PDA

View Full Version : Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Finish Oak Aged Beer

Adouglasmhor
25th December 09, 06:35 AM
http://www.tasteto.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/innisandgunnrumcask.jpg

Got this the Other day from Asda (Walmart) Robroyston who had single bottles of various beers at 3 for 4. I got this which was 1.99 if you bought it on its own, a bottle of their Whisky cask aged Blonde and a bottle of Tullibardine 1488 whisky beer which I have never had before as I won't pay 2.75 for a bottle of beer in a pub never mind a supermarket.

Sweet but pleasant slightly "stouty" spicy taste with the signature oak aftertaste that Innis and Gunn have. at 7.4% it's not a lightweight. I do prefer the original whisky casked and the blonde whisky casked though.

What they say about it.

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Finish Oak Aged Beer

We are delighted to present this unique limited bottling of Innis & Gunn finished in oak
barrels which previously contained navy rum. Maturation in special oak barrels imparts
Navy rums with the sweet, spicy character for which they are renowned. We have long
wondered what flavours might be imparted to our beer by finishing it in these same
barrels and earlier this year we decided to find out.

We brewed a special batch of Innis & Gunn beer and matured it in oak for 60 days. Every single drop spent half of that time in American oak barrels before being refilled into selected navy rum barrels to finish the lengthy maturation. Once the beer had absorbed the unique character the barrels were emptied, the beer blended and then maturation continued for a further 47 days until all of the flavours had married together and mellowed. We think the result is absolutely delicious!

jnp
25th December 09, 02:11 PM
I have to find out if I can get my hands on any of this. It sounds delicious.

jubei33
25th December 09, 05:18 PM
Doubt its going to happen in japan for me. Looks awesome.

MEGALEF
26th December 09, 10:04 AM
Had some one year ago. It was one of those beers that I thought was delicious in the beginning, but was tired of once I reached the end of the bottle.

My recommendation: Share with a friend!

Cullion
26th December 09, 11:51 AM
It sounds a touch heavy for me. I'm a light-ale man generally. Tell me more about this 'blonde whiskey' beer they make please.

Adouglasmhor
26th December 09, 01:41 PM
I did find the rum casked a bit heavy but as I was having it as my one beer of the night in the house it fitted the bill. The blonde whisky casked is really light and not overpowering either of whisky or oak, very slightly sweet with a dry oaky after-taste, very much an oak aged deer de garde style (like a top brewed lager). The whisky and oak doesn't overpower it but gives it a little extra kick, Here's a picture of the blonde and the original whisky cask aged side by side. I could drink a couple of each but I rarely drink more than 2 beers anyway.

http://www.whatalesyatv.com/images/beer_innis_gunn.png

socratic
30th December 09, 05:57 AM
Doubt its going to happen in japan for me. Looks awesome.I bet Japan has some super sekrit underground network of beer afficionados and producers that creates beer so good you'd think it came from Beerland itself ('cause they imported the technology and knowledge in the 1800s).

That or you could drink Asahi :P.

EvilSteve
30th December 09, 10:49 AM
Huh- I've had the regular Innis & Gunn oak aged ale which was okay, but I'll have to give the rum cask stuff a shot. I love rum and I love Weyerbacher's whiskey cask aged ales so this sounds like a must try for me.

jubei33
31st December 09, 03:22 AM
I bet Japan has some super sekrit underground network of beer afficionados and producers that creates beer so good you'd think it came from Beerland itself ('cause they imported the technology and knowledge in the 1800s).

That or you could drink Asahi :P.

They have their own micro brews that are fairly good, but the price is quite a deterrent at 8-9$ for one usually. The tax they place on hops to protect the sake and mega breweries limits innovation in their market place. thus most of the beers you will find are variations of "pil-lager". Even the dark beers these companies experiment with are hardly the stout that you or I would consider in light of Guinness and such.

Aside from that criticism, asahi, sapporro and kirin all make satisfying products, even though the market is saturated with similar product. Apparently, the Japanese just have a taste they all prefer, regardless of whatever technology they've imported in the past.

miyoshi-Becken is pretty good one in Hiroshima (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/Miyoshi+Becken+Beer-Hiroshima-restaurants--Japan:200:373343). The average price is not 2000$ though, they no doubt meant yen, unless they've had a price increase since I was there...its around 20$ for a meal and the beer is extra.

Dogu onsen on Shikoku also has a decent, real stout they sell only in the city as far as I know. I've never seen it on tap elsewhere at least.

edit: oh dear, it appears they've folded. That's too bad. *miyoshi becken

socratic
31st December 09, 07:19 PM
At least they've got good scotch?

That kinda sucks about the whole tariffs thing. Japanese beers tends to be blonde, don't they?

jubei33
31st December 09, 09:40 PM
yeah most of them. They also have these things called chu-hai which are hugely popular among the drink until you drop crowd. They're not brewed like a beer, but are more like hop flavor infusions that taste like really watery beer. I haven't found any that iI'd drink.

great whiskey though, which is a plus for me, because I like it more than beer.

OZZ
3rd January 10, 09:40 PM
I have been drinking the Oak Aged Innis & Gunn for over a year now (I just finished one, actually) but have not tried the Rum Cask yet..
I really like it.

Cassius
21st February 10, 04:27 PM
I just had a chance to try the Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer. Randomly ran into it at a store I would not have expected to see it at. Visually, it's a very appealing brew, light caramel with lots of bubbles. It smells strongly of vanilla. The taste is vanilla, butterscotch, and toffee, with a slightly bitter end. Surprisingly sweet for an EPA, but not in a bad way. The mouthfeel is fairly rich, again, for an EPA. Surprisingly carbonated for a beer from the losing side of the pond. Lot of alcohol presence toward the end, but not overwhelming. This is more the kind of beer I'd expect from an American brewery, but it's good to see the Scotsmen getting exposure for experimental brewing/aging. Overall, it's a little rough around the edges. The parts don't necessarily work exactly like the brewer probably intended them to, but the beer is still very good. I'd give it a B or B+. Definitely not what I'd consider a session beer, but I'll be buying this again. I think it would go well with dessert.

Cullion
21st February 10, 04:31 PM
I'm getting more convinced of some link between American and Scottish approaches to ale. That malty/alcohol rich finish seems common to all the scottish and american brews I've tried so far, even though it's a small sample.

I haven't tried any Northern Irish/Scots Irish ales. A lot of the american population who have 'british' sounding names are descended from scots irish, right ?

Adouglasmhor
21st February 10, 04:54 PM
Some north east of England breweries do "Scotch" ales too, so much so that in parts of Geordieland and Yorkshire you ask for a Scotch you are getting a pint, though if you aren't local they will ask you which one you mean usually. Sam Smiths and S&N breweries spring to mind. Youngers used to do a Scotch bitter for the north of England market too.

Cullion
21st February 10, 04:59 PM
Does my theory based on my small sample sound right to you Doug?

i.e. That Scottish ales tend to have a maltier and more alcoholic aftertaste that American craft-ales seem to emulate ?

Adouglasmhor
21st February 10, 05:02 PM
In general I agree with that, also Duvel is a Belgian take on a Scottish brew and fits that profile as well.