PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my Camaro is RARE

Donnely McLeod
9th December 09, 07:53 AM
I got this car almost 14 years ago and refused to ever sell it. Apparently my car is now a rare antique since so many goddamn '78s were made and subsequently destroyed. I just watched a Z28 go for $22,000. I just saw an LT (mine) go for $9,000. And just last year they were still going for about 2 grand and Z28s were going for about 4 grand. And since I paid $2000 for mine when I was 15 (money I saved up from mowing lawns) I'm finally feelin' good about keeping the old gal.

Not that I'd ever sell it mind you. This one isn't mine, but its basically the same.

Kiko
9th December 09, 07:57 AM
Sweet! Nice to see you staying around like your Camaro! ;)

Have you noticed we have an entire folder devoted to autos, driving and such?
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Donnely McLeod
9th December 09, 08:00 AM
Sweet! Nice to see you staying around like your Camaro! ;)

Have you noticed we have an entire folder devoted to autos, driving and such?
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Oh cool, think you could move it for me?

Kiko
9th December 09, 08:00 AM
That's why they made me a mod! Sure!
*makes face at Steve*

jvjim
9th December 09, 08:10 AM
That car makes me jealous. Good form sir.

FickleFingerOfFate
9th December 09, 02:32 PM
A pyrotechnic restoration would take it from rare to well done.

Neildo
9th December 09, 02:32 PM
my friend has a 78. engine blew out so they swapped it out with something totally different. i think it came out of a formula firebird or something.

thing has soo much goddamn torque, its awesome. he's in the middle of painting it and fixing up the bodywork

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs098.snc3/16552_101044989921893_100000491777925_25596_529194 _n.jpg

Sirc
9th December 09, 03:59 PM
You saw them being sold at Barret Jackson and now think that's how much your car is worth?

Congratulations.

jvjim
9th December 09, 04:07 PM
Mother fucker has a cool car dude. It's not your bag, that's cool. But the 1978 Camaro is legit cool as shit.

Donnely McLeod
9th December 09, 04:14 PM
You saw them being sold at Barret Jackson and now think that's how much your car is worth?

Congratulations.

My car is not worth that. I've had an offer of 5k for my unrestored LT model. And that price was here in Augusta at a car show.

Sirc
9th December 09, 04:16 PM
I was just trying to understand because a lot of people do that and I jump at the chance to laugh my ass off at them.

Donnely McLeod
9th December 09, 04:35 PM
I've always been under the impression, though, the Camaro at Barret Jackson would be one of the 68 remaining Yenkos (one went for 2mil). Or like a 1938 Auto Union D (Audi).

WarPhalange
9th December 09, 11:40 PM
I don't understand, what's all this "It's worth $5k man!!" stuff? Is it because the car is decrepit and would require a lot of work? Or what? Because "RARE" things should go for more than $5k. Guitars go for more than $5k.

Donnely McLeod
10th December 09, 12:26 AM
I don't understand, what's all this "It's worth $5k man!!" stuff? Is it because the car is decrepit and would require a lot of work? Or what? Because "RARE" things should go for more than $5k. Guitars go for more than $5k.

Spot on the money. It still needs a full resto. A 57 chevy in the same condition as my car would be worth about 7k. I wouldn't go so far as calling it decrepit.

Interior, new seats, carpeting, dash resto, soundproofing, electrical, new window gearing, new windows (starting to get the idea?), new heat shielding. The trunk needs a full resto, the underframe/body needs structural work (since the body is the frame behind the chassis on a Camaro), it needs a full body resto (I've already taken care of the rust issues... I hope). It has all the problems common of an antique car that has operated on a budget. But the engine is outstanding along with the rest of the drivetrain.

Sirc
10th December 09, 07:56 AM
I've always been under the impression, though, the Camaro at Barret Jackson would be one of the 68 remaining Yenkos (one went for 2mil). Or like a 1938 Auto Union D (Audi).

Not always. Sometimes people just go there to sell their random ass shit cans.

It really comes down to the percentage of worth to the original cost of the car.

A Toyota 2000GT was something like $6500 when it first came out IIRC. A bit more expensive than atypical porsches/jaguars at the time.

Today they are worth over $200,000.

If your car holds up at least 25% of the sticker price after 10 years, your car is probably sort of collectible.

My MR2 was sold for $7000 after 14 years with a MSRP of $21,000~. 7*100/21 = 33%. Ergo, the MR2 is a collectible.

The higher the percentage of the going rate for your car after 10 years the more rare or collectible your car is, generally. Usually, until the going average for your vehicle goes beyond the 100% mark, it's not considered "rare." However there are cars such as the Integra Type R, which are around 70% of the MSRP or the Toyota Supra MKIV which is at about 90-100% of its MSRP, that are considered very rare.

I sold my MR2 on the low-side despite it being in incredibly good condition. At the condition my car was in, most people sold them for around 8 or 9,000. I just needed mine gone.

Phrost
10th December 09, 10:23 AM
I left a 91 MR2 with a blown engine on the street for the county to pick up.

jvjim
10th December 09, 10:32 AM
mr2=french for shit

Donnely McLeod
10th December 09, 03:27 PM
Phrost owned an MR2?

I promise when an MR2 hits 30 years it'll have the value of its weight to the price a junkyard will pay for it.

Sirc
10th December 09, 06:49 PM
Phrost owned an MR2?

I promise when an MR2 hits 30 years it'll have the value of its weight to the price a junkyard will pay for it.

I'll take that bet.

94 MR2 Turbo in 10 more years will still be worth at least 50% of it's sticker price.

Phrost
11th December 09, 10:51 AM
They're neat little cars and it got me laid when I was a 22 year old.

Shotgun Christening
11th December 09, 11:37 AM
If you had a Z or an RS I would think it would be rare, but they made like 75k of the LT's.
Thats about as many RS and Z's they made in total.

What do you have in it? The 250, 305, or 350?

Is your a LT RS or LT SC?

Shotgun Christening
11th December 09, 11:38 AM
They're neat little cars and it got me laid when I was a 22 year old.

I didnt know you were gay in college.....

FickleFingerOfFate
11th December 09, 12:01 PM
I didnt know you were gay in college.....

He was still in High School.

Sirc
11th December 09, 02:21 PM
I think what we're all missing here is that the Camaro is a piece of shit anyway and really has been for the last 40ish years.

There's nothing really exciting or great about it.

ICY
12th December 09, 12:14 AM
The only thing that makes a Camaro exciting is its engine bay. It's made to accomodate an awesome engine. Often, it doesn't.

Donnely McLeod
12th December 09, 03:38 AM
I'll take that bet.

94 MR2 Turbo in 10 more years will still be worth at least 50% of it's sticker price.

It must be nice to live on fantasy island. Its a ricey coffee can of monkey jizm. And the only people who imagine it to be the next best thing to a Ferrari also have all the fast and the furious collection on BluRay wrapped in a glass shrine below their tv. Stop pretending it to be something it is not.

There is no difference between Ricers and Tuners. Whatever the MR2 is, it is utterly unimpressive. I get to restore old Muscle and when you sit behind the wheel of a beast with 600 horse power wich gets up to 175mph entirely to fast you'll never be the same.

If you had a Z or an RS I would think it would be rare, but they made like 75k of the LT's.
Thats about as many RS and Z's they made in total.

What do you have in it? The 250, 305, or 350?

Is your a LT RS or LT SC?

I have a 350. And it doesn't matter how many were made, it matters how many of them still exist. They were prolific and always subject to mass auto-murder.

bonnykate
13th December 09, 03:56 AM
It must be nice to live on fantasy island. Its a ricey coffee can of monkey jizm. And the only people who imagine it to be the next best thing to a Ferrari also have all the fast and the furious collection on BluRay wrapped in a glass shrine below their tv. Stop pretending it to be something it is not.

There is no difference between Ricers and Tuners. Whatever the MR2 is, it is utterly unimpressive. I get to restore old Muscle and when you sit behind the wheel of a beast with 600 horse power wich gets up to 175mph entirely to fast you'll never be the same.

It sounds like your penis is really small.

Shotgun Christening
13th December 09, 06:12 AM
I have a 350. And it doesn't matter how many were made, it matters how many of them still exist. They were prolific and always subject to mass auto-murder.

That was kind of my question. How many are left?

Shotgun Christening
13th December 09, 06:13 AM
It sounds like your penis is really small.

You should know, youre fucking Sirc.

Sirc
13th December 09, 08:49 AM
You should know, youre fucking Sirc.

Just imagine, if your other kid died you could complete your fireplace mantle collection.

Listen Danny,

I understand that you wouldn't understand the finer and more elegant points of real racing. I understand that you think drag racing is the end-all and be-all of automotive performance and like a virgin who's got his hands on a playboy awkwardly flips to the center spread, tries desperately to find the HP rating of every car as if the random flywheel horsepower somehow indicates it's ability to turn, stop, and its chassis is capable of keeping itself from misappropriating its weight and flexing in such a manner that chassis rebound that it makes it feel like you're driving a freight train.

Your Camaro has a chassis made of cheese. It has brakes from a sedan. The engineers used crayons to draft up the car.

Seriously, it's cute that you appreciate your shitty car and whatever, but please, you need to understand the difference between your shitty car and cars with some sort of sports engineering behind it.

You go continue to drag race your car with children and other adults who haven't grown up. I've got 2 months to prepare for next year's SCCA and HPDE events. OK?

Shotgun Christening
13th December 09, 08:11 PM
Just imagine, if your other kid died you could complete your fireplace mantle collection.

Yeah but your dick would still be tiny, and your girlfriend would still be a fat whore.

ICY
13th December 09, 09:47 PM
3 Things:

1) The MR2 is an awesome car.

2) The Camaro is also an awesome car with enough horsepower.

3) Sirc does, indeed, have a small penis, and OH MY FUCKING GOD DOES HIS GIRLFRIEND ACTUALLY POST HERE AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ajamil
13th December 09, 11:06 PM
3) Sirc does, indeed, have a small penis, and OH MY FUCKING GOD DOES HIS GIRLFRIEND ACTUALLY POST HERE AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

We have an elusive almost-pic of her too!

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/788/mini-IMG_4328.JPG

(The reflection in the glasses, not the small dick dude wearing them.)

Shotgun Christening
14th December 09, 06:12 AM
Yeah...I can see her.

http://i47.tinypic.com/11klaw6.jpg

Not my best work but Sirc doesnt really rate to much effort.

Ajamil
14th December 09, 06:24 AM
Uhm, you sure she isn't in the other lens? I think you just called Ian fat.

Shotgun Christening
14th December 09, 06:25 AM
Uhm, you sure she isn't in the other lens? I think you just called Ian fat.

Ian looks like he is wearing a dress.

Sirc
15th December 09, 09:42 PM
3 Things:

1) The MR2 is an awesome car.

2) The Camaro is also an awesome car with enough horsepower.

Dude. That Camaro had at most 185hp to the flywheel. With the shitty engineering used to create the drive train, I'm betting it has something like a 35% power loss just through the drivetrain.

My stock Impreza has 160hp and 160ft/lbs and weights 2000lbs less. That's not "enough horsepower" by any stretch.

Yeah but your dick would still be tiny, and your girlfriend would still be a fat whore.

lol, bonnykate is ~115lbs.

And no matter how many insults you try to throw my way, your kid is still dead. You can't bring it back. Chill.

FickleFingerOfFate
15th December 09, 10:05 PM
Can we stop talking about the 1970's Camaros like they were anything but what's left over of a once decent marque? The 70's Camaro is the only one that is affordable, and has an iota of nostalgia to someone under 40. Those of us who remember when those emissions choked vehicles wheezed about the planet, have no fond memories of them.

1) The last of the old muscle cars died in 1972.

2) All of the new muscle is better.

3) Sirc's girlfriend is not fat, she just appears massive when compared to his diminutive penis

4) These facts are not disputable.

Shotgun Christening
15th December 09, 10:30 PM
lol, bonnykate is ~115lb overweight

Fixed

Sirc
15th December 09, 11:50 PM
Can we stop talking about the 1970's Camaros like they were anything but what's left over of a once decent marque? The 70's Camaro is the only one that is affordable, and has an iota of nostalgia to someone under 40. Those of us who remember when those emissions choked vehicles wheezed about the planet, have no fond memories of them.

1) The last of the old muscle cars died in 1972.

2) All of the new muscle is better.

3) Sirc's girlfriend is not fat, she just appears massive when compared to his diminutive penis

4) These facts are not disputable.

Please.

The only muscle car was the GTO. Everything else was a Pony car.

Sirc
15th December 09, 11:50 PM
Fixed

Kid's still dead, lol.

ICY
16th December 09, 02:15 AM
Dude. That Camaro had at most 185hp to the flywheel. With the shitty engineering used to create the drive train, I'm betting it has something like a 35% power loss just through the drivetrain.

My stock Impreza has 160hp and 160ft/lbs and weights 2000lbs less. That's not "enough horsepower" by any stretch.

You make the mistake of thinking that I care what a stock Camaro had in it. Camaros were never meant to be left stock. That's just gay.

Don't let this interupt you from the awesome troll you've got going here though. Fine form.

Sirc
16th December 09, 02:18 AM
You make the mistake of thinking that I care what a stock Camaro had in it. Camaros were never meant to be left stock. That's just gay.

Don't let this interupt you from the awesome troll you've got going here though. Fine form.

No spots car was ever meant to be left stock. I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

ICY
16th December 09, 02:42 AM
I said a Camaro WITH ENOUGH HP was awesome. You responded that it sucked, stock.

A Chev 350 or 400 done up properly is a fucking awesome engine.

FickleFingerOfFate
16th December 09, 05:18 AM
Please.

The only muscle car was the GTO. Everything else was a Pony car.
Olds 442

Plymouth Roadrunner / GTX

Ford Fairlane 500

The pony cars were;
Mustang,
Camaro / Firebird,
AMX / Javelin,
and Challenger / 'Cuda.

Shotgun Christening
16th December 09, 06:11 AM
Olds 442

Agreed.

My neighbor when I was a kid growing up had one (maroon) and it was a sweet ride.

A Chev 350 or 400 done up properly is a fucking awesome engine.

Hell yeah. Put a Holley Double Pump Four Barrel on it and let that fucker run.

Kid's still dead, lol.

Doesnt change the fact that your girlfriend is a lard ass. I bet she has to buy two seats when she flies doesnt she?

ICY
17th December 09, 01:13 AM
oldman...you are failing badly.

She just isn't fat, at all. So you aren't being funny. I mean, couldn't you, like...talk about her having no boobs, or ass, or anything appealing? Or stick with the small penis jokes, those are sort of funny, because Sirc is asian and they're almost certainly true.

I mean, I really don't care either way, except that I enjoy laughing at you both, but seriously, you're trying too hard and sucking too much.

Commodore Pipes
30th December 09, 04:01 PM
oldman...you are failing badly.

She just isn't fat, at all. So you aren't being funny. I mean, couldn't you, like...talk about her having no boobs, or ass, or anything appealing? Or stick with the small penis jokes, those are sort of funny, because Sirc is asian and they're almost certainly true.

I mean, I really don't care either way, except that I enjoy laughing at you both, but seriously, you're trying too hard and sucking too much.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe you should go with how she is a soulless harpy and soon she will find someone better than Sirc, and he will be left crushed, if he was capable of feeling emotions like a normal white person can. kick it up a notch.

ICY
30th December 09, 05:08 PM
Even Sirc admits he is an Asian robot with no emotions...and he gets mad if you try to convince him otherwise.

FickleFingerOfFate
30th December 09, 10:21 PM
Even Sirc admits he is an Asian robot with no emotions...and he blows a gasket if you try to convince him otherwise.