PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Lackey

TheMightyMcClaw
1st October 09, 11:28 PM
Specifically, her book Oathbound, which I just finished.
For those of you unfamiliar with Mercedes Lackey, she basically writes Conan the Barbarian style sword-and-sorcery pulp aimed at 14 year old girls. As one of my friend's on Facebook put it, "fated-love-magic-horses-love-magic-happiness-magic-love."
And you know what? I goddamn enjoyed every page of it. The story follows two female adventurers, a (get this) swordswoman and (get this too) a sorceress. I know, revolutionary. I told you it was sword-and-sorcery pulp. The two share a magic of bond of Homeboys For Life, and have what I can only describe as a lesbian bromance. It's really quite charming.
The book has nothing which can be described as an overarching plot; instead, it reads like an expert from a lengthy serial of short stories (the rest of that serial is presumably the rest of the books in the trilogy) describing the heroines' quest for money, fame, horses, fame, money, fame, helping people in need, and money.
There a number of cool little plot devices and scenes which I enjoyed quite thoroughly; the swordswoman, for example, comes from a tribe of nomads who's deceased warriors stick around as spirits to train the next generation of fighters. As such, she is periodically ambushed by ghosts demanding to fence with her. In one scene in the book, the sorceress is kidnapped by an old enemy of hers, and said enemy promptly realizes that he has know idea what to do with a kidnapped sorceress besides hide from her and try not to get lit on fire.
So yeah. These books, despite all odds, are fucking awesome. I'm picking up the rest of the series next time I go to the used book store.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Harpy
2nd October 09, 02:13 AM
:) Brings back memories of being 14 (you hit the nail on the head with the age group there). Read the series more than a decade ago and remember that it was an entertaining read.

JohnnyCache
2nd October 09, 02:21 AM
too much gay politics is as bad as not enough tolerance if you ask me.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 09, 05:42 AM
Specifically, her book Oathbound, which I just finished.
For those of you unfamiliar with Mercedes Lackey, she basically writes Conan the Barbarian style sword-and-sorcery pulp aimed at 14 year old girls. As one of my friend's on Facebook put it, "fated-love-magic-horses-love-magic-happiness-magic-love."
And you know what? I goddamn enjoyed every page of it. The story follows two female adventurers, a (get this) swordswoman and (get this too) a sorceress. I know, revolutionary. I told you it was sword-and-sorcery pulp. The two share a magic of bond of Homeboys For Life, and have what I can only describe as a lesbian bromance. It's really quite charming.
The book has nothing which can be described as an overarching plot; instead, it reads like an expert from a lengthy serial of short stories (the rest of that serial is presumably the rest of the books in the trilogy) describing the heroines' quest for money, fame, horses, fame, money, fame, helping people in need, and money.
There a number of cool little plot devices and scenes which I enjoyed quite thoroughly; the swordswoman, for example, comes from a tribe of nomads who's deceased warriors stick around as spirits to train the next generation of fighters. As such, she is periodically ambushed by ghosts demanding to fence with her. In one scene in the book, the sorceress is kidnapped by an old enemy of hers, and said enemy promptly realizes that he has know idea what to do with a kidnapped sorceress besides hide from her and try not to get lit on fire.
So yeah. These books, despite all odds, are fucking awesome. I'm picking up the rest of the series next time I go to the used book store.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Have you read the other two in the series? Oathblood and....I cant remember the other one.
*edit* nevermind I see now that you havent....

There is a companion music CD to this series. I know this because I have heard the music at a Convention some years ago. Not my thing, but not bad when you are sitting around drinking beer with 21-26 year old women clad in corsets and chainmail.

FickleFingerOfFate
2nd October 09, 02:41 PM
but not bad when you are sitting around drinking beer with 21-26 year old women clad in corsets and chainmail.

I don't need visuals of you sitting around in a chainmail and a corset.

And, no, the image is not mitigated by the girls half your age.

Kiko
2nd October 09, 02:44 PM
I'll stick with Fritz Leiber's 'Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser' series.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 09, 04:19 PM
I don't need visuals of you sitting around in a chainmail and a corset.

And, no, the image is not mitigated by the girls half your age.

Goddamitt. How could I have made such a rookie mistake.

hahahahaha. The girls were clad in corsets and chainmail. Not me. Also, 21 is not half my age. Is wasnt at the time either. more like 30% of my age.

BTW, the kids like you avatar. They just watched the Muppets at MGM/Hollywood/Disney Studios last week.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 09, 04:22 PM
I'll stick with Fritz Leiber's 'Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser' series.

I believe Gary Gygax "borrowed" many of the ideas from these books for D&D. He credited the books with sparking his imagination at a Convention Panel he was one one time.
They are a good read especially given the time period they were written.