PDA

View Full Version : eat moar p*ssy, or redefining 'cat lover'

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 12:01 PM
Cat stew lover skewered in Italy
The Associated Press

ROME - Italian state TV has suspended a cooking show host who shocked the nation by saying cat stew is a Tuscan delicacy he swears he has enjoyed many times.

RAI TV confirmed on Wednesday that it had suspended Beppe Bigazzi, the 77-year-old host of a popular morning program that offers food tips and recipes in a country fiercely proud of its cuisine.

When his 27-year-old female co-host looked stunned as Bigazzi said he has eaten cat stew "many times," the white-haired, grandfather figure defended his tastes...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/61497

uuxBGgPvEYE

the look on the co-host's face is priceless. i figured this was a troll job by the old guy, but now he's been suspended indefinitely, which is a whole other level of awesome. imagine losing your job because you say you like to eat a certain kind of animal. no actual evidence of such acts, just a statement saying you like it. cats apparently are 'pets' under italian law and protected from 'cruelty, maltreatment and abandonment.'

in the us, people are routinely prosecuted for cruelty to animals, namely beating them or failing to feed them. however, killing them humanely and eating them does not seem to be illegal. there was just a case here in philadelphia where the cops broke down the door of some stinky house and found remains of chickens, dogs, cats, goats and others. they are uncertain whether any charges will be filed because it 'would require determining how the animals died....'

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/80252112.html

Lights Out
19th February 10, 12:54 PM
There's a saying in Spain: "dar gato por liebre" which roughly translates to "to give (a) cat instead of (a) hare". It is used when someone tries to rip you off.

It is an ancient saying which referes to the practice of selling skinned cats instead of hares or to sell cat stew trying to pass it as hare stew, a practice which supposedlt was somewhat common on past, hungrier and poorer times. Wheter the supposed rumours of someone actually cooking cats and serving is at hares are true or false.

There's also another saying: "tienes menos vergüenza que un gato en una matanza", "you're more shamelees than a cat on a slaughter". Which also implies that cats were used at some point in matanzas, to increase the ammount of chorizo, morcilla and the like at a cheaper cost.

Matanzas being the term used to describe all the pork byproducts, specially chorizo and morcilla, which are some kind of sausages, so to speak.

It can alos refer to the feasts that traditionally happen after the slaughtering of pigs.

HappyOldGuy
19th February 10, 12:57 PM
I've heard that cat is pretty awful actually. I wonder how he prepared it.

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 02:33 PM
ask and ye shall receive.

can this be moved to NOM NOM NOM now?

http://catrecipes.com/Cat Braisé

1 cat cut in serving-sized pieces dusted in flour with salt and pepper

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

6 artichokes

2 1/4" thick slices of slab bacon, diced

1 small sweet onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 carrot, diced

1 lemon

3 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced

1/2 c. dry white wine

2-4 c. homemade chicken broth

garni of 4 flat parsley stems, 6 leafy thyme branches, 1 bay leaf tied up with kitchen twine Salt and pepper

1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
http://catrecipes.com/images/braiseddish.jpg
Snap the leaves off the artichokes until only the tender inner leaves remain. Snap off the stem. Trim the remaining green bits from the bottom of the artichoke, and cut off the inner leaves in a bunch at the point where they are very tender. Pare the tough green outer layer off the remaining stem, pairing the stem into a point. Now cut the artichoke bottom into quarters and remove the choke with a sharp knife from each quarter. Rinse to remove any traces of foin ("hay") and drop them into a bowl of water acidulated with the juice of half a lemon.
Heat 2 T olive oil in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven. Dredge the cat pieces in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Brown over medium heat, turning regularly, until golden on all sides. Remove cat pieces to a plate and dump any oil remaining in the pan. Add 1 T of the remaining oil and the bacon dice. (Omit bacon if you only have access to the thin-sliced vacuum packed supermarket variety.) Sauté until cooked but not "crisp". Add the remaining T of oil and the onion and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the artichoke quarters and the garlic, stir one minute, and add the tomatoes and the white wine. Turn up the heat and reduce until syrupy, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Lay the bouquet garni on top of the vegetables. Arrange the cat pieces on top, together with any juice accumulated in the plate.
Pour in enough broth to come halfway up the sides of the cat pieces. Cover and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer over very low heat about 1 hour or cook in the oven at 350 degrees for the same amount of time. The cat should be just tender and part readily from the bone. Don't overcook or it will become dry. Check the liquid level frequently and add more broth if necessary. Turn the cat pieces once.
When done, remove the cat pieces to a warm platter and arrange the vegetables, removed with a slotted spoon, around them. Cover and keep warm. Strain the remaining pan juices into a smaller saucepan and reduce over high heat, skimming frequently, until reduced by 1/3. Pour over the platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with finely chopped flat-leaf parsley if you like.

Ajamil
19th February 10, 03:08 PM
See? Cat meat is nasty and synonymous with getting ripped off. Whereas I hear puppy meat is quite sweet.

xg2id-L_oO0

Too tender for stew, apparently. That or the cook sucked.
QpYPNtUXzK0

HappyOldGuy
19th February 10, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't actually eat cat (my butcher doesn't carry it and I'm not gonna eat my pets), but god that recipe looks like it would cook up nice with a rabbit.

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 03:47 PM
... so as to render them plump and fat for a good table. A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends; and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter.

I have reckoned upon a medium that a child just born will weigh 12 pounds, and in a solar year, if tolerably nursed, increaseth to 28 pounds.
I grant this food will be somewhat dear, and therefore very proper for landlords, who, as they have already devoured most of the parents, seem to have the best title to the children.

Infant's flesh will be in season throughout the year, but more plentiful in March, and a little before and after; for we are told by a grave author, an eminent French physician, that fish being a prolific diet, there are more children born in Roman Catholic countries about nine months after Lent than at any other season; therefore, reckoning a year after Lent, the markets will be more glutted than usual, because the number of popish infants is at least three to one in this kingdom: and therefore it will have one other collateral advantage, by lessening the number of papists among us.

http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

Ajamil
19th February 10, 04:01 PM
Swift was a fool; humans have incredibly low birth rates for a species, like most large mammals. Our problem is in the elderly - we can either cull them, or lean towards a diet or rodents or other prolific, small fuzzy critters. It's why I supported cat cuisine till I heard the flesh sucks. If you're gonna eat meat, you damn well better eat tasty meat.

Zendetta
19th February 10, 04:03 PM
I've heard that cat is pretty awful actually. I wonder how he prepared it.

That would be my guess. I think most carnivorous mammals are not particularly palatable.

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 04:12 PM
Swift was a fool; humans have incredibly low birth rates for a species, like most large mammals. Our problem is in the elderly - we can either cull them, or lean towards a diet or rodents or other prolific, small fuzzy critters. It's why I supported cat cuisine till I heard the flesh sucks. If you're gonna eat meat, you damn well better eat tasty meat.

indeed, but a critical part of his proposal was the elimination of abortion. all those aborted kids would go a long way toward feeding those elderly. if you believe the stat that says there are 1.3 million abortions per year, well, pass the salt!

alternatively, put all the old folks on an island for 'lord of the flies' style culling wars. survivor: geriatric edition

jvjim
19th February 10, 04:49 PM
God, I thought I'd be cool with eating dog until I see the meat and thought about all my childhood buddies. My best friends have always been beef stew? Fuck you Korea.

EDIT: I'm eating at my favorite restaurant tonight. It's a Korean place. FML.

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 05:03 PM
+rep to whoever put this in the food forum! fess up now!

Lights Out
19th February 10, 05:40 PM
It's why I supported cat cuisine till I heard the flesh sucks. If you're gonna eat meat, you damn well better eat tasty meat.

You have more chances of getting eaten by your cats than eating them yourself.

Angry Mandrill
19th February 10, 10:12 PM
thank whatever powers there be for bad translators....

http://eatbabies.com/site/wp-content/gallery/archive/pizzasign.jpg

http://eatbabies.com/site/wp-content/gallery/archive/submission2.jpg

and for sick fucks with sick fucking recipes

http://eatbabies.com/site/?cat=15

WarPhalange
20th February 10, 02:25 AM
There's also another saying: "tienes menos vergüenza que un gato en una matanza", "you're more shamelees than a cat on a slaughter". Which also implies that cats were used at some point in matanzas, to increase the ammount of chorizo, morcilla and the like at a cheaper cost.

Yeah! Taco taco! Kepasa por favor!

Steve
20th February 10, 02:47 AM
+rep to whoever put this in the food forum! fess up now!

I did, and I have said I would try cats, dogs, horses, many times. Why am I not on TV?

Adouglasmhor
20th February 10, 03:18 AM
I ate horse in Germany, and there are butchers in London markets who do horse meat for "pet food", all the cuts you can imagine and there customers are mostly old Italian, Polish or East European Ladies. Course they look after their pets ;)

Steve
20th February 10, 03:38 AM
In Japan they eat raw beef as sashimi.

Kiko
20th February 10, 07:11 AM
Um.. no thanks. Of course guinea pig is a staple in the country where they're indigenous (Peru?). The whole taboo about horse meat is partly because of some Nordic practice of sacrificing horses and eating 'em, so it was forbidden by the church. Probably also because cavalry soldiers would feel repulsed abut eating a loyal steed.

Enough useless trivia!

http://img.moronail.net/img/0/3/103.jpg

Ajamil
20th February 10, 02:37 PM
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/doctors-next-door/tacocat.jpg

I was asked yesterday if I miss out on meat, and I honestly don't really miss it. Yet that's not a complete answer - I do miss not trying some of the more un-American meats out there. I never ate turtle, or small rodents, or a large carnivore, and I'm sure there's more but I'm not concerned with specifics.

Robot Jesus
21st February 10, 06:52 PM
in high school we had a guest speaker who had been in the dutch resistance, he called cat roof rabbit.

Angry Mandrill
21st February 10, 08:13 PM
lol @ dutch resistance. one man does not a resistance movement make. i think rj's in big twubble if lebell finds this thread.

Toby Christensen
17th March 10, 02:15 AM
My twin brother ate Korean dog stew.

"Tastes like old, gamey lamb. Needs a lot of chilli".