PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole! We DARE you to make/try it!

Kiko
25th February 10, 12:44 PM
First, a disclaimer. I have NOT nor will I prepare this recipe. Just flipping around the dial on a snow day and figured (with a bit of encouragement from the girls) that this is the ultimate white trash recipe. I'll let one of you brave souls figure out if it's true. Paula Deen also made her version of Elvis's favorite, Fried Peanut Butter & Banana sandwiches on this episode. On with the clogged arteries...

Ingredients
Butter
12 slices white bread
8 large slices deli ham
4 bananas, sliced on the bias
2 cups shredded Cheddar
2 cups crushed potato chips
6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a 9 by 13 glass baking dish. Butter both sides of the bread and layer 6 of them into the bottom of the baking dish, overlapping them as necessary but keep them even. Layer the slices of ham on top of the bread and then the bananas, 6 more slices of bread, then the cheese, potato chips, and bacon. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour this over the casserole almost to the top. Bake for 45 minutes until brown and bubbly. Cut into squares and remove with a spatula, like lasagna.

How could I not include a photo??

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2006/08/25/pa0812_casserole_lg.jpg

Here's a link to the food network site so you can read some folks comments...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/cheesy-ham-and-banana-casserole-recipe/index.html

Feryk
25th February 10, 01:25 PM
This needs more transfat.

Robot Jesus
26th February 10, 04:32 PM
if you replaced some the the ingredients that wouldn't be half bad.

Steve
26th February 10, 04:56 PM
If you replaced all of the ingredients you could be having a nice steak or lasagna.

Robot Jesus
26th February 10, 06:37 PM
if you replaced the bananas with palatians (gave up trying to find the right spelling) maybe use chips of the same plant on top. maybe even change out the cheese for something more South American.

Ajamil
27th February 10, 12:01 AM
Did you mean plantains? The banana-looking squash like veggie?

Robot Jesus
27th February 10, 01:05 PM
Did you mean plantains? The banana-looking squash like veggie?
yes, and actually they are a fruit; just a really starchy one. you can cut them into chips and fry them like potatoes, great with lime.

Robot Jesus
27th February 10, 01:52 PM
this is starting to sound like a potato dish a had at a swanky french restaurant once.