PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Are

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 09, 05:09 AM
Why isn't there a thread for this movie yet? I think it's cause you guys are secretly afraid that this movie will suck. I'm not.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/buttnuggets.jpg

le blog (http://weloveyouso.com/)
le officiel website (http://wherethewildthingsare.warnerbros.com/)

bob
1st October 09, 05:14 AM
I actually thought about it. It's not coming out here until December. Very excited. This was my favourite book as a kid and one of my son's favourites now. The stills look very good.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 09, 05:26 AM
OST is available
for purchase or piracy

EvilSteve
1st October 09, 07:44 AM
Despite obviously fantastic art direction and a soundtrack featuring Arcade Fire, I believe this movie will suck a big bag of dicks.

Yep, a big bag of dicks. Why? Because there isn't enough material in Sendak's original book to adapt for film, and I don't trust a big studio to come up with a story that doesn't suck.

But you know, if you go stoned off your ass, it'll prolly look pretty cool.

jubei33
1st October 09, 09:03 AM
hopefully it won't destroy a little piece of my childhood.

Kiko
1st October 09, 09:46 AM
You guys just wanna wear footsy jammies again.. admit it! WITH the trapdoor!

Kiko
1st October 09, 10:19 AM
What are the odds that you were the first to make such a comment??

EuropIan
1st October 09, 11:21 AM
Arcade Fire are good

DEKC5pyOKFU

UpaLumpa
1st October 09, 11:37 AM
hopefully it won't destroy a little piece of my childhood.

Go to a bookstore, grab a copy of the book, read it (don't buy it).

It will take less than five minutes.
The book sucks and does a poor job of even sucking.

The only halfway okay thing about the book are some of the drawings.

The only reason any of us are nostalgic about this is because we haven't even looked at the book since we were 3. Ironically it is probably below the reading level expected for most 3 year olds.

Despite obviously fantastic art direction and a soundtrack featuring Arcade Fire, I believe this movie will suck a big bag of dicks.

Yep, a big bag of dicks. Why? Because there isn't enough material in Sendak's original book to adapt for film, and I don't trust a big studio to come up with a story that doesn't suck.

This is completely the correct response.
The Sendak book is vapid, shallow and devoid of anything that could be made into a decent movie.

This will look pretty but will suck.

CoffeeFan
1st October 09, 11:39 AM
Well the trailer makes it look amazing, but like everyone said who knows about the plot.

SsZXKLtDb-k

UpaLumpa
1st October 09, 11:54 AM
There were more words in the first 30 seconds of that trailer than in the entire book.

I also think that the book was the impetus for the entire furry fetish. Wild rumpus, fur piles etc.

Also, barf at stupid utopian concepts.

Spade: The Real Snake
1st October 09, 12:01 PM
I refer you all to the live action versions of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Cat In The Hat".

HappyOldGuy
1st October 09, 12:08 PM
^^^Other perfectly safe and happy bits of my childhood that are still intact because I didn't expose them to the shitty remakes.

1st October 09, 12:27 PM
^^^Other perfectly safe and happy bits of my childhood that are still intact because I didn't expose them to the shitty remakes.

I refused to watch either of those buckets of shit and would happily beat Mike Meyers to death with Jim Carrey if given half an opportunity.

HappyOldGuy
1st October 09, 12:28 PM
I refused to watch either of those buckets of shit and would happily beat Mike Meyers to death with Jim Carrey if given half an opportunity.

See how much happier you are.

UpaLumpa
1st October 09, 12:30 PM
I refer you all to the live action versions of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Cat In The Hat".

Never saw either.
I'd ask you this though, have you reread Where the wild things are?

Green Eggs and Ham has more of a story.

1st October 09, 12:35 PM
Never saw either.
Me you and HOG, we'll start a club.

I'd ask you this though, have you reread Where the wild things are?
Yeah, and we have a couple other Sendak books in the house. The guy is a phenomenal artist, but his best work is collaborating with another writer, as opposed to his own work.

Really, the artwork is half the enjoyment of the book and it is mostly appealing for the use of imagination aspect.

Green Eggs and Ham has more of a story.

Their is deep-seeded meaning in all Giesel's work.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 09, 02:57 PM

Counterpoint: A Series of Unfortunate Events

HappyOldGuy
1st October 09, 03:05 PM
Counterpoint: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Counterpoint how? It sucked and it wasn't a remake?

1st October 09, 03:27 PM
^^^^
what he said.

And read Bill Peet.

EuropIan
1st October 09, 03:59 PM
Forest Whitaker is in it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st October 09, 04:06 PM
And Spike Jonze is directing. Stanley Kubrik could come back from the dead on collaborate on a re-make of Metamorphises and you faggots would still knee-jerkingly predict its sucktitude.

UpaLumpa
1st October 09, 04:12 PM
If you're referring to the Kafka story, yes it would suck as a full length feature.

1st October 09, 06:58 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/33vi4nr.jpg

bob
1st October 09, 08:31 PM
- I like the Spike Jonze movies I've seen. John Malkovich was one of the movies of the decade.
- Jonz allegedly won his fight with the studio to have his own vision respected
- Sendak is reportedly very happy with the finished product
- They haven't wasted money on a Big Star, nor is it a Big Star Vehicle.
- This movie is only peripherally aimed at our demographic anyway
- As to the lack of plot (and yes, I've read it about twice a week every week for at least a year) um, it's a kids picture book. It's lead me to have very long conversations with my 3 year old about imagination and why we have it and why Max needed to use his. Just because a movie is inspired by source material and doesn't slavishly copy it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to suck.
- I will reserve judgement until I've actually seen it.

resolve
2nd October 09, 01:25 AM
I'd still watch it.

EuropIan
2nd October 09, 02:22 AM
If you're referring to the Kafka story, yes it would suck as a full length feature.

But a musical would be awesome
8uaaF83eVig

jvjim
2nd October 09, 02:36 AM
But a musical would be awesome
8uaaF83eVig
Brendon's idea was better.

Kein Haar
2nd October 09, 07:16 AM
There were more words in the first 30 seconds of that trailer than in the entire book.

I also think that the book was the impetus for the entire furry fetish. Wild rumpus, fur piles etc.

Also, barf at stupid utopian concepts.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wh_kl3eL6Jo/R2u1rRQItOI/AAAAAAAAADE/kSkMTqRd-yo/15122007271.jpg

CoffeeFan
2nd October 09, 10:21 AM
Furries! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

UpaLumpa
2nd October 09, 12:28 PM
Furries: The real meaning of Where the Wild things are.

Ajamil
2nd October 09, 12:50 PM
Where the Wild Things Are is a good book for a child. The story needs to be small (shallow), as well as sentence structure (vapid), and much of it was indeed about the artwork.

I agree there's nothing there to make a movie off of (though it's a starting point for someone else to come up with a good story), but that doesn't mean that the book "sucks and does a poor job even at sucking" considering it's intention.

If you wish, since me mah still owns it, I'll read it this weekend, along with all the other kid books kept from when I and my brothers were for our kids to enjoy tomorrow. Shouldn't take long.

Going to make me look foolish on the current books thread, though...

UpaLumpa
2nd October 09, 01:10 PM
I agree there's nothing there to make a movie off of (though it's a starting point for someone else to come up with a good story), but that doesn't mean that the book "sucks and does a poor job even at sucking" considering it's intention.

In considering it's actual intention I concluded it sucked.
In considering the amount of material in the book I concluded there was nothing there to make a movie off of.

I didn't conflate the two things, they're two independent aspects that sum to suggest even greater potential suckiness of the film.

Ajamil
2nd October 09, 02:37 PM
So you're saying it fails its objective of delighting children when being read to them or by them - and you achieved this by having you as an adult read it and decide that it sucked?

UpaLumpa
2nd October 09, 03:35 PM
Yep, that's about it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th October 09, 07:27 PM
This movie rocks house. It's not really a children's movie and it's not a simple movie, I think a lot of people will leave wondering why they just watched a kid playing with a disfunctional family of monsters for two hours.

A lot of things had a Jim Henson feel to it, especially the owls.

Zendetta
16th October 09, 08:31 PM
How much did you have to smoke to get that effect?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th October 09, 09:36 PM
that part of my life is behind me

Dark Helmet
16th October 09, 11:04 PM
What?

Smoking weed or wearing open toe high heels?

Ajamil
17th October 09, 11:06 AM
Was the music good?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
17th October 09, 12:49 PM
What?

Smoking weed or wearing open toe high heels?

Smoking crack, son! You know, that's why I had to start crossdressing in the first place.

Was the music good?

It was alright but there were times when it felt like Karen O needed to shut her mouth and provide atmosphere instead of singing.

Zendetta
17th October 09, 12:51 PM

What, did you run out?

Don't worry. You'll be back on your knees in no time.

Ajamil
22nd October 09, 10:55 AM
http://img.listal.com/image/402671/600full-tropic-thunder-photo.jpg

He's a boy dressed up as a wolf pretending to be our king.

Odd movie, but well done. Captured the "do anything you want sucks when other people try it too" nicely. I could see where people might think this was too violent or too morbid for kids (so the papers say), but I would disagree with them.

cuatro76
3rd November 09, 05:04 PM
It looked great, but I didn't really care about the story. Spike Jonze should go back to photographing skateboarders.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 10, 02:53 PM
Watching the special features, I realize that Spike Jonze is probably not a safe man to have around kids.

10th March 10, 03:29 PM
Watching the special features, I realize that Spike Jonze is probably not a safe man to have around kids.
"Strong enough for a man, made for an MJS"

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 10, 03:30 PM
spike jonze? no. but max records is probably going to be pretty cute when he's 18

bob
18th April 10, 05:55 AM
Really enjoyed this. Childhood is srs business.

Great looking film too, loved the Australian locations.