PDA

View Full Version : How do informal gathering?

MSphinx
9th October 09, 01:43 PM
So I'm going to an informal gathering, kind of a meet and greet with some higher execs of this big company I want to work for, and I want to make an impression.

I know how to look good for an interview, and I know how to look good for a formal gathering, but this is a function at a club. I'll need to dress as if I was just on a night out rather than going in for an interview, so the look has to be effortless.

Any ideas?

HappyOldGuy
9th October 09, 02:03 PM
Business casual, but with a really nice strongly colored shirt. Also, darker (blue/black) slacks, maybe cuffed.

EvilSteve
9th October 09, 02:08 PM
What are they likely to be wearing? As a rule, folks tend to like folks who remind them of themselves.

However, so long as you look presentable, what's going to matter far more is how well you can schmooze with them. If at all possible, find out something personal about them- do they like music? what kind? do they like art? who / what? Foodie? Play sports?

I got in with my department head at a job because we both liked Peter Gabriel, and 10 years later when he was CIO at another company, he remembered me because of the conversation.

Ajamil
9th October 09, 02:15 PM
The only thing I could add to this is still wear your nice shoes.

Spade: The Real Snake
9th October 09, 02:18 PM
What type of industry are we speaking of and what is your place within the corporate hierarchy?

Steve
9th October 09, 02:24 PM
The only thing I could add to this is still wear your nice shoes.

Some classy heels. Works like a charm.

Ajamil
9th October 09, 02:53 PM
Must spread rep around...

And how do you know about my heels?! Do you know about the ones with straps or the ones that just show the toes?

9th October 09, 02:57 PM
espadrilles would probably be easier on your feet if you are going to be standing around for extended periods of time

MSphinx
9th October 09, 03:35 PM
What type of industry are we speaking of and what is your place within the corporate hierarchy?

An engineering firm with offices around the globe. I'm only going to be an engineer and not a businessman. I'd like a senior position in the design team, if not team leader just yet.

It's a pretty male dominated industry so I've no chance to seduce any cougar bosses.

9th October 09, 03:41 PM
Where is this event occuring:

at the office
at a conference
at a trade show
at a charity event

and

how much interaction have you previously had with the corporate reps?

bob
9th October 09, 05:14 PM
Black pants and white shirt. You can't go too far wrong with that when you're carrying a tray of drinks all night.

Feryk
9th October 09, 05:15 PM
He said it's at a club.

Dress clean. What I mean is something with clean lines, not overly flashy, not overly casual. Think designer jacket without the tie, but a cool shirt. Looks nice, but not overkill. Good luck.

Feryk
9th October 09, 05:18 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_41_dress-business-casual.html

Try this as a starting point.

9th October 09, 05:22 PM
He said it's at a club.

Dress clean. What I mean is something with clean lines, not overly flashy, not overly casual. Think designer jacket without the tie, but a cool shirt. Looks nice, but not overkill. Good luck.

A club could mean:

The Lion's Club
A Golf Country Club
A Night At The Roxbury Club
The "End-Up" Club

The manner of dress varies greatly depending on the specific type of "Club"

Cullion
9th October 09, 05:28 PM
Listen to HOG's advice and if you drink alcohol make a point of having another drink just slightly less often than the slowest drinker amongst the execs you are meeting.

FickleFingerOfFate
9th October 09, 07:07 PM
On the subject of drinks;

I usually drink Captain Morgan and Diet Coke with a lime wedge.

After 1 or 2 depending on the environment,
I will go to just Diet Coke with the lime wedge.

That way, even if someone hands you another drink, you can control the pace.

It's a great tactic when you want to be social around people you don't want to be inebriated around.

SFGOON
9th October 09, 07:55 PM
Colored polo shirt and flat front pants.

If you're not in great shape, wear a sports jacket with it.

Talk about how much you love golf/yachts/whatever kind of club it is, really kiss some ass. Yak about what a great venue it is.

If you're smart, you'll kiss the ass of the new junior executive who no-one else kisses the ass of. He'll remember you for it. Kind of like going for the 8/10 girl when there's an obvious 10/10 in the room.

socratic
9th October 09, 08:41 PM
Except don't go too overboard, because even bosses don't like sycophants.

HappyOldGuy
9th October 09, 09:17 PM
Flat versus pleated is about body type. The rule of thumb is fat = pleats. But I actually like them even though I'm on the thin side because they make my ass look good.

9th October 09, 10:10 PM
Really, we need more intel on WTF is going on and WTF it is occuring.

You will wind up either overdressed and looking like a suckass or underdressed and looking like a fucking slob.

The chance of being spot-on, since you are asking the interwebs for help, is slim.

And pleats = Hammerpants

Arhetton
9th October 09, 11:03 PM
just a comment about fashion in general - make sure what you're wearing fits you well.

Even if you dress appropriately but the clothes are kind of loose and don't sit on you well, you don't cut a good figure.

I'm quite tall and thin and I've started to have my professional clothes fitted. It does make a significant difference.

wear something to emphasize your shoulders (make them appear broad) and your height.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FfwEM8e0h28/Se5zSsdoPrI/AAAAAAAAAK4/YOZgrIOO6-g/s400/fitted-suit.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/ESQ0209FASHION003-lg-86258332.jpg

TheMightyMcClaw
9th October 09, 11:23 PM
And pleats = Hammerpants

I was actually going to recommend wearing Hammerpants.
http://crossroadstrading.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/mc-hammer.jpg

This way, you won't just blend in with the rest of the shmucks.

Ajamil
10th October 09, 12:39 AM
Don't forget your entourage, huge fur coat, and mirrored sunglasses as well.

Where's MJS in all of this? Suits and slacks too manly for his taste?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th October 09, 06:05 PM
I'm still borrowing computers.

I can't add much except: if you own a party-friendly suit, don't be afraid to wear it. It should be fitted without getting tight anywhere and it shouldn't look like something you go to work in. Skip the tie, whether you can leave your collar and the jacket open is up to you.

If you don't have a suit you can work dress pants and a sports coat. but don't let them look like a suit surrogate. Or you can put a wool coat or some kind of jacket on top. Most leather jackets that aren't perfectos should work too.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th October 09, 06:10 PM
wear something to emphasize your shoulders (make them appear broad) and your height.]

Don't let the shoulder pads extend past your shoulders, and let the rest of the jacket fall close without getting tight or restricting your arm movement (this last one is also a function of how well the jacket was made). Sleeves should end just before the cuffs of your shirt, roughly above your wristbone. Sleeves with real buttons are nicer than sleeves with non-functional buttons. The inseam of your pants should be as high as comfortably possible without making your fucking testicles show. Fit of the legs in up to you but should err towards slim. Straight leg will slim the whole leg but tapered will be more forgiving if the length is too long. Pants should be long enough for only a very slight break at the most.

Kiko
12th October 09, 10:23 AM
Chain mail FTW!

http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Chain%20Mail%20Shirt%20&%20Coif.jpg

TheMightyMcClaw
12th October 09, 05:10 PM
Chain mail FTW!

http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Chain%20Mail%20Shirt%20&%20Coif.jpg

Holy shit, someone beat me to it.

12th October 09, 05:15 PM
http://historyshop.piratemerch.com/images/100530_highwaymans_coat.jpg

French Highwayman coat and leather tri-corner hat FTW

Ajamil
12th October 09, 05:59 PM
So this informal meeting is a brotherhood thing, then?

http://dorukakan.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/brotherhood_of_the_wolf.jpg

Feryk
13th October 09, 02:57 PM
^ I've actually seen that movie. Give it a miss.

Ajamil
14th October 09, 10:58 AM
They use a chain sword. A bone one if I remember correctly. It's silly cool.

Lights Out
14th October 09, 04:25 PM
They use a chain sword. A bone one if I remember correctly. It's silly cool.

Confirmed.

I don't know how that hasn't found its way into a D&D manual.

Dark Helmet
14th October 09, 04:48 PM
My advice. Don't be yourself.

So I'm going to an informal gathering, kind of a meet and greet with some higher execs of this big company I want to work for, and I want to make an impression.

Business casual, but with a really nice strongly colored shirt. Also, darker (blue/black) slacks, maybe cuffed.

cMVvTl83gWg