PDA

View Full Version : Stewed shoulder of Pork with Beetroot

Cullion
8th January 10, 09:33 PM
Just had it tonight in an inexpensive restaurant. It's the wave of the fucking future when it comes to warming winter food.

I didn't ask the chef for the recipe, but there was beetroot, some kind of white alcohol like cider or white wine, caraway seeds, at least 2 different herbs*, sizzled new potatoes and some shallots in there.

From cursory observation, I'd say the potatoes and shallots were done in a separate pot for about 30 minutes to get them crispy, and then dumped in with the pork shoulder + beetroot + sauce. Why? Because it would take a fucking long time to get pork that tender, but the potatoes and stuff were just crisp on the outside and perfect in the middle. Not sloppy or overcooked at all.

Make it happen for yourselves and you will thank me.

* That sauce may have involved a little grain mustard too. But not too much.

Ajamil
9th January 10, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna refer your posts to a friend of mine, he loves to cook.

bob
9th January 10, 01:09 AM
I have an innate aversion to beetroot, legacy of a childhood where beetroot came out of a tin and was thrown into salads and on burgers as the only 'colour' vegetable.

Ajamil
9th January 10, 01:13 AM
Dry, shredded beets are awesome on a salad. Canned, not so much.

Kiko
9th January 10, 09:03 AM
Love beets! Are there any that aren't red? Does anyone ever eat any part besides the root?

It sounds like a great cold weather meal. I've got a pork loin marinating.... will have it tomorrow I think.

Cullion
9th January 10, 09:14 AM
In the UK when you get beetroot preserved it's usually pickled in a jar, is that how it comes canned in the US ?

Kiko
9th January 10, 09:20 AM
Jar or can, they're bright red. I have seen 'em fresh, like carrots with the tops, but I wouldn't know whether they need to be cooked or what.

Cullion
9th January 10, 09:27 AM
Fresh beetroot can just be grated raw into a salad once you've peeled it. The way it was served with the meal I had was shredded up fine like it had been carefully grated and then cooked until it was soft, but not falling apart.

Imagine making sauerkraut with shredded red beet instead of cabbage and you'd have something very close to what they served with the stewed pork.

You do get other kinds of beet which aren't red, but I've not seen them in grocery stores. They're either processed to make sugar (i.e. sugarbeet) or used for animal feed.

Kiko
9th January 10, 09:29 AM
*imagines* ^

Oke, that would work. My family would hate it, but I could deal with it.

jnp
9th January 10, 01:25 PM
I am not a big fan of beets in general, but when my mom visits, she prepares them in a manner that causes me to ask for seconds. She cooks them in a baking pan with orange juice as the sauce. They are delicious, like most of Cullion's cooking threads.

Damn, my wife just informed me that there is more to the recipe than beets and O.J. I will try to find it later.

Edit: Boil beets, remove skins, marinate in 2 tblspns of white wine vinegar, half a cup of OJ and a dash of salt. Throw them in the oven until a fork easily slides into them

Cullion
9th January 10, 03:19 PM
I remember a news item from a few months back saying that apparently there's some chemical in beetroot that can be a useful workout suppliment. It was peer reviewed.

http://mapping-news.com/beetroot-benefits-beetroot-juice-raises-stamina.html

Cullion
9th January 10, 05:54 PM
I am not a big fan of beets in general, but when my mom visits, she prepares them in a manner that causes me to ask for seconds. She cooks them in a baking pan with orange juice as the sauce. They are delicious, like most of Cullion's cooking threads.

Damn, my wife just informed me that there is more to the recipe than beets and O.J. I will try to find it later.

Edit: Boil beets, remove skins, marinate in 2 tblspns of white wine vinegar, half a cup of OJ and a dash of salt. Throw them in the oven until a fork easily slides into them

If I took one of those beets the way your mother cooks it, and then sliced it fine after it was cooked (not shredded, but big flat slices), it would probably make an excellent accompaniment to poached salmon. Perhaps with a little touch of sour cream and dill on the side. You could fan the slices out and make it look like a real chef had made it.

Adouglasmhor
12th January 10, 02:03 AM
Love beets! Are there any that aren't red? Does anyone ever eat any part besides the root?

It sounds like a great cold weather meal. I've got a pork loin marinating.... will have it tomorrow I think.
You get red, purple, white yellow and black beets and variegated red and white . You can eat the leaves as spinach, chard is also a beet grown purely for it's leaves and stalks.

http://www.tandmpics.com/100/4/4299.jpg

Chard
http://www.tandmpics.com/240/5/591.jpg

This is Ruby or Rhubarb chard not rhubarb at all.

Adouglasmhor
12th January 10, 02:06 AM
Jar or can, they're bright red. I have seen 'em fresh, like carrots with the tops, but I wouldn't know whether they need to be cooked or what.

Bake them or eat them raw, stir fry the tops or steam them or add them to a curry instead of coriander leaves.

Cullion
12th January 10, 04:32 PM
Hmm, I never knew that Chard was a beet, thanks Doug.

Zendetta
12th January 10, 07:51 PM
I've been making salad with beetroot the last few days.

Spring greens, baby spinach, shredded red cabbage, green onions, blood oranges, shredded beets, blue cheese, with balsamic vinaigrette.

Kein Haar
13th January 10, 11:44 AM
I remember a news item from a few months back saying that apparently there's some chemical in beetroot that can be a useful workout suppliment. It was peer reviewed.

http://mapping-news.com/beetroot-benefits-beetroot-juice-raises-stamina.html

That's why russians are elite athletes.