PDA

View Full Version : new mad max film in production!

danno
23rd October 09, 10:40 PM
Australian film director George Miller says pre-production work will start next week on the latest Mad Max film, which will be produced in New South Wales.

Thirty years after the release of the original Mad Max, Miller is preparing to head out west to shoot Fury Road, the fourth instalment of the popular franchise.

Filming on Fury Road will begin in New South Wales in August 2010.

And casting for the lead role is already underway, with the big question being whether Mel Gibson is set to return as the star.

Miller is staying tight-lipped about who he would like to take the lead, however it is rumoured Australian Sam Worthington and South African actress Charlize Theron will star.

"It could be Mel, it could be anyone, in fact I'm looking around at these faces to see if anyone's quite interesting here," Miller said.

NSW Premier Nathan Rees was even offered the role.

"What about you do you want it? Sorry, you'd have to get your hair cut," Miller said to Rees.

Even though he might not get that star role, Mr Rees is quick to add the project is an important boost for the state's economy, as well as the local film industry.

"The Mad Max films are iconic and the latest instalment Fury Road will be made right here in NSW," he said.

"In the hands of director George Miller, we will see one of the largest and most ambitious live action films ever made in Australia."

Mr Rees says the production is an important boost for the state's economy, creating around 540 jobs over two-and-a-half years.

"Times have been tough for our local industry and I am pleased that our assistance from the Film and Television Industry Attraction Fund helped secure this film for NSW," he said.

'Like football'

Miller launched his career with Max Max in 1979, and has since gone on to direct box office hit Happy Feet and produced Babe.

He says this is an important step for the Australian film industry.

"Hollywood has cut its production in half. Big movies like Fury Road and Happy Feet are rare and competitively sought after in all the filmmaking regions of the world," Miller said.

"The production agreements have been a long time in the making and Premier Rees and his team have worked like Trojans to ensure this substantial investment comes into this country.

"These are complex and challenging films and funding them is a big leap of faith by Warner Bros. Not only does it help fuel the local economy but it means many talented people get a chance to practise their craft and lift their skills.

"Making movies is like football. How can you achieve excellence if you get to play only once in a blue moon?"

CarriageWorks, based in Sydney's Redfern, will be used for development work on Fury Road, as well as a motion capture studio for Miller's upcoming Happy Feet 2.

Around 30 weeks of the filming of Fury Road will take place in and around Broken Hill.

The original Mad Max was filmed in Victoria, Mad Max 2 was filmed around Broken Hill and the third Mad Max was shot in Coober Pedy, South Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/24/2723077.htm

it's going to be filmed in the area i used to live as a young kid. hope they don't fuck it up.

Dark Helmet
23rd October 09, 10:58 PM
Unless it's Mel in the staring role I just don't see the point of watching it.

100xobm
23rd October 09, 10:59 PM
I am so aroused right now.
Nothing in the history of film beat the truck scene in mad max 2.

That's right. Fuck You Hitchcock. You Heard Me.

::EDIT::

actually read the article now,
Yeah, I agree with Dark Helmet.

I might add that I expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd October 09, 11:23 PM
He will need to suck long and hard to rid my nutsack of the poison that is Auntie Entity

TheLordHumungus
23rd October 09, 11:41 PM
Why do I continue to set myself up for disappointment?

Despite being let down by a lot of films recently, I'm still psyched for this one.

danno
24th October 09, 12:00 AM
it'll be at least 3 years before this is out... that's a long time to wait and be disappointed.

Ajamil
24th October 09, 12:57 AM
Wait, you people want Mel in the lead role? He's not Max anymore. He's not the Road Warrior. The big thing is hoping against hope that they don't try to have Max star. Let the great story end and a new one begin in the same universe.

danno
24th October 09, 01:19 AM
fuck mel, they should give me the lead role.

Neildo
24th October 09, 02:21 AM
why not use mel? he's perfect for the role, unless they're doing a prequel, because all that time wandering the wastelands would make max fucking old and craggy and batshit crazy. mel is awesome.

elipson
24th October 09, 09:36 AM
Wait, you people want Mel in the lead role? He's not Max anymore. He's not the Road Warrior. The big thing is hoping against hope that they don't try to have Max star. Let the great story end and a new one begin in the same universe.

Look how well it worked for Star Wars.

Ming Loyalist
24th October 09, 10:00 AM
why not use mel? he's perfect for the role, unless they're doing a prequel, because all that time wandering the wastelands would make max fucking old and craggy and batshit crazy. mel is awesome.

especially if they could work in a scene where max gets pulled over and gets into one of his drunken anti-semetic rants.

24th October 09, 10:06 AM
it'll be at least 3 years before this is out... that's a long time to wait and be disappointed.

He's waited his whole life disappointed.

TheLordHumungus
24th October 09, 10:52 AM
Nah, ppl haven't disappointed me my whole life. Just once in a while.

mrblackmagic
24th October 09, 10:58 AM
Five bucks says it ends being Sam Worthington.

24th October 09, 11:01 AM
Well, he IS the flavor of the month.

Ajamil
24th October 09, 11:28 AM
Look how well it worked for Star Wars.

Those were prequels! Totally different!! They made dark, evil Vader into the poster boy for emos. The only comparison would be to have Max as a teen learning valuable lessons on life and love.

Shawarma
24th October 09, 12:16 PM
Fuck this movie. Let old movie franchises die already!

Say, has anyone seen A Boy And His Dog? It's a post-apocalyptic movie from the 70ies, only it's written by Harlan Ellison, so you know it's going to be as genuinely gruesome as a post-apocalyptic wasteland would be. It's fucking awesome.

DerAuslander108
24th October 09, 12:40 PM
I heard Shiah Lebouf is in casting.

Shawarma
24th October 09, 12:42 PM
Excellent choice, he has precisely the kind of grizzled manliness the part demands.

Ajamil
24th October 09, 01:01 PM
He's the son of the gyrocopter pilot.

Cullion
24th October 09, 02:07 PM
This needs old, craggy, bearded, batshit-insane mel one last time. He should try and work in some screwed-up violent Christian theme into it too.

Instead of 'The Road Warrior', this one should be taglined 'The Preacher'.

http://www.beliefnet.com/imgs/tout/story/MelGibsonArrest.jpg

I can really see it.

Ajamil
24th October 09, 03:12 PM
That movie's comin out with Denzel already. Max needs to have wandered so long in the desert he's fried his brain and is just sputtering and limping and is run over in the first scene.

CoffeeFan
24th October 09, 03:49 PM
I say it's never going to happen

bob
24th October 09, 04:49 PM
fuck mel, they should give me the lead role.

I don't know about that but I'd put Arhetton in as the 'copter pilot.

danno
24th October 09, 07:50 PM
LOL!

i heard an interview with the feral kid who threw the boomerang. he's now a jeweller in melbourne.

OZZ
26th October 09, 03:53 PM
MEL WON'T BE PLAYING MAD MAX AGAIN.AS LONG AS THE STORY IS GOOD, WHO CARES?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th October 09, 04:01 PM
Max needs to have wandered so long in the desert he's fried his brain and is just sputtering and limping and is run over in the first scene.

cue heavy blues music and a pan over some bitchin car welded up with iron plating and some guy with like a mohawk driving it.

then he gets shot by like a sniper and rams into a cliff

sniper gets stabbed at a bar

basically the entire opening credits are a bunch of people killing each other until we land on the main character

Marrt
26th October 09, 08:54 PM
Mad Max getting into a Furry Road
http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/beaver1.jpg

SFGOON
26th October 09, 09:29 PM
Why do I continue to set myself up for disappointment?

Despite being let down by a lot of films recently, I'm still psyched for this one.

You especially will be disappointed by this, I suspect.

I hear they tapped Jar-Jar Binks for the lead supporting role.

TheLordHumungus
26th October 09, 10:05 PM
^ At this point it would only seem right.

Ajamil
26th October 09, 10:15 PM
Jar Jar the character, or the actor who played Jar Jar? I'm not certain which would be worse.

SFGOON
26th October 09, 10:53 PM
I don't know. What I do know is they asked Ike Turner to beat the shit out of the Thunderdome lady, but were shocked to hear he had died years ago.

danno
26th October 09, 10:59 PM
George Miller Talks Mad Max, Cars and Mel Gibson (http://screencrave.com/2009-10-26/george-miller-talks-mad-max-cars-and-mel-gibson/)

Ajamil
26th October 09, 11:17 PM
Idiot website has no transcription, and the vid isn't playing. grr.

danno
26th October 09, 11:55 PM
i'll find another video later. it's ripped off the australian ABC site so it'll be there somewhere.

danno
27th October 09, 03:28 AM
they've put the video on the original link i've posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/24/2723077.htm

click "Video: Mad Max director on cars and stars (ABC News)" under the photo of a car getting smashed.

EDIT

pfff, here it is on youtube.

xmic1AUDyaU

Kein Haar
27th October 09, 11:57 PM
Gotta stay with Mel.

Some sort analogue to Rocky Balboa.

Show what a "natural death" in post apocolpytica is like. Mainly alone.

bob
28th October 09, 12:00 AM
And kill Mel for reel as well. Double win.

Ajamil
28th October 09, 02:36 AM
Gotta stay with Mel.

Some sort analogue to Rocky Balboa.

Show what a "natural death" in post apocolpytica is like. Mainly alone.

Mad Max Omega? I could see it.

jkdbuck76
28th October 09, 11:22 AM
I heard Shiah Lebouf is in casting.

Can't be. Speilberg isn't the one directing Fury Road.

TheLordHumungus
29th October 09, 12:00 AM
I don't know. What I do know is they asked Ike Turner to beat the shit out of the Thunderdome lady, but were shocked to hear he had died years ago.

Please, nobody could conceivably be shocked at news of Ike Turner's death. That tidbit alone destroys credibility.

Ajamil
29th October 09, 08:55 AM
This lady should get a part in the new film.

TW5D66rhh2k

29th October 09, 10:56 AM
This lady should get a part in the new film.

TW5D66rhh2k

That's no lady, that's TheLordHumongous

TheLordHumungus
30th October 09, 05:23 PM
So I like to hang out under podiums indulging my GMILF fetish. Is that a crime?