PDA

View Full Version : WTF why japanese jeans

Robot Jesus
21st September 09, 03:10 AM
seriously, what makes them so special?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st September 09, 03:20 AM
The Japanese are currently the kings of denim. This isn't just my opinion or a hyperbole, there is literally no one who does denim like them. It originally started in the early 80s, to fill the demand for Levi's jeans which were not available in Japan at the time. They started copying old Levi's to the T, going to great lengths to use the same sort of looms and weaving techniques, the same sort of detailing such as back pocket rivets and using the self edge of the fabric to finish the outseam. Since then they've left even the old Levi's in the dust. Japanese denim is spun heavier and tighter, it's more durable, and it holds its color better than anything else, ever.

Incidentally most brands either copy the shit out of what the Japanese are doing or just go straight to the Japanese mills for the denim for their own jeans.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st September 09, 03:38 AM
Just kidding, it's because the Japanese are the best at anything they decide to do. I'm going to move there one day. I don't really fit in here in America but I know I'll be loved over there because I enjoy their cartoons.

Steve
21st September 09, 03:49 AM
You are also not easy to tell if you are a girl or a boy, so that helps too.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st September 09, 03:50 AM
Just because you got a little hard when you saw me doesn't mean I look like a girl.

partyboy
21st September 09, 08:12 AM
Just because you got a little hard when you saw me doesn't mean I look like a girl.

lol.

you said "little"

RickTheCritic
21st September 09, 05:42 PM
I'm intrigued; what are the best J denim brands out now? Preferably something that allows "swing" room.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st September 09, 05:46 PM
Most Japanese jeans do because they're copying the 501. Think Marlon Brando, James Dean, or Bruce Springsteen on the cover of Born in the USA. The ones I find most interesting for this sort of thing are Sugar Cane, Oni, and Studio D'Artisan. Levi's Vintage Clothing is also a good choice. They usually use either Japanese denim or Cone denim, which is really the only American mill left that can compete with the Japanese stuff. They've been supplying Levi's with denim for over a hundred years.

nihilist
22nd September 09, 03:13 AM
seriously, what makes them so special?

Because they make your ass look like Yoko's.

Ming Loyalist
22nd September 09, 09:15 PM
once you get a pair of japanese jeans you do not want to wear other denim. i literally took all my old jeans to goodwill. do not want.

Robot Jesus
23rd September 09, 02:17 PM
once you get a pair of japanese jeans you do not want to wear other denim. i literally took all my old jeans to goodwill. do not want.
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

assuming it's not, what brand is tailored for the more mesomorphic phenotype?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd September 09, 03:44 PM
It's not, my fast talking sent Ming out to a denimhead shop and now he's in love. It can work for you, too.

I mentioned it a couple posts up but most Japanese brands do repro fits, which aren't the most fashion forward but usually flatter all but the slimmest and huskiest bodytypes. It sort of depends on what you're looking for: fast or hard fading, light or heavyweight, sanforized or shrink to fit, very dark or lighter colored denim.

Ming Loyalist
23rd September 09, 09:30 PM
yeah it wasn't sarcasm at all.

i agree with MJS, a reproduction cut might be best, maybe a sugar cane brand or levis vintage clothing (vintage cuts from 1870-1983). if you don't live in a big city you'll have to buy them online though (sizing is gonna be a pain in the ass.)