PDA

View Full Version : City of Lost Children

Ajamil
19th September 09, 11:35 AM
Man, it's been too long since I've seen this movie, but even with a bad review to follow I wanted to let people know of this movie if they don't already.

CNYG9cXTSds

The visuals and feeling of the movie is a surrealistic noir style - like an urban fairy tale. It's filmed in French and subtitled, which always is fun and hosts a lot a lot of creepy characters, like the Siamese twin head of the orphanage you saw.

Here, instead of letting my terrible recollection ruin the chances of you seeing the movie, I'll let Rotten Tomatoes describe it to you.

In THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, an imaginative fantasy from the creators of DELICATESSEN, a prematurely aging mad scientist named Krank (Daniel Emilfork) kidnaps children so he can steal their... In THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, an imaginative fantasy from the creators of DELICATESSEN, a prematurely aging mad scientist named Krank (Daniel Emilfork) kidnaps children so he can steal their dreams. However, Krank runs into trouble when his henchmen grab Denrée (Joseph Lucien), a little boy whose adopted brother, One (Ron Perelman), is a circus strongman. One desperately tries to find Denrée and begs for help from Miette (Judith Vittet), a 9-year-old girl who heads up a gang of orphans. Together, One and Miette finally find Krank's castle, meeting along the way the lost identical brother--the original--of the three clones (each played by Dominique Pinon) who serve as Krank's assistants. French directors Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet once again prove their technical prowess with this dark fairy tale, which features outstanding performances from its youthful cast (most notably Vittet). As is the case with DELICATESSEN, however, their genius in constructing a highly artificial, beautiful, believable world threatens to overshadow the story. But even the fantastic sets cannot compare to the bizarre spectacles that Jeunet and Caro dream up. In one unforgettable scene, a pair of evil Siamese twin sisters prepare dinner, their four arms working perfectly in sync--one holding vegetables for another to chop while a third stirs the soup and a fourth scratches their collective itches. Frequent David Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti creates the chilling, circusy musical score that adds to the film's magic.

A nice scene, sans subtitles - impromptu Rube Goldberg device FTW!

sKCjRHhjVhE

SBG-ape
19th September 09, 12:15 PM
This is one of my favorite movies. The director's style reminds me of Terry Gilliam. This is aesthetically like a French answer to the film Brazil, although thematically it's quite different.

boondock lee
19th September 09, 01:39 PM
Wait, Hellboy is in this movie?

Oh yeah, I am seeing this after dark city.

resolve
19th September 09, 01:50 PM
You still managed to post this in the wrong section though :P

Awesomeness with an extra side of awesomesauce.

bob
19th September 09, 04:44 PM
Watch Delicatessan.

Shawarma
19th September 09, 06:05 PM
A better movie, yes, but COLC is still a fantastic experience - It is also the reason why organ grinders scare the shit out of me, even today.

bob
19th September 09, 10:57 PM
I hold a minority opinion that Alien Resurrection was one of the better Alien films simply because I find JPJ's style so engrossing.

Oh, and I liked Amelie. [/confession]

Ajamil
19th September 09, 11:45 PM
Amelie was a good movie, but Alien Resurrection? Five points from Griffindor. Ripley was fucking. DEAD. They killed the beauty of her role by bringing her back.

bob
19th September 09, 11:51 PM
As I said, mostly I just liked the visuals.

DAYoung
20th September 09, 02:18 AM
Great film.

So let it be written.

mrblackmagic
20th September 09, 12:12 PM
I was 12 when I saw this movie and it still creeps the hell out of me.
Does anybody know how the villain died at the end? I saw him turn into child and then back into an old man; then he just flat-lined.

Did somebody mention Delicatessen? "I learned that from an Australian!"
That movie needs to be your must see before dying list