PDA

View Full Version : How do school spirit? LAPDANCE!

Feryk
24th February 10, 12:27 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/dance-lands-teachers-in-trouble-85182872.html

link: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid58616497001?bctid=68249024001

Dance lands teachers in trouble
Pair sent home after furor over their simulated lap dance
By: Melissa Martin

24/02/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 50

Print E–mail Share ThisReport Error A pair of teachers engaging in risque business ignited a media riot on Monday, after a video of a simulated lap dance from a school event went viral.

The video, taken last Wednesday during a well-attended pep rally for Grade 9 through 12 students at Churchill High School, shows students giggling, gasping and screaming as a female teacher receives a strip club-style lap dance from a male teacher.

By Thursday afternoon, students were spreading a minute-long video of the dance amongst each other on Facebook. On Tuesday afternoon, clips from the video were aired on CBC television.

Last night at a Churchill High event, one parent groaned after learning that the video had gone national. "They so, so crossed the line," said the parent, whose daughter showed her the video last week.

"It embarassed me. While we were first watchinrg it I said, 'They crossed the line.' My daughter said, 'Wait, it gets better.' "

To translate teenspeak, it got worse: Among other things, the minute-long clip, which looks like it was made on a cellphone, shows the male teacher bobbing his head near the female teacher's genitals, and grinding his rear end against her crotch.

The teachers, who are said to be relatively new to Churchill's staff, were sent home with pay after a parent complained about the video, said Winnipeg School Division trustee Mike Babinsky. Babinsky first learned of the video from a television producer on Tuesday afternoon.

A WSD spokesperson said the division could not comment on personnel matters, but that it does "expect respectful and professional conduct from all of our staff at all times."

While many students thought the stunt was "gross," the hubbub over the video is overblown, one teen said. "At first we didn't realize what was going on," said a student who was standing close to the action at the pep rally.

"Once the kids started screaming, it was like, 'Oh my goodness.' I just think the joke went too far. I think they should be talking to them, but I don't think they should be suspended. I understand its a serious thing, but they didn't mean to hurt anyone."

Some parents fear the teachers' actions have hurt the school itself. "Churchill has really, really good teachers," said a parent, who said the small Riverview school has been a wonderful environment for her two children. "It makes me feel sad, because now they'll be drawn into that sort of garbage. That this happened is stupidity, but it shouldn't reflect on the school."

Babinsky said the behaviour was "totally inappropriate."

"They look to me like younger staff who got way too into it," he said.

"You can't just look the other way in situations like this.

"By the same token, if you were to turn on the TV, within the next hour you'd find something similar to that on a music station. Society is sending mixed messages."

[email protected]

I cannot believe that teachers can be THIS stupid. Oh, wait... I don't expect teachers to be bastions of morality, however I DO expect them not to compromise themselves and their integrity in front of the students they are supposed to teach. I guess they have some sort of hearing to go through, but I'm thinking a career change is in order.

Click on the link at the top of the page for the video. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to posting You Tube embedded stuff. Sorry.

RJ helped with the tags. Apparently, this video isn't hosted on YouTube, so I posted the link where it is.

Robot Jesus
24th February 10, 12:51 PM
the tags are [ yt] and[ /yt] (minus the spaces) with the gibberish end of the url for the video in between

Ajamil
24th February 10, 01:34 PM
The "gibberish end" being everything after the "v=" for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=g8LUhxR-6Wg&feature=fvhl
(the bold is the vital part)

On topic, the teachers are being stupid not because it harms the students, but their image in the minds of the students. I think they gain some "cool" points but lose a lot of respect and authority.

Robot Jesus
24th February 10, 01:36 PM
yep to both

WarPhalange
24th February 10, 01:57 PM
No. Only the female teacher loses respect. The male probably gets more now.

Zendetta
24th February 10, 01:58 PM
Disgusting and outrageous.

Men should not give lapdances.

Lights Out
24th February 10, 02:07 PM
What kind of world we're living in in which gifting lapdances to co-workers is looke down on?

A world not worth living in, I tell you!

HappyOldGuy
24th February 10, 02:18 PM
If you think that's a lapdance...

That wasn't even PG-13 and everyone in the audience can be safely assumed to be over the age of 13 anyhow.

Lights Out
24th February 10, 02:25 PM
Seriously, while somewhat inappropiate, people are overreacting to this.

Feryk
24th February 10, 02:43 PM
Seriously, while somewhat inappropiate, people are overreacting to this.

Have kids and say that again.

The reason people are reacting to this is not some Moral Majority stand...it's that it destroys the school and the teacher's credibility with the students. If THAT is okay with the teachers, then why wouldn't the students be fucking in the hallway? Why wouldn't that hot young 17 year old throwdown with the gym teacher? It sets a precedent that will lead to all kinds of trouble down the road for both the teacher and the school. Would you trust that guy with your teenage daughter? Especially if her grades were on the line? He clearly doesn't understand limits.

Not to mention that people in leadership positions should have some idea that their actions have consequences. Frankly, these two are too stupid to be in a position of authority. If my kid went to that school, I'd want them both fired. They don't belong in the classroom.

Lights Out
24th February 10, 02:56 PM
Look, Feryk, i like you, dude, but your last post is full of bullshit.

Just because a teacher mimmicked a lapdance on a co-worker, that doesn't mean he's some kind of sexual predator. Linking that to saying that he probably would take advantage on a teengae girl in exchange for good grades is going waaaay too far.

I myself i'm trying to become a teacher (first journalist, then teacher, seems i fancy professions that will get yoy thrown shit at you on a regular basis) and the debate of how a teacher's role should be defined is long and nowhere close to be over.

I agree that maybe the teacher's in question should have saved that for more private moments (at a teachers' party or some such) and doing that in front of the kids was not the brightest idea. But labellling them as sexual predators? Come on!

HappyOldGuy
24th February 10, 03:28 PM
Doing silly things at pep rallies is part of a teachers job description. That really wasn't the brightest idea ever, just because they should have known that someone wouldn't have a sense of humor, but it doesn't hurt their credibility as teachers any more than showing up in clown outfits would.

Feryk
24th February 10, 03:45 PM

Just because a teacher mimmicked a lapdance on a co-worker, that doesn't mean he's some kind of sexual predator. Linking that to saying that he probably would take advantage on a teengae girl in exchange for good grades is going waaaay too far.

I myself i'm trying to become a teacher (first journalist, then teacher, seems i fancy professions that will get yoy thrown shit at you on a regular basis) and the debate of how a teacher's role should be defined is long and nowhere close to be over.

I agree that maybe the teacher's in question should have saved that for more private moments (at a teachers' party or some such) and doing that in front of the kids was not the brightest idea. But labellling them as sexual predators? Come on!

LO;

I like you too, man. But you are way off. I'm going to try to clear up my position for you.

I didn't label them as sexual predators. If you are going to be a teacher you better understand something very quickly -- you work for me. By me, I mean parents. Your number one issue will be handling parents that have entrusted their children to you. What you need to know:

1.) Parents are not logical, nor reasonable. Most are very knee jerk about negative influences in their kids' lives. Doesn't make them right, but it does make them a problem for teachers. These teachers SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that this would get out of hand as soon as someone showed it to their parents. Remember, my biggest criticism is that they were stupid, and set a lousy example.

2.) My point about him exerting undue influence on the 17 year old wasn't that I thought he would do that. I was explaining that his behaviour in that video compromised any trust a parent would have, and that is what would run through their minds. Until you have children, you will just have to trust me on this -- you will do anything to protect them, including ruining an idiot teacher who MIGHT be a problem.

3.) If teachers can simulate oral sex in front of students, why wouldn't students do the same or push it further? Regardless of how you define a teacher's role, surely there is some recognition that these people (older, in authority, etc.) are SUPPOSED to set some sort of example. Failure to recognize that is just BEGGING for a lawsuit - something your future employer will not appreciate.

If you want to be a teacher, LO, I hope you want to be a really good one. The world has too many mediocre people in that job. Do yourself a favor and talk to a bunch of parents before you get into a classroom. Find out how they are feeling about leaving their kids with someone they don't know. Ask about their anxieties. Ask them who the best teachers they had were and why. Ask about the worst. Understand what will cause them to go ballistic. And God Bless You, because good teachers make a huge difference in people's lives.

Feryk
24th February 10, 03:46 PM
Doing silly things at pep rallies is part of a teachers job description. That really wasn't the brightest idea ever, just because they should have known that someone wouldn't have a sense of humor, but it doesn't hurt their credibility as teachers any more than showing up in clown outfits would.

Wrong. The worst a clown outfit would be is not funny. Simulating sex in front of Grades 9-12 is unprofessional and inappropriate. Part of being a teacher is adhering to a Code of Ethics. This will probably be handled as a violation of that Code.

bob
24th February 10, 03:47 PM
Acceptable: institutionalised sexualisation of teenage girls with the ludicrous veneer of a 'sports team'.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/345101190_9c5e7ddaee.jpg

Unacceptable: silly parody.

nifoc
24th February 10, 04:26 PM
Grade 9-12, how old are these kids? >14-15? I know americuh is an uptight country, with a wierd fascination with sex (primarily how bad it is), but seriously...

If they had simulated a lapdance with a student, then yes, they are abusing their position. This, however, is just goofing off. Depending on their personality they might lose some respect from their students, but labeling them as untrustworthy over this is fucking retarded.

Does this preoccupation with sex come fram a lack of it or is it related to the fascination you seem to have with religion?

Hedley LaMarr
24th February 10, 04:36 PM
Grade 9-12, how old are these kids? >14-15? I know americuh is an uptight country, with a wierd fascination with sex (primarily how bad it is), but seriously...

If they had simulated a lapdance with a student, then yes, they are abusing their position. This, however, is just goofing off. Depending on their personality they might lose some respect from their students, but labeling them as untrustworthy over this is fucking retarded.

Does this preoccupation with sex come fram a lack of it or is it related to the fascination you seem to have with religion?
This happened in Canada.:owneddance:

nifoc
24th February 10, 04:49 PM
Ah, I'd hoped they were a less retarded part of that continent, my bad.

HappyOldGuy
24th February 10, 05:08 PM
Wrong. The worst a clown outfit would be is not funny. Simulating sex in front of Grades 9-12 is unprofessional and inappropriate. Part of being a teacher is adhering to a Code of Ethics. This will probably be handled as a violation of that Code.

Wanna rethink that one? (http://xnet.rrc.mb.ca/jhamm/student_teaching/code_of_conduct.htm)

Feryk
24th February 10, 05:11 PM
Don't know where that's from, but a case for #'s 4 and 6 could easily be made.

Feryk
24th February 10, 05:14 PM
I can't believe you guys think this is okay. If nothing else, it is a violation of every Respectful Workplace policy ever created. Face it, these teachers are gone, and they should be.

nifoc
24th February 10, 05:58 PM
So, at a pep-rally, where you have teenage girls in short skirts doing high kicks and splits (aka cheerleaders) and yahoos claiming that they will "crush" and "murder" whatever team they are playing next. Yeah, I'm sure a stupid joke by two teachers is the big problem... Get over it.

Are you seriously suggesting that the students were somehow damaged by watching this?

Lights Out
24th February 10, 06:33 PM
1.) Parents are not logical, nor reasonable. Most are very knee jerk about negative influences in their kids' lives. Doesn't make them right, but it does make them a problem for teachers. These teachers SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that this would get out of hand as soon as someone showed it to their parents. Remember, my biggest criticism is that they were stupid, and set a lousy example.

I understand and appreciate the involment of parents in the education of their children. Too many lazy parents rely on teachers' job to educate their children while at the same time depriving said teachers from all authority and all means to enforce it. However, teachers are human beings and subjected to have flaws. I beleive it is unfair to hold teachers to some über-high standars that the rest of the society doens't hold itself too. Moreso if they also deprive teachers from much needed tools to properly do their jobs. The more I get myself into it, the more I beleive being a teacher is like walking blindfolded in a landmine field.

2.) My point about him exerting undue influence on the 17 year old wasn't that I thought he would do that. I was explaining that his behaviour in that video compromised any trust a parent would have, and that is what would run through their minds. Until you have children, you will just have to trust me on this -- you will do anything to protect them, including ruining an idiot teacher who MIGHT be a problem.

See my previous post. Teachers, as human beings, have their flaws and virtues. You cannot expect for any teacher to be an epitomen of all good things. The incident in question looks more like some goofing around that got overreacted to, and it doens't show any ill intentions on part of the teachers in question. That's an important distintion to make there.

3.) If teachers can simulate oral sex in front of students, why wouldn't students do the same or push it further? Regardless of how you define a teacher's role, surely there is some recognition that these people (older, in authority, etc.) are SUPPOSED to set some sort of example. Failure to recognize that is just BEGGING for a lawsuit - something your future employer will not appreciate.

The thing is, teenage kids these days are overexposed to sex, we, as a society, are overexposed to sex. It wouldn't be a bad thing if we didn't have many prejudices aganinst it, steaming from our jewish-christian background. I'm not saying that what they did was OK, I'm saying that it was some stupid thing to do, but not something to tear off your clothes in outrage.

If you want to be a teacher, LO, I hope you want to be a really good one. The world has too many mediocre people in that job. Do yourself a favor and talk to a bunch of parents before you get into a classroom. Find out how they are feeling about leaving their kids with someone they don't know. Ask about their anxieties. Ask them who the best teachers they had were and why. Ask about the worst. Understand what will cause them to go ballistic. And God Bless You, because good teachers make a huge difference in people's lives.

I've been told that I could be a good teacher for teenagers, and an awful teacher for little kids. I beleive I can speak their same langaueg, so to speak, and relate to them. Also I can beleive I can make them interested in what I'm certified to teach (Spanish language and literature), or at least, make it interesting enough for them to not doze off during my future classes. I would also be happy if I could make them think for themselves and inspire a desire to learn more (not only about the subject I will -hopefully, someday- imparting, but about anything).

Anyway, I have enough decency left to quit teaching if I feel I'm doing the kids more harm than good.

The thing is, we don't know anything about the teachers in question relationship with the kids. Maybe they are the relaxed type, trying to communicate with the kids at a level that will make them trust them. We don't know. I know a couple of teachers which are quite relaxed in their relationship with their students. The kids trust them and respect them, not something easily attained. Sometimes you have to goof a little to get their attention.

Hedley LaMarr
24th February 10, 07:37 PM
So, at a pep-rally, where you have teenage girls in short skirts doing high kicks and splits (aka cheerleaders) and yahoos claiming that they will "crush" and "murder" whatever team they are playing next. Yeah, I'm sure a stupid joke by two teachers is the big problem... Get over it.

Are you seriously suggesting that the students were somehow damaged by watching this?
I like how your summary of the situation omits the fact that the "stupid joke" was two teachers intentionally simulating sex.

danno
24th February 10, 08:13 PM
i really don't have a problem with it. they took the joke a little too far perhaps, after a few seconds it started feeling slightly weird. but really i don't see anything other than your mid-range faux pas.

bob
24th February 10, 09:10 PM
If she'd been wearing a cheerleader outfit, that would have been wierd.

jkdbuck76
24th February 10, 10:02 PM

Just because a teacher mimmicked a lapdance on a co-worker, that doesn't mean he's some kind of sexual predator.

No. But it makes him a TOTAL dumbass.
People don't think. And schools are filled with teachers who don't think.

A few years ago, one of my wife's co-workers was arrested with two male underage students. She was not driving, but she had given them alcohol. She was hawt, too. So I'm sure we can all imagine what was going to happen.

I spoke to the arresting officer and he told me "I asked her 'were you thinking? You just threw away all those years of college and a career.'" The officer told me that she exhibited a "fuckithoocarez" attitude about the whole thing. She resigned a few days later and I can't remember if she lost her license to teach or not.

Ok. Granted, fakeass lapdancing =/= contributing to the delinquency of minors.

But I said that to reinforce that the payrolls of many a school are filled with complete fucktards.

Ajamil
25th February 10, 01:13 AM
I beleive it is unfair to hold teachers to some über-high standars that the rest of the society doens't hold itself too. I would be fired if I did that at my job. I think most people would be fired if they simulated a lap dance during their work - especially if it was in front of kids and/or clients. If anything the standard of professional behavior is severely relaxed during a high school pep rally.

SoulMechanic
25th February 10, 02:15 AM
Its inappropriate to my code of conduct, I could give a shit about the official teachers code of conduct. I wouldn't lace my hands behind my head and then thrust my dong into the face of a woman or have a woman grind her spread ass into my crotch in front of any kids, let alone my own.

nifoc
25th February 10, 03:45 AM
I like how your summary of the situation omits the fact that the "stupid joke" was two teachers intentionally simulating sex.

And? It's still just a joke. Also, it was not sex, it was a lapdance, fully clothed if I understand things correctly. If it would have been impossible for them to continue teaching at that school due to problems from their students after this then that is a totally different story.

In this case the parents had a fit over what, to my mind, is nothing to worry about. Talk to the teachers, explain that at this school such behavior is taking it too far, and get on with your lives. Suspending, and possibly firing them, over a simulated lapdance? That's just stupid.

Kiko
25th February 10, 08:37 AM
I'm with Feryk on this one. I'd go a step further and suggest that teachers have to be at least - hmm, lemme think because it's not really about numbers or age, but about maturity - let's say 10 or 15 years older than their students. You're gonna howl and yell about how I'm wrong too, but anyone fresh out of college should NOT be teaching at high school level.

IF the pair in that video had been students, there would have been suspensions or some sort of disciplinary action taken. Teachers are role models, authority figures even at a pep rally. Kids don't need MORE encouragement to be irresponsible.

Hedley LaMarr
25th February 10, 08:49 AM
And? It's still just a joke. Also, it was not sex, it was a lapdance, fully clothed if I understand things correctly. If it would have been impossible for them to continue teaching at that school due to problems from their students after this then that is a totally different story.

In this case the parents had a fit over what, to my mind, is nothing to worry about. Talk to the teachers, explain that at this school such behavior is taking it too far, and get on with your lives. Suspending, and possibly firing them, over a simulated lapdance? That's just stupid.
Did you watch the video? And yes, it would have been impossible for them to teach in front of their students after this. It wasn't just a "simulated lapdance", it was a lap dance, in front of the entire student body. Anyone planning on teaching should be smart enough to know not to perform sex acts (doesn't change anything if they were clothed, you can still get off) in front of students.

nifoc
25th February 10, 08:56 AM
Unless you guys are claiming that a normal high school student is in danger of being psychologically damaged by watching that (and if you are, then you need to get help), the worst that could happen is that the students try to get away with shit during these teachers classes. If that happens it's the teachers responsibility, and their own fault, and if they can't handle it then they should quit teaching. Being fired over this is just stupid.

Hedley LaMarr
25th February 10, 09:09 AM
Unless you guys are claiming that a normal high school student is in danger of being psychologically damaged by watching that (and if you are, then you need to get help), the worst that could happen is that the students try to get away with shit during these teachers classes. If that happens it's the teachers responsibility, and their own fault, and if they can't handle it then they should quit teaching. Being fired over this is just stupid.
I'm not worried about teenagers being psychologically damaged. The kids in that school will not respect those teachers anymore. And if they had the sense to realize that the kids won't respect them, these teachers would've had the sense to not perform sex acts in front of them.

This is simply a case of firing two teachers who shouldn't have been teaching in the first place. There are better places to get a lap dance than a high school gym. That's what the back of the bleachers at the football field are for.

Zendetta
25th February 10, 10:08 AM
I'm with Feryk on this one. I'd go a step further and suggest that teachers have to be at least - hmm, lemme think because it's not really about numbers or age, but about maturity - let's say 10 or 15 years older than their students. You're gonna howl and yell about how I'm wrong too, but anyone fresh out of college should NOT be teaching at high school level.

Ah. The "Dagon Syndrome".

Good point, Kiko, good point. :eatbabies:

Kiko
25th February 10, 10:14 AM
Not just Dagon, although he clearly has the same issues...

I went to a small private HS. For whatever reason, I was taught 10th grade geometry by the older sibling of one of my classmates. I think their father was on the school board or some crap. She was fresh out of college, couldn't pronounce the word "specific", had no clue how to keep the class under control or that she should discourage the guys flirting with her. I wasn't there, but apparently one of the other classes got so rowdy and she was so unable to cope with the situation, that she threw the text book at them and left the room.

Young men and young women should not be teaching adolescents. Btw, High school students are generally aged 14-18 in the US. Not sure about Canada or other countries. It's not about damaging their psyches - there's plenty of that to go around. It's about providing POSITIVE role models in ADDITION to their parents.

Another anecdote for the pot...

A different private high school, that I could have attended, but that is farther away, supposedly more affluent and certainly more expensive... fast forward from my own day to my kids peers. Young man who lives across the street went there. I ask him how he's doing, since it's possible I may want to send my kids there. He replies that he'd be doing better if he had a capable math teacher. Seems there was one, but the kids wouldn't pay attention or let him teach without being disruptive. Instead of the kids all being told to siddown, shuttup, listen and learn, a bunch of parents decide the teacher should be fired because he's not able to teach and keep their little snowflakes in line. After they get a teacher who knows the material fired, he's replaced by a nun who can certainly keep order, but has no teaching ability. The parents are all fine paying for this.

It may or may not have anything to do with the above tale, but the young man is now working as a DJ.

Zendetta
25th February 10, 10:31 AM
Btw, High school students generally think they are age 25 in the US.

Fixed.

I hear ya, Kiko.

Edumacation is a mess, and its only getting messier.

MrGalt
25th February 10, 10:50 AM
When I was 22 and fresh out of college I substitute taught at the local high school while working box office at the town movie theatre. On occasion my assistant manager was one of my students. That's about five separate flavors of messed up.

He was a cool kid who chose to just pretend we hadn't met while at school then laughed about how the day had gone when we got to our other job, but it could've been an awkward situation.

I think the problem comes from the idea in America that a teacher is someone who has an Education degree. I'd love it if a Biology teacher had a bio degree, a math teacher had a math degree, etc. Since a teacher is pretty much defined as a person with a degree in education, and a high school teacher is merely one who has a degree in secondary education, I could have started teaching high school at age 20 if I had majored in a different subject.

Feryk
25th February 10, 12:25 PM
I understand and appreciate the involment of parents in the education of their children. Too many lazy parents rely on teachers' job to educate their children while at the same time depriving said teachers from all authority and all means to enforce it.

QFT. A source of constant frustration for all teachers.

However, teachers are human beings and subjected to have flaws. I beleive it is unfair to hold teachers to some über-high standars that the rest of the society doens't hold itself too. Moreso if they also deprive teachers from much needed tools to properly do their jobs. The more I get myself into it, the more I beleive being a teacher is like walking blindfolded in a landmine field.

I don't expect a teacher to be perfect. I expect them to be effective. I expect them to create an environment where my kid can learn as much as they can, as easily as they can. I expect them to respect MY right as a parent to decide what kind of influences my minor child will have. You may think that is naive, but you would be wrong. At the very least, the teacher shouldn't be acting at cross purposes to me. You are right about the minefield though. And once you are in the profession, you will probably hate the teachers out there (like these two) who make YOUR job harder.

See my previous post. Teachers, as human beings, have their flaws and virtues. You cannot expect for any teacher to be an epitomen of all good things. The incident in question looks more like some goofing around that got overreacted to, and it doens't show any ill intentions on part of the teachers in question. That's an important distintion to make there.

Maybe this is a cultural difference. What these two did is inappropriate in ANY public setting here (short of a nightclub). I'd be fired from my job for doing that at an office party, or God forbid in front of clients. It's not the same in Spain?

The thing is, teenage kids these days are overexposed to sex, we, as a society, are overexposed to sex. It wouldn't be a bad thing if we didn't have many prejudices aganinst it, steaming from our jewish-christian background. I'm not saying that what they did was OK, I'm saying that it was some stupid thing to do, but not something to tear off your clothes in outrage.

I'm outraged at their lack of judgement, but my clothes are still on :)

I've been told that I could be a good teacher for teenagers, and an awful teacher for little kids. I beleive I can speak their same langaueg, so to speak, and relate to them. Also I can beleive I can make them interested in what I'm certified to teach (Spanish language and literature), or at least, make it interesting enough for them to not doze off during my future classes. I would also be happy if I could make them think for themselves and inspire a desire to learn more (not only about the subject I will -hopefully, someday- imparting, but about anything).

Good luck. It sounds like you know where you will fit, and you care about making a difference. That's a good start. No lapdancing in front of the student body and you will probably have a good career.

The thing is, we don't know anything about the teachers in question relationship with the kids. Maybe they are the relaxed type, trying to communicate with the kids at a level that will make them trust them. We don't know. I know a couple of teachers which are quite relaxed in their relationship with their students. The kids trust them and respect them, not something easily attained. Sometimes you have to goof a little to get their attention.

This crossed the line. It compromised their position of authority. You can be relaxed, casual, etc., but your students still know that you are their teacher and if push comes to shove, you WILL be respected because the position and you, demand it. These two can no longer do that.

HappyOldGuy
25th February 10, 01:11 PM
IF the pair in that video had been students, there would have been suspensions or some sort of disciplinary action taken.
You don't get to complain about PG sexual content at a school event where the main attraction is underaged girls doing the standing splits in super short skirts.

Feryk
25th February 10, 01:22 PM
You don't get to complain about PG sexual content at a school event where the main attraction is underaged girls doing the standing splits in super short skirts.

If you want to debate about the sexualization of children we can do that, and from your post, it appears that you believe it is wrong. So why the hell do we need to add to the problem?

Hedley LaMarr
25th February 10, 01:23 PM
I've never been a fan of high school cheerleading. They don't really do what their name implies anymore (leading cheers,) they just do rhythmic gymnastics to 90s pop music.

Plus the girls in gymnastics were always hotter and weren't as stuck up.

HappyOldGuy
25th February 10, 01:36 PM
If you want to debate about the sexualization of children we can do that, and from your post, it appears that you believe it is wrong. So why the hell do we need to add to the problem?

You are misreading my post. School pep rallies have an inherent sexual subtext. But I have no problem with that since they are by and large adolescents for adolescents. Adolescents need protection from adult predators because they are easily manipulated, but that does not mean that they aren't pretty ridiculously sexual critters.

Feryk
25th February 10, 03:32 PM
So, then it's okay for adults in a position of authority to add to the issue?

HappyOldGuy
25th February 10, 03:33 PM
So, then it's okay for adults in a position of authority to add to the issue?

Err, adults in a position of authority are organizing the whole PG-13 dionysiad in the first place.

Feryk
25th February 10, 03:36 PM
So then you think it's okay that they actively participate in this 'dionysiad' (good word, btw), with the children?

HappyOldGuy
25th February 10, 03:48 PM
So then you think it's okay that they actively participate in this 'dionysiad' (good word, btw), with the children?

With some reasonable boundaries, sure. Again, the harms we are protecting against are that adults can easily manipulate those little hormonal monsters, and that we really don't want to encourage them to have sex. Some light hearted sleazy mockery between two adults does neither.

Feryk
25th February 10, 04:14 PM
Actually, I was arguing that those little hormonal monsters don't need any extra encouragement, and that the act of encouraging them in this context devalues the ability of the adults involved to act as authority figures. While I agree that the odds of the pep rally devolving into an orgy are non existent, that is NOT my issue with this behaviour.

You can argue that the pep rally itself is a sexual exercise, orchestrated by the same adults, and I won't argue it. I don't remember my pep rallies that way, but maybe it's different now. I seem to remember a lot of 'Let's crush the Other Guys! YEAH!!!'

What I do know is that the teachers need to set a higher bar than that, or they lose their credibility. Loss of credibility means they lose their ability to exert any kind social control on the student body in or out of the classroom. This will not foster an environment supportive of learning, which is what they are supposed to do.

Lights Out
25th February 10, 05:45 PM
Just for the record, I'm not saying what those teachers did was OK. I'm saying people are overreacting to it.

And just for the record, of all the things I've been thinking that may motivate my students, lapdances aren't part of it.

I also beleive we have a more relaxed view on sex here, on Spain. Sometimes things are different depending on when or where you decide to play some sexual mockery.

As an example, dirty jokes and lewd comments are common in my workplace, or better said, in my department, since we all get along quite well and our inmediate bosses have a relaxed relationship with the rest of us. Sexual jkes are not uncommon at our jobs parties, as long is a departmen only party.

Of course, nothing of this happens in front of the clients or other bosses from outside the department.

I understand Feryk's point about those teahcers losing authority over the students. But things are not always that easy. Maybe the will lose some, maybe they can regain it sometime, maybe their good at teaching what they do. things are not as black/white and we only know a tiny bit of the story.

Feryk
26th February 10, 12:44 PM
Well, they've been suspended, and it's pretty certain that they will both have their liscences suspended. That means they aren't just fired, they won't be able to work in that province (and, by extension, any others) as teachers again.

bob
26th February 10, 04:09 PM
They've probably already been offered a porn contract to do it for reel.

Feryk
1st March 10, 12:47 PM
If someone is going to joke about a dirty sanchez, then they should have to go through one some how.

Well that would certainly cut down on the comments. You wouldn't have people discussing Rusty Trombones, for example, out of fear.

And Cleveland Steamers will be totally out.