PDA

View Full Version : Prince of Persia - now with less Persians!

partyboy
3rd November 09, 04:42 PM
Z8EA7EbFX4k

...why are they british?

don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch this but it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the turn-back-time aspect of the dagger

Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a street urchin in 6th century Persia. After showing valor in battle, he is adopted by the king as his heir, so the king's two sons will not fight over the throne. He teams up with Princess Tamina (Gemma Arterton) to rescue the Sands of Time, a gift from the gods that controls time, from the hands of the villainous nobleman, Nizam (Ben Kingsley)

Feryk
3rd November 09, 06:18 PM
In Hollywood, it's okay to make a movie about Godless Heathens...so long as there aren't any actual heathens in it.

danno
3rd November 09, 07:57 PM
arabs are hell unpopular right now. so that's out of the question.

but a british accent can signify a kind of medieval grandness, knights and castles and chivalry. and any foreign accent makes it all sound a bit more exotic. which the film requires since it's set in persia.

i'm still slightly surprised they went with british over american accents, even to the point of making the american actors put it on.

i wouldn't be surprised if this film makes a lot of people think that persia was once a place somehwere in europe or even england itself.

socratic
3rd November 09, 08:26 PM
It looks like a mashup of all three Sands games, minus the actual plot of the Sands games.

Lame.

danno
3rd November 09, 08:54 PM
It looks like a mashup of all three Sands games, minus the actual plot of the Sands games.

Lame.

that's how game to movies are usually done. yeah, it's fucking lame.

WarPhalange
3rd November 09, 08:58 PM
arabs are hell unpopular right now. so that's out of the question.

Sure, but they can still keep the Persians at least.

danno
3rd November 09, 09:12 PM
what are you, some kind of terrorist sympathiser?

they need to be exotic. but not too exotic. otherwise the audience won't symapthise with the characters. so they need to be caucasian.

the artwork of the original prince of persia game was based more on this kind of thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3f/Jami_Rose_Garden.jpg

i won't play another PoP game or watch the movie until they bring that shit back.

resolve
3rd November 09, 09:20 PM
Silly.

He was pointing out how Persians are not Arabs. I worked with a Persian man at Fed Ex. He looked foreign but I couldn't put my thumb on what it was. I eventually asked him and he told me he was Persian and a 3rd generation American although his parents were 100% Persian as were his kids. His name was David :)

danno
3rd November 09, 09:23 PM
looked foreign

there's the problem.

socratic
3rd November 09, 09:52 PM
The Iranians are Persians.

Thus why no Persians would probably appear in the film.

socratic
3rd November 09, 09:56 PM
Notice how when he grabs the dagger his arm goes all Dark Prince-y like in PoP3? There's also the bladed chain-whip the Dark Prince uses after Queen Bitch cuts him up with it.

Looks like there'll be no Sand Monsters. LAME. What's the problem with having the Dagger and the Sand about if there's no sand-possessed psychotics trying to off everyone?

danno
3rd November 09, 10:52 PM
CAN'T STOP THE POP

SjiObmXtuGg

resolve
4th November 09, 06:12 AM
there's the problem.

Well, he didn't look like any of the "normal" descendants of the various races with large populations present in the US (Hispanic, Anglo, African, Native, Hindi, etc...).

However, snipe noted.

danno
4th November 09, 06:35 AM
Well, he didn't look like any of the "normal" descendants of the various races with large populations present in the US (Hispanic, Anglo, African, Native, Hindi, etc...).

i suppose he looked almost a little interracial. but still more caucasian than anything.

However, snipe noted.

snipe noted? what does that mean?

resolve
4th November 09, 10:48 AM
You made a funny snipe at me. Just saying I caught on :).