pretty damn good idea. I think this needs to happen. Probably in Ann Arbor.
As for my next project, I'm planning on doing a suit of leather armor modeled after Fighter from the original Final Fantasy. Because I'd be working with an eight bit sprite, it gives me a lot of leeway with design.
Some kind of goth ninja shit is in order, though. I've got some rough plans for a sort of necromancer costume, all black metal and leather and bones and such.

Tyrsmann
29th March 10, 07:36 PM
How much does the torso armor weigh?

I ask because I know a few folks who work with mail and make byrnies and hauberks for reenactors. For them to make a fully functional mail shirt without sleeves is atleast six months workinng on the mail for about 4 hours a day. By the time their done it weighs depending on the size anywhere from 10 to 15 pounds.

Kein Haar
29th March 10, 07:38 PM
100 hours is no joke.

My dad assembled an RC-10 for me as a child, and it took 25 hours. That seemed like forever.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 08:06 PM
How much does the torso armor weigh?

I ask because I know a few folks who work with mail and make byrnies and hauberks for reenactors. For them to make a fully functional mail shirt without sleeves is atleast six months workinng on the mail for about 4 hours a day. By the time their done it weighs depending on the size anywhere from 10 to 15 pounds.

The shirt is maybe 10-15 pounds, and it's probably on the light side for a chain shirt.

WarPhalange
29th March 10, 10:09 PM
I imagine you'd have a hard time walking to the bank and back while lugging around 25 pounds. But at least you wouldn't get mugged on your way there.

Tyrsmann
29th March 10, 11:00 PM
The shirt is maybe 10-15 pounds, and it's probably on the light side for a chain shirt.

Wow, thats actually heavier than I thought it'd be. Did you make it with all steel or did you throw an aluminum or other light metals?

Forgive me if you've already answered these in other threads. From your OP I'm assuming that you've posted pics of your armor in earlier stages.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th March 10, 11:06 PM
Wow, thats actually heavier than I thought it'd be. Did you make it with all steel or did you throw an aluminum or other light metals?

Forgive me if you've already answered these in other threads. From your OP I'm assuming that you've posted pics of your armor in earlier stages.

Nah, fuck aluminum. The rings are all made of 14 gauge galvanized steel, and the scales are a nickel plated steel.
The nickel plated steel oxidizes like nobodies business, so I ended up with black smudges on my face and shoulders after I took the armor off. After working with the stuff, I look like I've been working in a coal mine.

JohnnyCache
30th March 10, 02:38 AM
You know, that's a pretty damn good idea. I think this needs to happen. Probably in Ann Arbor.
As for my next project, I'm planning on doing a suit of leather armor modeled after Fighter from the original Final Fantasy. Because I'd be working with an eight bit sprite, it gives me a lot of leeway with design.
Some kind of goth ninja shit is in order, though. I've got some rough plans for a sort of necromancer costume, all black metal and leather and bones and such.

for bonus points carry a messenger bag and wear a ballcap.