PDA

View Full Version : Tater Tots

partyboy
5th February 10, 10:07 AM
So for whatever reason I've been craving tater tot casserole for like the past 2 weeks. Tonight I figured I'd finally make it and here's what I may try:

Ingredients
16 ounces frozen tater tots, thawed
1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup bacon bit
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons minced onions

Directions
1 - Cut each tater tot in half.
2 - In large mixing bowl, combine tots, soup, onion, bacon, and 1 cup cheese.
3 - Mix well.
4 - Spread in a 9 x 13" baking pan.
5 - Cover with remaining cup cheese, then cornflakes, then pour butter evenly over all.
6 - Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

You guys have any suggestions/other recipes that you like for this? This definitely wouldn't be the healthiest of options so help in that department would also be appreciated.

KO'd N DOA
5th February 10, 11:03 AM
In my low-carb diet, been replacing Pasta, Cereal and bread, with Eggplant, Speggetti squash, Sweet Potato, and now cabbage. But is sounds like you are aiming for nostalgia, and boiled cabbage stripps topping the casserol might require experimenting.

Commodore Pipes
5th February 10, 11:44 AM
there is a bar down the street that serves Nacho Tots, which are tater tots armed with cheese and salsa and beef and sour cream and guacamole...

excuse me, I have to go be defibrilated.

Ajamil
5th February 10, 11:57 AM
We serve tots at our restaurant, but they're flat, so we call em "potato pancakes." No one understands that phrase, and asks me what a potato pancake is. I tell them it's a tater tot flattened into a disk. Corporate would save me a lot of time by changing the name to tater tot disks, but I guess that doesn't sound fancy enough for a menu.

Commodore Pipes
5th February 10, 12:42 PM
WHAT? How can an American NOT know what a potato pancake? they're as American as apple sauce and sour cream.

Ajamil
5th February 10, 01:38 PM
Ahh, Wisconsin. They must be as Midwestern Americanas as those those things, cuz us folk out here in Eastern PA got no clue what you mean. Most people are expecting something like buckwheat pancakes. Edit: It helps when I refer to them as "tater cakes" rather than they read "potato pancakes" on the menu.

Commodore Pipes
5th February 10, 01:41 PM
We do have a lot of folks from Baltic states and Eastern Europe here. So maybe that is why they are so American.

Ajamil
5th February 10, 02:02 PM
I mean my work's franchise is based in Ohio, so it would make sense that MidWest folk would know what that meant more than the people farther East.

Commodore Pipes
5th February 10, 02:09 PM
Though a native, there's a lot of stuff about the Midwest I just don't understand. Sheepshead, for example.

Ajamil
5th February 10, 03:04 PM
I don't think I ever got to try brains. But from Hannibal I learned if you don't fry it quick, it gets squidgy like jello.

Steve
5th February 10, 03:13 PM
I'm still pissed that Taco Bell got rid of their "Mexi Nuggets." I've only visited the location that is a block from my place once in 5+ years, the lack of the tots is one of the main reasons why (grade D meat is pretty high up there too).

Holy fuck (http://www.myspace.com/friendsofthenugget), I had no idea I wasn't alone in my dismay until I just searched google now.

:)

Ajamil
5th February 10, 03:21 PM
Meh, Del Taco has 1/2 lbs. bean and cheese burritos, they win out over the Bell every time. None in PA. :(

Kiko
5th February 10, 04:04 PM
https://www.juvieshop.com/item_images/Mini%20Fine%20tater%20tots.jpg

Aphid Jones
5th February 10, 07:23 PM
Hashbrown patties and tater tots have always tied for my affection.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,148162-235203,00.html

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th February 10, 02:07 PM
We serve tots at our restaurant, but they're flat, so we call em "potato pancakes." No one understands that phrase, and asks me what a potato pancake is. I tell them it's a tater tot flattened into a disk. Corporate would save me a lot of time by changing the name to tater tot disks, but I guess that doesn't sound fancy enough for a menu.

Didn't the Jews already capitalize on actual potato pancakes? I have it on good word from more than one Jew that they suck.

Kiko
6th February 10, 02:17 PM
Latkes > Tater Tots.

Kiko
6th February 10, 04:36 PM
^
I was gonna say something about putting applesauce on those..
but it's you, NOB, so I know better!

Cullion
6th February 10, 06:15 PM
I didn't think Latkes were a specifically Jewish thing. I thought they were common in Eastern Europe? They certainly used to them in the polish restaurant in Oxford.

I also thought that a lot of families in PA had their roots in slavic countries ?

Kiko
6th February 10, 08:17 PM
Well, they are and they aren't. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_pancake)

And lots of Poles, Czechs and Slavs settled in Coal country as well as other parts of PA. I'm sure others did too, don't forget Austrians and Germans.

Either way, they're nummier than stinky ol' Tater Tots!

Steve
6th February 10, 09:10 PM
What the hell? When did this turn into a hate thread?

Ajamil
6th February 10, 10:19 PM
It's not hate, they've just found something better. They've moved on, grown up.