PDA

View Full Version : Why the matrix trilogy was awesome

Arhetton
19th September 09, 05:21 AM
So for some reason, I've heard a lot of people didn't like the matrix trilogy - personally, I thought the whole thing was brilliant. Unfortunately for me someone spoilt the ending of the third one before I saw the last movie, but that didn't stop me enjoying them.

I've decided to review and explain the three movies through the key scenes where neo is changing, explaining why I think this series is great and why people don't understand it.

I am posting the scenes out of sequence to highlight the main detail I wish to illuminate.

It's the little things that matter.

xk5ahbpOsWA

This scene, where neo meets the oracle, and he believes he's not the one (notice she never outright says it to his face, it is implied in the dialogue, but left unsaid).

g6BswUgmvu0

Heres a scene from the second movie where neo meets the oracle and she reveals there are rogue programs in the matrix

2AwPzKhr9BY

This is the scene in the second movie where neo meets the merovingian, a program from an earlier version of the matrix.

arcJksDgCOU

This scene seems so obvious looking back. What happens? Neo takes the Red pill. That should really be the first hint, people should see it, but they don't. The pill is emphasized and placed in the centrepiece of cinematic sequences which emphasize it as a plot device.

all of the other little moments when neo eats something are in the periphery - not given the same landmark importance, and thats why people miss them. The merovingian wrote a program contained in a piece of cake, that gave a woman an orgasm. Food is programable. What's the meddling oracle been giving neo throughout the movies? Cookies & Candy. Upgrades. The oracle has been influencing neo's code.

DGsI1T1i9Ik

Neo finally refuses to eat the candy he is offered. Hes come as far as he can go.

k1y9vl2J9VE

This scene has been endlessly parodied, quite successfully I might add but most of the people I've spoken to claim to have pretty much not understood at all what the fuck was being said here. I imagine its different for anyone who loves sci-fi, I'm sure everyone understands.

Neo visits the architect, a gatekeeper program for the source. He explains there are multiple incarnations of the matrix: heaven, hell, V3.0, V4.0 etc. Each time an anomaly (the one) has appeared, being the remainder of an equation in the matrixes central program that doesn't quite balance, so once the error has reached a critical mass they simply reboot the system. If the one doesn't visit the source to help with the reboot its like the ultimate blue screen of death on your computer.

The architect is the antithesis to the oracle, they are at odds in how to solve the inherant instability of the matrix - the oracle believes in a more human friendly solution to the problem.

The only real unknown thats left hanging in the movie is how neo is able to connect to the matrix without the cable being plugged into the back of his head. I think the only acceptable sci-fi explaination without resorting to mysticism is that is some kind of wireless connection thats been activated. Perhaps the machines have installed some kind of wireless monitoring device in humans and thats how they know the location and population of zion, maybe its a nanotech device, who knows.

We know its closer to the year 2100 and what is basically the singularity has occured - machine intelligence eclipsing human intelligence. The matrix is like some mega-internet on steroids and who knows what kind of advanced technology its based on. It would have been nice if there was a bit of an explaination within the movie though for neos connection.

The main point is that neo has some kind of satellite connection to the matrix because he's visited the source, which significantly upgraded his programming and possibly the firmware in his body. He is able to influence all machines which are connected to the source because of it - he's not channelling electromagnetic fields or using the force, he's basically sending the machines data which controls or disables them through his remote connection.

The first time that neo uses this new connection, he jacks himself into some bizarre space between the real world and the matrix and is unable to get himself out.

2tzKC9_p7KA

Anyway, more later, but I'm off to drink beers.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
19th September 09, 05:39 AM
- Keanu Reeves
- Actually the second two movies sucked pretty hard

partyboy
19th September 09, 06:56 AM
*stops, backs up slowly and leaves the room*

Cullion
19th September 09, 07:04 AM
If the first film hadn't ended with Neo flying like superman, they might have been able to recover it from there.

Odacon
19th September 09, 08:05 AM
Second film had great action sequences, the third was a massive letdown.

Shawarma
19th September 09, 08:05 AM
All of them had Keanu Reeves.

End of discussion.

CoffeeFan
19th September 09, 09:44 AM
First one was a classic, they should had left it alone.
Second one had cool action, but not much else.
Third one was terrible. Just plain awefull

danno
19th September 09, 10:23 AM
coffeefan is correct.

district 9 will be the same thing all over again.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
19th September 09, 10:44 AM
coffeefan is correct.

district 9 will be the same thing all over again.

no, because the first movie was already pretty whack

danno
19th September 09, 11:01 AM
did you like D9?

Ajamil
19th September 09, 11:11 AM
I loved the first one, but I still get dissapointed when I think about how it didn't end with Neo dying. I thought that was the best thing ever until he got up and went...well...all Neo on everyone.

The last two were let downs, even with Chinese action stars and Japanese anime fight scenes (LOL, DBZ).

I really liked Animatrix and the bonus CD that came with box set going into depth on the intended philosophical points of the Matrix.

The food thing is a facet I hadn't noticed before, thank you for that. Do you think Cypher's betrayal came about from food as well? Remember the whole dinner scene with the steak?

Dark Helmet
19th September 09, 11:53 AM
Confused Matthew of Youtube critiques The Matrix Reloaded step by step through shitty pseudo-philisoesque(not a real word) film and I totally agree with everything Matthew says.

The Matrix Reloaded Movie Review pt1
mllRWv6uSXA

The Matrix Revolutions Movie Review pt1
Ufepp68pLP8

*you can jump to the next parts and enjoy the well deserved trashing these movies receives.

EuropIan
19th September 09, 02:43 PM
did you like D9?
MJS and I saw it.. He didn't like it as much as I did..

elipson
19th September 09, 03:44 PM
Ha. Good Videos Helmet! I also hate reading anything post-modern. Self-righteous windbags who like to use bigger words than are necesary.

Matrix series = Combine one part Terminator, one part Dark City, steal large amounts from the comic series "The invisibles", wrap it all in psuedo christian allegory for the bible, and gloss nicely over with cool special effects and fight scenes. (I also tasted a hint of Frank Herbert, but I couldn't quite put my finger on where).

I loved the first one, the second was cool mostly for the part where Morpheus Iaido sliced the Escalade into a ball of flame, and the third one had me YELLING AT THE FUCKING TELEVISION it was so horribly bad!

Dark Helmet
19th September 09, 04:01 PM
What's funny was I thought the first one was mainly about the fantasy about nerds learning martial arts without the effort that's involved. Who new the movies went beyond entertainment?

Dagon Akujin
19th September 09, 04:27 PM
The main point is that neo has some kind of satellite connection to the matrix because he's visited the source, which significantly upgraded his programming and possibly the firmware in his body. He is able to influence all machines which are connected to the source because of it - he's not channelling electromagnetic fields or using the force, he's basically sending the machines data which controls or disables them through his remote connection.

The first time that neo uses this new connection, he jacks himself into some bizarre space between the real world and the matrix and is unable to get himself out.

The entire franchise would have been much better if instead of that retarded theory (which others have said, I'm not saying that the movie doesn't lead you to that possibility) that the reason Neo could control the hunter-bots in "earth world" and do that other shit was because "earth world" was another massive Matrix.

But no.... they had to fuck it up with that bullshit.

Odacon
19th September 09, 05:22 PM
The critical failure of the matrix series is one of it's main plot points, that machines are using human beings as a power source. It. Makes. No. Sense.

RickTheCritic
19th September 09, 06:26 PM
The critical failure of the matrix series is one of it's main plot points, that machines are using human beings as a power source. It. Makes. No. Sense.

and solent green is people.

Cullion
19th September 09, 06:31 PM
Soylent Green being people makes total sense if you just really fucking love tender pork and don't think about the legalities and economics too much.

elipson
19th September 09, 07:08 PM
The entire franchise would have been much better if instead of that retarded theory (which others have said, I'm not saying that the movie doesn't lead you to that possibility) that the reason Neo could control the hunter-bots in "earth world" and do that other shit was because "earth world" was another massive Matrix. This would have been a MUCH better way to end the series.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
19th September 09, 08:34 PM
MJS and I saw it.. He didn't like it as much as I did..

It was shaping up to be an alright movie but about halfway to maybe two thirds into it it felt like they ran out of time or just stopped caring and wanted to wrap it up as quickly and easily as they could.

Arhetton
19th September 09, 10:23 PM
The entire franchise would have been much better if instead of that retarded theory (which others have said, I'm not saying that the movie doesn't lead you to that possibility) that the reason Neo could control the hunter-bots in "earth world" and do that other shit was because "earth world" was another massive Matrix.

But no.... they had to fuck it up with that bullshit.
Hey good point :) that was one of the major theories between when they released the second and third movies, but can you see how that would have kind of led to an ongoing theme of that - the infinite regress which is one of the 'atheist' arguments for lack of the creator god etc. I admit thats a possible plotline they didn't explore and one which would have been cool.

The food thing is a facet I hadn't noticed before, thank you for that. Do you think Cypher's betrayal came about from food as well? Remember the whole dinner scene with the steak?
ah great point! I didn't even think of that myself.

Cypher is an important character, or at least what he represents. The machines strategy within the matrix isn't only to send agents out to bash the heads in of jacked in humans (and potentially rogue programs too), they also use 'diplomacy' - this is one of the first offers to neo as well, to betray morpheus. They are sneaky.

Everything that happens in the movies is kind of based on the 'black market' or the 'organized crime' element of the matrix. The characters don't exactly walk around talking to normal humans, in fact they avoid them and seek out the underground elements of the matrix. The agents very obviously look like the secret service.

Some people got very shitty over the CG scenes and the flying sequences. Personally I just think, well get over it. Part of the movies thing was to push film technology in new directions, alot like george lucas did with the star wars trilogy (and there are many sins there we don't have time to discuss). Also the makers of the films are obvious fans of a lot of genres of film and video games, of which I thought alot of the characters were very fitting.

Having played alot of video games during high school, alot of the 'powers' of neo and various characters look alot like exploits or cheat codes from early video games. Modifying gravity was something you could do from command line in quake, flying and moving through walls was something you could do with noclip. Theres the 'god mode' for when you want to be invincible etc. There are cheats to get weapons that you want (alot like the weapon loadout scene from the first movie).

The films are obviously rich in computer references and coming out around the peak of the dot com boom and a time when technology was being hyped to be exponential with no limit, represents the gross overestimation of whats really possible with technology.

There are many characters in the movie that you could either like or hate, and the other majorly significant character is of course agent smith, whose dialogue is pretty much related to the 'destiny vs free will' theme which is present in all three movies, and much of his dialogue represents the existential vein of the movies.

kndX3tVxCt8

smith is a program who chooses exile over deletion, and is another great character in the movie

hUAie-X3u8I

but the real reason the matrix trilogy is awesome, is because it produced this 37 second long film clip

YvEibGgp-GA

Dark Helmet
19th September 09, 10:42 PM
Although I have agreed with Confused Matthew's overall analysis of some movies, (thumbs up vs. Thumbs down) I have never seen one I like. The guy cannot suspend disbelief and spends minutes pontificating on the smallest minutiae that someone who enjoys movies should be able to overlook. I think Confused Matthew is the movie reviewer for that one person in the group who walks out of a good movie complaining because a character in the movie called a gun a Glock17 when it was really a Glock17S.
Then I hurriedly recommend you visit his website. Listen to his opinion on the last of his reviews. Especially, the ones on Star Wars, Spider Man and more importantly Independence Day. Matthew tries not to ever change a persons mind. His review is meant to give HIS opinion on some of the movies. It was in fact his review of The Lion King is when I got hooked.

There actually very enjoyable to watch and his reviews are fun and witty.

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/Movie-Reviews.php

RickTheCritic
19th September 09, 10:48 PM
The problem with the matrix trilogy is the Wa... . The We... .Those brothers stole the script for the first movie, then did not really know how to follow up the plot in the sequels.

elipson
20th September 09, 03:33 PM
Cypher is an important character, or at least what he represents.

Which is why they should have explored the fucking question more than they did. That's why the animatrix was better than 2 and 3. It at least explored the question in a serious manner.

Some people got very shitty over the CG scenes and the flying sequences. Personally I just think, well get over it.

Fuck.
You.

It looked like shit and felt completely out of place in the movies. They also didn't have to resort to bad CG in the first movie. I don't think it qualifies as puhing computer generated graphics to a new level if the entire audience collectively says "what the fuck was that shit?"

bob
20th September 09, 06:03 PM
Grant Morrison gets the last word:

DRE: This may be old news but was the controversy over The Matrix films being like The Invisibles blown out of proportion? GM: It's really simple. The truth of that one is that design staff on The Matrix were given Invisibles collections and told to make the movie look like my books. This is a reported fact. The Wachowskis are comic book creators and fans and were fans of my work, so it's hardly surprising. I was even contacted before the first Matrix movie was released and asked if I would contribute a story to the website.
It's not some baffling 'coincidence' that so much of The Matrix is plot by plot, detail by detail, image by image, lifted from Invisibles so there shouldn't be much controversy. The Wachowskis nicked The Invisibles and everyone in the know is well aware of this fact but of course they're unlikely to come out and say it.
It was just too bad they deviated so far from the Invisibles philosophical template in the second and third movies because they blundered helplessly into boring Catholic theology, proving that they hadn't HAD the 'contact' experience that drove The Invisibles, and they wrecked both
'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions' on the rocks of absolute incomprehension. They should have kept on stealing from me and maybe they would have wound up with something to really be proud of - a movie that could change minds and hearts and worlds.
I love the first Matrix movie which I think is a real work of cinematic genius and very timely but I've now heard from several people who worked on The Matrix and they've all confirmed that they were given Invisibles books as reference. That's how it is. I'm not angry about it anymore, although at one time I was because they made millions from what was basically a Xerox of my work and to be honest, I would be happy with just one million so I didn't have to work thirteen hours of every fucking day, including weekends.
In the end, I was glad they got the ideas out but very disappointed that they blew it so badly and distorted all the Gnostic transcendental aspects that made the first film so strong and potent. If they had any sense, they would have befriended me instead of pissing me off. They seem like nice boys.

Harpy
20th September 09, 09:01 PM
This thread proves that every single one of you is a homo.

Two words, Monica Belluci (but noooooo, you guys are more into Keanu and Lawrence).

Dark Helmet
20th September 09, 09:56 PM
This thread proves that every single one of you is a homo.

Two words, Monica Belluci (but noooooo, you guys are more into Keanu and Lawrence).
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5842/1252975295336.png (http://img8.imageshack.us/i/1252975295336.png/)