PDA

View Full Version : I think I've died and gone to heaven: 15 yr old Cheddar

Steve
7th December 09, 09:19 PM
Sooo, are we doing the Sociocide Secret Santa thing again this year? I think I have just found what I want (and c'mon, $50/lb isn't too much to ask for 15 YEAR OLD cheddar, is it?).

But in all seriousness, this sounds too awesome, like I would sit and gain a whole pound because all that cheese would be in my stomach before I went to bed. I'm really REALLY hoping the cheese shop downtown will carry it, I am tempted to spring for a pound at $50, but the actual ordering of it from Hook's directly is a 5lb minimum (uh, sorry, I'll stick to dreaming about it, or buying a fncking plane ticket out to WI to try a bite at the factory for that price).

15-Year-Old Cheddar Best Enjoyed With Wine, Beer

Tony Hook of the Hook's Cheese Co. in Mineral Point, Wis., has some really sharp cheddar for sale: The 15-year-old cheese is being sold at $50 a pound just don't put it on your cheeseburger.

"I don't think you'd want to put it in your mac and cheese," Hook tells NPR's Michele Norris. "Cook it too long, and lose some of your flavors."

Hook says the cheese is flavorful and doesn't have the bitterness that one might expect from old cheddar.

"You'd probably just want to eat it by itself or with a fine wine or a good, hearty stout beer," he says.

Hook says his company has been aging cheddars for more than 20 years; the 15-year-old cheddar has been compared to a single-malt scotch.

"At the time we started, we weren't actually setting out to age anything for 15 years, I guess," he says. "But as we aged some of it out, and it was developing such good flavor, we decided we'd set some of it aside aged for 12 years, and then for 15 years."

By comparison, shredded cheddar available at the grocery store is between 1 and 3 months old.

Still, the 15-year-old cheese is not the oldest Hook has; it's merely the oldest he has for sale.

"I still have a few pounds left of ... the 17-year-old," he says, "but that's for personal consumption and for the family. ... I don't even have a label for it."

-------------------------------------

Link. (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121170861)

Hook's Cheese Company, Inc. website. (http://www.hookscheese.com/index.html)

Anyways, it's been a while since we've had a thread about cheese. Any good finds out there (by "good" I of course mean tasty and not costing a quarter day's wages just to try a slice)?

danno
7th December 09, 09:36 PM
that title got me all excited. until the last word.

Steve
7th December 09, 11:24 PM
You are a sick sick man if you were thinking anything besides cheese.

danno
7th December 09, 11:43 PM
i could have taken that to a sickening low. but i elected not to.

Steve
7th December 09, 11:57 PM
I know you could have, and thus you are redeemed.

Harpy
8th December 09, 12:09 AM
Steve, watch your mailbox!!! :)

nihilist
8th December 09, 01:34 AM
If it's 17 and smells like cheese.. er, uh... nvrmind.

Kein Haar
8th December 09, 02:03 AM
If it's 17 and smells like cheese.. er, uh... nvrmind.

It's probably HOG's douche nozzle.

Do you believe that guy just sent me a heart-felt PM about neg rep?

If that's happened to me before, I don't even remember the last time. :homo:

nihilist
8th December 09, 02:06 AM
He wants more neg rep?

All he need do is ask...

Kein Haar
8th December 09, 02:31 AM
He wants more nig rape?

All he need do is ask...

He lives in the bay area, so yes. But he'd call it "african-american".

Shawarma
8th December 09, 09:53 AM
I read it as "15 yr old cheerleader." I, too, am vaguely disappointed.

EvilSteve
8th December 09, 10:37 AM
Well, I was going to post some choice cheeses, but this seems to have become largely about raping 15 year old black girls from the Bay Area...

Steve
8th December 09, 10:57 AM
Well, I was going to post some choice cheeses, but this seems to have become largely about raping 15 year old black girls from the Bay Area...

Yes, and this is why we can never have nice things.

Kiko
8th December 09, 12:55 PM
B3KBuQHHKx0

Phrost
9th December 09, 06:44 PM
So this thread isn't about Glenn Beck?

HappyOldGuy
9th December 09, 06:48 PM
I like the neg rep. It smells like victory.

Cullion
9th December 09, 06:50 PM
what's this neg rep all about?

I think people should be encouraged to talk about their neg rep more. There should be no stigma.

HappyOldGuy
9th December 09, 07:01 PM
No stigma. Some people have the courage to put their opinions out there, let anyone who wants try to tear them down, and see who's standing at the end. That's the game I enjoy playing. It's why I come here.

Apparently it's a bit too rough for some ego's. They're too fragile for rough play.

The fact that this is in a cheese thread is why I love you all. Even Kein.

Harpy
9th December 09, 09:33 PM
As an aside, I bit my husband's finger really hard last night (because he accidently pushed my dislocated thumb). He was really mad and told me I was evil. He forgave me today, isn't that sweet?

I think it is a perfect analogy for rep.

resolve
9th December 09, 11:42 PM
what's this neg rep all about?

I think people should be encouraged to talk about their neg rep more. There should be no stigma.

But but but.... all my neg raep is from people totally not understanding what my post meant in the beginning (lack of reading comprehension) or my total "naivete" when it comes to life.

Wait a sec, this could be brilliant...

nihilist
10th December 09, 05:36 AM
Neg rep is like road rage and +rep is like making sweet love.
One should be done in full view of the public and the other should be done behind some screen of some sort cause seeing most people nakid is fukkin ugly.

Yiktin Voxbane
10th December 09, 10:30 AM
CHEAZE IZ JUST MILK THATZ GONN BaDD !!

Kiko
10th December 09, 03:03 PM
http://www.jasperfforde.com/specops/images/cheese_alert.jpg

Craigypooh
10th December 09, 05:36 PM
That's not a cheese shop. This is a cheese shop:

http://www.houseofcheese.co.uk/

Hedley LaMarr
5th January 10, 03:24 AM
I don't live all that far from Mineral Point. I'll be sauntering down that way later this month, so I'll pick some up.