PDA

View Full Version : I need a Hero

Cassius
11th March 10, 03:48 PM
So I'm currently in Astoria, New York on girlfriend duty, but she's working all day today. So, I decided to search Yelp for a sandwich place, and ended up here (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sorriso-italian-pork-store-astoria#hrid:_fnXZLPKTRmCRC2gZu0NEg). This place is amazing. I just finished a half sandwich made with homemade spicy sopressata and mozzarella, sun dried red peppers, and some kind of sweet and spicy mayo. WOW. Fucking amazing. More impressive is how little hurry these guys exhibited for the area. They wanted to take all the time in the world to tell you about their store, let you try the meats that they cure themselves, and tell you about how they make their mozzarella. They all seemed very knowledgeable about every single product in their store, and generally just seemed happy to be serving you, the customer. Very friendly, too. I got a sandwich for my woman, but I am starting to think it won't last until she gets here.

Seriously, if you live in the area, you should eat there.

PS: Super bonus points for all the dried dead pig hanging over the counter. Or as I like to call it, a terrorist shield. Similar to garlic for vampires.

Focus: If you have a local sandwich shop that you really love, feel free to pimp it here.

Spade: The Real Snake
11th March 10, 05:03 PM
I googled it, clicked street view and found some dude that looked like he was pissing in the doorway.
http://i41.tinypic.com/1zwkeig.jpg

I used to love going to Crystal Creek in Flagstaff. Huge, nutty slices of homemade bread, everything was fresh. The sandwiches were absolutely monstrous so much so that two people could share one.

Only gripes were they put way too much bean sprouts on the sandwiches and they would try and dissuade you from not ordering vegetarian sandwiches.

Lots of great small label domestic beers and a pooltable.

Cullion
11th March 10, 05:36 PM
The Bakery, in the little town where I went to what you'd call 'highschool'.

Freshly baked white or wholemeal soft rolls two-hands wide. Any combo of fillings you want ranging from good quality cold roast beef, through real cheddar and stilton, to home made coleslaw, cold scrambled egg, any fresh salad veggies, lots of other cold meats, tuna, corn, all kinds of stuff.

Even if you asked for 'everything' they charged the same. And it was just over half the price of a big mac. I have no idea how they're still in business, but they are.

Zendetta
11th March 10, 06:06 PM
I made one the baddest-ass sammiches ever a few weeks ago.

Backstory: I am helping my girlfriend recover from years of vegetarianism. She is making great progress.

So we went to the Farmer's Market and got:
grass-fed, very well cured pastrami
artisan cheese
really fresh rye bread

Then at the supermarket we got some raw organic sauer kraut and some organic russian dressing.

We then assembled it all into two of the most incredible Rueben(esgue) sandwichs of all time. After eating, it was all i could do to smoke pot and lounge on the couch for a few hours.

bob
11th March 10, 06:22 PM
I freely admit that Americans have the world beat when it comes to the Big Sandwich. I had one in San Francisco once that packed more salami than... well it had a lot of salami. The best sandwiches I ever had were made ourselves every day from local deli produce when we traveled through Italy.

Kiko
11th March 10, 06:25 PM
http://www.sansottadeli.com/menu.htm

There's my deli. The meats and provolone hanging from the ceiling are amazing. The butcher section is too pricey for me unless it's a special occasion, but their store made sausage is wonderful. Pastries, sandwiches, it's like I'm still living in the Bronx near Arthur Avenue. Hell, they get their bread from the Bronx.

I love what the sandwich ladies can build, especially in the summer when I don't wanna cook or even grill.