PDA

View Full Version : How do London Br0il?

jkdbuck76
3rd February 10, 01:28 PM
OK folks.

So I bought a London Broil this weekend. Marinated it in virgin olive oil, seasonings etc. Seared it on the grill both sides, then lowered the heat and put the broil on the top rack. I cooked it to well done (wanted to stop at medium well, but Failed).

What do you guys do? I'm open to suggestions.

Kiko
3rd February 10, 04:09 PM
You did fine up until the cooking part. Use one of those instant thermometers to see how done the meat is. Take it off the grill early and let it rest. Remember it keeps cooking for a bit as it cools. Resting also allows the juices to settle so they stay in when you slice/carve.

Slice thin diagonal slices against the grain. Enjoy!

jkdbuck76
4th February 10, 12:28 PM
Diagonal? ok. I went perpendicular. Is diagonal better?

Kiko
4th February 10, 12:36 PM
A bit. Pieces will be more tender the more you slice against the grain.

EvilSteve
4th February 10, 12:52 PM
I don't do steak often, but when I do, poke it full of holes with a fork and then douse it in worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Then I massage it briefly before throwing it in the oven. The fork part makes sure the sauce gets way down in and mixes with the meat's juices.

Man, I'm hungry all of a sudden.

Cullion
4th February 10, 08:08 PM
I've never heard of this before. Am I right in guessing that the 'London' in the name isn't referring to London, England?

jkdbuck76
4th February 10, 09:13 PM
London broil has nothing to do with the UK.

As if you haven't done this already...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

To me, it was like a flat iron steak, but a little better in terms of the cut of beef. I think the label said also that it was some kind of chuck sirloin or something.

Although it was just barely well-done, it was good and I'm looking forward to making more.

Question: any ideas for homemade marinades? My wife has severe food allergies and as a consequence, everything I make has to be from scratch. I got loads of lemon juice, spices, Sprite (yes, I use it from time to time), vinegar, Italian dressing, soy sauce, A-1, garlic salt, etc. What am I missing?

Cullion
4th February 10, 09:28 PM
I hadn't already gone to wiki. Now I look at it, it kind of sounds like a big piece of hot pastrami before slicing.

If I was cooking beef for somebody who was ok with meat but who had an irritable constitution I would generally hold back on the spices and make sure that it was well done enough not to give blood in the juices when I squeezed it with a fork.

She'll get more flavour from it if you can time it just right to still be pink inside without any blood. Leave off all the pepper and synthetic sauces until you have a clear picture of what she's allergic to. Add things one at a time each time you cook it. Soy works with beef, and people have been eating it for a long time, so I'd try that first after my initial 'spiceless' version.

Synthetic stuff like Sprite and 'Italian dressing' have to be last on the checklist.
Cooking with additive-rich carbonated sugar-water and generic 'Italian dressing' sounds appalling to me, to be honest. Barbaric, basically.

I don't even know what 'A-1' is.

Good quality beef has a delicious flavour all of its own.

P.S., which north American 'London' does the name come from ? I ask because that might give a clue to an old fashioned recipe for it that doesn't involve synthetic flavours.

jkdbuck76
4th February 10, 09:34 PM
That I couldn't tell you which London it refers to. If something is organic and without food preservatives (petrochemicals), then she can eat it. Sprite is all natural with no artificial flavors. She can do spices as long as they are organic.

She told me that her mom (mum) used to shake some chili powder on it before cooking. I might try that. The marinade would be to soften it up a little.

Edit: my wife works with this hippy lady who is all about organic food and how much better it is for her and eating it is responsible and that she's doing the planet a huge favor. etc. My wife eats if because she doesn't want to blow chunks all the time as she used to.

Cullion
4th February 10, 09:44 PM
Ok, well if it's just preservatives that are a problem (they aren't just petrochemicals. Salt, Gunpowder and many other salts that don't often turn up in the paleolithic food-chain are all still used as preservatives), then I'd look into the traditional pastrami spices, and cook a hot version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrami

We're talking about home-made combos of kosher salt, garlic, black pepper, paprika, cloves (stuck in the meat whilst it broils), allspice coriander seed etc..

Then instead of curing it in saltwater and slicing it thin, just use those spices in a soy marinade and serve it hot and thick.