PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Pies: Apple-Sweet potato Pie

jubei33
16th January 10, 05:26 PM
Experimental Pies: Apple-Sweet potato Pie

Christmas is a time for sweets and the never-ending battle against winter weight gains. This is usually followed by a bout of new Year’s resolutions of dieting and loosing the winter fat pack. However, if you’re not completely in fear of the TV’s nagging demands, then read further. Look ye not unto Barbie and Ken, thou art thou own person. Enjoy what you eat without the guilt plastic pointed fingers raise.

Apple pies are an American staple and making one is as easy as, well, pie. Japan is known for its good produce, especially apples. Fuji in particular, are delicious and start to come in season around fall and winter. The best are allowed to hang on the tree for a bit longer and have a kind of honeyed sugar inside and they retain a little shape while baking. Tales of 100$ mangos aside, their sweet potatoes are also quite good. They are less overtly sweet and have honeyed flavors with respect to the American versions you might be accustomed to. They sell these in winter from trucks that patrol the cities not unlike that ubiquitous summer anthem of ice cream trucks in American suburbs (Ishi-YAAAAKIII~MOOOO).

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/pieingredients.jpg

To start, peel and mash a cooked sweet potato into a paste adding in a little milk for consistency. Peel the apple and cut it into chunks. In a sauce pan, put in 1/4 cup water, 2 table spoons of butter, a pinch of salt, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and spices of your choice like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. How much sugar you put in is entirely up to you. Most recipes demand upwards of 1-1.5 cups of sugar total, but I personally like mine less sweet and the apples are usually already packing a colt .45 of flavor. Bring your pie filling to a simmer, add the apples and lower the heat to low. Simmer and cover, occasionally stirring the mix until the apples are soft and the sauce becomes thicker. Once it thickens, cut the heat and mix in a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice. Set aside and allow to cool a bit.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/unbakedpie.jpg

You can prepare a crust from scratch, or cheat by buying a premade pie crust. Line the inside with a layer of sweet potato paste, then cover with your apple filling. Cover with a layer of dough, but you will have to cut air slits in the top to allow steam to escape when you bake it. Using a fork, push the edges together to seal the pie and trap the delicious flavor. Beat an egg well and paint the top of the pie with it. Put it in the oven and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or so or at least until its golden brown.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/bakedpie.jpg

Anyone ever try a recipe similar to this? what do you think?

Steve
16th January 10, 05:31 PM
Someone forget the NOM NOM NOM folder?

jubei33
16th January 10, 05:34 PM
ah yep, my bad. would you do the honors?

Steve
16th January 10, 05:35 PM
Already there, my friend.

jubei33
16th January 10, 05:36 PM
Its like time travel or telepathy or some kind of magic!!
thankyou:)

Steve
16th January 10, 05:45 PM
Shuush, we keep this up and everyone will be distracted from this:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/wtf.gif

wtf, i think i puked a little in my mouth (though i'm sure it tastes good)

jubei33
16th January 10, 05:47 PM
"everyone will be distracted from"

shit not anymore!

speaking of shit, you know what that thing looks like?

jubei33
16th January 10, 06:05 PM
no? It like this:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/potatoes.gif

Steve
16th January 10, 06:11 PM
I am quite aware of what it looks like, yum!

UpYoursSteve
17th January 10, 07:11 AM
I want to try this recipe, but I'm severely inept when it comes to understanding which spices are good and bad with each other, and how much to use. Do you mind just telling me what you used, and how much?

Please and thank you!

jubei33
17th January 10, 04:07 PM
sure, I used a half teaspoon of nutmeg and cinnamon and like 1/4 of cloves. If you do a whole pie, you'll probably need to double them. some people don't like certain spices. Over here cinnamon is the big one; people say it tastes like medicine. So it's kind of up to you and your taste. If you have good apples, nothing could be just fine.

I hope it turns out for you, good luck!

Kiko
17th January 10, 05:36 PM
Spices are for experimenting! Sniff the spice and imagine it with apples. Try cardamom and allspice too, but just a bit. Anything usually put into pumpkin/apple pies should work.

jubei33
17th January 10, 11:01 PM
Cardamom and allspice are awesome with apples.

Do a couple of lines of red pepper for good measure as well.

Cullion
21st January 10, 03:07 PM
I like apple pies with chinese 5 spice.

Kein Haar
21st January 10, 08:59 PM
You just like apple pies.

Cullion
21st January 10, 09:06 PM
I don't eat desert very often. I'm a savouries man. My 'bad-eating' weaknesses are red meat, fried carbs and alcohol.

Zendetta
22nd January 10, 02:06 PM
Tell us how to make some Limey Meat Pies.

Cullion
22nd January 10, 02:48 PM
Steak and Kidney pie (serves 4)

1.5 pounds of chuck steak.

10oz of ox kidney (trim all the tubes out and slice it up small)

I know Americans don't tend to eat organ meats as much, so look at this picture:-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3163/2281039153_d661dce328.jpg

Cut them in half like in the picture then use a small sharp knife to cut out the tube and grey-white part whilst wasting as little of the good dark-red/brown meat as possible. Dice up the red-brown meat. If you leave any tubes in there, it will be rubbery and horrible. If you do it right you'll have tender little extra pieces of meat that really do good things to the flavour. You'll get used to it.

Salt and Pepper

1 large white onion, peeled and chopped.

A bottle of Guiness.

Beef stock (if you can make it yourself from bones with marrow in etc.. then do so, otherwise use Knorr stock cubes or get the expensive ready made real beef stock with no synthetic additives that comes in a plastic tub).

1tbsp of tomato puree.

Puff pastry to cover (I usually buy the ready-made frozen sheets because I'm lazy when it comes to pastry).

A handful of diced fatty smoked bacon or lardons.

Heat up the oven to 425F

Throw the smoked bacon into a hot pot or pan and get the fat out and as it starts to brown throw the diced beef in. Brown it.

Throw the now slightly crisped bacon and browned beef into a casserole dish , deep pie dish or something else suitable to go in the oven. Pour chopped onion and raw kidney in. Put the tbsp tomato puree in and stir it around so every thing is coated.

Pour a mix of half guiness and half beef stock over the top until the meat is covered. Season with salt and pepper.

Roll out the pastry and cover the deep pie dish or whatever you're using.

Put it in the oven.

After 30 minutes turn it way down to 350F and leave it in there for another 90 so the meat is tender. Check on it every 20 minutes. If the pastry looks like it might get burned, cover it with foil.

You can mess around with herbs or worcester sauce if you want, but you probably ought to get the basic flavour first. Try other beers instead of Guiness too (but not lager, that would be revolting).

Zendetta
22nd January 10, 02:57 PM
Awesome.

Whats a "lardon"?

Cullion
22nd January 10, 02:59 PM
A french term. A little strip or cube of fatty pork used in recipes like this where olive oil or some cheaper vegetable-based cooking oil would be inappropriate. You can get them smoked or unsmoked.

Cullion
22nd January 10, 03:02 PM
You can make a more traditional steak and kidney pudding with basically the same recipe, but instead of puff pastry you'd line the casserole or pie tin with suet pastry and use that for the lid too. It's much denser and soggier.

Ajamil
22nd January 10, 03:23 PM
That kidney picture is so gore-ishly cool to me. Could you try to describe the flavour? Is the texture like stomach and intestine, but without the cilia - or more like a gizzard?

Cullion
22nd January 10, 03:32 PM
The texture is closer to liver, but more tender. If you cut those tubes and the white bit out properly there's absolutely nothing rubbery or unpleasant about it. If you miss any bits of tube or white stuff, you're going to get a piece of rubbery gristle, so err on the the side of wasting meat until you get used to cooking with them.

There is a definite, strong 'kidney' flavour. It's not unpleasant. I guess it's something vaguely simillar to the distinct 'liver' flavour, but different. Maybe a touch stronger. It's very hard for me to describe.

You're putting these in for flavour more than for a different texture.

Cullion
22nd January 10, 05:41 PM
To further clarify what 'lardons' are, this is what they look like:-

http://www.e-monsite.com/cuisine-gourmande/spaghetti-lardon-zir3i.jpg

Little cubes and strips of fatty cured pork.

You don't need nearly that many for this recipe, just a handful. That guy looks like he's using them for the main meat in his dish, in this they're just to get some animal fat off to brown the steak in and give a touch of smokey flavour.

Kiko
22nd January 10, 05:54 PM
Looks a bit like pancetta or just fatback.

Cullion
22nd January 10, 06:10 PM
Yup, it's just like fatback. Pancetta is often cured with more spices and not smoked though. Lardons are cut thicker than pancetta too. Think about cutting a fatty bacon joint into half inch cubes.

Cullion
22nd January 10, 08:52 PM
Serving suggestions with a big fat limey meat pie:

Dollop of grain mustard

Steamed green beans

Steamed carrots

Booze

You don't need extra root vegetables, bread, pasta or rice when you've already got pastry. A few carrots are ok just for flavour.