PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Big Sellout

resolve
11th December 09, 11:51 PM
FIXED!! - Apparently the article was too long to post in one post so I just left the links up and took out the article.

Ok I heard this from Rolling Stone from a guy named Matt Taibbi.

Here he is on the Colbert Report:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/258163/december-09-2009/matt-taibbi

Here's his long arse article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/31234647/obamas_big_sellout/1

What do you guys think about this? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing to gain a correct understanding. Mostly, because I feel powerless about it and knowledge is power. But the more I look into it, it seems the more knowledge I gain, the more powerless I feel lol.

Anyways, would you guys agree or disagree with this guys' statements aboiut the Obama administration being in cahoots with Wall Street since day one?

WarPhalange
11th December 09, 11:59 PM
I posted an article some time ago that said Goldman Sachs had basically infiltrated the government a long time ago and was pulling its strings for years now. The Obama admin has people from GS.

resolve
12th December 09, 12:06 AM
So you agree with Taibbi then?

Steve
12th December 09, 12:14 AM
*yawn*

You know we elect politicians but it is still a job for them, right? Nothing will really change here until we have a violent take over with bombings and a foreign nation(s) occupying the land.

Otherwise, it will always be the same shades of grey.

socratic
12th December 09, 12:24 AM
I think a lot of Goldman Sachs people were pretty big before as well. They've infiltrated a lot of big businesses (ie as CEOs of other banks).

Alan Greenspan is an ex-Goldman Sachs, isn't he?

socratic
12th December 09, 12:25 AM
Supposedly all the top guys who got bailed out when the economy started to tank were all Goldman Sachs people too.

WarPhalange
12th December 09, 12:25 AM
Pfft, you think I read that entire article? You didn't even bother posting a summary, so I don't know what the details are, just that from the picture it's corporate pigs with a shifty-looking Obama.

Honestly? I don't think it's a conspiracy. I don't even think the people doing it know they are doing it. I think it's more like "Okay, so I should do this... but my old buddy from GS asked me for a favor... gah, okay."

And when the news stations run stories on celebrities doing things average people do, like getting married, having kids, getting divorced, cheating on each other, etc., instead of calling bullshit on these things, you'll get this shit.

"We, the People" meant people not only had a say in government, but that they actually cared enough to say it. As long as you don't have people outraged over this shit, it will keep happening.

Despite the pathetic failure in execution, I have to commend the GOPs for doing their Tea Party parodies. We need shit like this, but we need it to be serious, not as an excuse for a barbeque. Take a lesson from the hippies at Berkeley, UCLA, etc. Regents met to "discuss" a giant tuition raise. What happened? They were stuck in the building for 3 hours because of the protesters.

Know what happens when you try that shit with the President? You get arrested and sent to GITMO. Know what happened to people who tried that shit with England in the 1770's-80's? They were killed. And people were willing to do it anyway.

We are complacent, which is why these things happen. If your dog bites every stranger that passes by, it's not because you have a bad dog. It's because you're a shitty pet owner. You can design whatever government you want, and it will never be afraid of its people as long as they don't care. Know how Obama got all these people to believe in vague "hope" and "change"? We need someone who can speak like him and get the attention of the people, but instead say "Block your Senators in their offices until they do their jobs in having your best interests in mind." Writing a letter? Please.

Ajamil
12th December 09, 01:40 AM
Just what I said in the other thread: we need cloned Virtuous Hitler to lead us.

As for Obama, I am very happy with how he has been healing the US image with the world, but rather pissed at his economic strategy and yes - his team. Will most likely not vote for him having a second term.

Shotgun Christening
12th December 09, 07:30 AM
We are complacent, which is why these things happen. If your dog bites every stranger that passes by, it's not because you have a bad dog. It's because you're a shitty pet owner. You can design whatever government you want, and it will never be afraid of its people as long as they don't care. Know how Obama got all these people to believe in vague "hope" and "change"? We need someone who can speak like him and get the attention of the people, but instead say "Block your Senators in their offices until they do their jobs in having your best interests in mind." Writing a letter? Please.

This is one of the best analogies I have ever heard.

Until the people start to hold recall votes when they are unhappy with their reps in Congress, no politician will be properly scared of his constituents. Americans forget. They dont remember from one election to another and the lies or half truths told in speeches and on TV ads only confuse them more.

Obama isnt any better than McCain, or Bush. It was apparent to me that the change he promised wouldnt happen when almost all his appointees were from the Clinton Administration in some form or another.

Bush started the economy headed into the toilet by his outrageous spending on a war that shouldnt have happened. Gas prices went to over $4/gal, and stifled the economy further. He then enacted a HUGE TARP bill that is appearing less and less to be a colosal mistake, but it still isnt over.

Obama decided to continue this war, AND add a trillion dollars in pork barrel money to the debt which he passed out to his friends and supporters. He continues to support the Copenhagen bullshittery, which will only strap our economy further.

Clinto didnt help when he enacted NAFTA.

Fiscal responsibility NOW. Take care of our own FIRST and then help the world with whats left over.
Scale back our Military and strengthen our home defenses.
Become energy self sufficient.

I look at it this way.....

Somebodies kids have to get fed first. Its gonna be mine, then the neighbors kids can have whats left over.

Shotgun Christening
12th December 09, 07:59 AM
Just what I said in the other thread: we need cloned Virtuous Hitler to lead us.

Careful what you wish for.

As for Obama, I am very happy with how he has been healing the US image with the world, but rather pissed at his economic strategy and yes - his team. Will most likely not vote for him having a second term.

He "heals" our image by making the American people pay.

Do you really think that curbing our greenhouse gas production (assuming that GW is real which I highly doubt) is going to help when the largest country in the world (China) isnt going to even attempt to curb theirs? It will place a HUGE financial burden on our economy by raising energy prices. He openly admits that.

He heals our image by having his people prosecute our own Military personnel. (3 Navy SEALS)

He heals our image by not fighting a war that he has commited more troops to. He wants us to be considerate of the country we are in , yet this only causes more of our people to die needlessly for a country that will be just like it was in 10 years or less.

He heals our image by acknowledging Chavez as a fellow World Leader?

He heals our image by making the US people pay for humanitarian missions around the world, all the while we have people living in substandard conditions?

I see the theme he has set....HE heals...WE pay.

HappyOldGuy
12th December 09, 12:47 PM
Who do you hire to run your national banks if not a banker?

Who do you hire to manage the nations money if not a money manager?

Of course it's not as simple and innocent as that. Money plays in politics, and part of the dems post-reagan drive for the center is that they are sucking at the wall street teat just as much as the pubs are. So it's very fair and important to question policies and look for corruption, but freaking out because our top banker had extensive bank experience is a little silly.

Cullion
12th December 09, 04:36 PM
As for Obama, I am very happy with how he has been healing the US image with the world

He's not exactly been bending over backwards to show his appreciation to us.

Cullion
12th December 09, 04:39 PM
Who do you hire to run your national banks if not a banker?

Who do you hire to manage the nations money if not a money manager?

Who do you hire to plan the price of bread but a wheat farmer ?

No wait...

WarPhalange
12th December 09, 04:59 PM
Who do you hire to run the national wheat farm but a wheat farmer ?

No wait...
Analogy fix.

Cullion
12th December 09, 05:08 PM
Oh, you're a quick study.

Ever wondered why you don't have a national wheat farm ?

EuropIan
12th December 09, 06:08 PM
corn subsidies lol.

WarPhalange
12th December 09, 06:10 PM
Oh, you're a quick study.

Ever wondered why you don't have a national wheat farm ?
Because we already heavily subsidize all private ones?

Cullion
12th December 09, 06:11 PM
OH THAT'S OK THEN.

EuropIan
12th December 09, 06:18 PM
it just makes your snarky analogy kinda moot.

Shotgun Christening
12th December 09, 06:38 PM
Who do you hire to plan the price of bread but a wheat farmer ?

No wait...

Why hire a sheperd to watch the sheep, when the wolf will do it for free.

Ajamil
12th December 09, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry England feels unappreciated. I for one appreciate your help in our wars and your support through our crises (not that what I feel matters). What I meant about healing our image, however, was backing away from a domineering "here let us help you" mentality that "the world's only superpower" (did he have to say that?) had developed.

While all the conservapundits rail against, I'm sort of rooting for an implied apology over that, and that isn't really the time to grab another nation by the shoulders and go "and they helped us do it!"

socratic
12th December 09, 11:38 PM
Not even the British like Gordon Brown. Why do you think Obama's going to fly for 48 hours just to have tea with ol' Browny, Cullion? :P

Shotgun Christening
13th December 09, 06:16 AM
I'm sorry England feels unappreciated.

They still owe us from the 40's.

What I meant about healing our image, however, was backing away from a domineering "here let us help you" mentality that "the world's only superpower" (did he have to say that?) had developed.

Agreed.

While all the conservapundits rail against, I'm sort of rooting for an implied apology over that, and that isn't really the time to grab another nation by the shoulders and go "and they helped us do it!"

I agree here too....why drag your allies down by reminding the world that they sided with us.

Cullion
13th December 09, 07:17 AM
Not even the British like Gordon Brown. Why do you think Obama's going to fly for 48 hours just to have tea with ol' Browny, Cullion? :P

Because it's not just a photo opportunity. If Obama thinks it's ok to snub the leader of the country that's lost the second largest number of lives, and spent the second largest amount of money in both Iraq and Afghanistan, because the current leader isn't one of the 'cool kids' he wants to be photographed with, then he's a petulant, shallow man.

Cullion
13th December 09, 07:21 AM
They still owe us from the 40's.

Actually we paid off the last of the financial debts just a few years ago.

Perhaps we wouldn't have had to borrow so much if your right-wing elite hadn't been financing the Nazi war machine.

Shotgun Christening
14th December 09, 06:31 AM
Because it's not just a photo opportunity. If Obama thinks it's ok to snub the leader of the country that's lost the second largest number of lives, and spent the second largest amount of money in both Iraq and Afghanistan, because the current leader isn't one of the 'cool kids' he wants to be photographed with, then he's a petulant, shallow man.

This comes as a shock to you?

HappyOldGuy
14th December 09, 12:52 PM

Is there some specific snub I missed? Cause brownie was Obama's very first overseas visit.

Sun Wukong
14th December 09, 12:59 PM
OH NO! GS has even infiltrated my family! My wife's cousin works for them!!! Blah. Come on.

Rolling Stone is about one step away from being a full blown National Enquirer style tabloid. it's crap. Crap I tell you.

Consider the source. Hell, consider both the sources. Resolve, are you a young earth creationist as well?

Shotgun Christening
14th December 09, 04:42 PM
Resolve, are you a young earth creationist as well?

Wait a sec.....you mean the earth was created? Fuck. Im in trouble now.

socratic
14th December 09, 06:58 PM
Because it's not just a photo opportunity. If Obama thinks it's ok to snub the leader of the country that's lost the second largest number of lives, and spent the second largest amount of money in both Iraq and Afghanistan, because the current leader isn't one of the 'cool kids' he wants to be photographed with, then he's a petulant, shallow man.I wasn't being serious, baby. But srsly, Obama's an American, what do you expect? (Hyuck hyuck hyuck)

TM
15th December 09, 03:54 PM
FIXED!! - Apparently the article was too long to post in one post so I just left the links up and took out the article.

Ok I heard this from Rolling Stone from a guy named Matt Taibbi.

Here he is on the Colbert Report:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/258163/december-09-2009/matt-taibbi

Here's his long arse article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/31234647/obamas_big_sellout/1

What do you guys think about this? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing to gain a correct understanding. Mostly, because I feel powerless about it and knowledge is power. But the more I look into it, it seems the more knowledge I gain, the more powerless I feel lol.

Anyways, would you guys agree or disagree with this guys' statements aboiut the Obama administration being in cahoots with Wall Street since day one?
Seems obvious doesn't it?