PDA

View Full Version : World's longest basketball shot

Craigypooh
23rd September 09, 03:28 PM
Dude makes a basket from the top tier of a football stadium:

W77uk1ejcpY

Possibly fake but more likely the result of hours of throws and retakes. They've gone to the trouble of producing videos with two different views and also a split screen version.

socratic
25th September 09, 05:45 AM
I liked how the ball seemed to curve mid-air.

Craigypooh
25th September 09, 09:07 AM
Yeah that looked a bit weird.

Ajamil
25th September 09, 03:41 PM
Aww, intarwebz is down at home and library won't let me look at youtube. Is a sad panda.

danniboi07
14th October 09, 03:08 PM
Both views

Socratic is right...if you watch the ground camera, you can clearly see a change in direction of the ball.

ZDNJxodKrZY

Steve
14th October 09, 03:12 PM
Doesn't surprise me that over that distance there might be a "curve." Just like the laces on a baseball, the grooved lines on a basketball would probably have the same effect.

Lucky shot.

danniboi07
14th October 09, 03:47 PM
Wait a sec....wait a sec.....calculating Stoke's Law in my mind.....

maybe.

socratic
15th October 09, 06:56 AM
My guess at the time was either 'fake' or 'air resistance'. Balls curve mid-air all the time; it's a real trick effective trick, as you baseball-lovin' no-good Yanks would all know :P

Sun Wukong
15th October 09, 09:16 AM
I think people have to bear in mind that the ball is accelerating downward the entire time it is in flight since it has no lift. It's forward momentum is fading while it's downward momentum is increasing, so naturally it looks odd given the extreme distance the ball began from the ground.

Ajamil
15th October 09, 12:19 PM
That looks like afternoon, maybe early evening yes? Who thinks they spent all day trying to get this to work?

Craigypooh
15th October 09, 04:39 PM
Perhaps several days?