PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner, what are you having?

Cullion
24th December 09, 04:48 AM
I'm cooking the main meal tomorrow:-

Roast Goose stuffed with apple, chestnuts and a little smoked bacon
Potatoes roasted around the goose, in it's fat.
Buttered carrots,
Brocolli,
Pork chipolatas wrapped in bacon,
Red cabbage cooked down with apples and honey,
Real poultry gravy
Honey-glazed roast parsnips
Brussels sprouts.

Goose benefits from having a sharp sauce served with it. I had a theory that gooseberries and champagne would be the basis for a perfect sauce, but they're a summer fruit and I can't find any in the local stores. So I'll make some kind of savoury, sharp apple sauce to go with it instead.

billy sol hurok
24th December 09, 08:02 AM
Chinese, duh.

Ajamil
24th December 09, 10:01 AM
Goin to relatives. No idea except for creamed onions.

SFGOON
24th December 09, 12:26 PM
Outback Steakhouse.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. The parents are having the kitchen remodeled.

At least I'll have fun mocking the wait staff for having to work on Christmas. I bet I can make one of them cry!

Ajamil
24th December 09, 12:36 PM
Hold them up when they first get to the table, make a point to look at their nametag, and say their name, tell them lots of jokes that only the family would understand, then include the person into the joke by asking them a question with no answer relevant to the meal.

At whatever point the waiter get bold enough to ask for your drinks, realize you haven't even looked at the list.

Stall like this for as long as possible - see if you can get two or three tables sat in their section before you order.

Remember to tip 40%.

Tom Kagan
24th December 09, 01:18 PM
At least I'll have fun mocking the wait staff for having to work on Christmas. I bet I can make one of them cry!

I'll bet you don't even taste the spit in your food.

bob
24th December 09, 04:01 PM
Outback Steakhouse.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. The parents are having the kitchen remodeled.

Make sure you tell them that Australians don't even celebrate Christmas until the middle of next June.

Cassius
24th December 09, 04:25 PM
Standing Rib Roast
Russoli Potatoes (potatoes cooked in the pan with the beef fat)
Asparagus w/ herbs roasted in olive oil
potica (slovenian nut roll)
blackberry crisp w/ vanilla bean ice cream

Other unhealthy things.

Cullion
24th December 09, 04:26 PM
Christmas only really makes sense as a 'cheer me up in the middle of a dark, freezing winter' party. I wonder if it will lose it's meaning in the Australian climate.

bob
24th December 09, 04:31 PM
It certainly has a slightly different meaning. More a 'family holiday at the end of the year with some bbq prawns'. The first time I had Christmas in Europe or North America I thought 'oh right, so that's what all those tv shows and movies were talking about'.

There is a minor tradition in the colder parts of Australia to have a yuletide festival in mid-winter.

Cullion
24th December 09, 04:35 PM
When you say 'colder parts', do you mean in mountainous regions?

Australian geography isn't a strong point of mine. I'm aware you have enough snow to have ski resorts at high altitudes.

There's lots of ice and a tiny sprinkling of snow here in the southern UK.

bob
24th December 09, 06:13 PM
Yes. Though our mountains are very small compared to continental Europe they're a fair bit higher than anywhere in the UK. We do have some mediocre ski fields and some areas that get consistent winter snow, plus plenty more that get it once every couple of years or so.

Yiktin Voxbane
24th December 09, 06:51 PM
The victorian ski-fields are bigger than switzerland .

Cold roast chicken between the recently split and buttered bread roll in my kitchen .

jubei33
24th December 09, 07:00 PM
a seafood salad with fresh salmon and roe, spinach, artichock hearts and a light dressing.

roast turkey legs (a rare treat in japan. They don't sell whole birds here for some reason.)

A bottle of moet

some other stuff..mimorette cheese and some other wine as well.

merry christmas to all yall.

FickleFingerOfFate
24th December 09, 09:03 PM
Hours d' overs (sp?)
Standing Rib Roast
Twice Baked Potatoes
Broccoli w/ Hollandaise Sauce
Corn
Holiday Red Green Salad
Homemade Rolls
Tort
Christmas Cookies
Oreo Jello Cake

I'll be starting my new diet next week.

meataxe
24th December 09, 11:39 PM
Grilled cheese sandwich and a can of beans.

Ajamil
25th December 09, 03:35 AM
Homemade apple pie tomorrow!
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9021/cimg0121t.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/184/cimg0122j.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1015/cimg0123k.jpg

Steve
25th December 09, 04:22 AM
I have no idea, and don't really care (though she has a plan), since I'll be giving as much as I can to her and help make it.

Adouglasmhor
25th December 09, 05:15 AM
Carrot and Orange Soup (lentil
Wild Scottish Salmon* with choice of new potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, roast potatoes, red cabbage, mini onions in white mustard sauce, parsnips.
* Rest of the family will be having duck and pork sausages except youngest brother (41) who is having meatloaf and Phil who is having extra veg (vegan).

Ice cream or Xmas pud and custard or Xmas Cake (except Phil who is having Crimbles Dutch apple cake and vegan custard even though I warned her lebel may have tampered with it in some way).

My mum love Xmas and lives in walking distance so she goes mad today - If you aren't there an hour before she has search parties organised and phones the house and mobile.

Booze, Honduran Cigar, more Booze.

billy sol hurok
25th December 09, 08:29 AM
More a 'family holiday at the end of the year with some bbq prawns'.

So y'all actually DO throw another shrimp on the barbie? My faith in TV is rekindled.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1015/cimg0123k.jpg

How many quarters do you normally put in? Are they scattered randomly, or concentrated in one lucky slice?

EvilSteve
25th December 09, 12:03 PM
Lobsters, stuffed quohogs, corn chowder, tuna nicoise salad.

Santa brought me the Venture Brothers box set, Metalocalypse box set and Star Blazers Series II: The Comet Empire. Yes, I'm five years old and it's 1978 apparently.

Ajamil
25th December 09, 03:11 PM
Gina made blackened green beans, thick mac & chz, sweet potato and brown sugar, veggie chili (kidney beans mostly, simple but good with chili powder), apple sauce.

For the carnies - meaty chili, lasagna, honey baked ham, cornbread, and bunches of cookies.

Kiko
25th December 09, 04:18 PM
At first glance, I read that as "for the canaries" and wondered what kinda voracious birds you were feeding, Arjuna!

I just put my beef standing roasts in the oven - a 4 rib cut in half so we each get an end cut!
Oven roasted 'Taters and carrots on the side, lots of chocolates in our stockings for later or cut out cookies.

Merry Christmas!

Neildo
25th December 09, 06:21 PM
for dinner tonight i am having bbq duck, garlic and beef kai lan, sweet and sour pork chop, and chow mein. on my next day off i'm going to do up a proper turkey dinner with stuffing and gravy and all that stuff.

Sun Wukong
26th December 09, 02:18 AM
Like Cullion, I tend to go all out with holiday cooking at home preparing most of the meal myself. This year, the control console for my fancy-shmancy oven shorted out just in time for the holidays.

So I cooked a glazed ham on a bed of sliced apples in my slow cooker and made home made mashed potatoes with a store bought gravy mix (to my shame), home made stuffing with grilled onions, a cosco pumpkin pie, and store bought dinner rolls that I browned in a skillet.

Cullion
26th December 09, 06:56 AM
My apple sauce didn't work out but everything else was fine.

DAYoung
26th December 09, 03:05 PM
Didn't have Christmas lunch. Humbug on the influenza virus.