PDA

View Full Version : How to tie together a Christmas Menu

Harpy
6th December 09, 09:54 PM
Boxing Day lunch
12-15 adults

I am having a difficult time putting together a menu. I'm not sure how to tie the entree, mains, dessert together (in terms of flavours, seasonality of produce). I'm thinking the below dishes but not sure if they flow along nicely, plus don't want to do anything heavy as it's a post Xmas lunch.

Entree:

* Blue cheese and caramelised onion tart

* Rocket salad with toasted walnuts, pinenuts and orange

Main:

* Roast vegetable stacks with baked pepper ricotta
* Lamb-based dish that my husband is going to prepare

Dessert:

* Chocolate pound cake with a vanilla ice cream and fresh berry layer

* Yoghurt cups (burnt honey and star anise or blueberry)
* Fruit and cheese platter

Does that all sound too random? :X

Kein Haar
6th December 09, 10:43 PM
Yes, it'll all probably taste like anise.

If nobody knows what that tastes like, ask NOB or Fes.

Good luck with that.

Harpy
6th December 09, 11:24 PM
Okay, I'll skip the honey/anise creams, they just looked awesome in the recipe book.

nihilist
7th December 09, 03:14 AM
Yes, it'll all probably taste like anus.

If nobody knows what that tastes like, ask NOB.

Ajamil
7th December 09, 06:16 AM
An entree and a main course? I thought the entree was the main. Did you mean appetizer?

Shotgun Christening
7th December 09, 06:39 AM

Good luck with that.

Agreed....anise is a spice thats best done in VERY SMALL amounts.

Harpy
7th December 09, 06:00 PM
I'm cutting out the whole anise dessert thing, and Arjuna, you're correct (it should be 'appetiser).

I'm canning the whole courses thing and just going for a relaxed buffet followed by dessert.

Shotgun Christening
7th December 09, 06:12 PM
I'm cutting out the whole anise dessert thing, and Arjuna, you're correct (it should be 'appetiser).

I'm canning the whole courses thing and just going for a relaxed buffet followed by dessert.

lazy....

Harpy
7th December 09, 06:27 PM
No, relaxed. My dinner parties are usually scary because I get really wound up and you'll hear glasses breaking in the kitchen. I hate guests that try to help me and I've known some friends to find my settings too formal.

Shotgun Christening
7th December 09, 06:41 PM
No, relaxed. My dinner parties are usually scary because I get really wound up and you'll hear glasses breaking in the kitchen. I hate guests that try to help me and I've known some friends to find my settings too formal.

riiiight.

:)

fes_fsa
7th December 09, 09:08 PM
Agreed....anise is a spice thats best done in VERY SMALL amounts.
i disagree. anise cookies are delicious.

lily, if you're gonna go heavy on the anise, do it at dessert. it freshens the breath, aids in digestion, and it goes good with tea. peppermint, if you're going by what you've posted--great lamb chaser.

Harpy
8th December 09, 12:06 AM
Thanks fes. If only the dumbasses on the thread would read properly I stated that it would be part of a dessert option :)

I am listening to you from now on!

Kein Haar
8th December 09, 01:43 AM
Reese is the only one, eh?

Figures.

nihilist
8th December 09, 01:53 AM
It's not like this stuff is rocket science folks.

EvilSteve
8th December 09, 12:11 PM
It's not like this stuff is rocket science folks.

Rocket science? I thought she said rocket salad?

nihilist
8th December 09, 07:57 PM
Her "rocket salad" sounds like a high-school science experiment involving crotch-sauce and a petri dish.

Harpy
8th December 09, 08:00 PM
Not far off, last night I made dinner for my husband. Some of the vegetables weren't cooked properly. Then I did a trial on the 'Blue cheese/onion tarts'...I managed to burn the puff pastry.

nihilist
8th December 09, 08:01 PM
Try greasing the "puff-pastry" first next time.

Harpy
8th December 09, 08:04 PM
Stop it Reese, you're making me laugh today :(

My husband has been laughing his head off at the menu I've written down and asked me if I can just buy everything and that he'd lie for me to my family/friends that I cooked it. Damn men!

nihilist
8th December 09, 08:06 PM
Cater that shit and spent the time you save blowing your hubby.

Harpy
8th December 09, 08:08 PM
But I really want to make it myself :( I'm not that bad, seriously, the cake + ice cream will turn out perfect as will the puff pastry because I know what to do now (turn the oven down to 180 instead of 200 degrees and only bake it for 12 minutes, not 25). Plus I've decided to top the tarts with a cherry tomato to freshen the dish.

He's covered for the other stuff.

Steve
8th December 09, 08:22 PM
Apparently Lily loves your poetry more than I thought, Nun.

Harpy
8th December 09, 08:32 PM
I know what I have to do.

fes_fsa
8th December 09, 09:35 PM
christmas is 3 weeks away--you've got time to practice and polish your technique.

if you're burning things, you either need to adjust the heat, the time, or you might even just have to change the pan you're using. also, you might want to consider your location--certain things cook differently in different altitudes.

i suggest making single serve trial and error dishes. set up a step by step list, then write down any changes you make, crossing out anything that doesn't work. once you get your recipe the way you want it, make the dish one last time to make sure that it's right. then put your notes away and stop worrying about them until christmas. :)

Harpy
8th December 09, 09:56 PM
Thanks babe, I'm really not that bad in the kitchen. I've written up run sheets for the 24 hours leading up to the day as well as the timing of things on the day. I like your idea of the single serve trials, started last night and already tweaked it (I knew when I looked at the oven that they were done in half the time but as the recipe said 25 minutes I thought I'd let them keep baking...will retry this evening). Am doing the burnt honey and anise cream cups tonight.

My husband's dish will be perfect because he's done it before and is good in the kitchen, I'm confident about the ice cream layered cake.

resolve
9th December 09, 03:15 AM

Good luck with that.

Anise tastes slightly like a spicy liquorice. It's quite tasty.

For a rum-chicken meal with 2-3 servings I cook I'll put 2-4 really tiny seeds in and that's all you need really for all that flavor to come popping through.

Also, anise tastes wonderful in hot toddies :)

nihilist
9th December 09, 04:43 AM
Who sits on Licorice?
Honestly?

resolve
9th December 09, 06:03 AM
*sigh*

Kiko
9th December 09, 07:58 AM
... and all of this is on the front page???

CHEDDAR PLZ!!

nihilist
9th December 09, 11:25 AM
*sigh*

*blink*
*pout*

Ajamil
10th December 09, 01:04 AM
It's not whoring if it's food!Cater that shit and spent the time you save blowing your hubby.
Don't give up Lily! Parvati will bless you.
Edit: You think it should be Draupadi? She has more food stories about her.

Am doing the burnt honey Isn't there some danger in cooking honey?